Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles Producer George Martin Dead At 90

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Ringo tweeted the following tonight:

God bless George Martin peace and love to Judy and his family love Ringo and Barbara George will be missed xxx

His death was confirmed Tuesday by a Universal Music Group spokesperson. Martin, who signed The Beatles to a record contract in 1962, won multiple Grammy awards, an Academy Award for the score to A Hard Day's Night, and was behind 23 No. 1 singles in the United States and 30 in the U.K. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999 and knighted in 1996, one year before Paul McCartney.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/611490...martin-dead-90
Old 03-09-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
Re: Beatles Producer George Martin Dead At 90

Now we'll never know how A Song of Ice and Fire ends.
Old 03-09-16, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

George Martin definitely was the "Fifth Beatle". He was the only one outside of the group who had input with the music. He made it to his 90s, so he had a full life.
Old 03-09-16, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

George
Old 03-09-16, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts

Old 03-09-16, 08:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Edit: because I woke up. Ironically to the song Love Me Do.

Last edited by E Unit; 03-09-16 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Crappy posting when nearly asleep
Old 03-09-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

I've heard many people disregard George Martin's contributions to The Beatles's success. All of them can go shit in a melon. STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER wouldn't exist without him picking up Lennon's scraps and arranging them into something brilliant. And that's just one example of too many to count.

RIP Sir George.
Old 03-09-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
George Martin definitely was the "Fifth Beatle". He was the only one outside of the group who had input with the music. He made it to his 90s, so he had a full life.

I completely agree. Brian Epstein is the other person frequently called the "Fifth Beatle" but his contribution was managing and promoting the band, he didn't contribute to the music itself. Give him credit for shepherding the phenomenon of Beatlemania which alone was an impression achievement. But lot of the Beatles' music sounds the way it does because of George Martin's contribution which in my mind earns him the honor of being called the Fifth Beatle.
Old 03-09-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Rest in peace sir. He turned good songs into masterpieces that will live long after we are all gone

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dqBwGXOr4UM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe-disabled width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wFPMrXpWX04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6W774VU8zW4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe-disabled width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MbwLqFXivWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe-disabled>
Old 03-09-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

pretty interesting docu on the Beatles songs. Martin was like a Lego Master Builder he could re-build those songs over and over. I don't even think the Beatles themselves could recreate those songs as faithful...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pbSDcan7WWE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-09-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 697 Posts

The Beatles as we know them would have never existed without Martin's essential input. He's the third-most important Beatle after Paul and John.

His work with Cilla Black is massively underrated.
Old 03-09-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He did this album too, that I love (I think I read he did it in part because his daughter was a fan of Ultravox).

Old 03-09-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RIP 5th Beatle.
Old 03-09-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

Not sure, but wasn't he behind all the America hits in the early 70s? Ventura Highway, Sister Golden Hair, etc.
Old 03-09-16, 02:36 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's George RR Martin. This is George RIP Martin.
Old 03-09-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 703 Likes on 433 Posts

Martin's piano work on "Lovely Rita" -- especially the solo, during which he gets down and funky! -- is one of my favorite recorded Beatle moments.
Old 03-09-16, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The man was a genius who was way ahead of his time, and was arguably as important to the band's sound as the Fab Four themselves were. I wouldn't exactly be original in calling him "the Fifth Beatle," but it's certainly fitting. He left a hell of a legacy that changed the musical landscape forever. He will be missed. I'm going to go spin Abbey Road.
Old 03-11-16, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I tried hard not to chuckle but did so anyway after realizing that Sir George, with his dry wit, would most likely heartily approve.

There have been many producers who have had huge impacts upon the artistic output & success of artists.

It's hard to think of anyone whose influence had a bigger impact upon music for a global audience, though.

Martin not only contributed a professionalism & musical education that his beloved "lads" lacked in the studio, he encouraged their creativity & experimentation. And his familiarity with orchestration led to a hybrid approach & merging of rock with pop to grow the genre beyond a "teen" audience to an adult audience (despite 007's comments about needing earmuffs to listen to the Beatles). Martin helped take the Beatles from "Love Me Do" to "Eleanor Rigby" and beyond. He literally changed the face of popular music forever. And, while he actually played on some beloved Beatles tracks, his influence seemed more to be bringing out the best in them rather than imposing his "stamp" upon the music the way some producers do (Burnett, Lanois, Lynne, Rubin).

It would be interesting to speculate about how the Beatles would have fared under different guidance (Martin served as a father figure to them as well as musical mentor). While the songwriting skills would have produced a number of hits & a body of work, would they be remembered as one of the best "sixties groups" like Dave Clark Five, etc.? Would they have been stuck in the Merseybeat sound, or would they have expanded boundaries that allowed for acceptance of Hendrix, Doors, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, and other 60's icons?

Looking at the post-Beatles solo output, was the Martin influence severely missed, or was it just the lack of collaboration?