Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

She's Gotta Have It (Netflix) -- based on Spike Lee's film

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
She's Gotta Have It (Netflix) -- based on Spike Lee's film

Netflix Orders Spike Lee's She's Gotta Have It (The 1st Spike Lee Joint Feature Film) To Series

The 10-episode series is a contemporary update of Spike Lee's revolutionary debut independent film. She's Gotta Have It centers on Nola Darling, a Brooklyn-based artist in her late twenties struggling to define herself and divide her time amongst her Friends, her Job and her Three Lovers: The Cultured Model, Greer Childs, The Protective Investment Banker, Jamie Overstreet and Da Original B-Boy Sneakerhead, Mars Blackmon.

Lee is directing the entire series and serves as creator and executive producer along with his producer wife Tonya Lewis Lee, who will also executive produce. She's Gotta Have It is produced by Netflix.

Spike Lee commented: “SHE’S GOTTA HAVE IT Has A Very Special Place In My Heart. We Shot This Film In 12 Days (2 Six Day Weeks) Way Back In The Back Back Of The Hot Summer Of 1985 For A Mere Total of $175,000. Funds That We Begged, Borrowed and Whatnot To Get That Money. This Is The 1st Official Spike Lee Feature Film Joint And Everything That We Have Been Blessed With In This Tough Business Of Film All Have Been Due To SGHI. Now With The Passing (August 8th) Of The 30th Anniversary, It’s A Gift That Keeps On Giving. We Are Getting An Opportunity To Revisit These Memorable Characters Who Will Still Be Relevant And Avant Garde 3 Decades Later. With All That Said It Was My Wife, Tonya Lewis Lee, Producer In Her Own Right,Who Had The Vision To Take My Film From The Big Screen And Turn It Into An Episodic Series. It Had Not Occurred To Me At All. Tonya Saw It Plain As Day. I Didn’t. We Are Hyped That NETFLIX Is Onboard With This Vision As Nola Darling, Mars Blackmon, Jamie Overstreet And Greer Childs DO DA DAMN THANG Now, Today In Da Republic Of Brooklyn, New York.”
Old 09-15-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: She's Gotta Have It (Netflix) -- based on Spike Lee's film

Is anyone really clamoring for this? I applaud Netflix's commitment to diversity, but their excellent track record gets diluted when they put out mediocre product. The Get Down was an expensive disappointment (according to my subjective quality analysis, as I have no empirical data).

Spike Lee is a notable and known filmmaker, but I'm not sure about the breadth of his appeal. With all the hype Chi-Raq received, it was a letdown of a movie that despite having stars like Angela Bassett, John Cusack, Nennifer Hudson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Wesley Snipe managed to only make $2.6MM Lifetime grosses according to Box Office Mojo. The reason behind Chicago being referred to as Chi-Raq is an important one, but Spike's movie ultimately had little to say on the subject. I think sometimes Spike Lee is applauded more for what he represents (diversity in filmmaking) than in the quality of the product he puts out, though he does have some enjoyable movies in his catalog.

Oh, And If The Press Release Was Actually Distributed That Way, It's Annoying Having Every Word Capitalized. Which I Guess Is Just Another Annoying Thing Associated With Spike Lee.

Here's hoping they can actually come up with a season of enjoyable content.
Old 09-15-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk God

I respect Lee's work as a director, but I don't think a She's Gotta Have It TV series really interests me.

Not everything that Netflix greenlights as a TV series is going to draw the masses like the Marvel shows or House of Cards. A show like this is going to have a very small audience.
Old 06-26-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Old 11-23-17, 06:39 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: She's Gotta Have It (Netflix) -- based on Spike Lee's film

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/whvPjWm7ZE0" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thirty years ago, Spike Lee burst onto the independent filmmaking scene with his groundbreaking look at one free-spirited artist making it happen for herself in Brooklyn, New York. Now, Miss Nola Darling returns in Spike Lee's first series, an update of the visionary Oscar(R) -nominated writer-director's She's Gotta Have It. She's Gotta Have It will debut globally on Netflix on Thanksgiving Day, November 23, 2017. The seriously sexy comedy stars breakout actress DeWanda Wise as Nola Darling, an uncompromising woman in her late twenties struggling to define herself and divide her time among her Friends, her Job and her Three Lovers: The Cultured Model, Greer Childs, The Protective Investment Banker, Jamie Overstreet and Da Original B-Boy Sneakerhead, Mars Blackmon. Nola is not who you want her to be. Nola is now - she is outspoken, complicated, progressive, unapologetic, passionate, sexual.. Spike Lee directs all 10 episodes of the series, he created and produced the show. Tonya Lewis Lee is Executive Producer. Barry Michael Cooper and Lynn Nottage are also Producers. She's Gotta Have It was SPIKE's landmark film which he shot in 12 days during the long hot summer of 1986. The film signaled a change of how African Americans are portrayed in movies. The new She's Gotta Have It is his first TV series.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Anthony Ramos as Mars Blackmon
· Chyna Layne
· Cleo Anthony as Greer Childs
· DeWanda Wise as Nola Darling
· Ilfenesh Hadera
· Kim Director as Bianca
· Lyriq Bent as Jamie Overstreet
· Margot Bingham as Clorinda Bradford
· Sydney Morton as Sheryl Overstreet

CREW INFORMATION:
· Barry Michael Cooper as EP
· Lynn Nottage as EP
· Spike Lee as CRTR/EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Tonya Lewis Lee as EP
Up on Netflix today.
Old 11-23-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

I've always enjoyed his work, and the original film is what introduced me to it.

I'll check this out.
Old 11-23-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Timing might be right this. What with all the stuff with women empowering themselves and all these days.
Old 11-23-17, 10:20 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Timing might be right this. What with all the stuff with women empowering themselves and all these days.
LOL. You mean all the sexual harassment they allowed to help advance their careers? Pass.
Old 11-23-17, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I have not seen the movie but am interested. Shit, didn't know Spike was directing the entire season.
Old 11-23-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
LOL. You mean all the sexual harassment they allowed to help advance their careers? Pass.
You're gross.
Old 11-23-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gizmo
OINK OINK DUDE. No really. I wouldn't allow women around you.
Old 11-23-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Questyen
You're gross.
Old 11-23-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I’m so behind on Netflix shows.

I like Spike Lee’s work for the most part, but I doubt I’ll be watching this anytime soon.
Old 11-30-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just started this and think it's great. Shit, I'm about to start episode two.
Old 12-01-17, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I respect Lee's work as a director, but I don't think a She's Gotta Have It TV series really interests me.

Not everything that Netflix greenlights as a TV series is going to draw the masses like the Marvel shows or House of Cards. A show like this is going to have a very small audience.
The entire budget of the season probably wouldn't even be enough to cover the cost of 10 minutes of a Marvel show,if they get 1/20th of the viewership of a Marvel show it would be considered a success.
Old 05-09-19, 01:09 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7kOTDDxRZ48" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Summer in Brooklyn just got a whole lot hotter. Nola Darling, our favorite Fort Greene artist is back and coming for it all in season two of Academy Award Winner Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It, streaming May 24, only on Netflix.
Old 05-09-19, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero