Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Weird Global Appeal of Heavy Metal" - interesting article in the WSJ today

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-weir...tal-1455819419

Favorite fact from the article: the Prime Minister of Indonesia has been spotted in a Napalm Death t-shirt.

Journalists are finally waking up to the fact that metal is huge world wide.
Old 02-19-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: "The Weird Global Appeal of Heavy Metal" - interesting article in the WSJ today

Yea theres been alot of talk on the Indonesian PM on metal websites. Some of the band members of Napalm Death reached out to him to stay some executions not too long ago.

I'm not suprised that metal has picked up internationally. It is a genre that can cover many topics and isn't pegionholed into one sound. Wearing a band tshirt overseas often gets the same response as wearing it stateside. I remember walking into a bar in Greece and immediatly stricking up a conversation with a local because I was wearing a Lamb of God shirt. He turned me onto a few bands from Greece like Rotting Christ. I don't think mainstream journalist will cover metal anymore than they currently do just because most don't take the time to see it as more than a circus act.

*edit*
I've been meaning to check out Chthonic. After seeing the picture at the bottom I definantely will.

Last edited by beavis69; 02-19-16 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 02-19-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: "The Weird Global Appeal of Heavy Metal" - interesting article in the WSJ today

Originally Posted by beavis69
Yea theres been alot of talk on the Indonesian PM on metal websites.
The article calls Indonesia the #1 metal scene in the world.
Old 02-19-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

It's certainly interesting hearing Pantera's I'm Broken and the opening riff from Death Angel's The Ultra-Violence in Hardee's/Carl's Jr. commercials.
Old 02-19-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
I've been meaning to check out Chthonic. After seeing the picture at the bottom I definantely will.
I saw Chthonic at Milwaukee Metalfest back in 2002. Their bass player was nice to look at, but their music was just run of the mill black metal. A bit too symphonic for me ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4jYsu5-TJQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-19-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I used to work for Nokia. It was interesting when they would have a demonstration video (made by the execs in Finland) for the audio capabilities of a new phone, and it would have Manowar clips. I mean, you've got these execs, in full suits, but playing heavy metal on the phones. It was an interesting combination, that's for sure.
Old 02-20-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Phodg
I saw Chthonic at Milwaukee Metalfest back in 2002. Their bass player was nice to look at, but their music was just run of the mill black metal. A bit too symphonic for me ...
Doris is too skinny.

And did you know their singer Freddie ran for office in Taiwan's parliament and won? No word on whether he will continue with the band.
Old 02-21-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

It's good to know Americans aren't the only ones with terrible tastes in music.

Old 02-21-16, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Journalists are finally waking up to the fact that metal is huge world wide.
I think journalists and everyone else already knew this. Half a million Brazilians have been showing up for Iron Maiden shows for decades. It's practically a cliche.
Old 02-21-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Yea theres been alot of talk on the Indonesian PM on metal websites. Some of the band members of Napalm Death reached out to him to stay some executions not too long ago.
I think Axl Rose also wrote a letter

In the Lamb of God documentary they went to India and a lot of metal fans there showed up for the concert.
Old 02-23-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyone ever see the documentary "Global Metal"? Pretty interesting look into the metal culture around the world.
Old 02-23-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I think Axl Rose also wrote a letter

In the Lamb of God documentary they went to India and a lot of metal fans there showed up for the concert.
Once.