Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best release of Star Trek: The Original Series?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 09:43 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Which is the best release:

Which release, in your opinion, is the best?

Last edited by kd5; 07-18-16 at 05:11 AM.
Old 07-18-16, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best release of Star Trek: The Original Series?

Originally Posted by kd5

I think it's the hinged plastic case with the square box inside.
Old 07-18-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I think I have the top one, but I might also have the middle one from when it was a combo HD DVD release.

Man, 10 years ago I would've slammed this question, but comparing physical releases is just not my game anymore.
Old 07-18-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It depends on just what you're looking for.

#1 - I own this one. It's a good release but it's the earlier remaster effort which, while good, is a bit lacking. Quite watchable, but color and contrast are a bit off when compared to the recent efforts. The case is rather impractical/inconvenient. It opens like a old style Zippo lighter (hinge on the side). Inside is a "brick" of plastic "pages" with clear packing type tape serving as a hinge and holding the brick together. The episode list is a separate booklet that sits in the same area as the brick.

#2 - Haven't seen. But from what I've read it's the same as #3, just in different packaging *and* S1 is flippies with HDDVD on one side and DVD on the other. S2 & S3 are normal DVDs.

#3 - I also own this one, but in the full series box. It's the recent remastered versions with "improved" fx. No option to watch with original fx (don't know about sound yet) - it has *only* the updated fx (with a CGI Enterprise and more).

I've not yet watched my DVD set so here are my thoughts on the remastered/updated fx versions based on the BR release:

I waited until I purchased a BR player to get the remastered versions on BR due to their exclusive ability to watch with either original or updated fx/audio. I only purchased a remastered DVD set when I got one new for $9 (yep... $9 for all three seasons). The video is much better than #1 (sharper/crisper image, colors look better saturated/normal, and contrast is much better). It looks *very* good *but* the updated fx just don't quite work - at least for me. The CGI Enterprise too often looks "wrong" in some way or another. Usually it's the angle in which it's shown and the perspective looks off. Yeah... being done on computer that shouldn't happen but, to me, it does... frequently. I like the new looks of the planets they orbit but, in spite of the realistic new look, prefer the original. They frequently changed the angle(s) and even shots of the Enterprise in space sequences. I'd assumed they kept the original framing/layouts and just digitized them but that's not the case. When using the viewscreen to look astern they added the nacelles to the shot while the originals are "clear" of obstruction (they way it should be). There are many more such changes. Some good, some not so good. There's a new stereo/surround(?) audio track with a newly recorded open them song. It's good - but doesn't sound quite "right." I'm a musician and notice *small* things. There are a few in the newly recorded open but I doubt most people would notice the things I heard as different. Not having my system connected to a stereo (TV sound only) I didn't care for the remixed audio as it, too, sounded a bit "off" and prefer the original mono (and probably will once I *do* get a stereo system connected). The menu design/implementation is also superior to that original DVD release and less cumbersome to navigate. I'm assuming the new DVD set uses the same menu structure as does the BR release.

Having watched all 3 seasons with the updated fx I can safely say I'll watch the original in the future *unless* I'm introducing someone to the series. In that case I'll use the updated fx as they'll have no point of reference to know if there's a issue with any of them. They *do* look very good - just not what I'm used to seeing.

I know #1 has the "Next Week" promos - playable separately but can't tell you if the remastered version(s) do (I'd guess they do but at this point I just watch the episodes and pretty much ignore "special features").

So... it really depends - IF you have only a DVD player, but I lean towards the newly remastered versions as, IMHO, the huge improvement in image trumps the updated vs. original fx argument.

If you have a Blu-ray player then get one of these because you get the ability to watch the *remastered* versions with *either* the original fx or the updated ones as well are updated audio or original mono (again, the one I prefer):

*or*

The top one is 3 individual season cases with discs inside (I own this one). Good packaging. The cases are normal multi-disc BR cases.

The bottom one has the same discs as the first but all three seasons are in one of those large plastic boxes CBS now uses for full series releases. It has a removable plastic block of pages inside with the discs. This case is the height of a DVD case with 2 discs per page side. I like those cases, lots of people don't.

Right now both are at Amazon - ~$65 for single cases, ~$60 for the large case. Sometimes you can catch it at Amazon UK for a bit less (region free) but that's a great price for all 3 seasons.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-19-16 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-19-16, 05:14 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info, especially the details BobO'Link. I just need to decide which release I want to get. Pretty sure #1 is out, don't particularly care for the packaging, as well as the info on the early attempt at remastering. Since #2 is essentially the same as #1 but with different packaging, I'm inclined to go with the current release. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-19-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info, especially the details BobO'Link. I just need to decide which release I want to get. Pretty sure #1 is out, don't particularly care for the packaging, as well as the info on the early attempt at remastering. Since #2 is essentially the same as #1 but with different packaging, I'm inclined to go with the current release. Thanks everyone!
You're welcome! If I were purchasing this the first time and had only a DVD player I'd likely go with the newer release in spite of wanting the ability to watch with the original fx. A lot of that has to do with the overall improvement in the image which, IMHO, trumps the updated vs. original fx argument.

Part of me wants to open the new set I purchased and give it a look "just because" but the BR copy is so good I just don't know if it'd be worth the effort. I got it simply because it was cheap and can make a viable backup. I'd give it to one of my kids or grandkids but *none* of them (so far - still have a few too young to appreciate the show) like the show.
Old 07-19-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I bought STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES: The Complete Series Remastered/ (1966-69) 79 eps. on 25 discs, rel. 2015/CBS-Paramount - for $49.99.
Here's the Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Ori...ies+Remastered

I was dismayed to learn after I bought it that it had replaced all the original effects shots, an act of tampering that I find to be a desecration. In any event, I decided to keep the set and not return it and began watching these eps. for the current DVD Talk Sci-Fi Challenge (see separate threads on this forum) in anticipation of doing a blog entry on the series' 50th anniversary this September.

I've seen eleven episodes so far this month and I'm leery of continuing. The plan was to dig out old favorites and see some of the many eps. I still have never seen. But I'm having trouble with Shatner's constant preening and the apparent stipulation in his contract that he has to have a makeout scene with a hot guest star in every third episode or have some lovestruck young girl-in-distress need a hug from him. Yecch!

Plus, the stories are often really ridiculous. Granted, they seemed fresh and innovative at the time, but so many of concepts (like a computer running a society) have been so overplayed since then, that you can see the ending from the very beginning of the episode and, if there's nothing left but the "surprise" at the end and you're not surprised, the entertainment value is gone.

Also, because of the hi-def visuals, you can now see things that weren't visible on b&w TV sets (which I first watched the show on) or the early color sets that were spreading into homes in the 1960s. (I didn't have a color set in my home until 1978, two years after graduating from college.) For instance, the makeup on all of the actors is so clearly visible it's distracting. Whenever an actor doesn't wear makeup, like venerable old Elisha Cook playing Kirk's lawyer in the "Court Martial" episode, it's obvious also. More props for Cook who had such a great face he didn't need makeup.
Old 07-19-16, 08:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Both my wife and I used to watch Star Trek TOS and have fond memories of the show. We are both well aware of Kirk's "womanizing", it's part of the experience and charm of the series, in addition to the adventures, even the comedic episodes. Since this is the only way we'll ever see it again (no interest in Net Flix or streaming), I decided to acquire the series on disc. This seemed the cheapest way to pick it up ($44.88 for the 3 individual seasons at Walmart), the previous releases will be harder to come by and more expensive, and I don't think we'll mind the updated effects. I think we'll be happy with these...
Old 07-21-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
#3 - I also own this one, but in the full series box. It's the recent remastered versions with "improved" fx. No option to watch with original fx (don't know about sound yet) - it has *only* the updated fx (with a CGI Enterprise and more).

I've not yet watched my DVD set so here are my thoughts on the remastered/updated fx versions based on the BR release:
If I'm ever going to waste more cash on Star Trek TOS dvds (ie. not blurays), it would have to be a complete series dvd set featuring the hd remastered versions with the original fx.

To my sensibilities, I found the new updated fx somewhat jarring to watch. I'm very used to watching Star Trek TOS with the original fx, especially during the 20+ years over the late-1980s, entire 1990s, and early -> mid 2000s when I didn't really watch any regular tv/movies. (I only started watching tv regularly again in mid-2007). ST:TOS was one of the few shows I actually liked watching a lot (in reruns) during these two lost decades for me.