Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

GoHastings Files For Bankruptcy (Chapter 11)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 06-21-16, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope someone buys them so we hopefully can continue with their sales. They're dropping like flies.

http://www.dcourier.com/news/2016/ju...y-looks-buyer/
Old 06-21-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: GoHastings Files For Bankruptcy (Chapter 11)

I think it will be hard for them to find a buyer with a deteriorating economy. Physical media sees one less distribution outlet for its product.
Old 06-21-16, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

You really love having your own Go Hastings threads for some reason. Already being discussed at length in the main thread.
Old 06-21-16, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You really love having your own Go Hastings threads for some reason. Already being discussed at length in the main thread.
Where's the main thread? I only see this and the one in the Blu-ray forum which has not been updated since the 17th.
Old 06-21-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
Where's the main thread? I only see this and the one in the Blu-ray forum which has not been updated since the 17th.
There isn't a DVD thread. This was discussed already in one of the other DVD sale threads that the same person made the same asinine comment on.
Old 06-22-16, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...s-blu-ray.html

Discussion has never been limited to BD and included DVD, CD, book, etc. talk.
Old 06-22-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It has been discussed before. That thread is in the blu ray bargains forum, which not everybody checks. The title of the thread is even "Hastings / gohastings.com discounts and deals on Blu-ray ". People that are only interested in sales on dvds dont want to wade through all the other stuff that doesn't apply to them. That's the whole reason that we have a seperate forum for dvd bargains. Several people have said that they like seeing the deals for dvds here in the dvd bargains forum. Only one person apparently has a problem with it.
Old 06-22-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Somewhat agree, but put this in a wiki-post in this thread because if people buy stuff from GH and aren't aware of potential issues in the very near future, there could be issues with not receiving titles, not being able to get refunds, and whatever else.

I'd like people to be informed of their retailer when they purchase, rather than just making purchases with no information on the potential issues they could get.
Old 06-26-16, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Just stopped short of making an online purchase. Man, have a few orders that are 'In Progress' and one refund due from something shipped back to them a week ago. Keeping fingers Xed
Old 06-26-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They are still fulfilling orders. They hope to stay in business by finding a buyer, so they aren't going scorched earth yet on their policies.
Old 06-26-16, 11:44 PM

I've noticed a steep drop in the number of deals they've had recently, at least for DVDs. Seems like everything has been to blow out high priced new stock- vinyl, Disney Infinity, etc.

I will say this as an addendum: Here in Cleveland there is a local drug store chain at that I also buy my pre-viewed DVDs at. About every two months they have a $2 off coupon, good for one week, in the store flyer. They most recent one featured a coupon that expires 12/31/16. Needless to say, I grabbed a bunch.

I work for Half Price Books. When I started there, we only got a 20% employee discount on used DVDs. About four years ago (hard to believe it's been that long), that jumped to 50%. I can tell you right now that my store is absolutely swimming in used stuff. I see new release DVDs that have only been out about 6 months ending up in clearance on a regular basis.
Old 06-27-16, 08:19 AM

Yeah, I've noticed they've had their Dollarbill DVD sale (buy 2-get third for a $1) for quite awhile.
Seems prior to that, they had a different used DVD sale every week. I missed their 50-minute sale over the weekend and only hope they offer something better than Dollarbill soon.
Old 06-27-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's getting tougher and tougher turning a profit selling used media. People are dumping their collections left and right as demand dwindles.
Old 06-28-16, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Somewhat agree, but put this in a wiki-post in this thread because if people buy stuff from GH and aren't aware of potential issues in the very near future, there could be issues with not receiving titles, not being able to get refunds, and whatever else.

I'd like people to be informed of their retailer when they purchase, rather than just making purchases with no information on the potential issues they could get.
I'm not concerned. I use Paypal and it's easy enough to challenge and get a refund if items are not delivered.
Old 10-31-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

One last bump to thank DVD-Obsession for his work putting out sale information for gohastings. Over the past couple of years I purchased hundreds of titles at great prices thanks to those alerts. Before that I'd purchased a large chunk of my music library from them (going back 30+ years) as well as gaming, books, and the occasional magazine (I tended to subscribe - it was far less expensive).

Today was to be the last day *any* Hastings store was open - did any make it this far?

Last week, driving by the one here, I noticed they were already closed.
Old 11-01-16, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
One last bump to thank DVD-Obsession for his work putting out sale information for gohastings. Over the past couple of years I purchased hundreds of titles at great prices thanks to those alerts. Before that I'd purchased a large chunk of my music library from them (going back 30+ years) as well as gaming, books, and the occasional magazine (I tended to subscribe - it was far less expensive).

Today was to be the last day *any* Hastings store was open - did any make it this far?

Last week, driving by the one here, I noticed they were already closed.
Any remaining open stores closed Saturday. I got an email that it was their last day and they had a "special event" to get rid of any remaining merchandise at 3PM. According to someone on CAG, you could fill a giant bag with books for $10 or anything else for $30.