Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

NX will be released worldwide in March 2017. The word is it will not be shown at E3. NX is still only its codename.

The only playable Wii U game at E3 will be Legend of Zelda, which has been delayed yet again, this time to 2017. Nintendo confirmed on Twitter that it will be an NX release as well as hitting the Wii U. They haven't specified if it's a launch title or not. They cited quality concerns as the reason for the delay.

The next smartphone apps have been announced as Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. Nintendo says that these are games rather than what we saw with Miitomo. This isn't necessarily dire news , although these aren't the sort of titles a bunch of folks were hoping for (even if they do both make a lot of sense to me). These will be out in the Fall, so that's a pretty expansive gap of nothing for Nintendo on mobile.

Sales of 3DS hardware/software missed Nintendo's initial target but hit their revised targets. The Wii U failed to meet the lowered, revised targets. Nintendo is estimating just 800,000 sales of Wii U consoles worldwide between now and March 2017. The expectations of such poor sales presumably mean few, if any, compelling games for it on the horizon. I wonder if Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Paper Mario, and that Mario/Sonic Olympics game are it for 2016? Oh well. At least there's Planet Robobot for the 3DS, which I am absolutely excited about.

Their net income dropped a hair over 60% (!) year over year, although they are still in the black.
Old 04-27-16, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year

If the NX is going to be out in March of next year, i'm a little surprised they won't have some showing at E3 for it to build a little hype.
Old 04-27-16, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year

I just recently started collecting for the Wii U, figured it won't have that large of a library to collect for when all is said and done.
Old 04-27-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Is that all confirmed info? If so, I was dead on with Zelda ending up on NX, just like TP on Wii.
Old 04-27-16, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Noonan
Is that all confirmed info?
Yes. Nintendo's big Q4/FY2016 announcements were this morning (well, today in Tokyo; early AM this morning for us). All this news came out of Nintendo telling investors what to expect for this upcoming financial year.

If so, I was dead on with Zelda ending up on NX, just like TP on Wii.
Everyone was dead on about that.
Old 04-27-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

What's the point of having E3 anymore in this day and age?
Old 04-27-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
To announce games and get good press. Not sure what he point of Nintendo attending E3 anymore is if they're going to keep ev erything hidden, though.
Old 04-27-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah, nintendo uses their own "nintendo direct" streams to announce most stuff now.
Old 04-27-16, 10:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Nintendo is about to go the way of Sega.
Old 04-27-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I've been dreaming of that for years! Give me a Nintendo developed Zelda on PS4.5 please.
Old 04-27-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I've been dreaming of that for years! Give me a Nintendo developed Zelda on PS4.5 please.
Why? It would still look like it belonged on a Gamecube.
Old 04-27-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Groucho
I like Nintendo games, so I sure hope not.
Old 04-27-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If the NX is going to be out in March of next year, i'm a little surprised they won't have some showing at E3 for it to build a little hype.
That would be a wise decision. Nintendo hasn't made a lot of those since the launch of the original Wii.
Old 04-27-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
The only benefit is that it assures all gaming press are at one location for any big news... but other then that, with everything online and streamed and companies hosting their own events, it's really not as relevant anymore as it was a decade ago.
Old 04-27-16, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Why? It would still look like it belonged on a Gamecube.
But I wouldn't have to wave my hands around like a fool to play it.
Old 04-27-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That would be a wise decision. Nintendo hasn't made a lot of those since the launch of the original Wii.
The Wii was a wise decision? I'll admit, it sold a shit load of consoles, but the motion controls sucked and most of the games were garbage. If anything, I would say the Wii is what killed their faith with the gaming community.
Old 04-27-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
The Wii was a wise decision? I'll admit, it sold a shit load of consoles, but the motion controls sucked and most of the games were garbage. If anything, I would say the Wii is what killed their faith with the gaming community.
The Wii was one of, if not the most, successful consoles of all time. It made Nintendo all sorts of money. It was an out there decision that hit the jackpot.
Old 04-27-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I get that. But it also changed how most gamers feel about Nintendo. Anything they do from here on out is going to be met with skepticism. It also doesn't help that they seem to be stuck in the past with functionality and technology. So their success with one product line might have them going the way of Sega sooner rather than later. They can't ride on the success of the Wii forever.
Old 04-27-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I like Nintendo games, so I sure hope not.
How do you feel about Nintendo systems?
Old 04-27-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by cleaver
How do you feel about Nintendo systems?
Mixed, but I think having their own platform to support has significant upsides that'd vanish if Nintendo were to go third-party. Nintendo's been rather conservative as of late, but if they were third-party, it'd basically be all Mario/Smash/Kart/Party/Zelda, all the time. I bet you'd see fewer off-the-wall experiments or "what, what?!" releases like their funding of Bayonetta 2.
Old 04-27-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Yeah, I get that. But it also changed how most gamers feel about Nintendo. Anything they do from here on out is going to be met with skepticism. It also doesn't help that they seem to be stuck in the past with functionality and technology. So their success with one product line might have them going the way of Sega sooner rather than later. They can't ride on the success of the Wii forever.
How long can they ride the success of the 3ds? I think the people who are seriously comparing them to Sega don't have any idea about the relative financial health of both companies. Sega had a few back to back flops and they were losing money left and right. Nintendo is still making money and they have tons of money in the bank. It would take a few more WiiU level flops (and the next handheld to be a giant flop) for Nintendo to get out of the hardware business. I'm no great fan of the WiiU's controller, but I can completely see what Nintendo was thinking when they made it. Personally, I think gamers are much better off when you have a major player pushing the boundaries of traditional hardware design.
Old 04-27-16, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I really do hope Nintendo ends their console days (maybe keep making handhelds), and starts making games for the other consoles.

Oh, and...

Last edited by slop101; 04-27-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-28-16, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This...

Originally Posted by orangecrush
The Wii was one of, if not the most, successful consoles of all time. It made Nintendo all sorts of money. It was an out there decision that hit the jackpot.
You can hate the Wii all you want but it sold a metric ton of consoles and allowed Nintendo to fill a Scrooge McDuck money bin.

Where they went wrong was not getting an HD system into development shortly after launch and the system they bring to the table is barely comparable to then 7 year old consoles (360 & PS3) when next gen was right around the corner. The WiiU was outdated 12 months after launch.

The boasting about NX being more powerful than PS4 makes me laugh as well. By the time NX launches the PS4 will be 3.5 years old... the NX should be more powerful.
Old 04-28-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Does anyone think Nintendo releasing their next system in March 2017 is because they didn't want to go head to head with the new, upgraded consoles by Sony and Microsoft in the fall?
Old 04-28-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I'm sure having the post-holiday period to themselves (at least as far as product launches go) doesn't hurt.

...but the 3DS stumbled out of the gate because of price and a lack of compelling software, and a meager release slate was among the 187,000,000 reasons the Wii U was practically D.O.A. I can buy Nintendo's excuse that a few-months-later-than-expected launch is to make sure it launches with the right software. I'm sure it's not the only reason, but I bet it's a big (if not THE big) one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.