Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Gotham (S2E15) -- "Wrath of the Villains: Mad Grey Dawn" -- 3/21/16

"GOTHAM" - (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) CC-AD-HDTV 720p-Dolby Digital 5.1

PENGUIN MEETS HIS FATHER ON AN ALL-NEW "GOTHAM" MONDAY, MARCH 21, ON FOX

Paul Reubens ("Pee-Wee's Big Holiday") Guest-Stars

Gordon and Bullock investigate a trail of clues left in a museum robbery, which, unbeknownst to them, were left by Nygma in a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse. Meanwhile, Gordon's past comes back to haunt him when an anonymous person threatens to expose his hand in Galavan's murder. Also, Penguin's visit to some old friends leads him to meet his father, Elijah Van Dalh (guest star Paul Reubens), and Bruce practices his street smarts in the all-new "Wrath of the Villains: Mad Grey Dawn" episode of GOTHAM airing Monday, March 21 (8:00-9:01 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GTH-215) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Ben McKenzie as Detective James Gordon, Donal Logue as Harvey Bullock, Morena Baccarin as Leslie Thompkins, Michael Chiklis as Detective Nathaniel Barnes, Sean Pertwee as Alfred, Robin Lord Taylor as Oswald Cobblepot/The Penguin, Erin Richards as Barbara Kean, David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne, Camren Bicondova as Selina Kyle/the future Catwoman, Cory Michael Smith as Edward Nygma/the future Riddler, James Frain as Theo Galavan, Jessica Lucas as Tabitha Galavan, Chris Chalk as Lucius Fox, Nicholas D'Agosto as Harvey Dent, Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean

Guest Cast: Paul Reubens as Elijah Van Dahl, Clare Foley as Ivy Pepper, Ian Quinlan as Pinkney, Jerry Dixon as Curator (Mr. Thatch), Paul Pilcz as Sonny Gilzean, Melinda Clarke as Grace Van Dahl, Justin Mark as Charles Van Dahl, Kaley Ronayne as Sasha Van Dahl

Episode 15 of 22
Old 03-21-16, 08:24 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Gotham (S2E15) -- "Wrath of the Villains: Mad Grey Dawn" -- 3/21/16

Okay ep.

Penguin's new family
Spoiler:
has got to be the lynch pin that sends him back to his "old ways."
Old 03-22-16, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First episode of this season I've watched. The direction and acting on this show are truly piss-poor, with maybe the exception of Chicklis who's gotta be wondering "I was on The Shield, can't believe I'm actually working with this shit". Everything is so over-produced and overwrought including the terrible, intrusive score in every scene. Really I tuned in to see Reubens who I like as an actor but he was god-awful. I can only chalk that up to the incompetent director behind it all. Terrible stuff.
Old 03-22-16, 02:15 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

How long before Penguin murders his entire family?
Old 03-22-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I was jazzed to see the true beginnings of the Riddler. He's my favorite Batman villain and they've developed him very nicely on Gotham, if a bit darker than I would prefer.

Bruce's beating was brutal, they rarely show children getting beat like that on television. Selina causes so much trouble, it's amazing she doesn't run into more resistance on the streets of Gotham.

It would be great if Bruce is the one that frees Jim Gordon using his detective skills.
Old 03-22-16, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Awesome casting for Penguin's pop.
Old 03-22-16, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Agreed. Even if it's his second time around playing the part.

I like that they gave Bruce a reason to become the world's best detective and prove Gordon is innocent (of killing the cop). Just didn't think they would actually put Jim in prison in the process. Multiple beatings for Gordon to come.

The Riddler scenes were great. I so hated when they ruined the character for most people in Batman Forever.

Interesting comment about Chicklis earlier because IMO he has been the worst part of the show ever since he first arrived. He obviously can/has done better, but on this he just comes off as a corny cliché.
Old 03-22-16, 08:53 PM
Banned

Chicklis plays cops too much. He needs to do something else.

I agree, The Riddler scenes were great. As far as Gordon goes, I don't really care if he rots in Blackgate, he did murder someone in cold blood, whatever the reason. He wasn't depicted that way in the comics.
Old 03-22-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
First episode of this season I've watched. The direction and acting on this show are truly piss-poor, with maybe the exception of Chicklis who's gotta be wondering "I was on The Shield, can't believe I'm actually working with this shit". Everything is so over-produced and overwrought including the terrible, intrusive score in every scene. Really I tuned in to see Reubens who I like as an actor but he was god-awful. I can only chalk that up to the incompetent director behind it all. Terrible stuff.
Easily the best Super Hero show on TV IMO. Now Walking Dead? That is a POS, that is laughably bad. Just do what I did with Idots Walking and stop watching Gotham
Old 03-23-16, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Gotham is good, it's really, really good. They've nailed most of their takes on Batman's major villains. If anything, their handling of Bruce has been the show's weakest aspect. They better hope that kid becomes a better actor as he grows up.
Old 03-24-16, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
When Gotham is good, it's really, really good. They've nailed most of their takes on Batman's major villains. If anything, their handling of Bruce has been the show's weakest aspect. They better hope that kid becomes a better actor as he grows up.
Yes, but why is Jim Gordon such a scumbag?
Old 03-24-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It looks inevitable this Jim Gordon bears little resemblance to the comic book and prior movie versions. I pretty much thought it would work out like this on the show, he is the supposed primary protagonist in Gotham.
Old 03-24-16, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It looks inevitable this Jim Gordon bears little resemblance to the comic book and prior movie versions. I pretty much thought it would work out like this on the show, he is the supposed primary protagonist in Gotham.
What I found ironic is when Bruce says, "It's not right", that Gordon was sent to Blackgate, but it was... Sure he didn't murder that particular person, but he did murder Galavan.

This iteration of James Gordon belongs in prison.
Old 03-24-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm suspecting Galavan comes back to life via Hugo Strange, thus Jim Gordon didn't actually "murder" him.
Old 03-24-16, 05:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Seems like it would be easier for Riddler to frame somebody else for Kris Kringle's murderer rather than frame Gordon for an unrelated murder. What's he going to do when another cop (Harvey?) picks up the case? Frame him too?
Old 03-24-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Seems like it would be easier for Riddler to frame somebody else for Kris Kringle's murderer rather than frame Gordon for an unrelated murder. What's he going to do when another cop (Harvey?) picks up the case? Frame him too?
Yeah but Nygma wanted to destroy Gordon due to the paranoid belief that Gordon was playing him and belittling his intelligence/cleverness. It was personal.
Old 03-24-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seemed to me like the whole Gordon thing only went down because Nygma knew he had juicy info, knew his boss already distrusted him, and could pull it off given his squad room access. That perfect storm doesn't exist for other cops. They will probably just magically disappear like Kringle and her boyfriend did.
Old 03-25-16, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Yeah but Nygma wanted to destroy Gordon due to the paranoid belief that Gordon was playing him and belittling his intelligence/cleverness. It was personal.
Plus, he's nuts. Can't expect him to take the logical, rational route.
Old 03-28-16, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Not sure why Ed's all of a sudden become paranoid about Gordon. I always felt the two had a decent relationship before with Gordon respecting Ed's intelligence while putting up with his quirkiness.

It was Harvey who was more of a jackass to Ed in the past and I thought maybe Ed would go after him instead.

Question: Is Paul Reuben's character from the comics? I couldn't find anything on him outside of "Gotham".
Old 03-28-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gordon was looking into Kringle again. It's not that complicated.
Old 03-28-16, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not sure if you already know but casting Paul Reubens as Penguin's pop was already done in Batman Returns in 1989.