Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone thought about boycotting Scamazon???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyone thought about boycotting Scamazon???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-00, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was looking into the supposed "price testing" used by Amazon.com and I was shocked that an online retailer would do this. I am really surprised that nobody (as far as I know) has posted a forum asking members to boycot Amazon. I think it would be pretty cool to show e-tailers that as consumers we will not tolerate these kind of actions. I just wanted some feedback to see what everyone thinks.
Power to the people!
Old 10-02-00, 09:24 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what boycott the company where i get most of my FREE DVD's and music. I dont think so

------------------
The World is Yours.
Old 10-02-00, 09:35 PM
Banned

speak for YOURSELF cruzness!
Old 10-02-00, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a.) Amazon has been good to me.

b.) The "I hate Scamazon," "I hate Buy," "I hate whatever" threads are harmless but goofy. I seem to remember a lot of people here boycotting Buy and praising Amazon ("Amazon honors all mistakes" they shouted) after the $50 off fiasco this summer. I bet most of those people went right back to Buy when coupons came back and many are now trashing Amazon. Boycotts don't work in this new economy. If Amazon came out with another good coupon tomorrow (like Harry Potter) every outraged protestor and their grandma would jump on it.

c.) I'm a DVD whore. I go where the money is (money saved in this case) and don't discriminate. If Timothy McVeigh starts selling DVDs from the slammer and he beats every other online seller by a nickel and has some good coupons and a free shipping week, I'll be buying from www.mcveighcheapdvds.com. DVDs will soothe my pangs of guilt.

[This message has been edited by milkdog (edited October 02, 2000).]
Old 10-02-00, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BillumillAmerika:
speak for YOURSELF cruzness!<HR>

It is just my opinion(and opinions are like a**holes) I'm just curious to see what people think. I've still got a couple of preorders with them and I am not about to cancel them. BUT I doubt that I will be ordering from them in the future.

Old 10-02-00, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by milkdog:
a.) Amazon has been good to me.

b.) The "I hate Scamazon," "I hate Buy," "I hate whatever" threads are harmless but goofy. I seem to remember a lot of people here boycotting Buy and praising Amazon ("Amazon honors all mistakes" they shouted) after the $50 off fiasco this summer. I bet most of those people went right back to Buy when coupons came back and many are now trashing Amazon. Boycotts don't work in this new economy. If Amazon came out with another good coupon tomorrow (like Harry Potter) every outraged protestor and their grandma would jump on it.

c.) I'm a DVD whore. I go where the money is (money saved in this case) and don't discriminate. If Timothy McVeigh starts selling DVDs from the slammer and he beats every other online seller by a nickel and has some good coupons and a free shipping week, I'll be buying from www.mcveighcheapdvds.com. DVDs will soothe my pangs of guilt.

[This message has been edited by milkdog (edited October 02, 2000).]
<HR>

I agree.
Money is always the bottom line and I am as much of a whore as anyone else.

Old 10-02-00, 11:13 PM

thought about it... but in the end my morals sold out to my jaboom gift certificates
Old 10-03-00, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They're (online stores) all as bad as each other. You boycott one and the rest will screw you.

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 10-03-00, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No. I order from who ever has the best deal. That is the bottom line. Besides I don't have the kind of resentment other people here seem to have regarding these various retail fiascos. If I get in on one of these pricing mistakes and they don't honor it, this does not make me the good guy and them the bad guys. Afterall I was the one who tried to take advantage of it in the first place knowing full well it was a mistake. I do however agree that Amazon had no business doing price testing as it basically comes down to discrimination.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 10-03-00, 07:54 PM
Banned

I will never buy from them again. They sent me an e-mail last week and I sent it back telling them to remove me from their mailing list and I told them that I would never buy from a cheapsh*t company that steals money from their loyal customers.

I personally think that anyone who would keep buying from them after what they pulled, should show them that the consumer will not stand for bullsh*t of that nature, and stop buying from them. If people keep on buying from them, amazon will flourish, other companies will take notice and they'll all start their own little "dynamic pricing" scheme. Then where will you all be? You'll all be forced to buy at whatever price they deem necessary. Then everyone will be b*tching about how they can't find a fair price.

------------------
Even my plastic is starting to bounce!
Anamorphic Transfer
Old 10-03-00, 09:10 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The best way to support your morals and scr*w Amazon over is to buy the cheap DVDs from them. They lose money on every DVD they sell. You think they made money selling me Carnival of Souls CC for $4.97? Hawking Set for $6.97? Orphic Trilogy for about $15? I don't think so. Don't boycott them if you hate them. Buy more!
Old 10-03-00, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

unfortunately. as long as there are no alternatives for dvd's from freeride (cdnow doesn't count) most of us will stiff buy from amazon. amazon knows this and they are happy. give me buy.com or 800.com from freeride and the other major reward places and that would change. I bet amazon's cash flow would change too. I haven't "bought" a dvd in 2 years.
Old 10-03-00, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think anyone here bought from amazon on a regular basis anyway. I only buy from them on those rare occasions when they're the cheapest or if I get free GC's.

People use amazon for service and convenience. But since that's gone ... no real reason to shop from there anymore.

------------------
All I want for Christmas ... is a DVD Talk T-Shirt
------------------
Defender of the Other Forum
Old 10-03-00, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I already had them delete my account...
Old 10-04-00, 04:48 AM

If you guys don't like amazon, then don't buy from them! I think all these "Scamazon" threads are getting really boring now. I have had excellent service from them and put them on a par with 'Reel.com'. They have made mistakes, but I suppose you haven't, huh??

...bottom line, go shop elsewhere!!