Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Vizio's new P-Series with SmartCast

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

This sounds pretty neat to me.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11...ounced-pricing

Vizio is completely resetting expectations for how a TV should function in 2016. There are no built-in apps for Netflix, Hulu, and other services. You don't control it with a button-filled remote, and in fact, there's pretty much no user interface anywhere on the TV itself. See, the 2016 P-Series is built upon Google Cast, and every set — from the $999 50-inch base model on up to the top tier $3,799 75-incher — ships with a 6-inch Android tablet in the box. That's how you control this TV. You charge the remote wirelessly on a dock that also comes bundled.

Turn on that tablet you'll find a new app called Vizio SmartCast, which is what you'll use to change inputs and adjust the volume. It's how you'll access the menus that would normally be buried somewhere in a laggy, unintuitive interface on the TV. Here, it's all right in your hand. SmartCast is actually pretty sleek and intuitive, putting a big focus on discovery and highlighting exactly where you can watch whatever movie or show you're searching for. Tapping into a title gives you a synopsis, cast info, Tomatometer score, and other details. Services like Hulu, Crackle, Walmart's Vudu, and even Sling TV are integrated with SmartCast, but Vizio's still missing some key ones like Netflix and Amazon, so this isn't quite universal search.

But since this is Google Cast we're talking about, you can avoid Vizio's software completely if that's your preference. Open an app, hit the cast button, and it'll play on your 4K HDR TV. The guiding principle, according to the company, is to let customers take control of their content and viewing experience. From that perspective, I can't recall seeing anything quite like what Vizio's presenting here. Any Android or iOS device in your house can be another remote. If it works with a Chromecast, it'll shine on Vizio's latest TV.
I love the idea of this over typical Smart TV's with sluggish and rarely updated apps. Giving you a tablet that you can just cast from seems like a much better solution.

Longer, more in depth article with interviews and more details about functionality.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/22/11...st-app-feature
Old 03-22-16, 03:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Vizio's new P-Series with SmartCast

I'm excited for the new TV's that take this approach with the apps, but no way in hell will I ever buy a Vizio again. And I have 3. I should have learned after the first 2. But I have had to replace every TV of theirs. Thank goodness they were all under warranty.
Old 03-23-16, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So there's no remote, just a tablet that acts as the remote? What exactly is the difference here? Instead of "menus that would normally be buried somewhere in a laggy, unintuitive interface on the TV" these menus will be buried somehwere in a laggy unintuitive interface on the tablet? I guess I just dont really see a difference between a remote and a tablet that is essentially a remote.
Old 03-23-16, 05:58 PM
Banned by request

Basically their version of Chromecast.
Old 03-24-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheap shit + cheap shit = ????

Whaddya think?
Old 03-25-16, 08:04 AM
Banned by request

Vizishit is what I call my TV's now. At least they work for the moment.
Old 03-25-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 46 inch from 2006 and 32 from 2008 and a 55 4K from last year that are all still working great along with a sound bar and sub.
Old 03-25-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
So there's no remote, just a tablet that acts as the remote? What exactly is the difference here? Instead of "menus that would normally be buried somewhere in a laggy, unintuitive interface on the TV" these menus will be buried somehwere in a laggy unintuitive interface on the tablet? I guess I just dont really see a difference between a remote and a tablet that is essentially a remote.
I think they're mostly talking about the Smart TV interfaces of current TV's, which do suck from my experience. And to be fair, they've also said regular IR remotes would still work as far as normal control.

As for Vizio, I've been pretty happy with my TV from them that I bought 2 years ago and don't have any qualms buying from them again. I don't think they're shit at all
Old 03-25-16, 11:05 PM
Banned by request

It's just all personal experience. Would totally love to have had a good product right out of the box. But the TV's and their customer service at absolute nightmares. I ended up visiting their page on Facebook to try and get their attention after a lack of email follow ups, and yikes, the people's posts on there are every bit as bad as my experiences.
Old 03-28-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think they're mostly talking about the Smart TV interfaces of current TV's, which do suck from my experience. And to be fair, they've also said regular IR remotes would still work as far as normal control.

As for Vizio, I've been pretty happy with my TV from them that I bought 2 years ago and don't have any qualms buying from them again. I don't think they're shit at all
I guess I just don't see a tablet as a bonus replacement for a remote. It's still a remote. I do agree that some of the menus on TVs leave a lot to be desired, but I could also see their tablet app as being clunky.
As to the quality of Vizio, I don't personally own one, but a close personal friend owns two and I have spent a lot of time in front of them. They have been very good tvs, with no issues to speak of.