Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shows that surprised you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 05:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Shows that surprised you?

Whether like or dislike, what old or recent shows have surprised you?

For me, at least recently, I find Superstore quite amusing. Usually don't get into new comedies of any kind, but this has surprised me in enjoyment...
Old 11-04-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Shows that surprised you?

Beavis and Butthead.

The entire show's premise sounded really bad at first. But in the end, it turned out to be hilarious.
Old 11-04-16, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I caught the first season of The 100 on Netflix, after swearing not to watch another teenage CW show. But, wow, was that an intense and totally great season and since then seasons 2 and 3 were as good.
Old 11-04-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Whether like or dislike, what old or recent shows have surprised you?

For me, at least recently, I find Superstore quite amusing. Usually don't get into new comedies of any kind, but this has surprised me in enjoyment...
Superstore has really improved this season. The first season had the POV that because these people worked at Walmart, they were losers. Now it is more about them being weirdos that share a workplace.
Old 11-04-16, 07:06 PM

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

Timeless has surprised me, as I was always planning on recording the show because I like to give most new shows on ABC/Fox/NBC/CBS/CW a shot, but I find Timeless to be a show I pay attention too and entertaining enough to get me to stop goofing on my tablet when I watch it off of my tivo.

A reaction to a show that has pleasantly surprised me is how a fair amount of DVD Talkers admit to enjoying Lethal Weapon.

As far as an older show that is still going strong, to this day I feel The Middle is an under rated gem of a show...funny and charming in a way that eludes many sitcoms.
Old 11-04-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Life in Pieces has grown on me. I thought the large cast, the odd show template and the inevitable comparisons to Modern Family would do it in, but I've been enjoying each of the characters quite a bit.
Old 11-04-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Lethal Weapon

I don't think a single person thought it was going to be good. This forum especially thought it was going to be terrible. It's actually the surprise hit of the season even though it's for the most part a procedural.

Crawford and Wayans chemistry and humor have really made the show work and different from the movies.
Old 11-04-16, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Pitch

Hadn't planned on watching it, but I'm glad I have been.
Old 11-04-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The OC - was channel surfing and decided to check it out (it was already on it's 5th episode). Got hooked on it.

Grimm - never thought it would survive the Friday night time slot. The final season is coming soon, but I didn't expect it to last more than one season due to the ratings.

Scream Queens - didn't expect much from it, but the first season was quite good.
Old 11-04-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Pitch

Hadn't planned on watching it, but I'm glad I have been.
Another vote for Pitch.

Also, The Exorcist, especially after the humongous reveal 2 weeks ago.

Another one to mention is This is Us. I had no idea what to expect from that, but it's turned into must see TV this Fall. It's almost like the new Parenthood and it's doing really well in the ratings.
Old 11-04-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This Is Us - Only recorded the first episode because it got such a good write up. Figured it would be a one and done for us.

Years ago we gave Mom a shot even thought I usually can't stand Allison Janney. She's still not one of my favorites, but it's one of the only sit-coms we didn't drop over the years.
Old 11-05-16, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

No Tomorrow has come out of nowhere for me. I love the writing and casting on the CW's new rom-com. It's goofy, sexy and charming. I've seen movies pull off that combo but I can't think of a show pulling it off so well since Moonlighting.
Old 11-05-16, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No Tomorrow has come out of nowhere for me. I love the writing and casting on the CW's new rom-com. It's goofy, sexy and charming. I've seen movies pull off that combo but I can't think of a show pulling it off so well since Moonlighting.
Yeah I wasn't planning on watching it since it's so out of the norm for The CW, but I've found it very charming and the 2 leads Sasse and Anderson have really great chemistry. I like that it's a mix of quirky comedy, romance and a little drama. For this forum, I'm guessing the genre just doesn't appeal to most of the men here.

But yes, it's a pleasant surprise. I hope it at least gets to air it's original 13 episode order.
Old 11-05-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Supernatural. My niece got me hooked on it just last year and now I love it. Kind of gay for Sam and Dean. Still too many hours to catch up on. So I watched around Season 1-5 and then the newest (11 or 12).

Dead Set showed up on Netflix and was fun.

Didn't watch Deadwood until last month. Good stuff. Can't say anything that hasn't already been said about how good it is.
Old 11-06-16, 01:44 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Banshee, because of the stupid title, i didn't know about it until this year

Has become one of my fav shows ever, so bummed it's ended, should have another 5 seasons of awesomeness
Old 11-06-16, 03:11 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Atlanta. I try to avoid that city like the plague, I'm not a rap fan at all, and being a middle class white boy in Alabama, I was skeptical that I'd identify much with the characters. But I am a fan of Donald Glover so I gave it a chance and it became one of my favorite new shows of the fall.
Old 11-06-16, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't usually watch new shows right out of the gate but I am enjoying Timeless. Could be better but I love the time travel theme.

I'm going to agree that The Middle is amazingly well done. Always enjoyed that more than Modern Family even when Modern Family was good. It has slipped a bit, but it's several seasons old and the kids are grown up which can kill shows just like it did to MF.

Supergirl. Didn't think I would like a superhero TV show but Benoist is so damn cute I can't help but enjoy watching it.

Life In Pieces. I thought it was going to be a terrible Modern Family rip-off with it's multi-story format but we loved it from the first episode. Hanks is really good at playing a loveable goof. But the banter the couples have is A+. Zoe Lister-Jones is top notch.
Old 11-06-16, 07:07 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Has become one of my fav shows ever, so bummed it's ended, should have another 5 seasons of awesomeness
this, this, this, this, this, this, this!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't think I would like Supergirl, but ended up binge watching it and became my favorite new show.
Old 11-06-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The Good Place, I didn't realize how much I wanted another serialized comedy in my life.
Old 11-07-16, 12:34 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Life In Pieces. I thought it was going to be a terrible Modern Family rip-off with it's multi-story format but we loved it from the first episode. Hanks is really good at playing a loveable goof. But the banter the couples have is A+. Zoe Lister-Jones is top notch.
This was also a big one for me last season. I'm not a huge viewer of the half hour sitcoms, but my wife watched it while I was in the room and I got hooked. Black-ish is enjoyable too, but I only catch the occasional episode.
Old 11-07-16, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Dice. Thought I'd hate it... but I didnt.
Old 11-07-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 906 Likes on 668 Posts

I agree with Pitch. Wife wanted to watch it and now I'm hooked as well.

In the other direction, Walking Dead. Everything about it something I should like but I couldn't get past the first few seasons. Gave it a 2nd and 3rd chance, just couldn't get into it. Quit way back when they were on that farm.
Old 11-07-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Has become one of my fav shows ever,
I don't know how I stumbled on it (I may have been looking for a new show to watch during the summer, but I was expecting to hate it too.) I loved it and felt it was another one of those cable shows that fell under the radar and just had a cult fanbase.

Last edited by mcnabb; 11-07-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-07-16, 08:33 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll say The Exorcist, as well. I thought it was going to be a hokey, toothless show. Instead it has been a very good, creepy and sometimes grotesque. I've been surprised at what they have been able to do on a network show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.