Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

CBS MOD tv-movie DVD-R releases

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBS MOD tv-movie DVD-R releases

Anyone else picked up any of the made-on-demand CBS tv-movie DVD-R's? They've released several in the last couple of years and I just picked up a few and am not impressed at all with the quality so far.

TRILOGY OF TERROR II - looks really bad, obviously a video master was used and that's OK, but the compression is just really poor with artifacts and fuzzy image throughout. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the old VHS as their master.

THE NIGHT THAT PANICKED AMERICA - not quite as awful looking, but their video master is also far from a 1" tape master transfer and is somewhat dark and drab as well, and dialog muffled.

LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED TO ROSEMARY'S BABY - Maybe a step up from PANICKED, but still poor video master, poor compression and dark.

MAKING OF A MALE MODEL - This one surprisingly looks great, go figure!

--------

They also released THE DEVIL'S DAUGHTER with Shelley Winters but I already have a pressed disc from Wild Eye from several years back so why even bother with this MOD one. I'd definitely upgrade if these "official" DVD-R's were better transfers from the original elements, but they actually look like bootlegs even though they aren't. And they're not cheap - from $20 to $25 each for a DVD-R with poor transfers and no extras.

I love the idea of some of these rare tv-movies getting officially released, but man, the quality of these releases really stink. These are nowhere near the standard quality of any Warner Archive release. And MOD is not the issue; it's just the mastering and compression are simply very poor.
Old 05-11-16, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: CBS MOD tv-movie DVD-R releases

Disgraceful cash grab.