Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel’s Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 06:58 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Marvel’s Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

ABC has given a green light to Marvel’s The Inhumans, a live-action TV series from Marvel Television. As part of the deal announced today, the first two episodes of the superhero series will debut on Imax screens ahead of a planned fall 2017 premiere on the broadcast network. The move marks the giant-screen exhibitor first time as a financing participant in a TV pilot and series.

This is the other shoe to drop after Disney this spring pulled a planned Inhumans feature film from its July 12, 2019 release date. Several movies in the series has been planned, and the first one had a script by Joe Robert Cole (Black Panther). Originally, Inhumans was part of Marvel’s 3.0 phase, with the studio delving even deeper into their vaults to launch more of their niche superheros on the big screen.

The Inhumans are a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers, first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. The series will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.

The TV series will be produced in conjunction with ABC Studios and filmed entirely with Imax digital cameras. The first two episodes will run worldwide exclusively in Imax for two weeks in September 2017.

“This unprecedented alliance represents a bold, innovative approach to launching great TV content for a worldwide audience,” said Ben Sherwood, co-chairman, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney-ABC Television Group. “It highlights Disney-ABC’s unrelenting commitment to finding new and creative ways to showcasing our very best programming and increasing global engagement and reach.”
http://deadline.com/2016/11/the-inhu...17-1201854503/
Old 11-14-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: ‘Marvel’s The Inhumans’ Set At ABC For Fall 2017

So this is why it was pulled from movie slate and Marvel has been super quiet about it. Interesting.

I am in.
Old 11-14-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

This is gonna revolutionize television.
Old 11-14-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never made it thru season 2 of SHIELD. Is this gonna continue those "inhumans" story or will it be Black Bolt/Medusa/Lockjaw proper?
Old 11-14-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

With this getting greenlit to series, my guess is Agents of Shield either gets cancelled in May or they give it one last short final season.

I'll be curious who they hire for the creative team to write/produce this series.
Old 11-14-16, 08:52 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

THR article offers more details:

Marvel has landed another series on ABC: The Inhumans.

The comic book studio — which previously abandoned plans for an Inhumans feature film — is now set to team with ABC Studios for an eight-episode live-action drama series set to premiere in the fall of 2017.

Few details are known about the project, including producers, cast and premise. The first two episodes of the series will debut in Imax theaters for two weeks in summer 2017 before moving to ABC in September where they will be followed by six subsequent new episodes.

Sources note that this is not the planned Inhumans feature film, which was initially set for July 2019 but pulled from the schedule. It is also not a spinoff of Marvel drama Agents of SHIELD, which has spent a good deal of time exploring a storyline about its Inhumans.

The Inhumans, a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers, were first introduced in Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in 1965. Since then, they have become among the most popular characters in the Marvel Universe.

ABC's The Inhumans will explore the never-before-told epic adventure of Black Bolt and the royal family.

For ABC, this marks the latest Marvel drama to join the network's schedule. The network last season canceled Agent Carter after two seasons and passed on a spinoff of Agents of SHIELD. Marvel, meanwhile, is teaming with Hulu on another comic book-based series that is in development and has a full slate of dramas at Netflix as well as upcoming X-Men spinoff Legion at FX, among other projects.

The big-screen version of The Inhumans was announced two years ago for a 2018 release. It was pushed back to 2019 as part of a shuffle to make room for Spider-Man: Homecoming, before being pulled from the schedule in April. Marvel had been positioning the Inhumans to be the Marvel Cinematic Universe's answer to The X-Men. In recent comics, Marvel has portrayed them as a persecuted minority, similar to the Marvel mutant characters Fox has the film and TV rights to.

For Imax, this marks the first time a TV series has debuted in theaters in this fashion. Imax will also serve as a financing participant on the pilot. It's also the first time a TV series has debuted in Imax.

“This unprecedented alliance represents a bold, innovative approach to launching great TV content for a worldwide audience,” said Ben Sherwood, co-chairman, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney|ABC Television Group. “It highlights Disney|ABC’s unrelenting commitment to finding new and creative ways to showcasing our very best programming and increasing global engagement and reach.”

The Inhumans TV series will also be filmed completely with Imax cameras.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-series-947296
Old 11-14-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Marvel’s Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

Wow, only 8 episodes?
Old 11-14-16, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could just delay SHIELD 2 months from starting if this starts in Sept. I don't think ABC wants 2 superhero shows on the same time.
Old 11-14-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

would fit in the agent carter slot from previous seasons when AoS is on hiatus.
Old 11-15-16, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It would have been better as a movie series. I get the feeling this will end up being an AoS watered down piece of crap where the characters look nothing like their comic counterparts. It feels cheap already.
Old 11-15-16, 08:27 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Marvel’s The Inhumans Set At ABC For Fall 2017

Originally Posted by DJariya
Wow, only 8 episodes?
Can't afford to have Black Bolt flying for more than that.
Old 11-15-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I figured SHIELD would be converted into The Inhumans.

At least it seemed that way last year when we quit watching it.
Old 11-15-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So they just called it a mini-series cause they didn't want to cancel it after 8 episodes?

The lesson here is just do it fucking right.
Old 11-15-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I am cautiously optimistic. Black Bolt is one of my favorite Marvel characters, but it's very hard to construct a series around a character that literally can't speak.

Casting for Medusa is absolutely critical. The series hinges on that casting.
Old 11-15-16, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have doubts this will work on ABC budget. That world is expensive as fuck. Also... big fucking dog that teleports.
Old 11-15-16, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I have doubts this will work on ABC budget. That world is expensive as fuck. Also... big fucking dog that teleports.
But as I've seen nearly everywhere referencing this news, Marvel also thinks/realizes they've done got the next Rocket/Groot breakout $$$$$ character in Lockjaw - meaning odds are crazy good they'll invest a ****ton in doing the CG "right", budgets be damned, in eager expectation of all that mad merchandising cash flowing in with a huge, slobbering teleporting dog.
Old 11-15-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Really hope Lockjaw is in this and is decently done.
Old 11-15-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I know Marvel comics matters little to the filmmaking and tv divisions, but does this mean they're finally giving up on having Inhumans be the X-Men replacement of the Marvel Universe?
Old 11-15-16, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I suspect Disney wants to test reactions to the Inhumans with this show. They can then pivot them to an actual theatrical feature.
Old 11-15-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I still would be shocked if any character that starts on Marvel TV finds his or her way into a theatrical feature. If the Inhumans are on TV, it means the theatrical division doesn't want them.
Old 11-15-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I still would be shocked if any character that starts on Marvel TV finds his or her way into a theatrical feature. If the Inhumans are on TV, it means the theatrical division doesn't want them.
I saw a quote from Chloe Bennett recently saying how frustrated she was that the Marvel feature side likes to pretend that Agents of Shield doesn't exist. Even though Coulson is technically part of that universe and Nick Fury appeared in season 1. Plus, Jaime Alexander appeared in a few episodes.

They've been saying that this Inhumans show is not a spinoff of Shield, so I'm guessing they are starting this completely from scratch with probably an entirely new creative team.
Old 11-15-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

TV shows reference the movies, movies do not reference or acknowledge the TV shows. This includes Netflix shows, as much as everyone likes them. They are totally separate divisions. I don't doubt that this is a new creative team. I still doubt that we will ever see them in a feature once they're established on TV.
Old 11-16-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I realize it's not a spinoff but I figured this would still be in the same universe as Agents of SHIELD and be the same race of Inhumans as Daisy and the others, just the royal family. But I agree that if they introduce Black Bolt on a tv show he's not headlining a movie.
Old 11-16-16, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I avoid ABC shows... they all seem cheap and watered down. So didn't expect much of this before, much less now that it's apparently only an 8 episode mini-series.
Old 11-16-16, 03:18 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

As a huge Marvel fanboy who will watch everything Marvel, i still don't want to see over saturation

Separate to the Netflix series, which are doing well, for broadcast TV, rather than AoS and the inhumans, i would like to see a generic "the Marvel show" and allow for any other character in the Marvel universe not licensed to others to appear.

Have a few inhuman episodes, cool

Have an episode about the Wrecking Crew, cool

Have an episode about the unlimited class wrestling league and Demolition Dunphy, cool

Have an episode set in the microverse, cool

Have special "what if' episodes, cool

Have special "Marvel Team up' episodes, cool

Have some episodes about the Secret War and the Beyonder, cool

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.