DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 08-25-16, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

30 Days of Criterion - Discussion Thread
August 31st (dusk) - October 1st (dawn)

September is upon us, so it's time to actually watch those Criterion discs we bought in July during the Barnes & Noble sale and get as many viewings out of our Hulu subscriptions as we can before the Criterion Channel launches on Filmstruck later this year! CardiffGiant has done a fantastic job hosting this challenge the last several years, and here's the overview of this challenge that he's crafted:

The goal of the Criterion Challenge is to watch Criterion content and share your experience with the rest of us. There is no specific number goal, no winners, no losers, no prizes.

Rather than compile long lists, watch what you would normally watch in a month, but concentrate it on Criterion content as much as you can/want. In fact, bulk watching is discouraged, as that will limit your time for discussion and for immersing yourself in a film. Participants are encouraged to explore fully a film and its supplemental material.

There will be a separate thread to include your lists as linked above. A daily journal sort of entry is recommended for your list. Since counting is not required or "scored" in any way, you are free to be as creative as you wish in how you list items. Bolding of your item titles is encouraged, if only to make them stand out to allow others to quickly see if they have seen the same items and wish to comment. Give reviews. Even if it's just a mini-review, a simple /, or a one word description. Be creative and personalize it however you wish - use one post for the whole month, daily posts, weekly posts, give reviews, provide IMDB links, add YouTube videos, add images, etc. It's recommended that you provide a link to your list(s) in your signature for easy access. Last year's List Thread should give you a good idea how participants format their lists.

What qualifies? Any film, short, video or supplemental feature that is planned for release or has been released by Criterion/Eclipse qualifies. The film does not have to be watched on an actual Criterion disc. You may watch the film on any format, provided that it is the same film that Criterion has released. For example, the film On the Waterfront was released by Criterion on DVD/BD. But you don't have to watch the movie on that particular DVD/BD. You can watch it on VHS, on broadcast TV, on the Internet, Netflix, HuluPlus, iTunes, or any of the other DVD/BD releases On the Waterfront has had. Additionally, any title released by Criterion exclusively on streaming (See: HuluPlus) is eligible for this challenge.

Check out the full list of Criterion and Eclipse DVD and BD releases here. Criterion's website allows for sorting by Brand, Format, Director, Country, Decade, and Features. This will allow easy searching for working through needed checklist items.

There are some titles currently streaming on Netflix, including a number of OOP titles. On rare occasions, you can find an Eclipse title there as well.

There are many Criterion titles available on Hulu Plus. Any title available on Criterion's Hulu Plus site counts. These include titles that Criterion has the rights to, but has yet to release on DVD/BD. Hulu Plus offers a standard 1-week free trial. Additionally, Criterion regularly rotates new titles for "free" viewing on Hulu.

Criterion titles occasionally appear on broadcast television. Keep an eye on this discussion thread for upcoming broadcasts.

Titles originally released on Criterion Laserdisc are also eligible for the challenge.

Optional Checklist

The checklist is completely optional. It is just a "fun" inclusion to give one a sense of accomplishment, to help one diversify viewing, or to use as a guide on what to watch next.

Each film can count for multiple sections, but only one check mark per section. Example: Pierrot le fou could count for the 1960's in Decades and Jean-Luc Godard in People, but it could not count for Godard and Anna Karina in People. You would need a separate film for Karina.
Spoiler:
Feature Presentation
Watch one film from every decade covered by Criterion.
--- 1920 - (insert film title here)
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch something from each of the following spine number ranges.
--- 001-100 -
--- 101-200 -
--- 201-300 -
--- 301-400 -
--- 401-500 -
--- 501-600 -
--- 601-700 -
--- 701-800 -
--- 801-900 -
--- an Eclipse title -
--- Watch a title not released on DVD by Criterion (a title released on Laserdisc or a streaming exclusive) -

Who, What, and How
Watch 5 films from different people in Criterion's Explore People section.
--- First Person, (insert title)
--- Second Person, (insert title)
--- Third Person, (insert title)
--- Fourth Person, (insert title)
--- Fifth Person, (insert title)

Watch a film from 5 different "themes" on Criterion's website.
Note: To earn a check for Compare and Contrast, you must watch both versions of the feature.

--- First Theme name, (insert title)
--- Second Theme name, (insert title)
--- Third Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fourth Theme name, (insert title)
--- Fifth Theme name, (insert title)

Watch films in at least 5 languages.
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fourth language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Fifth language, (insert language), (insert title).

Special Edition Features
Read 5 essays from the Criterion booklets and/or listed here.
--- First Essay title, (title of film)
--- Second Essay title, (title of film)
--- Third Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fourth Essay title, (title of film)
--- Fifth Essay title, (title of film)

Watch 5 Criterion supplemental interviews. Many of these can be found on Criterion.com and on Hulu (see Clips for the related film).
--- First Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Second Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Third Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fourth Interview Name, (insert film title)
--- Fifth Interview Name, (insert film title)

Watch 5 Criterion Theatrical Trailers.
--- First Trailer Title
--- Second Trailer Title
--- Third Trailer Title
--- Fourth Trailer Title
--- Fifth Trailer Title

Above and Beyond (Not Required to Complete Checklist)
--- Watch a film with commentary –
--- Watch a supplemental short film –
--- Watch a Criterion disc completely. Every part of it. -
--- Watch an entire Criterion Collector's Set/Eclipse Box Set or Top Ten List -
--- Listen to the soundtrack album for a Criterion/Eclipse film (a great place to get an idea for this is the Great Soundtracks Theme!) -

(Change "---" to "-X-" or some similar mark when you have completed that line item.)

The challenge officially begins August 31 at dusk in whatever location you are in at the time, and ends on October 1st at dawn in whatever location you are in at that time. Also, feel free to time your final Criterion film(s) to coincide with the start of the Horror Challenge.

Online Resources

The Criterion Collection Official Pages and Online Stores
Criterion.com | Barnes & Noble | Facebook | Google Play | Hulu | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube

List of Criterion Collection Laserdisc releases on Wikipedia

Every box set and Top 10 list presently on Criterion.com, formatted to be copied and pasted in DVD Talk.

CriterionCast
iCheckMovies.com The Criterion Collection | The Criterion Collection Signatures | Criterion's Eclipse Collection | Criterion's Eclipse Collection Signatures
Flickchart The Criterion Collection | The Criterion Collection on Hulu | The Criterion Eclipse Titles | Flickchart: The Blog - Criterion Commentaries
Travis McClain's Criterion for Noobs

Previous DVD Talk Criterion Challenges
2009 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2010 Discussion Thread | List Thread
2011 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2012 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2013 Discussion Thread | List Thread
2014 Discussion Thread | List Thread | 2015 Discussion Thread | List Thread

2016 List Thread

Last edited by Travis McClain; 08-27-16 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-25-16, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Looking forward to this. Been watching horror movies lately, and now I can watch ones that actually count for a challenge.
Old 08-25-16, 06:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

So I finally had a new Challenge starter ready to start the thread, after having no luck contacting CardiffGiant, and here you go and steal their thunder.
Old 08-25-16, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did go ahead and make one tweak to the checklist; I increased the increments in the spine section to 100 instead of 50. That reduces that section to 10 checks instead of 18.

Additionally, I've reorganized and expanded the section of links. New additions include links to previous years' discussion and list threads, Criterion's official pages on Facebook and YouTube, Barnes & Noble's Criterion online storefront, the Criterion store in Google Play, the Criterion section on Hulu, and the pages where you can find the signatures from iCheckMovies.com for Criterion and Eclipse.

If there are any other suggestions or requests, now's the time!
Old 08-25-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
So I finally had a new Challenge starter ready to start the thread, after having no luck contacting CardiffGiant, and here you go and steal their thunder.
Ask him or her if he or she would like to host the November Comedy Challenge. I may not have the time to do it this year.
Old 08-25-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I did go ahead and make one tweak to the checklist; I increased the increments in the spine section to 100 instead of 50. That reduces that section to 10 checks instead of 18.

Additionally, I've reorganized and expanded the section of links. New additions include links to previous years' discussion and list threads, Criterion's official pages on Facebook and YouTube, Barnes & Noble's Criterion online storefront, the Criterion store in Google Play, the Criterion section on Hulu, and the pages where you can find the signatures from iCheckMovies.com for Criterion and Eclipse.

Thanks for pointing out that Google Play has Criterion movies. I just bought Videodrome, and when I get paid, plan to buy Jellyfish Eyes.
Old 08-25-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Thanks for pointing out that Google Play has Criterion movies. I just bought Videodrome, and when I get paid, plan to buy Jellyfish Eyes.
There's also a Criterion storefront in iTunes, but I can't figure out a way to share a link to it. Here's what I get when I click "Copy Link". Whenever I click on it to test it, it opens the Apple.com page to download and install iTunes, rather than going to the Criterion store in the iTunes Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/...fcId=473364283
Old 08-26-16, 02:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

As someone who completes the checklist every year, I like this change a lot. It will give more freedom to watch stuff I'd rather watch than being a slave to the groups of 50 where sometimes I had already watched everything and would prefer to watch something I hadn't seen already.
Old 08-26-16, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nitpicking here but the counts are off. See 101-100 for example.
Old 08-26-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by popcorn
Nitpicking here but the counts are off. See 101-100 for example.
Good catch! Fixed that.
Old 08-26-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Presently, there are 21 films in the disc library from the 1920's, and 26 from the 2010's. I think it's time to spin out the 10's as their own check mark, which will bring that section up to 10. Anyone feel strongly one way or the other about this?
Old 08-26-16, 10:57 PM

That makes sense to me. They seem to add a couple things from the 2010s every year anyways, so it shouldn't really be a problem finding something to watch in both decades.
Old 08-26-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by malazar
That makes sense to me. They seem to add a couple things from the 2010s every year anyways, so it shouldn't really be a problem finding something to watch in both decades.
Done!
Old 08-27-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has anyone worked out what your objectives are for this year? I have three:

1) Complete the checklist, which I've never done.

2) Pursuant to completing the checklist, watch all of Steve Buscemi's Top 10, which I can finally do because most of it is accessible via streaming and I've just placed an inter-library loan request for Short Cuts on DVD.

3) Watch my In a Lonely Place Blu-ray in its entirety. It was a blind buy during last month's B&N sale, for which I used a gift card a friend kindly gave me for Christmas (despite my no-gifts policy). I've been saving it for this occasion. There are two other Criterion titles in my disc library I need to get to (Certified Copy and 12 Angry Men), but I've already seen those films and as this will be the last challenge to use Hulu Plus, I intend to emphasize that over discs.
Old 08-27-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

No real plans. I may not even start until after the first week, to be honest. The last couple years I tried to watch the eligible Hitchcock films, but I'm pretty sure I finished those off. I may have to find another director or actor to do the same with.
Old 08-28-16, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My only goal is to enjoy myself.
Old 08-28-16, 07:36 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I struggle with a goal for this challenge since I try to make it unique from other challenges and therefore watch all of the extras. That means, for me, I can't watch the movies on Hulu or Netflix or even get Netflis discs sometimes, the only option I can figure out is either buying them or getting them from the library. Does anyone know of a streaming sight that includes the extras?
Old 08-28-16, 07:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Plan to dig into some of my unopened Crterion blus, and complete my personal checklist. Set a goal of 7 films for myself. First will be an animation crossover if my work schedule allows.
Old 08-28-16, 08:10 AM

I have a few goals this year.

1) Complete The Checklist - I have been successful with this one the last few years and enjoy using it as a way to give my viewing some different choices than I may otherwise make which has led to some great discoveries in prior years that I may have not otherwise ever watched.

2) Watch at least one of my boxsets and Eclipse sets. I have more of these lying around in my backlog than I would like to admit, so it is time to make some progress there.

3) Watch around 25 films and as many extras as I can. There seem to have been a large number of English language releases in the last year that I have picked up so it will be easier than ever to watch extras on those discs while I work my always insane hours.

That's about it for now, but I may very well choose to focus on a director, actor, or certain theme at some point once the ball gets rolling. I still need to plot out my initial plan of what to watch.
Old 08-28-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here, that's why I'm probably not going to do any blind watches. I've seen way to many that are long and horrible.

I have a few I bought in the last sale but it's all upgrades of things I've already seen. Probably won't do any extras unless they look really good or I'm stuck in my seat and can't change anything.
Old 08-28-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing I do every challenge, knock off as many of the 1001 movies as I can. I'm hoping for a nice round 50.
Old 08-28-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I have an embarrassing backlog of Criterion releases in my unwatched pile. For several years, my birthdays and Christmases would initiate a flood of DVDs and BDs from friends and family. I'm definitely going to watch my new copy of Persona and explore the bounty of extras included. I've planned a way to finish the checklist, but I'm usually pretty mercurial when it comes to these challenges and my goals.
Old 08-28-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orlmac
I struggle with a goal for this challenge since I try to make it unique from other challenges and therefore watch all of the extras. That means, for me, I can't watch the movies on Hulu or Netflix or even get Netflis discs sometimes, the only option I can figure out is either buying them or getting them from the library. Does anyone know of a streaming sight that includes the extras?
Criterion has uploaded some of their disc supplements to Hulu and Criterion.com, though obviously not all. I'm unaware of any streaming version that includes all disc supplements. Perhaps you might feel content focusing on streaming titles that have had bare bones disc releases? For instance, I know that the original DVD release of Summertime only included the original trailer. Similarly, Blue Is the Warmest Color also only includes its original trailer (with a note that a fuller edition will follow later).

There's also the Essential Art House line. Many, if not all, of those titles do have feature-laden counterparts in the Criterion Collection proper, but it could be a convenient little loophole for you to at least satisfy yourself that you're watching the films that were selected for that spotlight series.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Same here, that's why I'm probably not going to do any blind watches. I've seen way to many that are long and horrible.
I've had disappointing experiences with selections I've made in previous years of this challenge, but I've found enough gems that I'm happy to keep rolling the dice.

Looking back over your previous years' lists, I'd be curious to hear what your favorite gem and/or greatest disappointment was each time you've participated in this challenge. Here are mine:

Gem: M
Disappointment: Sans Soleil

Gem: L'heure d'été [Summer Hours]
Disappointment: Dazed and Confused

Gem: The Horse's Mouth
Disappointment: The Circus

Gem: Copie conforme [Certified Copy]
Disappointment: Koyaanisqatsi

Gem: Ugetsu
Disappointment: The River

Gem: Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages
Disappointment: Sweet Movie
Old 08-28-16, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I have an embarrassing backlog of Criterion releases in my unwatched pile. For several years, my birthdays and Christmases would initiate a flood of DVDs and BDs from friends and family. I'm definitely going to watch my new copy of Persona and explore the bounty of extras included. I've planned a way to finish the checklist, but I'm usually pretty mercurial when it comes to these challenges and my goals.
I treated myself to the Persona Blu-ray release and gorged on its supplements during last year's challenge. After you get through your set, I'd love to hear your thoughts on those features. I dashed off a Letterboxd diary entry about them. In case you or anyone else might be inclined to compare notes, here it is. Obviously, there may be some spoilers in comments about bonus features since the presumption is that anyone who's watching the supplements has already seen the film proper.
Old 08-29-16, 06:42 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

[QUOTE=Travis McClain;12884687]Criterion has uploaded some of their disc supplements to Hulu and Criterion.com, though obviously not all. I'm unaware of any streaming version that includes all disc supplements. Perhaps you might feel content focusing on streaming titles that have had bare bones disc releases? For instance, I know that the original DVD release of Summertime only included the original trailer. Similarly, Blue Is the Warmest Color also only includes its original trailer (with a note that a fuller edition will follow later).

There's also the Essential Art House line. Many, if not all, of those titles do have feature-laden counterparts in the Criterion Collection proper, but it could be a convenient little loophole for you to at least satisfy yourself that you're watching the films that were selected for that spotlight series.[QUOTE]

Thanks for those suggestions. Both looking for the bare bones releases and looking for those that have the supplements on Criterion.com sound like good options. I really appreciate those suggestions, they could really open up the challenge for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.