Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Why the Walking Dead hasn't sold me on the characters' current location in the story

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why the Walking Dead hasn't sold me on the characters' current location in the story

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize the budgets of the two most popular shows on television right now, 'The Walking Dead' and 'Game of Thrones' are not equal, but it bothers me how immersive and detailed the world of 'Game of Thrones' is whereas 'The Walking Dead' tries too hard for some kind of 'timeless' or 'Anywhere, USA' motif. It takes me out of the story, given where they are now, which is in Alexandria, Virginia.

This is the only establishing shot that tells us where we are, geographically in the Walking Dead universe right now. It's seen when Abraham is driving the RV on highways you'd think would have been clogged as they close in on Alexandria.

They did a very good *smaller* version of this in the premiere of Season 2, but as the story has now left the rural backdrop of middle Georgia, they should be coming across more of this:

This is from the comics, and helps show the real remains of the area they've settled into:

Would it kill them to open up their world beyond the whole "Everytown, USA" theme they're aiming for when the story has them moving to an area RIGHT NEAR THE WHITE HOUSE? This is what Alexandria, VA looks like:

Even digitally inserting the skyline in some scenes would enhance the show's production values:

Youtube is chock full of videos showcasing abandoned malls and other locations that would be perfect to film in if they'd get out of Georgia to film a scene or two. Also, is it THAT difficult to show us the seasons of winter and fall on the show? There is so much more they could do with the world they've built and I'm tired of the same empty forested roads and (whole other topic) unrealistic decisions made by the characters. But, I admit, I'll still watch it.

Anyone else hope 'The Walking Dead' will open up its scope?
Old 09-03-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Re: Why the Walking Dead hasn't sold me on the characters' current location in the st

They aren't actually in Alexandria. They're in a real estate development somewhere ambiguously near Alexandria, VA. It's a pre-planned sustainable community with a solar grid and sewage filtration.

It's actually the "Alexandria Safe Zone" but they just call it "Alexandria."
Old 09-03-16, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Re: Why the Walking Dead hasn't sold me on the characters' current location in the st

And I'm pretty sure there's a Walking Dead thread that you could post this stuff in
Old 09-03-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread;
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Tx8jnndMes" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-03-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

That first image with the road overlooking the Washington Monument - no such road/vantage point like that exists. So even though it established they were nearing D.C., it was pretty laughable to a resident - (like seeing Mountains in Rumble in the Bronx)

Having lived one town over from Alexandria most of my life, and being familiar with the surrounding towns/D.C., it's nowhere near as woody/rural the show portrays. But I've long since gotten used to weird depictions of the D.C. area.

Last edited by bluetoast; 09-03-16 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

All the money on Walking Dead goes to the ensemble cast. They barely have anything left for production values.
Old 09-04-16, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I think I need to start a thread asking how Maggie and Negan wound up married and siring Batman.
Old 09-04-16, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That first image with the road overlooking the Washington Monument - no such road/vantage point like that exists. So even though it established they were nearing D.C., it was pretty laughable to a resident - (like seeing Mountains in Rumble in the Bronx)

Having lived one town over from Alexandria most of my life, and being familiar with the surrounding towns/D.C., it's nowhere near as woody/rural the show portrays. But I've long since gotten used to weird depictions of the D.C. area.
Thank you for letting me know that they composited that establishing shot. Why on earth couldn't they have designed their locale better? From what I understand, myself having last visited Atlanta in 2006, that the quarry they escape to in Season 1 and Grady Memorial hospital in Season 5 are all genuine. Why not do the same for "Alexandria?" I hope they make excursions into the D.C. area at some point, and get a good look at the Sanctuary and the Kingdom.

Regarding the budget that's being pulled away from the production values, I think that's ridiculous. I don't need to see more empty roads flanked by forest every episode. It's a cheat, an attempt to make filming easier for the production at the expense of realism (yes, I know, it's a TV show this zombies...)

Anyway, some poster gave good advice and I'd like the ask if the Mods can either post this in the current Walking Dead thread or eliminate it.