DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Trek: The Original Series: 50th Anniversary Editions question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 05:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts
Star Trek: The Original Series: 50th Anniversary Editions question

Star Trek: The Original Series: 50th Anniversary Editions (S1, 2, & 3, individual seasons), purchased from Walmart for $14.96 ea.

Started watching this a few days ago, something I noticed and wanted to ask about...

These episodes are definitely out of order, are they arranged by air dates? They are defintely not in order of how they should appear (star dates). Each episode has a number attached to it, I'm guessing that's the order of their respective appearance as far as star dates are concerned. The first 2 episodes show the crew in their updated uniforms while the 3rd episode shows them in their older uniforms...

If this is the way they were first aired, I could see why they created this episode listing like they did. I would hate to try watching these by star date, I'd be jumping all over the place on these discs...

Last edited by kd5; 09-10-16 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-10-16, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Star Trek: The Original Series: 50th Anniversary Editions question

The episodes in the season sets are arranged by their original air date, not production order. Don't pay too much attention to star dates. I think they end up being pretty random.
Old 09-10-16, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, star dates are pretty meaningless. Just some futuristic technobabble they came up with so they didn't have to mess with dating the series.

I'm not really a fan of the way the episodes were arranged on the season sets.

They're presented by when they aired, and not production order, which presents some continuity gaffes.

I much prefer the production order for the first season. Otherwise, you end up with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" as the third episode, where the uniforms don't match and there are a handful of different crew members.

The second and third season don't really matter much since there was little in the way of story arcs or continuity between episodes.
Old 09-10-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

^Actually, there are a couple of problematic episodes in both production order and broadcast order.

In production order, "Court Martial" is kind of an unusual lead-in to "The Menagerie." Both take place on the same Starbase and feature similar plot devices, so it seems kind of awkward for both of these events to take place back-to-back.
Spoiler:
Are two different officers being put on trial during the same trip to a Starbase?

Also, with broadcast order, "Shore Leave" presents a sort of strange follow-up to "Balance of Terror" with regard to a recurring actor/character.

Spoiler:
At the start of "Balance of Terror," Angela is set to marry another member of the crew who is killed during the episode. In "Shore Leave" this character returns, and seems to have completely gotten over the death of her fiance in the previous episode. Granted, when "Shore Leave" was written they weren't supposed to be the same character, but it was changed at the last minute when the same actress was hired for both episodes.
Old 09-10-16, 08:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Based on what you've said, I guess it really doesn't matter in what order we watch these. As I remember it, each episode was pretty much a story unto itself, no long story arcs to worry about. If the star dates are meaningless, then we'll just watch and enjoy. Thanks for your help!