Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Any updates on the chapters Playstation 2 fiasco?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Any updates on the chapters Playstation 2 fiasco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-00, 06:46 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the original thread got locked, but for those of us who actually got in on the deal have you had your orders cancelled? Some people were suggesting it on the last thread. Mine is still processing, so i have my fingers crossed.
Old 09-20-00, 06:48 PM

Mine is still processing too.
Old 09-20-00, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One person in the International forum reports that their order is still processing while another says theirs was cancelled. Moving this to On Line Store forum where you may get more answers.
Old 09-20-00, 06:49 PM

Mine is "Awaiting Shipment". The official word is that they'll only ship orders of these to Canadian shipping addresses and that only Canada-based credit cards will be honored.

------------------
Le Coin du DVD

[This message has been edited by witchblade (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad for US people I guess.
Old 09-20-00, 07:08 PM

Mine also says "Awaiting Shipment."

------------------
-Jason
My DVDs
My Adult DVDs
Old 09-20-00, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Witchblade - do you know that for sure? Will they honor the price?
Old 09-20-00, 11:08 PM

You sure with NAFTA they can only limit it to Canada? They had a US shipment option which leads me to believe they'd have to...not too sure on the NAFTA stuff, been awhile since I read it. Also, as of this post, my order still says it's shipping. (May be like the others and they haven't got to me, who knows, but I'd rather pray that it'll ship than give up hope on it.) Not to mention the storm they could bring up...I doubt they'd want to get an Amazon.com reputation. it's bad for business.
, let's just hope it happens .

[This message has been edited by ragnarok3 (edited September 20, 2000).]
Old 09-20-00, 11:21 PM

where on the site is it listing the policy about not shipping to u.s. I would think if their system is letting the orders go through then it is obviously not a policy they plan on upholding.
Old 09-20-00, 11:44 PM

That's a very good point, if they were limiting shipment, it should've stopped it or given a notice that the product would not be shipped to the US.
Old 09-21-00, 01:50 AM

There's no way chapters is going to eat that big of a loss. They are already near bankruptcy as it is. I suspect that all orders at the incorrect price will be cancelled. Second of all, they hardly a company for honouring mispricings.
Old 09-21-00, 02:40 AM

my order for the playstation 2 is still active, chapters states it is awaiting shipment. this could be a long time, as i dont think the product is even released in north america.
Old 09-21-00, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I stated in another thread regarding this.....this is not a dvd misprice!!! This is the Playstation 2 which will retail for $299 and will be hard to find everywhere!!! I would be very surprised should they decide to honor this obvious misprice!!! No company is going to eat that much of a loss to satisfy a consumer!!!! Good luck but I would not count on this deal!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.a...46%40aol%2Ecom

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-21-00, 10:45 AM

>No company is going to eat that much of a >loss to satisfy a consumer!!!!

I don't think it's a matter of customer satisfaction...they screwed up and, as far as I know, are now required to honor the price since it was their mistake.
Old 09-21-00, 11:44 AM

superbed23,

quote:<HR>I don't think it's a matter of customer satisfaction...they screwed up and, as far as I know, are now required to honor the price since it was their mistake.<HR>

Really, now, if that were true, I and everyone else who've been following this forum for any length of time would be swimming in free and ridiculously cheap DVDs and various other goodies. Unless they've charged you (which they wouldn't for at least another month), they aren't required to honor squat.

From chapters.ca's legal page on their website:

quote:<HR>PRICE AND AVAILABILITY INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.

ALL PRICES QUOTED ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS.

COL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO LIMIT QUANTITIES.<HR>

I think sentences 1 & 3 pretty much covers their butts.
Old 09-21-00, 01:05 PM

Do you really think that's what this means? They can't change the price of something after you order it.

For example: You order a book for $15. It doesn't ship right away. They decide to jack the price up to $30 without telling you. You really think they can do this? I don't think so, pal.

These statements mean that they can change the advertised price without notice, they can't modify your order after it has been made. As far as limiting quantities, if you ordered 10 PS2's they can change your order.
Old 09-21-00, 01:23 PM

Do you really think that's what this means? They can't change the price of something after you order it.

For example: You order a book for $15. It doesn't ship right away. They decide to jack the price up to $30 without telling you. You really think they can do this? I don't think so, pal.

These statements mean that they can change the advertised price without notice, they can't modify your order after it has been made. As far as limiting quantities, if you ordered 10 PS2's they can change your order.
Old 09-21-00, 02:03 PM

Sheesh, it's not worth it... you're absolutely right, OK?

When they change the price, go ahead and sue (for mental anguish, maybe?).
Old 09-21-00, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Trots:
superbed23,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
ALL PRICES QUOTED ARE IN CANADIAN DOLLARS.

COL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO LIMIT QUANTITIES.

I think sentences 1 & 3 pretty much covers their butts.
<HR>

I don't know about you but according to me, I interpret those sentences as meaning that the price listed on the website can change anytime. And that they can stop selling products from their website at anytime. But it doesn't say anything about changing orders once they're gone through.
Old 09-21-00, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

I fully understand (and expect) them to cancel the order. They have the right. However, the thing that concerns me is the rumors where they will honor it for canadians using canadian based credit cards and not us yankees. There has to be some rule or something against that. It's sort of discrimination, if you ask me. If they do send to canadians and not americans, would there be any way to prove it other than saying you heard it somewhere?
Old 09-21-00, 02:57 PM

Just talked to a CS Rep.

All who ordered will be receiving an E-Mail sometime soon with how they will be handling this mess. He could not say what will be happening, however, my order is still "awaiting shipment".

My Invoice says "PlayStation 2 for $79.99" and when I commited to purchase (gave them my C.C number), I entered into an agreement with Chapters.ca. IMHO they will legally have to honor the price.
Old 09-21-00, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Curiosity:

My Invoice says "PlayStation 2 for $79.99" and when I commited to purchase (gave them my C.C number), I entered into an agreement with Chapters.ca. IMHO they will legally have to honor the price.
<HR>

Technically, it's not a "legal agreement" until they charge your credit card, which I assume they don't do until it ships. If they charged you $79.99 on your card at the instant you placed your order, then charged you more when it shipped, you would have a case, but I don't think you can do anything unless they actually charge your CC for the quoted price and then charged you more to get you to the "real" price later on.
Old 09-21-00, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what all this talk is about legal agreements, but being a consumer, I still believe that the customer is always right. As such, I fully expect chapters to honor their mispricing (yes, i know it's a misprice) and ship it out.
Old 09-21-00, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it make it a "legal agreement" if they've placed a temporary charge on my credit card? That's what I see when I check my online cc statement.
Old 09-21-00, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by superbed23:

<HR>

Have you talked to Amazon lately??? They can and they will change prices on an item after you have ordered it if it is a clear misprice as a result of some error in their system!!! This misprice is so obvious, I am amused at the number of people who actually are waiting to hear from them regarding their order!!! You are not going to get this system for $80.00!!! If you have not preordered one as of yet, be prepared to stand in line on October 26th and pay the $300!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/dvd_list.a...46%40aol%2Ecom

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.