Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Americans (S4E09) - "The Day After" - 5/11/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 06:50 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
The Americans (S4E09) - "The Day After" - 5/11/16

Episode 9 / Production #409 - "The Day After" (Airs May 11, 10:00 pm e/p) - The Day After premieres, making the stakes - and terrible consequences - of the Cold War plain. Even with that in mind, will Elizabeth be able to complete the painful process of the "Patty" operation? Written by Tracey Scott Wilson; directed by Daniel Sackheim.
Old 05-12-16, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Americans (S4E09) - "The Day After" - 5/11/16

I must have snoozed...how is Elizabeth going to use her ruse with Don?
Old 05-12-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
I must have snoozed...how is Elizabeth going to use her ruse with Don?
That was murky to me as well. She was apparently trying to break those ties with Young Hee. Was that because she couldn't find the access codes and had no more need of the friendship?

I liked the use of The Day After. I'm old enough to remember that broadcast, and tying it to their mission made sense and gave it more emotional impact.
Old 05-12-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Man, you guys missed it. She's going to blackmail Don, thinking he'd gotten drunk and slept with Elizabeth. And Elizabeth is sad because she really liked Young Hee, and she was the closest thing Elizabeth had to a friend.

I dunno if you guys listen to Slate's The Americans podcast, but they had FX president and GM John Landgraf on the show this weel, and he said that the series would "absolutely" be back for season 5, and "possibly" a season 6. Make of that what you will.
Old 05-12-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Yeah, blackmail. It was a great contrast given ruthless Elizabeth the last few episodes. Still don't know what he does.

Loved the 80s throwbacks to Lode Runner on the computer and The Day After. I'll never forget watching that, and all the build up and reaction to it. My mom let me watch it when I was 12 (bought the DVD when it first came out). Freaked me out.
Old 05-12-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

need a .gif of Paige wide eyed driving
Old 05-12-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts

I think it has something to do with getting William to Level 4. Philip told him they were still working on it.
Old 05-12-16, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Man, you guys missed it. She's going to blackmail Don, thinking he'd gotten drunk and slept with Elizabeth. And Elizabeth is sad because she really liked Young Hee, and she was the closest thing Elizabeth had to a friend.
Wow, as my daughter would say, it was kind of obvee. Now one for the alert out there, my wife figured out at 44 minutes what will happen next in the Pastor Tim story. Did you?
Old 05-12-16, 11:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Wow, as my daughter would say, it was kind of obvee. Now one for the alert out there, my wife figured out at 44 minutes what will happen next in the Pastor Tim story. Did you?
Spoiler:
The pilot they hired to take Pastor Tim and his wife on their trip crashes the plane, killing them?
Old 05-13-16, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by benh911
Spoiler:
The pilot they hired to take Pastor Tim and his wife on their trip crashes the plane, killing them?
Spoiler:

Oh yeah, that or they simply might have Pastor, wife and a couple of innocents get shot and killed by "terrorists" in Ethiopia.

The good news is we're finally going to be done with the Pastor subplot and Libby can move on to more productive spy work--Helping reduce the threat of nuclear war.
Old 05-13-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This episode was murky to me except for Keri Russell's ass.
Old 05-13-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
This episode was murky to me except for Keri Russell's ass.
Body double in all likelihood with her pregnancy.

Good episode. Saddest thing Elizabeth has ever done on the show (and she killed a nice old lady last year).
I like how both Jennings parents had scenes where they silently reflected on how much damage they've inflicted on someone who they consider one of their closest friends. Heady stuff.

I still remember The Day After. I watched it. The next day was great -- we spent at least two of our class periods talking about the movie and nuclear war and didn't do any school work that day. It was awesome. The movie itself wasn't that great but man it must have gotten huge ratings. There was a much better, much more low-key Day After-type movie in theaters that same year with Jane Alexander called Testament. It was really touching and emotionally devistating, but I haven't seen it in decades and I'm pretty sure it has completely faded from the public's consciousness long ago.
Old 05-13-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I looked up Day After movie since I was too young to watch. It got 100 million viewers. Still the highest rated TV movie ever.
Old 05-15-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
But what if Don were to head straight home and confess to his wife? Mission blown (so to speak).

Despite the Young Hee arc's ambiguity, I LOVED this episode. Probably my favorite of the series due to: Paige's wide-eyed driving test, "Major Tom", the glimpse of Lode Runner, and the awesome The Day After segment.

This is probably the first episode that really got right that very real tension and fear we felt about a potential nuclear war. Living on Air Force bases until I was 19, and throughout the '80s, I'd often lay in bed at night wondering if the base's planes would be scrambled for attack, and if our base was remote enough to avoid the nuclear fallout.
Old 05-15-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

'The Day After' was an event like the Superbowl. My parents wouldn't let me watch it that night because of the images they saw in the previews. I remember me and one other girl in my homeroom weren't allowed to watch it as we were mad that everyone was talking about it that day in school.