Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

GI Joe question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
GI Joe question?

Anyone read GI Joe and can recommend which collection to get? I remember reading some issues as a kid and of course watching the show and playing with the toys, and would like to revisit it. Problem is there are so many collections I don't know where to start. A search on Amazon for "gi joe omnibus" yields "GI Joe: The Complete Collection vol 1", "GI Joe Omnibus vol 1", "GI Joe: Origins Omnibus vol 1", and "G.I. Joe: The IDW Collection, Vol. 1". The IDW collection says it contains the first issues of Origins, and I am sure there is some other overlap as well. Suffice it to say, I am lost and would really appreciate some help. You guys haven't steered me wrong with your other recommendations so I have every faith in you.
Old 02-19-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: GI Joe question?

Start with this and go forward. This is the original Marvel Series is the best. They are up to vol 8 now, which is half the Marvel Series:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Honestly stay away from everything IDW has done (it's all trash and IDW themselves have given up on their continuity) except for the Cobra series. It is amazing. Here is the complete collection:

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-JOE-Cobra-...bra+last+laugh

Larry Hama is currently doing a continuation of the Marvel series for IDW, but IMO he is not the writer he used to be, and it mostly sucks. But if you want to start here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Real-A...+american+hero

What I prefer as a continuation of the Marvel series is the Image/DDP series. It its better written that what Hama is currently doing and has a definitive ending. IDW has collected that as a disavowed series: (you may can even track down the original DDP trades for cheap)

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Disavo...oe+disavowed+1
Old 02-19-16, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

___________________________________________________________________________________
If you are looking for the GI Joe series/continuity of the 80's comic series (Issue 1-155, 1-28 Special Missions, 4 Yearbooks), those are referenced as "GI Joe: A Real American Hero" or "Classic". They are being reprinted in the "GI Joe: The Complete Collection" hardcovers. These are the hardcovers that look like army field manuals. IDW continued the continuity from 155-1/2 to the most current issue, 225. The hardcovers are "hopefully" still ongoing and are only on #8 and thru issue 76. I believe all issues are available in TPB.

IDW also rebooted their own continuity (4 gi joe series plus origins, cobra, snake eyes, special missions, and a few other titles.) and those are combined in the "GI Joe: IDW Collection" hardcovers. These are the hardcovers that are a grey/silver color with a character portrait on the cover. They are coming up to #6 in the hardcovers for this continuity.

The hardcovers are trying to combine the various issues into a chronological reading order, so that is why you will see in the A Real American Hero continuity include a Special Mission or Yearbook issue in with the regular GI Joe series issues; the IDW continuity will include an Origin, Cobra, Snake Eyes, etc. issue with its GI Joe series issues.

You may also see TPBs combine a third continuity published by Devil's Due Press which may encompass their reboot of GI Joe: A Real American Hero, America's Elite, Special Missions, Master & Apprentice, etc. titles.

I've always enjoyed the original Marvel series. Especially issues below 100. Stories really flowed well from issue 21 to around the 70's, but my nostalgia still really likes some of the early ones.

Many people really like the IDW continuity title "GI Joe: Cobra" as some of the best written material of the modern era. The IDW continuity tries to go for a harder edge in blood, language, etc.

Hope some of that helps. I don't read a lot of it, but I still collect it religiously.

If you're into digital reading, Comixology has a decent priced bundle of the entire Marvel & IDW run of the "A Real American Hero" continuity.

https://www.comixology.com/G-I-Joe/bundle/1199

That link will also show you the TPB covers to look for if you were going that route.

Last edited by dfmaverick2; 02-19-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-20-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to you both. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 02-23-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I had no desire to read GI Joe but these answers and am sort of intrigued now.
Old 02-23-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Even as a huge fan of the cartoon growing up and owning many of the toys, I had problems getting into the Joe comics as they were coming out. They were clearly more sophisticated than the cartoons but I had a hard time reconciling them with what I had seen on television. I would usually only pick up the issues that had Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow on the covers.
Old 02-23-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Even as a huge fan of the cartoon growing up and owning many of the toys, I had problems getting into the Joe comics as they were coming out. They were clearly more sophisticated than the cartoons but I had a hard time reconciling them with what I had seen on television. I would usually only pick up the issues that had Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow on the covers.
I am sort of hoping for something a little deeper than the show, to be honest. And I heartily concur with David's assessment, that the writeup by the two gentlemen above makes me want to get into these books even more.
Old 07-01-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Bumping because of Comixology sale; epic feedback/recommendations above.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-01-16 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 08:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Bumping because of Comixology sale
I've never really read or watched GI Joe, but couldn't resist some 45 cent comics there.
Old 07-01-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And I still haven't cracked open the first complete collection that was recommended by the esteemed gentlemen above. I've been trying to read stuff according to the monthly challenges and I havent seen a month that really fits GI Joe.
Old 07-02-16, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool
And I still haven't cracked open the first complete collection that was recommended by the esteemed gentlemen above. I've been trying to read stuff according to the monthly challenges and I havent seen a month that really fits GI Joe.
Every January and every June for starters!
Old 07-03-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Every January and every June for starters!
I am unfamiliar with the comics. I am only familiar with the TV show and movies at present. That being said, I agree that the TV/Movie challenge is a fit. Problem was, the first challenge I did was in February this year, so I missed the January challenge. And for the June Reality challenge, keep in mind I am coming from the TV show where there are guys that are half snake half man, guys that have metal heads that move just like a regular persons, and armies that never seem to kill anyone despite some pretty cool advanced weaponry. Not exactly what I would call "reality" in the strictest sense of the word. Of course I would defer to the more experienced comic readers.
Old 07-03-16, 01:57 PM

I am unfamiliar with the comics. I am only familiar with the TV show and movies at present. That being said, I agree that the TV/Movie challenge is a fit. Problem was, the first challenge I did was in February this year, so I missed the January challenge. And for the June Reality challenge, keep in mind I am coming from the TV show where there are guys that are half snake half man, guys that have metal heads that move just like a regular persons, and armies that never seem to kill anyone despite some pretty cool advanced weaponry. Not exactly what I would call "reality" in the strictest sense of the word. Of course I would defer to the more experienced comic readers.
Yeah, I'm not very familiar with anything involving GI Joe, but I think the comics are generally slightly realistic. I'm pretty sure they are close enough to count in any event.

A couple other months could conceivably count as well. A company specific month perhaps, or Make-Your-Own in May for example.
Old 07-04-16, 11:26 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yes, the comics are more realistic than the cartoon. They're much, much better.

I love the original G.I. Joe comics; I learned to read on them. Funny, my subscription ended with #154 and I never found a copy of #155 to read, to this day!

I have over 100 of the 155 issues in print and the gaps are all over the place. I'm tempted on this sale, but I'm not sure yet. I suppose I have one more day to decide.
Old 07-05-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, I'm not very familiar with anything involving GI Joe, but I think the comics are generally slightly realistic. I'm pretty sure they are close enough to count in any event.

A couple other months could conceivably count as well. A company specific month perhaps, or Make-Your-Own in May for example.
Yeah. I wasn't sure how the books was either. I'm may just start reading it when I finish my current book. I know that this month is Sci-fi but I don't really have anything that fits.

Originally Posted by story
Yes, the comics are more realistic than the cartoon. They're much, much better.

I love the original G.I. Joe comics; I learned to read on them. Funny, my subscription ended with #154 and I never found a copy of #155 to read, to this day!

I have over 100 of the 155 issues in print and the gaps are all over the place. I'm tempted on this sale, but I'm not sure yet. I suppose I have one more day to decide.
I am really looking forward to getting into them. I absolutely loved the cartoon as a kid, but always found it to be a bit too "cartoony" at times, so the comics should be right up my alley.
Old 07-11-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally cracked open the first collection. It is awesome!! Very similar to the cartoon that I remember, without the mysticism/weirdness that we saw in the show. So far anyway. Cobra is strictly a terrorist organization, and Cobra Commander is simply a man with a mask. Again, so far. Somewhat realistic in the backgrounds of the Joes and their weaponry, as well as some vehicles and weapons that are a bit more far fetched. It is real nice seeing these old favorite characters in some new to me adventures.
Old 07-11-16, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

I like the military pseudo-realism of the early issues. It gets a bit soap-opera-y as the run goes on, but I think the first 40-50 issues or so are some of the best.
Old 07-19-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I just finished the first Complete Collection of GI Joe. It seemed like it ended rather abruptly, so I don't know what happened to Snake Eyes. Of course Volume 2 seems to be temporarily unavailable from the usual sources. Hopefully it hasn't gone out of print. Anyone know?
Old 07-19-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I just started reading it from the beginning recently. I'm surprised how brutal some of the killings seem to be early on, not that you're seeing blood and guts, but you're definitely seeing a lot of Cobra henchmen get shot up and die.
Old 07-19-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Quack
I just started reading it from the beginning recently. I'm surprised how brutal some of the killings seem to be early on, not that you're seeing blood and guts, but you're definitely seeing a lot of Cobra henchmen get shot up and die.
Definitely. I was so surprised by that, that I actually went back a page to double check to make sure I wasn't imagining that I had just read what I thought I had.

Update to my search for volume 2. Cheapgraphicnovels still listed it on their website, so I ordered it. It was more than I wanted to spend, but less than I was seeing it offered for where I could find it used. We will see if it actually comes.
Old 07-19-16, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Of course Volume 2 seems to be temporarily unavailable from the usual sources. Hopefully it hasn't gone out of print. Anyone know?
I don't know, that's weird. Volumes 4 and 5 seem to be in a similar situation. Plan accordingly.

Also, I found IDW appears to have Vol. 2, 4, and 5 in stock direct (at list price, but at least you know they have it and it's new):

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product...lection-vol-2/

Last edited by TheBang; 07-19-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBang
I don't know, that's weird. Volumes 4 and 5 seem to be in a similar situation. Plan accordingly.
1-7 are either in short supply or sold out on Amazon. Weird, as volume 9 comes out in August.

Originally Posted by TheBang
Also, I found IDW appears to have Vol. 2, 4, and 5 in stock direct (at list price, but at least you know they have it and it's new):

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product...lection-vol-2/
Thanks for that. Full price, though. Ouch. I did find it at Cheapgraphicnovels for 34.99. We'll see if it actually ships.

Last edited by jjcool; 07-20-16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got a shipping notice last night from CGN. This, of course, means that volume two will soon be back in stock at Amazon.