Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mythbusters being rebooted on Science Channel

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Mythbusters being rebooted on Science Channel

Oh, it gets worse. There will be a reality show to find the 2 new hosts. This sounds so terrible. I think to fuck with the people at the station, Tori, Grant and Kari should all apply.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...seeking-879292

The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively that the Discovery-owned cable network has greenlighted a reality competition series titled Search for the Next MythBusters, which comes on the heels of the series finale for the original show in early March. MythBusters, which ran for 14 seasons, featured Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman using science to put various myths and rumors to the test.

Search will focus on finding an "all-new generation of myth-busting science superstars with mind-blowing build skills and nerves of steel." It will involve both social media and stunts as it tests a cast of hopefuls on their skills as they compete in various challenges.

"When I got to the network, and we clearly identified MythBusters as a franchise and something that was important to Science Channel and Discovery, and it was such a beloved show, I didn't want to let it go," says Marc Etkind, who became general manager of Science Channel in September after serving in the same role at sibling network Destination America. "So we looked really closely at what would be the best way to keep it going and invigorate it and thought, 'Let's host a worldwide search for the next MythBusters.'"

To that end, Science Channel is inviting viewers to submit videos. Ideal candidates are "people who have building skills and are naturally inquisitive," Etkind says. "People who don't mind getting embarrassed a little bit, who ask lots of questions and have the skills and knowledge to put those to the test." (Science Channel's website has further details.)

The competition will start with 15 participants who look to solve challenges that include classic myths from the show as well as new myths. Hopefuls will be eliminated on each episode by a panel of judges — consisting of those who have been involved with MythBusters at some point over the years — until the final picks are made. Etkind says it could be one person or several people, depending on what happens.

Asked if the next incarnation of MythBusters will have the same format or be something entirely new, Etkind says that remains to be seen. "We'll see who emerges victorious and from those folks determine what the best format is," he explains. "It's a long-running goal for Science Channel to have MythBusters on the air."

Also, as part of its upfronts announcements, the network has greenlighted a new series dubbed How to Build … Everything and renewed Through the Wormhole With Morgan Freeman.

How to Build … Everything, which is "structured in the spirit of a home-installation guide," aims to show the step-by-step building process behind some of the world's most complex apparatuses — such as Apache helicopters, hovercrafts, cruise ships and satellites — in a way that anyone can understand.

"It approaches the building of everything from cruise ships to helicopters in a basic, fun way," Etkind says. "You may not be able to go out and build a pipe organ, but you can understand how it's built in a modular fashion and understand how it works."

The network also is reviving Punkin Chunkin, which focuses on the annual gathering of unconventional engineers and builders who use air cannons, centrifuges, catapults and even trebuchets to see whose homemade contraptions can propel a pumpkin the farthest. The special last aired in 2013.

"It's a celebration of everyday science. The people who make these machines are backyard engineers," says Etkind. "This is really tapping into the everyday movement of backyard engineers, and that's something we want to celebrate. Science isn't just done by people in lab coats."

Also new to the network is the tentatively titled special Mission Jupiter, covering NASA's New Frontiers Mission, which is en route to the planet.

Wormhole, meanwhile, is set to return for a seventh season. The Emmy-nominated series, hosted by Freeman, explores scientific mysteries and unanswered questions, with upcoming topics on whether we can live without privacy, whether aging can be cured and whether humans can all become geniuses.

"This is probably our most important series," Etkind says. "It's about those large, mind-blowing questions about the meaning of life, and this year we have a slate of new questions that only Morgan and his team can answer. I like the ambition of this series and that it's not afraid to tackle the biggest questions."

Other returning series include Survivorman, How Do They Do It?, How It's Made, What on Earth?, How the Universe Works and Outrageous Acts of Science.

Science Channel — which recently posted its highest-rated quarter among key adult demos of adults 25-54 and 18-49 and its most watched year in primetime — will continue featuring live coverage of breaking news events in the science arena, including NASA space launches, in addition to covering news in its new nightly program Science Presents DNews, which gives updates on space, technology and engineering.

"DNews was important to me and made our channel feel contemporary and current and in the zeitgeist," Etkind says. As a brand overall, "we're tapping into what is just a general interest in science. And when you look at our ratings success, we're really becoming a broad appeal network. Science is for everybody."
Old 03-31-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Mythbusters being rebooted on Science Channel

Jesus
Old 03-31-16, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing about that article is Beyond the Wormhole returning for more episodes.

I have no interest in a Mythbusters reboot. Adam, Jamie, Tori, Kari and Grant are what made that show special. And they were running out of material seasons ago. So this is totally an unnecessary move.
Old 03-31-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that this reboot is a good idea, but I feel like Ben Heckendorn would be ideal for this.
Old 03-31-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Lame. Obviously a big part of the show was the cast and while a show like this can move on without the cast I have no interest.
Old 03-31-16, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

How are they going to "reboot" science?
Old 03-31-16, 03:09 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jesus, what's with all the Debbie Downers here? I for one think it's exact opposite. I think this is great. Mythbusters was driven to the ground when Adam and Jamie started doing movie "myths" and big and badder explosions. There are a plenty of things to test that have real basis in science especially in today's information age where everybody with a cell phone can post misinformation. I'm talking about a horizon of bad information from applying windex on wound to political science, finance advise, healthy food intake guideline (i.e. 8 glasses of water everyday), global warming is reversible, or whether receiving a gulp of water directly from someone's else is refreshing, there are so much more if they can seriously expand the horizon.
Old 03-31-16, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
or whether receiving a gulp of water directly from someone's else is refreshing
It's been years and I still openly cringe every time it comes up. Disgusting.

And while expanding the horizon of the new Mythbusters is a good idea, there is 0% chance they do it. It'll be more movie myths and explosions.
Old 03-31-16, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
How are they going to "reboot" science?
I dunno man, Einstein gave it a good reboot/expansion pack in 1906.
Old 03-31-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mythbusters was driven to the ground when Adam and Jamie started doing movie "myths" and big and badder explosions.
And you really think Adam and Jamie were behind that direction the show was taking and not the network?

You know, that happened around the same time they tackled "myths" based on other shows the network was airing.
Old 03-31-16, 07:00 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

they should have just bumped the build team up to the "hosts" and hired a new younger build team. Mythbusters: The Next Generation. Would've been cool.
Old 03-31-16, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow, too soon. Let it be gone a few years so we can miss it and then reboot it.

Mythbusters was driven to the ground when Adam and Jamie started doing movie "myths" and big and badder explosions.
Like testing the Goldfinger paint? Flying through a plate glass window, Hollywood style? Various Jaws myths? Jumping from an aircraft with an inflatable raft like Indiana Jones? Exploding Port-a-potty? Raccoon Rocket? To name a few.

Those were all in the first three seasons. Movie myths and explosions have been there since the first season.
Old 12-30-16, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

Coming Jan 7, 2017.
http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sho...-search-about/
MYTHBUSTERS: THE SEARCH is an all-new series featuring the next generation of fearless contenders with killer build skills, science smarts and nerves of steel, ready to be judged each week as they bust myths and vie for the win in becoming the next myth-busting superstars.

MythBusters premiered on Discovery Channel in 2003 and would go on to earn eight consecutive Emmy nominations for Outstanding Reality Program from 2009 to 2016. MythBusters fused scientific method with gleeful curiosity and plain old-fashioned ingenuity to create a signature style of explosive experimentation.

The series ended in March 2016 after 2,950 experiments, 910 explosions and 83 miles of duct tape. There is a love of busting myths and those with the unflappable curiosity to try it. MYTHBUSTERS: THE SEARCH aims to find these people.

Hosted by Kyle Hill - a MythBusters superfan -- MYTHBUSTERS: THE SEARCH marks the start of a new myth-busting era on Science Channel. As host, Hill introduces the contestants and the myths they attempt to bust each week. Using never-before-seen spectacular stunts, some myth-busting challenges will focus on build skills, while others require science know-how; some will test ingenuity, while others will test resolve, all with the goal of busting new myths.
Old 12-30-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

While visiting our parents for the holidays this week, we ended up watching a ton of the Mythbusters marathon (it was good to have on in the background, okay for the kids, etc.). I saw dozens of commercials for this. I was a huge fan of the show throughout its run and it was fun to revisit a bunch of classic episodes.

And while I do like the idea of a competition that's more than bad karaoke and some of the contestants look like talented builders, I have to wonder what the outcome will be. Will the winners become the host of a new show? Because that'll probably go over as well as the careers of most winners of reality shows.
Old 12-30-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

"The Next Science Channel Star" like "The Next Food Network Star?"

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 01-02-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 01-01-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I hate these reality competition shows. Pass.
Old 01-03-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

Yeah, I'll pass on this. I have started watching Kari, Grant, and Tori's new show on Netflix. It's called The White Rabbit Project. I've watched the first two eps and they were okay, but it hasn't really wowed me yet. I'm willing to give it more of a chance, though, because I like Kari, Grant, and Tori.
Old 01-08-17, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, don't have Netflix. Hope reruns manage to find their way onto Discovery or something.
Old 01-09-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, I don't have Netflix either but would be interested in checking out Kari, Grant & Tori's show.

Mythbusters 2.0? Not even a passing interest in checking it out. They should have waited a few more years.
Old 01-09-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just basing this on the promos (and I saw a ton during the Mythbusters marathon), the contestants seem to be trying too hard. Comes across as phony. Oh right, it's "reality" TV.
Old 01-10-17, 08:11 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So an excuse for a Face off/ink master style competitive reality show

The problem is. it's unsure if they are judging technical/engineering ability or the ability to be a TV host, two vastly different skills.

Someone could be a gun engineer but totally unlikeable
Old 01-10-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
So an excuse for a Face off/ink master style competitive reality show

The problem is. it's unsure if they are judging technical/engineering ability or the ability to be a TV host, two vastly different skills.

Someone could be a gun engineer but totally unlikeable
The comp comes across as a bit disorganized. There was a group challenge and an individual activity, but the criteria (and the eventual decision about who stays and who goes) seems a bit random.
Old 01-15-17, 07:47 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

second episode was quite fun

Elimination criteria seems a bit arbituary and how the frack did that deadlock guy win !
Old 12-10-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thought this would be the best thread to post in, December 22 at midnight (didn't catch if that was PST or EST) the Mythbusters marathon begins (showing every episode). I especially like watching the first 2-3 seasons.
Old 12-22-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reminder: The marathon starts tonight.