Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Omerta -- Based on Mario Puzo Novel -- Starring Sylvester Stallone in development

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Omerta -- Based on Mario Puzo Novel -- Starring Sylvester Stallone in development

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/04/sylveste...ua-1201745852/

Sylvester Stallone & Antoine Fuqua Plot TV Series ‘Omerta,’ ‘The Godfather’ Author Mario Puzo’s Last Novel

EXCLUSIVE: In a blockbuster TV package that will come to networks shortly looking for a series commitment, The Weinstein Company is behind an adaptation of Omerta with Sylvester Stallone to play the lead role of mob boss Raymonde Aprile, the last great American Don and his anointed successor. The Magnificent Seven‘s Antoine Fuqua is directing. This is based on the final novel by The Godfather author Mario Puzo, and I wanted to get out in front of it because it’s coming together quickly. A pilot script and a bible are already in place by Justin Herber and Adam Hoff, and a writers room is quickly being assembled. A showrunner and a female lead actress will be in place shortly. The networks will soon have their shot at it, with the expectation one will bite for a full series commitment.

This is a disruptive move for Stallone after his Oscar-nominated turn reprising Rocky Balboa in the Ryan Coogler-directed Creed, but it also sounds like a strong next step for him by playing an outsize protagonist. It certainly worked out well for film actors, as when Alec Baldwin moved to television in 30 Rock and gave his career a whole new dimension.

Fuqua and Stallone will be exec producers along with Harvey and Bob Weinstein and David Glasser. TWC’s Megan Spanjian has been putting it all together. Harvey Weinstein bought Puzo’s final novel a decade ago to turn it into a movie. It languished when script after script couldn’t compress the storyline down to a feature. Turns out it was better suited for an event TV series. More to come on this one.

Stallone’s repped by WME and Fuqua by CAA. Herber and Hoff, who also executive produce, are repped by CAA, manager Thomas Carter and attorney Lev Ginsburg.

Interesting that Stallone is committing to a potential TV series. But given his age (pushing 70) it might be a good move.

Since The Weinstein's are producing this, I think this may end up at Netflix.
Old 04-28-16, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Omerta -- Based on Mario Puzo Novel -- Starring Sylvester Stallone in development

Reminds me of this situation that Stallone mentioned in 2006. This seems much more promising than the notion mentioned below:

The GODFATHER III situation unfolded when the head of Paramount presented me with a poster already printed that had my picture and beneath it ‘GODFATHER III, written, acted and directed by Sylvester Stallone.’ Needless to say, if I weren’t wearing a hat, my skull would’ve split in two. Red-faced, I said to the headman ‘This is the worst idea since my conception.’ Francis created duel masterpieces and it was egregious insensitivity to pull it away from him for monetary reasons. Therefore I took this idea to the sea of mediocrity and plunged it to the bottom.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45964