TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Get Shorty: The Series (Epix) -- Starring Ray Romano & Chris O'Dowd

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Get Shorty: The Series (Epix) -- Starring Ray Romano & Chris O'Dowd

http://deadline.com/2016/08/get-shor...es-1201807311/

Chris O’Dowd is finalizing a deal and Ray Romano is in negotiations to topline Get Shorty, Epix’s 10-episode original series from MGM TV. The hourlong dark comedy is a reimagining of Elmore Leonard’s 1990 bestselling thriller comedy novel previously adapted by MGM with Barry Sonnefeld’s 1995 feature starring John Travolta, Danny DeVito, Gene Hackman and Rene Russo.

Written by Davey Holmes, Get Shorty centers on Miles Daly (O’Dowd), who works as muscle for a murderous crime ring in Nevada. For the sake of his daughter, he attempts to change professions and become a movie producer, laundering money through a Hollywood film. But instead of leaving the criminal world behind, he accidentally brings it with him to Los Angeles. Romano would play Rick, a washed up producer of low quality films who becomes Miles’ partner and guide through the maze of Hollywood.

Miles and Rick are versions of the characters played in the 1995 movie by Travolta and Hackman, respectively.

O’Dowd, repped by WME and 3 Arts, previously starred on the HBO comedy series Family Tree and recurred on the network’s Girls. He will next be seen in the feature Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

The Emmy-winning former Everybody Loves Raymond star Romano, repped by ICM Partners and manager Rory Rosegarten, is coming off a starring role in HBO’s drama Vinyl. Before that, he co-starred on NBC’s Parenthood and toplined TNT dramedy Men of a Certain Age, which he also co-created.

The 1995 Get Shorty movie was received well by critics and did well at the box office. Travolta won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor-Motion Picture Musical or Comedy. It spawned a feature sequel, Be Cool, which came out in 2005.

Get Shorty is set to debut in summer 2017, with production slated to begin this fall. It is the third original series for Epix — a joint venture between Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM. Get Shorty joins the upcoming Berlin Station, from Paramount TV, and Graves, from Lionsgate TV. The three series will appear across Epix’s channels, Epix On Demand, Epix.com and TV Everywhere platforms.

With this series airing on Epix, I guess no one in this forum will be watching huh? Directv doesn't have it.
Old 08-23-16, 01:50 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Get Shorty: The Series (Epix) -- Starring Ray Romano & Chris O'Dowd

Sounds dumb.

Let the team behind Justified re-do Karen Sisco with Gugino again if we need more Leonard on TV. She'll probably need a new job soon.
Old 08-23-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like fun, I'll def check it out.
Old 08-23-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Never cared for the movie, but I'll try anything with O'Dowd in it.
Old 08-23-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Liked the movie. Will this pretend the second movie never happened?

If Epix had a standalone subscription like HBO I might check it out.
Old 08-23-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm all for this. Loved the movie in the 90s and even bought the LD. Watched it recently and just didn't feel like it held up well. Hated Be Cool.

After seeing Ray Romano in Vinyl, I'm looking forward to seeing him in this.
Old 08-24-16, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Just remembered that Epix has a deal with Hulu and Amazon, there is probably a good chance this series makes it's way there at some point after it airs on that network.
Old 08-24-16, 10:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Sounds dumb.

Let the team behind Justified re-do Karen Sisco with Gugino again if we need more Leonard on TV. She'll probably need a new job soon.
One thing you can say about Carla Gugino is that she seems to have no problem getting work.

No complaints from me since I seem to be eternally attracted to her.
Old 05-25-17, 09:52 AM

<iframe width="605" height="340" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o8Sa5omrAx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-26-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.epix.com/series/get-shor...y_CTA_07262017

The first 3 episodes are available to stream for free on the EPIX site or app. No subscription required.

The show officially premieres August 13th.
Old 08-13-17, 07:23 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w5w3nBE7WS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Premium cable network EPIX(R) has set the premiere date for its original series Get Shorty. The 10-episode dark comedy from MGM Television, based in part on the 1990 best-selling novel of the same name by Elmore Leonard, will debut on EPIX Sunday, August 13 at 10:00PM ET/PT, 9:00PM CT. The cast, led by Screen Actors Guild Award(R) and BAFTA TV Award nominee Chris O'Dowd ("Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children," Sapphires, Bridesmaids) and multiple Emmy(R) winner Ray Romano ("Everybody Loves Raymond," "Men of a Certain Age," "Parenthood"), includes Sean Bridgers ("Rectify," Room); Lidia Porto (Horrible Bosses 2); Megan Stevenson ("Review"); Goya Robles (11:55); Lucy Walters ("Power") and Carolyn Dodd (The Adventures of Catty Wompus). O'Dowd plays Miles Daly, a hitman from Nevada who tries to become a movie producer in Hollywood as a means to leave his criminal past behind and win back his recently-estranged family. There, he meets Rick Moreweather (Romano), a washed up producer of low quality films who is desperately hanging on to the rungs of Hollywood relevancy and begrudgingly becomes Miles' partner and guide through the maze of show business. Along with his criminal associate Louis (Bridgers), Miles attempts to keep his worlds from colliding as he balances the demands of filmmaking while keeping the suspicions of the crime ring's chief - and production bankroll - Amara (Porto) and her dangerous nephew, Yago (Robles) at bay. Also involved in the production is ambitious studio executive April Adams (Stevenson), who started in the business as Rick's assistant, as well as Miles' beloved daughter Emma (Dodd) - despite objections from Miles' estranged wife, Katie (Walters).

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Carolyn Dodd as Emma
· Chris O'Dowd as Miles Daly
· Goya Robles as Yago
· Lidia Porto as Amara
· Lucy Walters as Katie
· Megan Stevenson as April
· Ray Romano as Rick
· Sarah Stiles as Gladys
· Sean Bridgers as Louis

CREW INFORMATION:
· Adam Arkin as CO-EP
· Allen Coulter as EP/DIR (Pilot)
· Davey Holmes as CRTR/EP
· Elmore Leonard as BOOK
Looks terrible to me.
Old 08-15-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I would have zero interest in this but I love Chris O'Dowd. Dammit.
Old 08-15-17, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk God

I watched the Pilot last night.

It has some slight similarities to the movie, but overall I found it decent. Can't say I was a huge fan of the movie with Travolta. I can't stand Ray Romano, but I liked O'Dowd as the Irish mobster trying to be legit and become a movie producer.

There was some funny scenes and snappy dialogue.
Old 08-23-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2017/08/get-shor...no-1202154869/

Renewed for a 2nd season

But, it looks like no one is watching here.
Old 09-20-17, 11:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't understand why nobody is watching this show. I binged the first seven episodes and I gotta say I absolutely am loving this show. The insider stuff with making a movie and the fish out of water with Chris Odowd's character Miles's partner Luis is very entertaining. I like how the sudden bursts of violence and the uncomfortable situations make for some funny situations. Ray Romano is very reminiscent of Gene Hackmans clueless (when it comes to the criminal aspects) producer from the movie. I have to say if you're not watching, you are missing a very entertaining show, especially if you like behind the scenes stuff of Hollywood film making.
Old 09-21-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Nobody's watching probably because very few even have Epix.
Old 09-21-17, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I have the episodes sitting on the DVR, -I've been kind of waiting to see reactions (a couple of early reviews I read were not enthusiastic).
Old 09-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Yup, exactly. Epix isn't exactly a popular premium cable channel and I know that very very few people here have it.

That's the main reason why no one is watching....here.

I only saw the 1st episode a month ago because Epix made it available for free on their app. Otherwise, the only way I can get Epix is subscribing through Sling TV.
Old 09-21-17, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Or that there are plenty of other TV shows to watch. I don't really even understand the point of this one that is a remake of a movie... or more accurately an adaptation that doesn't even stick the source material. Whats the point of changing it? No thanks. Get Shorty the film was great.
Old 09-21-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I liked the first three episodes but I haven't had the time to plow through any more episodes. These premium cable shows with hour-long episodes have a nasty habit of piling up in my queue.
Old 01-18-19, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

caught most of the first season on Netflix and it was pretty good. Definitely different than than the book or movie but pretty fun none the less. Kinda bummed I won't be able to keep up with the shows next season for a while as I cant justify payign for Epix.... hopefully they do a free preview and I can binge it then...
Old 01-09-20, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My god this show is brillinat! Just finished the last season and loved it. Sad to see it was only 7 episodes and hope to see it back for another season... well written and acted. Why are there not more people talking about this show? (Oh its on Epics and nobody gets it. I saw it due to a free preview and finished the last season and new season in a binge session.) This show deserves a much wider audience.
Old 01-09-20, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
My god this show is brillinat! Just finished the last season and loved it. Sad to see it was only 7 episodes and hope to see it back for another season... well written and acted. Why are there not more people talking about this show? (Oh its on Epics and nobody gets it. I saw it due to a free preview and finished the last season and new season in a binge session.) This show deserves a much wider audience.
Agreed. It would be getting a lot more buzz on a channel like HBO. Almost no one subscribes to EPIX, which kills any discussion of their shows.
Old 04-20-20, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Just finished S1 on the EPIX free preview on Apple TV. Really good so far. The dark humor catches you off guard sometimes and is really funny.
Old 04-20-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
Just finished S1 on the EPIX free preview on Apple TV. Really good so far. The dark humor catches you off guard sometimes and is really funny.
It keeps getting better believe it or not. I am a huge fan of this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.