Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Catch (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Mireille Enos, Peter Krause

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 06:54 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
The Catch (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Mireille Enos, Peter Krause

WHEN LA'S TOP PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR, ALICE VAUGHAN, IS CONNED OUT OF MILLIONS BY HER FIANC?, SHE GOES ON A PRIVATE MISSION FOR PAYBACK - AND WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO CATCH HER MAN, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF ABC'S "THE CATCH," THURSDAY, MARCH 24

"The Pilot" - Alice Vaughan is LA's top private investigator and the type of woman you don't want to mess with. Having built Anderson/Vaughan Investigations from the ground up with her best friend and business partner, Valerie Anderson, they investigate some of the most elaborate cases around the world, alongside their elite team of private investigators: Danny Yoon, a mischievous and irreverent PI who is not afraid to break the law when necessary to solve a case; and their newest member, Sophie Novak, who serves as their in-house counsel and brilliant hacker.

Alice is on the top of her game, but when her fiancé, Benjamin Jones, cons her out of millions and disappears, she suddenly becomes the victim and goes on a private mission for payback, stopping at nothing to catch her man. However, she is not the only one chasing Ben. FBI Agent Jules Dao has been following his criminal activity across Europe and now is closer than ever to capturing him and hopes to elicit Alice's help in taking him down. Meanwhile, the elusive Ben has slipped back into the dangerous and sexy world of international crime with his long-time partners, mastermind Margot Bishop and Reggie Lennox. With stakes this high, you can't make one misstep, but both Alice and Ben are playing with fire in this intoxicating game of cat and mouse, on the series premiere of "The Catch," THURSDAY, MARCH 24 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT) on the ABC Television Network.

"The Catch" stars Mireille Enos as Alice Vaughan, Peter Krause as Benjamin Jones, Alimi Ballard as Reginald Lennox, III, Jay Hayden as Danny Yoon, Jacky Ido as Agent Jules Dao, Rose Rollins as Valerie Anderson, Sonya Walger as Margot Bishop and Elvy Yost as Sophie Novak.

"The Pilot" teleplay by Jennifer Schuur, story by Kate Atkinson and Helen Gregory and directed by Julie Anne Robinson.

"The Catch" is executive produced by Shonda Rhimes, Betsy Beers, Allan Heinberg and Julie Anne Robinson. Allan Heinberg serves as showrunner.

Read more: Listings - CATCH, THE on ABC | TheFutonCritic.com http://thefutoncritic.com/listings/2...#ixzz43ow3PsJy
Old 03-24-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: The Catch (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Mireille Enos, Peter Krause

No interest in this, but couldn't help but comment on how much of a difference make up does with Enos. It's like night and day. She is really unattractive in "The Killing", but looks pretty cute in this.
Old 03-24-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Enos is the question mark here for me. I see her as kind of "low energy" and I just didn't find her compelling in "The Killing". It was interesting seeing her in "Sabotage", where she was playing a "wild" character and chewed scenery with abandon, -I just didn't find her all that convincing.
Old 03-24-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks all type of boring.
Old 03-24-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give this one a shot because I like Peter Krause. I agree, with DWilson on Enos in The Killing.
Old 03-24-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

The previews gave me the impression that this is a caper show like Leverage. So I'll give this a watch. I like Krause and I'm interested in seeing him portray a bad guy.

I've seen Enos dolled up before and she does look good.
Old 03-24-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You'll give this a watch because you watch everything
Old 03-24-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
You'll give this a watch because you watch everything
And why do you continue to give a shit about what I watch?

No, I don't watch everything. I don't see around and watch TV 24/7. I have to work and make a living just like you. Yes, I do watch more scripted TV than most here, but why does that continue to bother you?
Old 03-24-16, 11:42 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 03-24-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

No, I don't watch everything. I don't see around and watch TV 24/7. I have to work and make a living just like you. Yes, I do watch more scripted TV than most here, but why does that continue to bother you?
Some people are only happy when they are bitching and complaining about what other people do. There are several users like that here, unfortunately.

As to The Catch, I'm on the fence. The premise seems a bit convoluted to me, but I am a fan of Peter Krause and Sonya Walger. THe rest of the cast I could take or leave. I'll probably record it, and wait and see what the reviews yield before I decide to watch it or not.
Old 03-24-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jjcool
Some people are only happy when they are bitching and complaining about what other people do. There are several users like that here, unfortunately.
That's really nice of you to back up your buddy like that. You must be such a great guy. Can we be friends?

Originally Posted by DJariya

Oh please. Why do you think it's bothering me? I was simply pointing it out and making a joke about it. Everyone here has made jokes about it.

You immediately jumping on the defense and is classic insecurity. Just roll with the punches.
Old 03-24-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

No interest in this, but couldn't help but comment on how much of a difference make up does with Enos. It's like night and day. She is really unattractive in "The Killing", but looks pretty cute in this.
It's amazing what a great make-up and hair job can have on someone's looks. There is one actress on another show I watch that went from incredibly plain to very attractive when she switched shows. I practically didn't recognize her.
Old 03-25-16, 10:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not really a show I'm interested in, but I did get to watch the pilot episode for this last year and apparently the feedback to it was so bad that they pretty much retooled it completely.
Old 03-25-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

That's really nice of you to back up your buddy like that. You must be such a great guy. Can we be friends?
Sorry. I don't like dicks. But thanks for proving me right.
Old 03-25-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely recognized her from the previews. I think there is a helluva lot more going on than makeup. It looks like she had some work done.

Spoiler:

Old 03-25-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

She was not unattractive in that, she just wasn't all prettied up.
Originally Posted by Thrush
I barely recognized her from the previews. I think there is a helluva lot more going on than makeup. It looks like she had some work done.

Spoiler:

She does look different here, maybe some work but also a ton of makeup.
Can barely see her eyes behnd all the heavy mascara.

Anyway to the show I'm halfway through and I can't figure out who's apt she was flipping to find something.
Was it the "FBI" guy or her fiance'?
Old 03-26-16, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I liked this show, it was pretty fun. Not sure how they can keep it going long-term but I am in for the season.

I have never seen the lead actress in anything before, but my impression is the actress is probably older than the character she is supposed to be playing. She seemed a bit weathered and overly made up with the fake eyelashes.

Originally Posted by whotony
Anyway to the show I'm halfway through and I can't figure out who's apt she was flipping to find something.
Was it the "FBI" guy or her fiance'?
I thought it was her apartment that she shared with her fiancé. His partner told him he would remove all traces of DNA and him from the apartment and she was looking for anything.

I didn't understand why they would clean out his office and leave his car parked in his spot.
Old 03-27-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I have never seen the lead actress in anything before, but my impression is the actress is probably older than the character she is supposed to be playing. She seemed a bit weathered and overly made up with the fake eyelashes.

You never saw The Killing on AMC? She was the lead actress.

Now that I've seen the 1st episode, agree with your assessment about her. The HD picture really made her look old and overly made up even though Enos is only 40. You could still see the wrinkles and fake lashes. I thought the black actress who played her business partner was a lot more attractive.

Really liked Krause. He stood out the most. Very good at playing a smooth, yet conflicted con man. Very different role compared to Adam Braverman.

Only thing is, if he's supposedly Mr. X and one of the best con man, why the heck is he still in the same town as Alice after cleaning her out and cleaning out his offices & every trace of his past? I would be long gone and in a different state already. That's pretty stupid. And leaving his car made no sense.

Apparently, this was brand new pilot. Krause and Walger weren't in the original Pilot that was presented to ABC last year. I guess the original Pilot must have been terrible for such drastic changes.
Old 03-27-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I liked this show, it was pretty fun. Not sure how they can keep it going long-term but I am in for the season.

I thought it was her apartment that she shared with her fiancé. His partner told him he would remove all traces of DNA and him from the apartment and she was looking for anything.

I didn't understand why they would clean out his office and leave his car parked in his spot.
That makes sense.

Although what was her plan with his car that oddly was still there, i know she was going to look for dna
but just cracking the window seemed strange. She's a top level P.I. isn't she?
Wouldn't they know how to get into a car?
Old 04-10-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the first episode and it's not my cup of tea. It seemed to have all the drama and style of a con/caper show but just without the clever scheming that make con/capers interesting.
Old 04-10-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter Krause is wildly miscast in this. He doesn't suit the character at all.
Old 04-13-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The 60s fashion they've got Enos in is awful.
Old 04-14-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Has this been worth watching? Started the first episode when it aired but couldn't do it. I only see his Parenthood character when I see Krause now. Trying to look at him in this role just didn't work at all.
Old 04-16-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After watching the last episode, I decided to cancel my season pass. I am just not caring about either the cases of the week, or the main characters. I am finding their supposed "cat and mouse game" pretty dull. This might have been an ok limited series or movie, but I just can't see how they are going to sustain this plot of her seeking him but not catching him for an entire season, much less as an ongoing season. It is just going to get annoying.

A version of this plot was done much better in Steven Soderbergh's "Out of Sight", where you had a US marshal pursuing a bank robber who she also was falling in love with. That worked because it was a 2 hour movie with an eventual conclusion.

This show is all style, no substance.
Old 04-16-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Has this been worth watching?
Not really. The only possible reason is the good shows are about to "tap out" for the summer and it is time to lower our viewing standard to "summer setting." Even against those standards, debatable, see Jadzia's review.

Edit: Finally watched the 4/14 episode which should have been titled "Catch & Release." That was just stupid; I'm out.

Last edited by OldDude; 04-17-16 at 09:40 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.