Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Banshee (S4E04) -- "Innocent Might Be a Bit of a Stretch" -- 4/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Banshee (S4E04) -- "Innocent Might Be a Bit of a Stretch" -- 4/22/16

Carrie (Ivana Milicevic) strikes again; Bunker (Tom Pelphrey) treads on thin ice; another grisly murder rocks Banshee.

Written by Chad Feehan; directed by Everardo Gout.

Episode 4 of 8
Old 04-22-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Banshee (S4E04) -- "Innocent Might Be a Bit of a Stretch" -- 4/22/16

The halfway point already? Man, this is flying by.
Old 04-23-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just caught up with the first four episodes, and man, the show has such a different feel with the new shooting locations. It's still Banshee, though. And I still love the Job character, even post-catatonic.

Great to see Dushku, still looking hot though heavily made up.

The cult ritual killing was some twisted shit.
Old 04-23-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the consensus so far?

I haven't been able to start this season yet.

Does it look like they are going to stick the landing or go out with a whimper?
Old 04-23-16, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry, but this season isn't working for me so far. Except Eliza Dusku

This was always a show that wouldn't have longetivity because of its premise.

The first 2 Seasons are great, the 3rd season it started to lose focus, and now it's limping to the end.

What made the early Seasons great was they were all living a lie and you could see the effects of them living a dual-life.

Now the cats out of the bag and they are all just going through the motions and it really isn't that interesting.

But with 4 Episodes left, I'll stick with it to see how it's ends. But I watch the show now and really don't care about the characters anymore.
Old 04-23-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The show has definitely changed, and it lost some of its heart with Siobhan, but I'm still interested in the characters and what happens.

The neo-Nazis work better for me than the hillbillies.
Old 04-23-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it but this season just isn't working for me. Has any show ever worked when they do a major shift forward in time? It seems like that always happens when the writers hit a brick wall.
Old 04-23-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is definitely their weakest season. The central story of a serial killer just seems like a reach. Still, I fully expect them to wrap it up by episode 6 with the final two episodes being nothing but random sex scenes and numerous fights to the death.

Also, Eliza is officially the hottest crack addict on TV.
Old 04-23-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it but this season just isn't working for me. Has any show ever worked when they do a major shift forward in time? It seems like that always happens when the writers hit a brick wall.
Desperate Housewives was flondering when they did a five-years-forward shift, and that became one of their best seasons in a while. But then it sucked again.
Old 04-23-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it isnt the same banshee, with the only nudity from underage rape pron and serial killer nonsense. it is R rated criminal minds. blech at the awkward boners it hypothetically might give someone.

i didnt even recognize dushku, although she has the same acting mannerisms as always. the way she stands and holds herself, how she delivers lines. it is like Faith, the crack years.

it feels like it has all the parts of banshee, flamethrowers and fights, but isn't quite right. carrie would be smarter than to get caught in an explosion by gazing wistfully at her handiwork, and the green screen of her running toward the camera was cheesy. although hot FBI agents in tight pants and high heels is moving in the right surreal direction.

overall i am feeling like 4 episodes of the last season were wasted. i hope the next 4 make up for it.
Old 04-24-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe the dullest episode ever of Banshee. Might be a good thing it is ending.
Old 04-24-16, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
it isnt the same banshee, with the only nudity from underage rape pron and serial killer nonsense. it is R rated criminal minds. blech at the awkward boners it hypothetically might give someone.

i didnt even recognize dushku, although she has the same acting mannerisms as always. the way she stands and holds herself, how she delivers lines. it is like Faith, the crack years.
I just read an interview with Dushku where she mentioned that she had taken a year off to attend Suffolk University and wasn't eating properly. She was working with the fitness crew on the show to build up her ass since she was going to have to show it.
Old 04-24-16, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Veronica Dawson, crack-smoking FBI agent.

Anyone catch the behind the scenes interview after the episode? They interviewed Eliza and she looked so much better in the interview than she did in the episode. Jonathan Tropper, the co-creator, said that when he created the character he envisioned someone like Eliza playing her and then saw the casting sheet with her name and then said we had to get her.

Arresting Hood ended up being a fucking waste of time. But, at least we know how the pregnancy happened...

So this season ends up having two main foes.....Ritualistic killers and Neo-Nazis. Fred Weller from In Plain Sight looked really freaky with the lumps on his head.

I did enjoy Carrie going on her little rampage against the Neo-Nazis and destroying the Warehouse.
Old 04-24-16, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, just about the only thing I've liked this season has been Carrie's turn as Banshee's "Punisher".

Although, a whole day went by after she did that, and they showed no fall out for what she did. As if Proctor and the Nazis wouldn't get wind of it within an hour of it happening.
Old 04-25-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

"For the record, I also knew your husband story was bullshit."
Old 04-25-16, 03:00 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This show has somewhat lost it's mojo.

I think it's pretty apparent there is much more to the story of why the show ended than just the creators wanted to end it.

Hopefully the finale delivers.
Old 04-25-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This show has somewhat lost it's mojo.

I think it's pretty apparent there is much more to the story of why the show ended than just the creators wanted to end it.

Hopefully the finale delivers.
Yeah, the time jump makes it feel like they compressed two seasons down to one, or something. Like season four would be about Hood, Carrie, and Sugar hunting for Job, with Proctor rising to power in Banshee while Hood was away, and then season five would have the gang return to Banshee and have a final showdown with Proctor.

So instead they're either jumping right into season five's story arc and telling four in flashbacks, or the serial killer storyline is a substitue ending they came up with on the fly to wrap everything up in eight episodes.

I did read some scuttlebutt about Antony Starr wanting out of the series so he could move back to New Zealand, and thus not getting a fifth season. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I have trouble believing that this is how the producers wanted to end the series.
Old 04-25-16, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love how Mayor Proctor is milling around outdoors with the neo-Nazis, in front of their drug facility, his shiny Merc parked right in the the driveway.

Then there's an immediate flashback where he is explaining to Rebecca that he is working with the neo-Nazis because they can insulate him from unsavory businesses.

The show's still watchable, but with all the flashbacks and completely different look and pacing, it's just a shadow if its old self.