Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Character Redesigns You Like More Than The Original

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Character Redesigns You Like More Than The Original

So I was sort of thinking about this. It's pretty rare for me to like an updated design better than the original but one that's always been a favorite of mine is Spidey's black suit. Something about the simplicity of it has just always looked cool to me. The classic red and blue is great too but I've always really liked the black suit more. So what are some redesigns you like as much or more than the original?
Old 10-09-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: Character Redesigns You Like More Than The Original

Barring the hideous New 52 redesign, I've generally felt recent incarnations of Supergirl's outfit look better than her traditional Silver Age costume. I like the white variation the animated series introduced back in the 1990s. It feels closer to what an actual female teenager would wear if she happened to be Kryptonian. Probably Timm's best design that wasn't based on a prior costume.
Old 10-09-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I like Daredevil's red costume more than that yellow and black one. I also like the more modern Thor chainmail design rather than the old sleeveless look. I love George Perez and his New Titans run, but I'm glad Cyborg is no longer in that underwear look he first had.

I always thought as a kid that the black Spidey costume came about because the artists got tired drawing all those webs. I was a terrible artist as a kid but I hated drawing Spidey because of that.
Old 10-09-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Galactus' original look with shorts was not great.
Old 10-09-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I like Daredevil's red costume more than that yellow and black one. I also like the more modern Thor chainmail design rather than the old sleeveless look. I love George Perez and his New Titans run, but I'm glad Cyborg is no longer in that underwear look he first had.

I always thought as a kid that the black Spidey costume came about because the artists got tired drawing all those webs. I was a terrible artist as a kid but I hated drawing Spidey because of that.
Daredevil is a good one. The red outfit is far superior to the original. It just feels way more fitting to the character than the yellow version. I've always had a tough time trying to draw Spidey to make him look good.

I'd also throw out the Adams redesign for Robin. The original version is just an oddity sort of even though it is classic and I always associate it with the 66 series but the redesign just is a lot better since he's wearing pants rather than just short tights. I like the black on the outside of the cape with the inner yellow lining too.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-09-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Old 10-09-16, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 10-09-16, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember when X-Men #1 came out. I was JUST getting into comics as a hobby. I was like 5. That issue just literally set the standard for me in comic art for so long. It's just a damn good looking issue. Just the way they're posed, the looks, the colors, the art, the style of the world in there. Man, it's probably been the most popular look for those characters for longest time.
Old 10-09-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ That pic of Wolverine's costume is actually John Byrne's design. Lee made designed a lame yellow and blue costume that was used in a story arc in Uncanny X-Men. Lee went back to Byrne's design in X-Men #1.
Old 10-09-16, 09:44 PM
Banned

I'm just hyping Lee. I know the costume is from the 1980s. 1980, I think.
Old 10-09-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
^ That pic of Wolverine's costume is actually John Byrne's design. Lee made designed a lame yellow and blue costume that was used in a story arc in Uncanny X-Men. Lee went back to Byrne's design in X-Men #1.
What costume is that? I don't recall anything between his original look and the brown suit.

EDIT: Oh, I assume this one that all the X-Men were wearing - http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2013/07...y-costume.html

I liked those too, as far as using them for all the X-Men collectively

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm just hyping Lee. I know the costume is from the 1980s. 1980, I think.
Yeah, I searched for Jim Lee and Wolverine for that image because I like Jim Lee's Wolverine in that costume, especially from X-Men #1 like you.
Old 10-10-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I remember when X-Men #1 came out. I was JUST getting into comics as a hobby. I was like 5. That issue just literally set the standard for me in comic art for so long. It's just a damn good looking issue. Just the way they're posed, the looks, the colors, the art, the style of the world in there. Man, it's probably been the most popular look for those characters for longest time.
Not a huge fan of pouches Cyclops or whatever that headgear Jean was wearing, but I'll agree the look was iconic, especially since they used it for the cartoon.

I did like Cassiday's Wolverine costume in Astonishing.

I'm sure most people prefer Psylocke's Post Acts of Vengeance look, at the very least she's far more recognized as an Asian ninja than the sister of Captain Britain.

And for Captain Britain I like his Second costume compared to the red one with the lion on the front and the magic mace or whatever.

I'm surprised nobody's brought up Iron Man. To me the red and yellow will always be his iconic look, though he's changed so many times, but I doubt many think of the chunky grey initial design. Or even the green hulk because of coloring issues. Or lumpy Thing.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-10-16 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My favorite Wolverine costume was the 80s one with the brown and ochre color scheme. I think the earth tones fit the character better than bright yellow and blue.
Old 10-10-16, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm partial to the 2004 Wolverine re-design.

My favorite though might be going from this:

to this:

Old 10-10-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

John Byrne tells a funny story about Jim Lee and the Wolverine costume. Lee apparently went to Byrne (who was working with Lee on X-Men) all excited around the time of X-Men #4 and told him that he had finally got Wolverine out of the brown costume and back into the yellow and blue tiger stripe costume. Byrne's reaction was of course to remind Lee that he (Byrne) was the one who designed the brown costume in the first place.

Here's some more examples of superior redesigns. I know some have been mentioned, but I figured people like pictures.:

Ms. Marvel
Spoiler:

Iron Man
Spoiler:

Cyclops
Spoiler:

Jean Grey (I like each iteration, but it peaks with the Phoenix outfit)
Spoiler:

Captain Britain
Spoiler:

Psylocke (the Jim Lee redesign is about as pandering as it gets, but it's still awesome)
Spoiler:

Nightwing
Spoiler:

These two are kind of cheating, but I think they still count:

Flash
Spoiler:

Green Lantern
Spoiler:
Old 10-10-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like both versions of Wolverine's outfit. The yellow and blue is the one I grew up with because of the animated series but the yellow and brown is cool too.
Old 10-10-16, 01:23 PM
Banned

1980s and early to mid 1990s had a very very VERY huge ass kicking era for Logan. A lot of violence fell on him too.

Sure some of the 1990s stuff was crap but seeing him kick ass never aged.
Old 10-10-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wolverine is one of the first superheroes that started going around without a costume a lot of the time. By the 1990s he'd appear in his rugged man clothing more than either costume. He rarely used a costume in his own solo book.

The Phoenix redesign for Jean Grey was classic.

Then there are the timeless characters like myself.

Old 10-10-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Psylocke (the Jim Lee redesign is about as pandering as it gets, but it's still awesome)
Spoiler:
I liked Psylocke's armored outfit from the. late 80s.

I also liked her ninja-babe makeover, too. It made her into a more physical fighter and gave her something to do other than hang around in the background making pink butterflies.
Old 10-10-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Wolverine is one of the first superheroes that started going around without a costume a lot of the time. By the 1990s he'd appear in his rugged man clothing more than either costume. He rarely used a costume in his own solo book.
That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. He doesn't wear his traditional costume during the initial Claremont run of his solo series (first dozen or so issues), but otherwise, he was in his costume all the time in both X-Men and his solo series.
Old 10-10-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was Logan's whole Patch identity in Madripoor. Most of his solo adventures seemed to stay far away from his superhero outfits unless another superhero/supervillain showed up.
Old 10-10-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was Logan's whole Patch identity in Madripoor. Most of his solo adventures seemed to stay far away from his superhero outfits unless another superhero/supervillain showed up.
Right, which is the first dozen issues of his solo series I was referring to. After that, it's all brown and orange until the yellow and blue come back in #50.
Old 10-11-16, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my favorite Wolverine redesign.....

Old 10-11-16, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That seems like a bit of an exaggeration. He doesn't wear his traditional costume during the initial Claremont run of his solo series (first dozen or so issues), but otherwise, he was in his costume all the time in both X-Men and his solo series.
Right, which is the first dozen issues of his solo series I was referring to. After that, it's all brown and orange until the yellow and blue come back in #50.
There was a reason Wolverine didn't wear his X-Men costume in the early issues of his solo book. The X-Men were playing dead after "The Fall of the Mutants" and Logan used the Patch identity because Logan/Wolverine was supposed to have died with the other X-Men on live television.

I don't remember how long that lasted; Inferno or X-Tinction Agenda?
Old 10-11-16, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Here is my favorite Wolverine redesign.....

Finally, a Wolverine we can jack off to!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.