DVD Talk
Name 1 punk band and 1 metal band that are glaring omissions from the Rock n Roll HOF [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Name 1 punk band and 1 metal band that are glaring omissions from the Rock n Roll HOF

Hazel Motes
09-27-16, 06:18 AM
Go.

Talkin2Phil
09-27-16, 09:56 AM
Husker Du / Ronnie James Dio

dom56
09-27-16, 09:58 AM
Punk: Siouxsie and the Banshees

Metal: Judas Priest (Motorhead would be my second choice)

inri222
09-27-16, 10:52 AM
The Damned / Iron Maiden

As a bonus I'll throw in Joy Division

Josh-da-man
09-27-16, 12:32 PM
The Cure/Judas Priest

Phodg
09-27-16, 02:42 PM
The Damned/Iron Maiden.

Maiden have sold over 90 million albums and I doubt they'll ever be in there. And the Damned are - well, the Damned. Magnificent.

cultshock
09-27-16, 02:51 PM
The Damned / Iron Maiden

As a bonus I'll throw in Joy Division

The Damned/Iron Maiden.

Maiden have sold over 90 million albums and I doubt they'll ever be in there. And the Damned are - well, the Damned. Magnificent.

This!

Trout
09-27-16, 05:15 PM
The Misfits/Slayer

Traxan
09-27-16, 06:03 PM
The Dead Kennedys / Motorhead

banthafett
09-27-16, 06:10 PM
The Damned

and

Glenn Danzig as a whole (Misfits, Samhain,Danzig)

EddieMoney
09-28-16, 01:08 PM
How the fuck is Iron Maiden not in?

Chrisedge
09-28-16, 06:44 PM
X (L.A. Punk is completely forgotten and ignored)
&
Judas Priest

hdnmickey
09-28-16, 07:06 PM
The Cure and the Banshees are punk?

Along the lines of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest (which I agree with) I would add Scorpions and UFO. All of those could be labeled as Hard Rock, but I too tend to classify them as early Metal.

For me, as much as I loved every he did, Dio is a tough call unless he is going to be put in alone as pseudo solo artist. Stints were too short in actual bands he sang for over the years (Elf, Sabbath, Rainbow). And the albums that carried his name were never really long term bands.

Jason
09-28-16, 07:39 PM
Maiden, while never really being radio friendly, have been consistently popular worldwide for decades. I'd say Scorpions would fit too. They were huge here in the early 80's/90's. Priest in the metal world is toe to toe with Maiden, but I think recognition drops off even quicker once yo get to the "mainstream". UFO in the hall simply won't happen, no matter how much Eddie Trunk wishes it to be so.

Can't speak for punk, as except for my old Dead Kennedys albums, I've pretty much given up on low-fi music.

hdnmickey
09-28-16, 07:47 PM
What do most people know of the Judas Priest and Scorpions catalog that isn't the mainstream? Of the songs from the early years to survive beyond those early years, two were remakes. And the RCA era of the Scorpions was barely as known as those first few Priest albums.

Josh-da-man
09-28-16, 11:30 PM
The Cure and the Banshees are punk?

Depends how loosely you want to define "punk."

The Cure, Banshees, Joy Division, Bauhaus, New Order, Echo & The Bunnymen, Damned, and other new wave/post-punk bands of the 80s would all fall under the same movement as late 70s punk.

Most of the groups that could be structly defined as punk didn't last long enough or make enough of a commercial impact to rate much more than a footnote in history.

The big ones ... Sex Pistols, Ramones, and Clash... are already in. After that, maybe the Dead Kennedys?

hdnmickey
09-29-16, 09:48 AM
Depends how loosely you want to define "punk."

If were going that loose, I would vote for The Cars before any of the other "loose punk"bands listed. I would rate the Talking Heads higher, but they are already in.

Chrisedge
09-29-16, 10:15 PM
new wave =/= punk

astrochimp
09-29-16, 10:30 PM
Sonic Youth and Sonic Youth.

cdollaz
09-29-16, 10:35 PM
Yes and Yes to Sonic Youth. It will never happen.

hdnmickey
09-29-16, 10:54 PM
new wave =/= punk

I actually agree. Just going along with the others.

beavis69
09-30-16, 03:43 AM
The Misfits/Slayer

This

Hazel Motes
09-30-16, 04:15 AM
The Misfits/Slayer

I didn't post mine when I started the thread. But this for me as well.

inri222
09-30-16, 10:27 AM
The Misfits will be a tough one because they were more of a cult/underground band in late 70's to early 80'. They were lucky if 100 people showed up to one of their gigs, now everyone loves them.

EddieMoney
09-30-16, 01:50 PM
I'm also partial to X as well as The Dead Boys

Hiro11
10-01-16, 10:21 AM
This will never happen but:

Minor Threat / Slayer

majorjoe23
10-01-16, 12:15 PM
This thread needs a whole lot more mentions of Black Flag.

statcat
10-01-16, 12:30 PM
I tried to think of something but the idea of a "punk" act being put into a pretentious museum seems like the antithesis of punk. At least Johnny Rotten had the right idea when the Sex Pistols were inducted.

TerryW
10-01-16, 01:00 PM
New Model Army/Queensr˙che

Paff
10-01-16, 09:26 PM
Yes and Yes to Sonic Youth. It will never happen.

I wouldn't call Yes heavy metal

cultshock
10-01-16, 11:29 PM
The Misfits will be a tough one because they were more of a cult/underground band in late 70's to early 80'. They were lucky if 100 people showed up to one of their gigs, now everyone loves them.

Yeah, they were a band that got bigger after they broke up. Not sure if that would disqualify them though.

The Dead Boys

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of their songs, but my god, "Sonic Reducer" is a monster, that song alone should get them in.

In the "Never gonna happen" category for metal bands, I've recently been on a Diamond Head kick, holy crap, they were so ahead of their time. Far from a "glaring omission" but I'd certainly vote them in.

inri222
10-02-16, 10:19 AM
This thread needs a whole lot more mentions of Black Flag.

After The Damned my next choices would be the godfathers of hardcore punk : Black Flag and Bad Brains.

Nick Danger
10-02-16, 10:32 AM
I tried to think of something but the idea of a "punk" act being put into a pretentious museum seems like the antithesis of punk. At least Johnny Rotten had the right idea when the Sex Pistols were inducted.

I'd like to hear what Jello Biafra would have to say while standing on their stage. I doubt that the museum would risk it.

I don't pay any attention to the RnR HOF except for the annual mockery of their selections. But I am surprised that Maiden and Priest aren't already in there.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0