Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Outcast (Cinemax) -- From EP Robert Kirkman -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Outcast (Cinemax) -- From EP Robert Kirkman -- Series Thread

From the Creator of The Walking Dead, Robert Kirkman's Outcast is based on the Skybound/Image comic produced for CINEMAX by FOX International Studios (FIS).

OUTCAST follows Kyle Barnes, a young man who has been plagued by possession since he was a child. Now an adult, he embarks on a journey to find answers but what he uncovers could mean the end of life on Earth as we know it.

Episode 1 summary:

Episode #1: "A Darkness Surrounds Him"

Debut: FRIDAY, JUNE 3 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT)

Other CINEMAX playdates: June 3 (11:00 p.m., midnight), 4 (9:00 p.m., 11:35 p.m.), 5 (5:15 p.m.), 6 (11:00 p.m.), 7 (1:30 a.m.), 8 (10:00 p.m.), 9 (9:00 p.m.) and 23 (7:00 p.m.)

Kyle Barnes (Patrick Fugit) confronts a possession case and begins to delve into the secrets of his past.

Written by Robert Kirkman; directed by Adam Wingard.

10 episode 1st season.

The show officially premieres on Friday, June 3rd. However, HBO/Cinemax posted the 1st episode for free today on Youtube and it's available On Demand as well. The Youtube version appears to be Uncut TV-MA.

Starting today, the full first episode is available to stream for free on YouTube, Facebook and watchoutcast.com. HBO and Cinemax subscribers will also be able to sample the full episode from Max On Demand and HBO On Demand, in addition to the authenticated streaming services Max GO and HBO GO, and via Free On Demand and authenticated affiliate portals. Additionally, the episode will be available for free on Playstation 4 consoles.
Watch it below on Youtube or on demand through your provider:

Old 05-20-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Outcast (Cinemax) -- From EP Robert Kirkman -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/3/1

I checked this out tonight and really enjoyed it. I've read the first trade of the comic, but had kind of forgotten it.

I wish I could do a season pass through iTunes or Google Play.
Old 06-03-16, 07:02 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Outcast (Cinemax) -- From EP Robert Kirkman -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/3/1

Starts tonight, 6/3/15.
Old 06-03-16, 09:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Caught part of this the other day on Dish's preview network, Studio. Looking forward to watching the complete episode tonight.
Old 06-03-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So is this straight up horror or what? I am not much of a horror fan, but Cinemax has done no wrong with Banshee and Strike Back, so I was considering checking this out.
Old 06-03-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
So is this straight up horror or what? I am not much of a horror fan, but Cinemax has done no wrong with Banshee and Strike Back, so I was considering checking this out.
Pretty straight up, so I'm told. The promos are feature some intense images.
Old 06-03-16, 12:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I hear the pilot does a good job bringing some scares. I think only a couple eps were released for critic preview so will see if they can sustain it.
Old 06-04-16, 02:49 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm giving this a go purely because of the excellence that was Strike Back and Banshee on Cinemax

that's brand loyalty for ya
Old 06-04-16, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
Why did the mother only call the authorities after they "exercised" the demon? Seems like the first call she would have made was the police/ambulance when she found her son eating his own finger.

It also doesn't make sense that the lead character (I don't remember his name) took the fall for his possessed wife attacking their daughter. If she was possessed once how does he know she couldn't be possessed again? And now he isn't around to protect the girl.

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'd say its definitely not horror. Judging from the pilot, a show like the X-Files had more horror elements than Outcast does.
Old 06-04-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
[SPOILER]

I'd say its definitely not horror. Judging from the pilot, a show like the X-Files had more horror elements than Outcast does.
For a minute there, I forgot we were on the internet.
Old 06-06-16, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Spoiler:
Why did the mother only call the authorities after they "exercised" the demon? Seems like the first call she would have made was the police/ambulance when she found her son eating his own finger.

It also doesn't make sense that the lead character (I don't remember his name) took the fall for his possessed wife attacking their daughter. If she was possessed once how does he know she couldn't be possessed again? And now he isn't around to protect the girl.
I think she only did that as he just got done getting beat up and having problems breathing. Sounds like the town is at least aware of possessions happening which is why I think she called the reverend in the first place as she mentions the other kid when she calls him for help. Although myself would have been at the ER calling a psychologist from the waiting room if my child was chewing his finger.
Old 06-06-16, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I do not get Cinemax, but enjoyed the pilot that HBO had up this past weekend. I would actually consider picking this up on blu or streaming/purchasing via Vudu/Amazon/iTunes.
Old 06-24-16, 07:09 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I've been letting this build up on my DVR. Anyone still watching and enjoying this?
Old 06-24-16, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The third episode guest-starred the always reliable Lee Turgeson as this week's "possessed". "Outcast" is apparently "slow-building" a larger storyline and I think it might be better enjoyed watching after the season is complete*. I have an option to read the second graphic novel over a free digital service called Hoopla provided by my county library; I kind of want to read ahead and see where this thing might be going, the larger scheme. As a Comics series it has to have a little more going on than "the possession of the week".

*Most premium cable series are better when binge-watched. I only watch "Game of Thrones" day-and-date because I got tired of seeing the 101 (pretty much unavoidable) spoilers on Monday morning.
Old 06-25-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

I finally watched the 1st episode last night.

Not bad. It does have a creepy vibe. I when the possessed kid started chewing up his hand.

When Kyle and the Reverend confronted the kid near the end, that was a pretty freaky scene. It was very well done.

The flashback scene with Kyle and his wife attacking their daughter was odd. I didn't get the impression that he took the fall for attacking his kid.

I would say it's a little horror with mostly supernatural elements.

Not surprised there isn't a big following for this show (even though Kirkman is a writer/producer on it) since it's on Cinemax and most here don't have it and probably don't want to subscribe to it for just 1 scripted show this summer.
Old 07-01-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I finally watched the pilot myself, really enjoyed it and will keep watching.

Was cool to see that Adam Wingard directed it. Hopefully he kept Atticus Ross' number.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-04-16, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just marathoned the first 4 episodes, so I'm up to date.

The pilot was awesome of course. One of the best pilots I've watched in the past 5 years. It's interesting, open a few questions, and it's able to to even answer a few of them by the end of the episode. Just really great writing.

Things slow down after that. The next 3 episodios have been more introspective, but I really like that they don't do an exorcism every episode, that's too procedural.

I love the Reverend, really great character. The other ones, some are growing on me, some still need to work more.

I guess I agree that this show is better binge watched.
Old 07-04-16, 03:29 AM

lame they didnt have a new ep this week, doesnt seem like any other shows took the weekend off
Old 07-04-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phantom_azazel
lame they didnt have a new ep this week, doesnt seem like any other shows took the weekend off
I'm guessing it was a 4th of July thing. Ep 5 was aired in other countries at it's regular local time. Of course that means it's all over the torrent sites. Seems like an odd move and I'm wondering if that means we'll be a week behind for the rest of the season.
Old 07-04-16, 08:22 PM

Yeah, it aired in other countries so it might be one step ahead for the reminder of the season. The Director of the upcoming episode directed the movie "Compliance" and "Z for Zachariah."

This show could be a good hit for Cinemax if they play their cards right. So far, this has been excellent. I'm looking forward to this show every week.
Old 07-04-16, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm guessing it was a 4th of July thing. Ep 5 was aired in other countries at it's regular local time. Of course that means it's all over the torrent sites. Seems like an odd move and I'm wondering if that means we'll be a week behind for the rest of the season.
sounds like ep5 will be it for awhile, they are going to air it on the 8th and then take a 'mid-season break'
Old 07-04-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by phantom_azazel
sounds like ep5 will be it for awhile, they are going to air it on the 8th and then take a 'mid-season break'
No midseason break.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showat...cast/listings/

They are airing episodes 5-10 straight through until August 12th.
Old 07-14-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Watched ep 1.

It's okay I suppose but the supernatural storylines in programs don't do anything for me.

Where does this take place. The accents especially the priest is bugging me for some reason.

Love the redhead though. Wrenn Schmidt
Old 07-15-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The accents are all over the place. Its like half the cast got the memo about doing poor caricatures of souther accents and the other half didn't.
Old 08-04-16, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not that popular here it seems. Maybe the CINEMAX factor.

I was 3 episodes behind, but now I'm up to date.

Really great show, the writing is awesome. I like how they open plots/questions and they quickly answer them and open new ones. It's really satisfying to see that.

Hopefully the last two episodes can close the season in an even higher note.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.