Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Yet another new pay TV streaming service -- Google Unplugged to launch in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Yet another new pay TV streaming service -- Google Unplugged to launch in 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/google-adds...200922167.html

CBS has signed on to Google’s planned internet TV service, Unplugged, according to a Wednesday Wall Street Journal report.

The newspaper, citing sources close to the deal, said that agreements with Disney and 21st Century Fox are likely to follow.

Unplugged is one of the latest offerings in what’s been a proliferation of over-the-top, streaming video services, as bloated and expensive cable packages have led millions of people to cut the cord and seek alternatives.

The Journal reported that Google plans to offer Unplugged, which will be a “skinny” bundle including live TV channels, for a price point between $25 and $40 a month. That would be roughly comparable with other skinny offerings like Sony’s PlayStation Vue and Dish Network’s Sling TV. Hulu, which is owned by Disney, Fox, Comcast and Time Warner, is also launching a live streaming service in 2017.

Google launched YouTube Red last year, a $10-a-month, ad-free subscription service that includes exclusive original content. Many of the shows on YouTube Red feature creators who shot to prominence on the platform’s free version, such as Joey Graceffa, who stars in horror series “Escape the Night.” According to the Journal, a curated selection of YouTube Red channels will be included in Unplugged.

When contacted by TheWrap for comment, a Google spokeswoman said, “We don’t comment on rumor or speculation.”

How many more streaming services can the current market support? I mean people barely have time to watch Hulu and Netflix let alone cable and OTA TV.
Old 10-19-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Yet another new pay TV streaming service -- Google Unplugged to launch in 2017

I wonder how well YouTube Red is doing. I would never pay $10 to watch videos of YouTube "stars".
Old 10-19-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: Yet another new pay TV streaming service -- Google Unplugged to launch in 2017

Originally Posted by hbilly
I wonder how well YouTube Red is doing. I would never pay $10 to watch videos of YouTube "stars".
I assume well. Kids use it for music since you can still play videos when your phone screen turns off. Easy to make playlists and there is basically infinite music.
Old 10-19-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/google-adds...200922167.html

How many more streaming services can the current market support? I mean people barely have time to watch Hulu and Netflix let alone cable and OTA TV.
This is more akin to Sling TV and Playstation Vue than Netflix or Hulu, and isn't much of a surprise since Google already has IPTV. AT&T is doing the same with DirecTV.

Every TV company will likely offer it as a replacement for their Cable Box services.
Old 10-19-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Another name that doesn't make sense. I guess the idea is that you're cutting the cord.
Old 10-19-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
This is more akin to Sling TV and Playstation Vue than Netflix or Hulu, and isn't much of a surprise since Google already has IPTV. AT&T is doing the same with DirecTV.

Every TV company will likely offer it as a replacement for their Cable Box services.
Hulu is going to launch a similar service as well next year. My comment still applies. How many of these services can the current market realistically support? Plus with all the different add-ons and extra channels, the costs of these alternative services are creeping pretty damn close to cable/satellite.

One thing is for certain IMO broadband/high speed internet costs will sky rocket to compensate for this. Wouldn't surprise me if we're forced to cough up a minimum of $100/month for internet in the not too distant future.
Old 10-19-16, 08:38 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if we're forced to cough up a minimum of $100/month for internet in the not too distant future.
In the future? That's how much my cable company charges for 50 Mbps internet.

I pay less because I have a Cable/Internet/Phone bundle. But if I cut the cord and just got high speed internet, I'd be paying $99.95/month (+ taxes and all those other small fees).
Old 10-19-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, eventually this whole "cut the cord" thing will end up costing just as much or more than cable tv service. Everyone wants their share of the pie.

I'm still bundled through Verizon and pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime but I mainly use that just for shipping stuff to the house. At some point though you'll end up paying more for these streaming services than regular cable if you're not careful.

My cable bill in college (in 1996) including HBO was 32 dollars a month.
Old 10-19-16, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't trust Google to maintain any service or product that doesn't quickly become a household name.
Old 10-28-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

To be fair, as a cable TV replacement, with access to existing cable channels, this one is more sustainable than others. I mean, you're either going to have cable TV, Sling TV, PS Vue, or Google Unplugged, not more than one of them. In that sense, they act as competitors to each other, and I don't think any of them have service-exclusive content.
Old 10-28-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I love PSVue. The only thing its missing is local broadcast ABC and CBS. If Google has everything Vue does plus those, I will consider it.