Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I am challenging all 30 players from You Son of a Sheep to play! Please! My last two games I shot for 20 players, but its time to up the ante.

I have tried to write the questions to include some trivia but not to require trivial Bond knowledge to play. You may not use Google, Wikipedia, the prior Bond Sheep game, etc. Use only what's in your head! On many questions I am leaving plenty of leeway but please take note of special instructions in the questions.

Please note: I am upping the value for REVERSE uniques ... I still think unique answers should always be worth more than -1, so four or more uniques on a question will score -5 each.

Intro for first time players
Spoiler:

(Reverse) Sheep is a game that is part Family Feud, part trivia game. The object of the game is to outwit other players through a series of questions that are usually united in theme. There are two types of questions.
The first, Sheep, is one where you try to think like everyone else and match their answers. The more people you match, the better you do. Let's say we have a game of six players (A through F). A Sheep question might be something like "Name a great color." Sheep questions never have right or wrong answers. Let's say our five players answered like this:
Players A, C, and E said "Blue"
Players B and D said "Green"
Player F said "Chartreuse"
Scoring in Sheep games is like golf: the lower your score, the better. The "Blue" players get -3 points (and the best answer). The "Green" players get -2 points. Player F did not match anyone and gets 0 points.
The second type of question, Reverse Sheep, is the exact opposite. You want to avoid matching other players. A Reverse Sheep question might be something like "Name a state on the Atlantic Coast." Reverse Sheep questions always have right or wrong answers. Let's say our players answered like this:
Players D and E said "Delaware"
Players F and B said "Maine"
Player C said "Texas"
Player A said "South Carolina"
The "Delaware" players get +2 points (a penalty, since you want to have a low score). The "Maine" players also get +2 points. Player C's answer might be debated among the players to see if it is considered correct or not. Wrong answers always score above the most common answer. You're always better off going for something obvious than for something obviously wrong.
That's the gist of it. Each person running a game adds little rules here and there but those are the basics.

General Rules
Spoiler:

The object of the game is to out-think everyone by picking answers to questions that are the most common (Sheep) or least common (Reverse Sheep), but still correct.
Example Sheep question: "Name a professional golfer." A good answer might be Tiger Woods and a bad answer might be Chichi Rodriguez.
Example Reverse Sheep question: "Name a play by Shakespeare." Romeo & Juliet might be a bad answer, but Two Gentlemen of Verona might be a good answer. (Unless everyone is trying to go as obscure as possible).
Scores are tallied according to the number of players answering that question. Sheep answers are tallied as negative. Reverse Sheep answers are tallied as positive. The lowest score wins.
There is no such thing as wrong answer for a Sheep question.
Wrong answers in Reverse Sheep are scored two points above the most common answer.
You may not cheat by using Google, Wikipedia, etc. Use only what's in your head.
Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers, set info, or the question itself. Add {sd} to the end of the answer, not the beginning. Those who do not do this will be penalized 10 points right off the bat.
Note: Be creative with your answers, but don't be stupid.
A question is "Sheep" unless noted with a "Reverse" (in which case it is a Reverse!).

Game-Specific Rules
Unless a question specifies otherwise: Only theatrically released James Bond movies are eligible for answers.

I am leaving leeway in many answers (e.g., character and movie are OK if you don't know the actor's name) however, make sure you are specific enough in your answers. Vague answers with multiple interpretations may receive a 5 point penalty.

Unique Bonus: Reverse Sheep questions will generate additional bonus (negative) points according to the following:
  • 1 Unique is awarded -20
  • 2 Uniques are awarded -15 each
  • 3 Uniques are awarded -10 each
  • 4+ Uniques are awarded -5 each

Slam Dunks {sd}: Players have the power of multipliers in their hands. Each player is given five (5) Slam Dunks ({sd}) which you can use by adding {sd} to the end of your answer. Your Slam Dunks have different effects depending on the question you use it on:
  • In Sheep questions the {sd} multiplies your score by 2x.
  • In Reverse Sheep questions you can use your {sd} to turn the question into a sheep question for you. However, if your answer is wrong, it does nothing.
  • Slam dunks cannot be stacked. Using more than one per question will result in discarding the Slam Dunks and scoring the question normally. You cannot use two slam dunks to turn a Reverse into a Sheep and then slam dunk those sheep answers.

Other reminders: Please send in your answers to me via PM. Place only one answer per line, without numbers or the question itself. Other Sheepmasters have invoked a 10 point penalty for violations -- I have not, but I reserve the right to do so.

Do not forget your {sd}. If you forget to include them I won't be reminding you. If you submit more than 5 {sd}s, the first five will be accepted and all others discarded.

For inspiration ...

Here we go ...

1.) Obvious place to start – Which actor played your favorite James Bond?

2.) You can’t have a conversation about the history of Bond without debating who the sexiest Bond girl has been … Who was it? (Actor or character is acceptable)

3.) Equal time (not guaranteed for the rest of the game) … who was the sexiest Bond?

4.) Whenever a new Bond movie is announced, two of the first questions are “Who is the next Bond girl?” and “Who is performing the theme song?” What has been the best theme song from a Bond movie? (will accept the artist or film if you don’t know the exact name of the song)

5.) Those theme songs aren’t always universally loved though … What was the worst theme song from a Bond movie? (same answer criteria as #4)

6.) REVERSE: Name another famous “J.B.” from the fictional world of espionage (hint: from material outside the Bond universe and mediums other than film are acceptable)

7.) Bond is a timeless character … What decade was the best decade for Bond films?

8.) Bond is steeped in iconography. Bond films have featured many exotic locations, beautiful women, and unbelievable stunts. What is the most iconic image or moment from the world of Bond?

9.) REVERSE: Among those picturesque backdrops Bond has gone up against a number of agencies, organizations, and syndicates. Some were fictional, some were real. Name an organization Bond has gone up against.

10.) Believe it or not, more actors have played Ernst Stavro Blofeld than have played James Bond (if you count uncredited appearances). Who was the best Bond villain NOT named Blofeld?

11.) Many say Cubby Broccoli was so integral to the Bond legacy that Bond would have never left the pages of books without the Broccoli family. Other than broccoli, what is your favorite vegetable?

12.) Women want him, men want to be him. Who should be the next Bond? (Though there will be some overlap, I’m not asking who is rumored!)

13.) REVERSE: Bond will return … In a galaxy far, far away. Name an actor or actress who appeared in both a Bond film and a Star Wars film. (no cartoons, must be theatrically released)

14.) Of the many Bond tropes, the gadgets are one of the coolest. Granted the cars are cool, but we excluding them from this question … What Bond gadget do you want the most?

15.) Alive or dead, what actress should be (or should have been) a Bond girl, but hasn’t been?

16.) REVERSE: Bond often finds himself in life or death situations. Name a Bond film title that references life or death (or some derivative).

17.) Over the years, Bond has had a very supportive cast of characters at MI:6. Who was your favorite? (actor specific – but I will accept the character AND movie if you are not sure of the actor’s name)

18.) REVERSE: Friends and foes, another Bond trope has been the "double entendre name" of the characters (usually Bond Girls) ... Which was your favorite suggestive name?

19.) James Bond has been a part of the world’s collective conscience for over 50 years now. Over that time he has been often imitated but never duplicated. What has been the best parody, spoof, or knock-off movie?

20.) The last few Sheep games have come down to the wire. Here is your last chance to push ahead to Sheep glory -- or to languish with 006 and 008 as the agents who could have been … What is your favorite Bond movie?

Before you get started, please take a moment to patronize our generous sponsor of this game, Universal Imports.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-18-16 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Even though I did badly in the last one, I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-18-16, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Summer of Reverse Sheep Continues -- Double-Oh Sheep: The James Bond Edition

Hmmm ... I'll have to think about this. You know, there's no rule that says you have to come up with 20 questions. You seem to be really stretching it with a couple of these
Old 08-18-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

6 seems like it will be brutal. I can think of 1 at the moment.
Old 08-18-16, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm definitely in. Answers tonight after I get home from work.

I expect to do poorly here. As a big fan, I might think "non-sheepy" for "favorite" and "best" questions.

Last edited by tommyp007; 08-18-16 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-18-16, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in. Will send answers later tonight.
Old 08-18-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brainee
Hmmm ... I'll have to think about this. You know, there's no rule that says you have to come up with 20 questions. You seem to be really stretching it with a couple of these
You should see some of the ones I tossed out! My original intent was not to go to 20, but I ended up with 25 or so when writing them. I thought about cutting it down more, but I thought some of the odd ones would be fun.

I tried to stay away from trivia/minutiae (though not on all of them) in an effort to encourage people who may be casual fans to play. I actually wanted to come up with a few fun "non-Bond" tie-ins (I expected flak for #11 actually!) just to mix it up.
Old 08-18-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
6 seems like it will be brutal. I can think of 1 at the moment.
That one was intended to be. I actually can't wait for the reveals as I have a good source that inspired the question.
Old 08-18-16, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Answers incoming! I'm not a Bond expert by any means so hopefully my answers at least help someone else!
Old 08-18-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

6.) REVERSE: Name another famous “J.B.” from the fictional world of espionage (hint: from material outside the Bond universe)

Does this have to be from a theatrically released film, or is TV/books/comics acceptable?
Old 08-18-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
6.) REVERSE: Name another famous “J.B.” from the fictional world of espionage (hint: from material outside the Bond universe)

Does this have to be from a theatrically released film, or is TV/books/comics acceptable?
Sorry, I forgot to clarify this one. I will update the question. Other mediums are acceptable, but I'd caution you not to go too obscure as "famous" is part of the criteria. (Yes, that is a relative term.)
Old 08-18-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm in, and I'm gonna win. Expect me to quote myself when the final results come in. (Or not, if I lose.)
Old 08-18-16, 10:49 AM

There are no wrong answers in Sheep, I know...but for #19, does the answer have to be a theatrically released movie?
Old 08-18-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GhostLee
There are no wrong answers in Sheep, I know...but for #19, does the answer have to be a theatrically released movie?
Yes, that one does need to be theatrical. Unless other people agree with you.
Old 08-18-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Terrible answers sent.
Old 08-18-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm in. Will send my laser-focused-for-last-place answers later today.
Old 08-18-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have my answers but I keep changing my slams. But then I realize that it really doesn't matter so sending answers now.
Old 08-18-16, 04:54 PM

Terrible answers sent.
Old 08-18-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was gonna come in here and say after my last 2 sheep showings, I'm sitting this one out but what the hell, maybe I should just make it a trifecta of bad results. Last place answers coming!
Old 08-18-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I have my answers but I keep changing my slams. But then I realize that it really doesn't matter so sending answers now.
I spent longer picking my {sd} on this game then any other. What drives me nuts is I have no idea which era of Bond most players are going to gravitate towards; the early films, the middle films, or the latter?
Old 08-18-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Answers sent
Old 08-18-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I spent longer picking my {sd} on this game then any other. What drives me nuts is I have no idea which era of Bond most players are going to gravitate towards; the early films, the middle films, or the latter?
Same here. Also I'll think of what I consider a great and then wonder if anyone will remember it. I'll be kicking myself, as usual.
Old 08-18-16, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious to see the answers for this and the best Bond ... It's been said that people naturally gravitate towards the era and actor they grew up with. I'll wait till the reveals to ask if this is the case (don't want to tip the hat too soon).
Old 08-18-16, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Eleven players in so far ... Wow! These guys are definitely not overthinking their answers. Be a blunt instrument and follow that gut instinct. Let your Sheep training take over and quit thinking!

bunkaroo
Mr. Flix
Crocker Jarmen
Super X
The AllPurposeNothing
TomOpus
GhostLee
mwbmis
Kal-El
tommyp007
bradler

Currently bradler is winning the unofficial "best title" for his submissions with "Nobody does it better ..."

Just for fun trivia ... The title of all 12 of Ian Flemming's James Bond books have been used as film titles. The titles of 5 short stories have also been used however there are still 4 short story titles that have NOT been used. Can you name the 4 unused titles?

Spoiler:
The Hildebrand Rarity, Risico, 007 in New York, and The Property of a Lady

Old 08-19-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

That's some nice fan art. Those are awful titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.