Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX (HD650)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-03-16, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're someone who's into headphones, you should know that November 8th at 6 AM PST, Massdrop is going to be selling the Sennheiser HD6XX, a budget version of the classic HD650 headphone, for $200: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

The only differences between this and a regular 650 is that the paint finish is a matte midnight blue instead of a shiny gray, and the cable is shorter and terminates in a 1/8" plug instead of 1/4" plug. The cable is detachable should you want to use an aftermarket cable and I believe it comes with a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter as well, plus a 2-year Sennheiser warranty.

The HD650 is one of the best headphones ever made, with a warm, rich sound signature and one of the most accurate tonalities you'll ever hear. It scales up incredibly well with better upstream gear, and for many people may be the last headphone they ever need (at least until Sennheiser gets its act together and releases an HD850 with the 650's tonality and the HD800's technicalities).

I'm not affiliated with Massdrop or Sennheiser, and apologies if this looks like an advertisement. I just want to let people know about this opportunity to get a world class headphone for an absurdly low amount of money. With the right setup, these headphones will put to shame headphones costing thousands of dollars.

The 650 also responds very well to a few easy to implement modifications that can be done at home. Some of the modifications will void the warranty, but some can be done without affecting the warranty at all.

Anyway, I hope someone here sees this and decides to give them a try. They really are spectacular headphones, they're the ones I use at home (not the 6XX version, but again, there is no difference in sound). If anyone wants any recommendations on amps to pair with these, I'm happy to discuss further.

Spoiler: