Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Good place to start with Monty Python?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 09:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So I want to give at least one of their movies a shot. Seen bits and pieces. What's considered their best and best place to start?
Old 07-30-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Good place to start with Monty Python?

Holy Grail
Old 07-30-16, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The three movies are very different.

"The Meaning of Life" is closest to their Flying Circus tv series in that it's a collection of skits that showcase their unique sense of humor.

"The Holy Grail" is a single sustained narrative that feels like one of their skits expanded into a full-length feature.

"The Life of Brian" is an attempt at a more serious film, though it still features the Classic Monty Python sensibilities.

Brian is probably their best film, though Grail and Meaning are more representative of the group. All three, in addition to Flying Circus, are all worth watching.
Old 07-30-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Start with "And Now For Something Completely Different."
Old 07-30-16, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Start with "And Now For Something Completely Different."
While this is a good "sampler", it's a compilation of clips from the tv show. I'd skip it and watch the show instead.
The theatrical features, unrestricted by tv censorship, allowed them to go all out. Two are rated R.

If it was me, I'd watch the tv show then the movies. Skipping And Now For Something Completely Different. It's all gold.
Old 07-30-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Holy Grail is the most accessible. If it doesn't make you laugh, their humor is probably not going to work for you.
Old 07-30-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Holy Grail is the most accessible. If it doesn't make you laugh, their humor is probably not going to work for you.
Holy Grail is what made me realize that Monty Python just isn't for me. Actually, for the most part, British humor just doesn't work for me.
Old 07-30-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Most people consider Grail the best. Personally, I like Life of Brian better. I also like Grail, though honestly I'm not a big fan of Meaning of Life. I do love the series though.

If you want to start from something more traditional, and if you like that, go further and further off the rails and see if it works for you, I would start with Brian, then Grail, and Meaning of Life next.

If after that, you still dig it, definitely check out Flying Circus.
Old 07-30-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Holy Grail is what made me realize that Monty Python just isn't for me. Actually, for the most part, British humor just doesn't work for me.
I think that Monty Python and The Holy Grail is their most accessible film but I tend to not like Monty Python that much either. I went through a span of time where I tried getting into them and have seen all their films plus a handful of episodes of the series and overall it doesn't do much for me. I tend to find British humor really works or just falls flat for me.
Old 07-30-16, 01:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Personally love it all, but understand how many won't. Holy Grail is tied as my favorite movie of all-time, but perhaps watching a show or two (or the compilation film) would be a good appetizer to get a taste.
Old 07-30-16, 01:17 PM

And while the series is spectacularly hilarious, I think Fawlty Towers is better, and more accessible from a typical American perspective.
Old 07-30-16, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Holy Grail and the TV show are the way to go.
Old 07-30-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
And while the series is spectacularly hilarious, I think Fawlty Towers is better, and more accessible from a typical American perspective.
Flying Circus has many moments of brilliant, wildly adventurous comedy, but I also like Fawlty Towers better. The greatest sitcom of all time, IMO.
Old 07-30-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Brian is probably their best film
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Most people consider Grail the best. Personally, I like Life of Brian better.
Old 07-30-16, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Flying Circus has many moments of brilliant, wildly adventurous comedy, but I also like Fawlty Towers better. The greatest sitcom of all time, IMO.
Farty Towels is awesome
Old 07-30-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I agree with the Fawlty Towers being brilliant but I wouldn't consider it a good place to start for "Monty Python" films.

I'd start the *movies* with Monty Python and the Holy Grail as much as anything due to it feeling like a extended sketch from the show. After that go with Life of Brian, my personal favorite of the Python films, and then The Meaning of Life.
Old 07-30-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd start with a few pints. Perhaps something English. A nice dark ale.
Old 07-30-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
While this is a good "sampler", it's a compilation of clips from the tv show. I'd skip it and watch the show instead.
The theatrical features, unrestricted by tv censorship, allowed them to go all out. Two are rated R.

If it was me, I'd watch the tv show then the movies. Skipping And Now For Something Completely Different. It's all gold.

It's not a compilation of clips from the show. It's more of a "best of." They re-shot their favorite sketches for this film (intended as an introduction for an American audience). The timing on these new versions is absolutely perfect and I actually prefer them to the original sketches. It's the perfect precursor to Holy Grail.

Old 07-31-16, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I would say between Holy Grail and Life of Brian. Based on your viewing habits, I think you may enjoy Brian more but Holy Grail is pure comedy quotable gold.
Old 07-31-16, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Going against the other answers, but first one I saw was Meaning of Life and I'd recommend that.
Old 07-31-16, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Holy Grail is one of my favorite comedies, but I rewatched it recently with some Python newbies and I could see it wasn't really connecting. I think Life of Brian has a clearer narrative and might be a better jumping-in spot.
Old 07-31-16, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Holy Grail is one of my favorite comedies, but I rewatched it recently with some Python newbies and I could see it wasn't really connecting. I think Life of Brian has a clearer narrative and might be a better jumping-in spot.
The OP never established if he was a fan of the tv show. Not everybody gets them (or British humor). Since he never mentioned it, and was only asking about the movies, I assumed he was already familiar with them.
Old 07-31-16, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Have any of you rewatched Fawlty Towers in recent years? Try it. I did about 5 years ago and whereas once I thought it was very funny I now found it to be absolutely HORRIBLE. Nigh on unwatchable shit. It has not aged well in the slightest.

As for the Flying Circus, it was very hit and miss. ANFSCD was best to see them gather the best skits in one place. As for the movies Brian is easily the best. And I actually have a lot of love for the Meaning of Life. I would actually put the Holy Grail as the worst movie. And that is still pretty good.
Old 07-31-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Yes, I saw a few episodes of Fawlty Towers about two years ago and love it.
Old 07-31-16, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by james2025a
Have any of you rewatched Fawlty Towers in recent years? Try it. I did about 5 years ago and whereas once I thought it was very funny I now found it to be absolutely HORRIBLE. Nigh on unwatchable shit. It has not aged well in the slightest.

As for the Flying Circus, it was very hit and miss. ANFSCD was best to see them gather the best skits in one place. As for the movies Brian is easily the best. And I actually have a lot of love for the Meaning of Life. I would actually put the Holy Grail as the worst movie. And that is still pretty good.
Wow. In all my years here, I've never read an opinion with which I disagree more. You win the forum today!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.