Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anthropoid (WWII film) -- D: Ellis S: Cillian Murphy -- August 2016

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-11-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

Plot: Based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the WWII mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler.

Old 08-15-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Anthropoid (WWII film) -- D: Ellis S: Cillian Murphy -- August 2016

I saw this over the weekend, and I can't praise this film enough. Anthropoid wasn't just another WW2 movie. It was an experience. I experienced what it felt like to be a Czech living under Hitler's thumb. I experienced incredible bravery against hopeless odds. It was so visarel, ugly and real. I read the wikipedia article on operation Anthropoid and the movie depicted all the events, beat for beat, not only the plot but the aftermath and consequencse. Almost no artistic liberties taken which is rare.

The ending was so overwhelming emotionally in the final act that I found myself quietly weeping during the credits. I don't think that has happened to me on that level since Saving Private Ryan. And the audience was tombstone quiet just like I remember with Ryan. It's a really important WW2 story that has been forgotten, and I fear this movie will be forgotten as well. Make an effort to go see it. Best film of the year for me.
Old 08-15-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I wanted to go see this over the weekend, but did not make it. I am going to try to go see it sometime this week
Old 08-15-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

When I first heard the movie title I thought it was a sci-fi/horror movie. It was nice to see otherwise, but I do love me some sci-fi/horror. Sounds like a good. I'll hopefully get a chance to check it out in the theater after the Olympics are finished.
Old 08-15-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
When I first heard the movie title I thought it was a sci-fi/horror movie. It was nice to see otherwise, but I do love me some sci-fi/horror. Sounds like a good. I'll hopefully get a chance to check it out in the theater after the Olympics are finished.
Yeah they really screwed up the marketing. It's an odd movie title and the trailer makes it look like a thriller caper movie, but it is so much more including an action packed battle scene. The assassination plot story is only the first half of this movie.
Old 08-16-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

56% Rotten after 59 reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/anthropoid/

Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 08-16-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Yeah they really screwed up the marketing. It's an odd movie title and the trailer makes it look like a thriller caper movie, but it is so much more including an action packed battle scene. The assassination plot story is only the first half of this movie.
Old 08-17-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 275 Likes on 177 Posts

I thought this was pretty solid...certainly better than the lukewarm/mixed reviews this has received. Murphy was as good as ever, and I was even impressed with the 50 Shades of Grey dude. Good actor.

Good atmosphere and tension throughout. You knew it wouldn't end well for them, but I was still on the edge of my seat.

I wouldn't call it one of the best war films to come out in the last decade or so, but it's worthy of your attention if you're a fan of WWII films. I'd say it's on par with Valkyrie.