Reload this Page >

Superhero Burnout?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superhero Burnout?

Old 02-14-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Superhero Burnout?

Is it just me or is anyone getting just burned out and generally weary of Superhero shows. I know I am.

I dumped Arrow and do not miss it. I don't really miss Agents of Shield and not sure I continue. Have not started Agent Carter, skipped Legends of Tomorrow entirely, Supergirl is backing up and I am not sure I care. I still watch Flash, and I will watch Gotham when it comes back but I am not sure even that will last forever.

It just seems overplayed and the shows are very very repetitive. And really not all that different with the exception of Gotham.

I like SuperHeros, but I have not read a comic since the 80s, so all the little easter eggs and things like that mean nothing to me. In fact I find most SH show threads to be incredibly spoiler-y actually since it is assumed you know the comics.

It just seems like there is almost too much TV to watch now, and I am just finding myself less and less inspired by these shows.I loved them for a while but they just weary me now.

Anyone else feeling this way?
Old 02-14-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Re: Superhero Burnout?

I said previously it's a golden age of TV if you're a comic book fan.

I dumped Agents of Shield a season or so ago. Storyline was just way too convoluted. Never watched Arrow and from what I've seen in the Flash crossovers, it wouldn't be my cup of tea. Never had any interest in Agent Carter.

I watch Supergirl, Flash, Legends, Gotham and Daredevil. So no, I'm not tired of it. I also don't nit pick and nerd out about these shows. Try to stay out of the discussion threads.

I could start a similar thread about fantasy/vampire/zombie shows (which I have zero interest in), but I don't. I simply don't watch them.
Old 02-14-16, 09:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

No.

Some superhero shows are good, others not so much. Much like some dramas or comedies are good, and others are not.

If you don't like, don't watch.
Old 02-14-16, 09:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Jeez, how much TV do you watch? I love every comic show so far, but can't find the time to watch them all. I'd maybe burn out if I watched them all.
Old 02-14-16, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, they should cancel some of these superhero shows to make room for doctor and lawyer shows.
Old 02-14-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

No with only reading the thread title
Old 02-14-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Nope. Just like with movies, music, or books, if I start getting tired of one genre or topic, I can switch to something different.
Old 02-14-16, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Absolutely not.

I love that in 2016 we have more channels, platforms and genres (Superheroes/comics especially) that can keep us as viewers occupied year round. More hours than the average person/family can watch in 1 week let alone 1 year. I love the Superhero and comic genre just as much as most here, but I also try to balance my viewing out with other things.

Not like 35-40 years ago when there were only 3 major networks and only procedurals, multi-camera sitcoms, family dramas and game shows to watch.
Old 02-14-16, 11:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope i love most of them but don't quite watch all of them

I do however wish that there were a few more standard action shows. It seems any new ones (like the Player) do not attract audiences like superhero shows do
Old 02-14-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

No offense to the OP but there are probably a hundred+ shows on tv, netflix, amazon, yahoo, etc. Superhero shows are a drop in the bucket.

Flash
Arrow
Legends of Tomorrow
Supergirl
Gotham
Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Agent Carter
Powers
Heroes
Agents (it's not a superhero show) of SHIELD

Honestly I'm grateful even if I only watch a few of them... the tv landscape is finally getting away from shitty reality shows.

Originally Posted by Groucho
Yeah, they should cancel some of these superhero shows to make room for doctor and lawyer shows.

More Law & Order, NCIS and CSI spin-offs, please.
Old 02-14-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

The president of FX said there are around 400 scripted shows currently. Only 321 of them are superhero shows.
Old 02-14-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Deadpool just massively out-performed expectations at the box office and most people expect two of this year's top three movies at the box office will be superhero movies.

It's just you. I will agree that the Arrow formula is becoming stale since so many shows seem to be duplicating it.

I expect new takes on superheroes will start coming out. They've already greenlit Damage Control, which is a basically a superhero comedy version of The Office.
Old 02-14-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Growing up in the 70's reading comic books I always wished they would make movies and tv shows. Now that it's happening I'm not complaining one bit. I watch what I like and I hope it continues.
Old 02-14-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The president of FX said there are around 400 scripted shows currently. Only 321 of them are superhero shows.
Roughly a dozen shows out of 400. So a whopping 3% of scripted television shows and even less if you factor in non-scripted. Overload indeed.
Old 02-14-16, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Not at all, I watch every single one.

Most of the shows I watch are based on powers, abilities, magic, supernatural, sci-fi etc.... not so much into random doctor, police, lawyer, sitcom show number eight hundred.

I really just ignore what does not look appealing and watch what does. I understand the point of watching a lot of the same type of shows and you personally feel burt out by the concept. I like powers, comics too much for that to happen.

Last edited by Xiroteus; 02-14-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-14-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

If you're burned out, I suggest you stop watching. There are many ways to catch up later if you want to.
Old 02-14-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Don't forget family sitcoms with smart-mouthed brats.
Old 02-14-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Roughly a dozen shows out of 400. So a whopping 3% of scripted television shows and even less if you factor in non-scripted. Overload indeed.
Does The Walking Dead count as a super-hero show? Rick has a super-power, after all, and that power is ruining the lives (if not outright causing the death) of literally everyone he meets.
Old 02-14-16, 11:20 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I'm still waiting on that Detective Chimp show...
Old 02-14-16, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I had an answer as soon as I saw the thread title, but I'm so glad to see so many smart answers that I didn't really have to.
Old 02-15-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes I can stop watching, but the distinction I was trying to make is that I used to really love these shows, but am losing interest in the genre. Not saying people should dislike them at all. Was just curious.
Old 02-15-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Yes I can stop watching, but the distinction I was trying to make is that I used to really love these shows, but am losing interest in the genre. Not saying people should dislike them at all. Was just curious.
Are there genres that stand out more. Personally without powers, magic, sci-fi, fantasty, supernatural we would be left with laywer, cop and doctor shows. Of course you said nothing about those, just superheroes in general.
Old 02-15-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
the distinction I was trying to make is that I used to really love these shows, but am losing interest in the genre.
I've absolutely not lost interest in the genre, but I've dropped most of the shows after sampling them. I look forward to the movies more than the TV shows. It's about more than genre. It's about the show. Just because I like Game of Thrones doesn't mean I'm going to like Reign. Comic shows haven't really had their Game of Thrones yet, because we're mostly dealing with a WB that distributes via CW and CBS, and a Marvel that distributes via ABC. Heroes (NBC) and Powers (PSN) are notable exceptions. But if there's still room for a premium cable network (or really, even something like AMC or F/X) to really take it to the next level.

For me, none of the current crop of Comic-based shows are great, but they're OK if you're just looking to fill some time. Also, they're useful from a foundational standpoint as they allow the industry to see what can work (time, budgets, storytelling devices, etc.). I'm hoping things will get better over time. Maybe not with the current crop of shows, but with the shows that follow.
Old 02-15-16, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I've absolutely not lost interest in the genre, but I've dropped most of the shows after sampling them. I look forward to the movies more than the TV shows. It's about more than genre. It's about the show. Just because I like Game of Thrones doesn't mean I'm going to like Reign. Comic shows haven't really had their Game of Thrones yet, because we're mostly dealing with a WB that distributes via CW and CBS, and a Marvel that distributes via ABC. Heroes (NBC) and Powers (PSN) are notable exceptions. But if there's still room for a premium cable network (or really, even something like AMC or F/X) to really take it to the next level.
There's also Marvel's Netflix series, which are quite a bit better than their broadcast fare on ABC.
Old 02-15-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

If you try to watch them all I can see why you might feel this way. It's a lot to try to keep up with on a weekly basis and still have time for other types of shows. A lot of them though imo aren't worth watching, but then everyone has their own opinions on the matter.

Just don't try to watch them all, and cut out those you like less so that you're only watching your favorites and still have time for other stuff and you'll be fine.

Sure it seems like there is a lot of Superhero stuff out there flooding the market, but heck for years we had tons and tons of crime procedures being the 'big' thing; and honestly I'd much rather have Superheros. haha.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.