Supergirl (S2E05) -- "Crossfire" -- 11/7/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supergirl (S2E05) -- "Crossfire" -- 11/7/16

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 7

SUPERGIRL

"Crossfire" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

SUPERGIRL TAKES ON A RUTHLESS NEW GANG - Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) must beat a ruthless new gang who has been armed with dangerous new alien technology. When Cadmus sends a video to the DEO, the team realizes Cadmus is the one staffing the criminals for a secret mission. Meanwhile, Kara (Melissa Benoist) gets Mon-El (Chris Wood) a job as an intern at CatCo, James makes an important decision and Lena (Katie McGrath) invites Kara to attend one her fundraisers. Glen Winter directed the episode written by Gabriel Llanas & Anna Musky-Goldwyn (#205). Original airdate 11/7/2016.

Episode 5 of 22
Old 11-07-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S2E05) -- "Crossfire" -- 11/7/16

I liked this one because the alien shit was kept to a minimum (no fight club, cantina or Martians)--yay! Does Jimmy Olsen become a superhero in the comics?
Old 11-08-16, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I liked this one because the alien shit was kept to a minimum (no fight club, cantina or Martians)--yay! Does Jimmy Olsen become a superhero in the comics?
Oh brother. Silver Age Jimmy was kinda insane. He became a giant turtle man at one point. Hell, all the New Gods nonsense (Darkseid, Orion et al) started in Jimmys title. I was kinda halpy they went this way with him. Even though its the typical CW angsty-bullshit. Jimmy as some bizzare hero/creature sounds awesome to the silver age fan in me.
Old 11-08-16, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Jimmy is supposed to be "The Guardian". The Guardian appeared in "Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen" along with "The Newsboy Legion", when Jack Kirby was writing and drawing the book for a brief period in The '70s. As I recall they were all actually clones of characters out of The 40's. I think this is where Cadmus first appeared (as well as elements of the "New Gods" storyline). I'm doing this from memory, so feel free to come in and clean up my mistakes.

Last edited by DWilson; 11-09-16 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-08-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So not only is this going continuing to be DC MiB, now we have to endure Jimmy wanting to be a super hero. Groan. The cross overs can't come soon enough. Hopefully we can get some good Supergirl content in those.
Old 11-08-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

They are doing that with Alex. Bah, this is a superhero show not a romcom.
Old 11-08-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The reveal that Brenda Strong's character was in fact a Luthor (Lena's Mom) was interesting although not entirely surprising. It felt a little more like a normal Supergirl episode without the extraneous aliens running around.

Alex having some confusion with her identity didn't bother me. Other than work, the character through 25 episodes didn't really have a firm identity. I look at this as adding more depth to her. Kind of obvious she has a crush on Maggie.

Kara/Mon-El's scenes in the office was corny, but in good spirit. Overall, not a great episode like the 1st 2, but not bad either.
Old 11-08-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh. After starting out strong this season seems to be getting worse and worse and worse judging by next weeks preview.

-I enjoyed the stuff with Mon-El trying to adapt into being in disguise and his adventures in the office. It's corny and stupid but I can't lie that I wasn't laughing during it. Now it would be nice to start and see him develop his powers more.

-Maybe it's just me but it feels like this whole Alien amnesty thing is kind of pointless. I had honestly forgotten about it until James had that throw away line about it.

-Ugh here we go. I found all the scenes with Alex and Maggie cringe worthy. I also don't buy that she's a lesbian. In season one she was basically summarized as someone who was mainly married to her job at the DEO and married to trying to watch out for Kara. Now despite the fact that there was no hints about it in season one we find out all of a sudden she's a lesbian. Honestly it feels more like there doing this because they don't know what to do with her, have nothing to do with her and because someone decided they needed a gay character on Supergirl since every DC show has at least one gay character.

-Speaking of not knowing what to do with someone. You can tell now that James isn't Kara's older love interest who she could be into and not worry about hiding her powers he literally has no point anymore. So were going to make him a superhero. OK. That idea just seems stupid and them trying to set up his motivation to why he was doing it seemed more stupid. Maybe they'll kill him off like Smallville did and bring in the real Olsen.

-I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route and make Lena head of Cadmus. However I'm kind of bummed that they instead decided to make her Mom head of Cadmus. Also why wouldn't she be going after Superman since he put her son in jail? Honestly I would have preferred Maxwell Lord or even Lex being behind it.

I'm still watching this show but after how awesome the first two episodes were it was depressing to see it struggle now. I think the show would be a lot stronger if they dump Alex, dump James and dumped Catco which loses something without having Calista around.
Old 11-08-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Supergirl.............DODGE!!!!
Old 11-08-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Ugh. After starting out strong this season seems to be getting worse and worse and worse judging by next weeks preview.

-I enjoyed the stuff with Mon-El trying to adapt into being in disguise and his adventures in the office. It's corny and stupid but I can't lie that I wasn't laughing during it. Now it would be nice to start and see him develop his powers more.

-Maybe it's just me but it feels like this whole Alien amnesty thing is kind of pointless. I had honestly forgotten about it until James had that throw away line about it.

-Ugh here we go. I found all the scenes with Alex and Maggie cringe worthy. I also don't buy that she's a lesbian. In season one she was basically summarized as someone who was mainly married to her job at the DEO and married to trying to watch out for Kara. Now despite the fact that there was no hints about it in season one we find out all of a sudden she's a lesbian. Honestly it feels more like there doing this because they don't know what to do with her, have nothing to do with her and because someone decided they needed a gay character on Supergirl since every DC show has at least one gay character.

-Speaking of not knowing what to do with someone. You can tell now that James isn't Kara's older love interest who she could be into and not worry about hiding her powers he literally has no point anymore. So were going to make him a superhero. OK. That idea just seems stupid and them trying to set up his motivation to why he was doing it seemed more stupid. Maybe they'll kill him off like Smallville did and bring in the real Olsen.

-I'm glad they didn't go the predictable route and make Lena head of Cadmus. However I'm kind of bummed that they instead decided to make her Mom head of Cadmus. Also why wouldn't she be going after Superman since he put her son in jail? Honestly I would have preferred Maxwell Lord or even Lex being behind it.

I'm still watching this show but after how awesome the first two episodes were it was depressing to see it struggle now. I think the show would be a lot stronger if they dump Alex, dump James and dumped Catco which loses something without having Calista around.
Pretty sure Lena's mom is not Lex's mom. They just had the same dad.
Old 11-08-16, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Supergirl.............DODGE!!!!
That and the my eye beams meet your ray gun beams in a stalemate schtick is wearing thin ...
Old 11-09-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Other than the stuff with Alex, which was beyond terrible, I thought this was better than the last couple of episodes.

While this show struggled at times last year, imo, it was really finding it's groove by the end of the year. I was worried about what would happen with Flockhart leaving, and while it's still early, so far those worries have been validated.
Old 11-09-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I liked it with a couple caveats. This and the Flash, by all accounts are family shows. I watch with my two young daughters. I don't need characters discussing their sex lives or partially undressed characters getting it on in the copy room. They can imply plenty to get their point across. Supergirl's reaction was enough.

I guess I'm becoming a prude.
Old 11-09-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So you're not cool with the sexy times but the violence is a-ok?
Old 11-09-16, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

we live in America, of course violence is ok and sexy times are bad.
Old 11-09-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had the same thought. That tiny bit if sexual content they had in that last episode is the last thing that is keeping me from having my daughter watch Supergirl (or any of the CW DC shows). If they're old enough to watch all the other content in these things, that very PG sex scene is nothing.
Old 11-09-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It's cartoony violence though and usually involves a punchline or two. These two shows have a different vibe than Arrow and Legends which are more violent.
Old 11-09-16, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The violence seems to be pretty equally spread out between all the shows. People have to decide if they are cool with their kids watching the violence or not. I choose not.

There are more corny jokes on the shows that are not Arrow, but otherwise I wouldn't really say one is any different than the others.
Old 11-10-16, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey sex is always wrong and painful but nobody has ever been hurt by violence. This is why I beat the crap out of my kids and don't have sex with them. I can't stand these perverts showing sex to kids.

Joking aside I completely forgot there was a sex scene. I went back to watch it and can see why I forgot about it.
Old 11-10-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Joking aside I completely forgot there was a sex scene. I went back to watch it and can see why I forgot about it.
It wasn't even close to a real sex scene which is what really makes it much ado about nothing.
Old 11-10-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

My 3 year old daughter is a huge fan of Supergirl, but doesn't seem to care about this show of her. Heh, she dressed up as Supergirl for Halloween this year and watches the cartoon DC's Super Hero Girls though which is basically about all the girl Super Heroes going to High School together.

If she was actually interested in watching this, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I was kind of iffy at first, but eh, we watched Kubo and the Two Strings animated movie the other day and honestly the fight scenes in that were pretty much on par with anything shown in Supergirl so far and that 'sex scene' really had nothing to it.
Old 11-10-16, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I really thought Martian Manhunter was gonna be Supergirl at the party .
Old 11-10-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That would make too much sense. A bad sitcom cliché was a much better answer.
Old 11-10-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That wasn't in the budget. Remember that this show is now on the CW with a lower budget.

They blew out the budget on those first two episodes with Superman. It won't be that epic all season.
Old 11-10-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

This was the worst one so far.

Jimmy Olson is so miscast it is just nonsense now.
Plus all of a sudden he wants to be a hero because he's always been a sidekick blah blah blah ZZzzzzzz.

Now Supergirl isn't able to defeat normal humans who have laser guns? Stop it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.