full story and menu
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...d-by-max-diner

pics:

Old 06-01-16, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Saved by the Bell restaurant opened in Chicago today

wow, from the article,

"Can I get a seat?

Dinner tickets are sold out through August, with limited walk-ins for dinner accepted. Late night service and weekend brunch will be walk-ins only, so yes, if you are willing to brace a possible line, there is room."
Looks like they got a hit.
Old 06-01-16, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Damn Millenials.
Old 06-02-16, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Damn Millenials.
We Need another Vietnam to Thin out Their Ranks a Little
Old 06-02-16, 06:24 AM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm moving back to Chicago in September. Hoping this gets extended and remains open until the end of the year. If they have the business, I can't see why they wouldn't.
Old 06-02-16, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

They don't have an item called "Screech's Dirty Sancho?"

That's a missed opportunity.
Old 06-02-16, 07:58 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

By the looks of it, they did a pretty good job with the likeness. This would be a cool place to check out at some point.
Old 06-02-16, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Not to nitpick (ok, I'm nitpicking), but this show was actually more for Generation X. I imagine most of its audience was between 14-18, which during this show's run means they were born mid 70's

Anyway, it looks pretty cool. I'd check it out if I could.
Old 06-02-16, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Not to nitpick (ok, I'm nitpicking), but this show was actually more for Generation X. I imagine most of its audience was between 14-18, which during this show's run means they were born mid 70's.
18 year olds wouldn't be caught dead watching this show when it first came on. The show began life on the Disney Channel and then it ran on Saturday mornings on NBC after cartoons. I'd say 10-13 year olds were the prime demo. As for which generation lays claim to the show, remember that this has been in syndication for decades at this point. Even if it debuted in the late 80's, millenials growing up in the 90's probably had a minimum of 10 airings a day via syndication to choose from.
Old 06-02-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

What you can't see in this pic above is what's cut off at the right... the bar.

Old 06-02-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I was born in 1977, which places me in Gen X, and the show is extremely popular with people my age. It was extremely common the find the re-runs on TBS being watched in a college dorm room while I was in college in the mid to late nineties.
Old 06-02-16, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Early Gen-X. I was born in '68 and I wouldn't have a thing to do with the show.
Old 06-02-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
18 year olds wouldn't be caught dead watching this show when it first came on. The show began life on the Disney Channel and then it ran on Saturday mornings on NBC after cartoons. I'd say 10-13 year olds were the prime demo. As for which generation lays claim to the show, remember that this has been in syndication for decades at this point. Even if it debuted in the late 80's, millenials growing up in the 90's probably had a minimum of 10 airings a day via syndication to choose from.
10 year olds? don't be ridiculous. It's a show set in high school, why would 10 year olds have been interested in this? 10 year olds watch stuff like Spongebob.

Nah, I remember my teenage cousin (she was probably 15-17) being obsessed with this show back when it aired.

And as Obi Wan Jabroni points out above, he said it was fairly common to see teens and even college age kids watching this show.
Old 06-02-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I was a huge SBTB fan as a kid, so was pretty much everyone I know. I was born in 85, I don't know if that puts me in the 'millennial' category or the middle period of 'generation Y'.
Old 06-02-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 year olds? don't be ridiculous. It's a show set in high school, why would 10 year olds have been interested in this? 10 year olds watch stuff like Spongebob.
Two summer ago my son, who was 11 then, watched the entire run.

Show aired when I was in high school and 16- to 18-year olds were NOT waking up at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning to watch Slater and Zack's high jinx at Bayside High. Was definitely aiming for the pre-teen, middle school demo. (The show's first season was even set in a junior.)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I was born in 1977, which places me in Gen X, and the show is extremely popular with people my age. It was extremely common the find the re-runs on TBS being watched in a college dorm room while I was in college in the mid to late nineties.
College is when I "discovered" it too. Summer between my junior and senior year in college I'd binge-watch the show on USA which aired it, in order, in 2-hour blocks at midnight.
Old 06-02-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: saved by the Bell restaurant opened in Chicago today

Nah, I remember my teenage cousin (she was probably 15-17) being obsessed with this show back when it aired.

And as Obi Wan Jabroni points out above, he said it was fairly common to see teens and even college age kids watching this show.
Kids generally are attracted to shows where the characters are slightly older than them. I was 10 when the show started and 14 when it went off the air. I had lost all interest by 14, other than maybe stopping while flipping channels if one of the girls had on a sexy outfit.
Old 06-02-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Saved by the Bell restaurant opened in Chicago today

On Nickelodeon you'd also have shows with older kids, such as Clarissa, Hey Dude, All That, Are You Afraid of the Dark, which 10 year olds (or younger) would watch, in addition to the Nicktoons. It's not one or the other, you could like both, one or none. But to say that no 10 year olds would be watching is itself ridiculous.
Old 06-02-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was born in 82 and watched new episodes of the show regularly.

Although it's funny to be considered a millennial like some people do, since that was never the case growing up. It was always Gen X for me.
Old 06-02-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Early Gen-X. I was born in '68 and I wouldn't have a thing to do with the show.
'67, and same.
Old 06-02-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

http://www.spin.com/2014/08/1996-sav...fornia-dreams/

Here's the most relevant quote from creator Peter Engel, but there's other info in there about the "teen tv" phenomenon of the early 90's.

“Saved by the Bell owns the 9-14 demographic,” Engel told me. “Teenagers all over the world love us.”
I was 9 when Saved by the Bell started. I watched the show every week. The college kids Obi Wan mentions are kids who were in the younger demo when the show debuted. Later in life they watched re-runs because a.)they were everywhere, and b.)it was nostalgic comfort food. I'm not going to argue that there weren't any older kids who watched the show, but I would imagine the number of 17 and 18 year olds watching during the original run is a drop in the bucket compared to the pre-teen audience.
Old 06-02-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I was born in '81. This was definitely popular with kids my age. Looking at it today, it seems like that was the audience they were targeting.
Old 06-02-16, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think any male, of any age, was willing to watch kelly kapowski in a cheerleading outfit
Old 06-02-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Show aired when I was in high school and 16- to 18-year olds were NOT waking up at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning to watch Slater and Zack's high jinx at Bayside High. Was definitely aiming for the pre-teen, middle school demo. (The show's first season was even set in a junior.)
That's why it didn't air at 8:00am. That was Saturday morning cartoons. Saved By the Bell aired after 11 am in my area anyway. I was 12 and watched it every week. I have fond memories of the show, but never went out of my way to watch the reruns.
Old 06-02-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
The college kids Obi Wan mentions are kids who were in the younger demo when the show debuted. Later in life they watched re-runs because a.)they were everywhere, and b.)it was nostalgic comfort food.
This is true. I don't imagine there were a lot of people in that age group watching the reruns in college who hadn't watched them at least casually when they first aired, unless they somehow missed the phenomenon when they were younger and then had it forced on them by a roommate.
Old 06-02-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 578 Likes on 417 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't have kids.

Most 10 yr olds are DEFINITELY very interested in high school stuff. heck, my 5 year old is!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.