Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robert Vaughn has passed away

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actor Robert Vaughn, most famous as Napoleon Solo in Man From Uncle, has died today aged 83.

Vaughn, who also starred in the Magnificent Seven, Coronation Street and Hustle, is survived by wife Linda, son Cassidy and daughter Caitlin.

His manager Matthew Sullivan confirmed to Deadline this evening that that he had passed away following a short battle with acute leukemia.

“Mr. Vaughn passed away with him family around him,” the spokesperson said.
I really liked him as an actor. The all-time greatest delivery of the word "alive" :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nyMtN_aHC_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-11-16, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Robert Vaughn has passed away

RIP

He was chilling as the voice of Proteus in Demon Seed.
He was good friends with Steve McQueen and they partied hard together, they shared 3 films.
Old 11-12-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember watching Man From U.N.C.L.E. as a kid and loved it. We used to play it in the yard as kids. 83 is a good run though. Man left behind a nice legacy.
Old 11-12-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

RIP. So is that the last of the Mag 7? Him and McQueen played well off of each other in Bullitt .

I will also say, he was great hamming it up in Superman III.
Old 11-12-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
He was great hamming it up in a lot of stuff - he was great at hamming it up in general! He did a lot of that from the 70's forward (as he got older).

I always liked him. Good actor, very memorable.
Old 11-12-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

RIP. So is that the last of the Mag 7? Him and McQueen played well off of each other in Bullitt .

He was the best thing in Superman III (sorry Richard Pryor). He was also fun in "Pootie Tang"!
Old 11-12-16, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I loved "The Man from UNCLE" when I was an adolescent. In fact, I started watching UNCLE a year before I saw my first James Bond film.

Vaughn introduced a screening of THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN a few years ago at Lincoln Center in Manhattan. I got to speak to him briefly beforehand, telling him that I learned about the Hollywood blacklist from watching an UNCLE episode that featured Howard da Silva, who had just come off the blacklist. My father told me the story as we watched the episode. I later bought Vaughn's book on the blacklist, "Only Victims." I told him all this and his response was: "Now buy my new book."

But, yeah, he was the last surviving member of the Magnificent Seven. There may be a supporting actor or two from the Mexican cast who's still around, but I'd have to research that to see.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 11-12-16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Slightly uncomfortable appearance on Ed the Sock.

Vaughn was in town promoting his dinner-theatre run in "I Hate Hamlet". At the time, he was famous for hosting the infomercial for the baldness cure called "The Helsinki Formula".

Every time he looks to his right, he's looking through the control room window giving dirty looks to the publicist who booked him for this interview.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ix4wBmUwTJw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-12-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

He was great as Ross Webster:

"I ask you to kill Superman, and you're telling me you couldn't do that one simple thing."
Old 11-12-16, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I always enjoyed his presence in just about every movie he was in, but aside from U.N.C.L.E, I really enjoyed him in the show Hustle. I actually didn't even know it existed, then came across it one day on AXS. It was a pretty good show, and so late in his career, it was nice seeing him in a prominent role. RIP.
Old 11-12-16, 09:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Don't forget his performance as Gelt in Battle Beyond the Stars.

Bought The Man from U.N.C.L.E. complete series (in the attache' case) at a garage sale for $10 a couple of years ago, we've watched several episodes but not the whole series yet, used to watch it when it was on TV back in the day. I always liked Robert Vaughn, thought he was a good and distinguished actor.

RIP Mr. Solo...
Old 11-13-16, 02:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

RIP.

... he was great hamming it up in Superman III.
Wayne Rogers was offered that role, but turned it down because of the contract clause of having to possibly come back later for re-shoots.