Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies That Appeal to You But Have Never Watched All the Way Through

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe I'm the only one here where this happens: say there's a movie that you've seen and enjoyed scenes many times before and not much else (DVD has made this so much easier to do). It's a movie that looks good. You want to watch it from beginning to end, but you just never get to it. You don't know why. Some might be critically acclaimed. You might find the cast, director, actors all appealing, but you just can't make the time or summon the patience. So, do you have any movies that are on your "to-do" list that you never seem to get around to watching from beginning to end?

For me:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (any cut)

and

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

How about you?
Old 11-15-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Movies That Appeal to You But Have Never Watched All the Way Through

None.

If I want to watch a movie I'll see the whole thing. If something comes up I'll watch it later that day or the next, but that's extremely rare. If you can't put aside the time to watch a movie, what's the point in trying to watch it?
Old 11-15-16, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

This was an issue back in the day when local stations ran lots of old movies and there was no home video and no opportunity to see a movie again until the station ran it again and you maybe tuned in during the movie and decided to watch or it was late at night and you could only see the beginning before going to sleep.

I've made a point in the last couple of years of catching up with movies that I'd previously seen only in portions. These include:

GABRIEL OVER THE WHITE HOUSE (1933)
DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1941)
KIM (1950)
JUBAL (1956)
BATTLE HYMN (1957)
KING CREOLE (1958)
RUN SILENT RUN DEEP (1958)
THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968)
JEREMIAH JOHNSON (1972)

I enjoyed all of them.

I watched three on DVD, five on cable as they were broadcast (TCM) and one on VHS.
Old 11-15-16, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Again, none. I have a bunch of movies I WANT to watch that I've never gotten around to (I have a closet full of Blu-rays still in their shrink wrap - well over 500), but I've never started watching something I really enjoyed and turned it off (I never jump into a movie half-way on TV unless I've already seen it).