Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone here have D-Box?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone here have D-Box?

Old 02-22-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Anyone here have D-Box?

With the gloom-and-doom reports that 3D hasn't sold as well as the higher-ups would've liked and some companies dropping support for it, I'm wondering about another enhancement that many might see as a gimmick- D-Box, which moves your seats according to codes included with some movies? I don't have it and have never seen it in action, and though it does sound rather gimmicky I would enjoy having it- that is at least IF I could afford it- when I looked into it, the cost looked to be about $10,000 which I certainly don't have right now. If not too many people do have it, that's probably a big reason why.

Funny thing though is that the code for D-Box shows up on EVERY Blu-Ray disc of a movie that uses it- you DON'T need to buy a "Special D-Box Edition" like you usually do for 3D. While I may not have the equipment for it for a long time, I'm glad it's at least included on discs for if and when I do get it. (And those who see it as a gimmick- like 3D and Atmos, not EVERY movie uses it- if you activate your D-Box system during, say a serious drama, it won't do anything as nobody had encoded anything for that movie.)
Old 02-22-16, 09:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Anyone here have D-Box?

Honestly, I wasn't aware blu releases still had that included. I thought DBox was even more niche than 3D. But I was always curious about it.
Old 02-23-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not experienced D-Box in a home theater. It seems pretty rare, probably due to cost. I would be more inclined to install tactile transducers in my home theater, less money and works with any movie that has LFE.

I like Dolby Atmos but I don't like 3D so there is also a lot of user preference involved. I think its good that there is innovation in home theater, someday we will achieve the holo-deck and be completely immersed, that will be cool
Old 02-23-16, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've never even tried it in a theater, and wasn't aware that there was a home theater version.
Old 02-23-16, 03:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It's about $6-8k. It's a module that fits underneath home theater chairs. I briefly looked into it until I saw the price.
Old 02-23-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I recall getting a demo at some high end AV shop a few years ago (may or may not have been D-Box). But it was the whole module-built-in-a-chair thing, and the sales guy put on a chase scene from one of the Bourne flicks and it was weirdly fun.

Every crash or collision felt like pretty intense. It was fun as a demo, but didn't seem like something I'd want to endure for an entire movie.
Old 02-23-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Yeah, I think the whole thing with the seats is about $10,000, with an attachment you can put under your existing seats running a little less. Still too much. If it hasn't been selling so hot, I hope they don't blame all of it on lack of consumer interest. (And it seems the motion code for the latest titles is online, not on the discs- which of course means it could be taken off-line if the company ever goes under, but it'll always be on the discs that have it.)
Old 02-27-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

It's garbage. I saw Dracula Untold in Salt Lake City and the movie theater I was in had D-Box, so we upgraded the tickets, but outside of it being a slightly larger seat, the D-Box was totally fucking garbage.
Old 02-28-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, it seems like something that would be really cool to experience once or twice but wouldn't stay exciting for long.