The Blacklist (S3E13) -- "Alistair Pitt" -- 2/4/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
The Blacklist (S3E13) -- "Alistair Pitt" -- 2/4/16

"THE BLACKLIST"

"ALISTAIR PITT"

02/04/2016 (09:00PM - 10:00PM) (Thursday) : Red (James Spader) and Liz (Megan Boone) work with the taskforce to stop a negotiator who has resurfaced to unite two rival crime families. Tom (Ryan Eggold) reconnects with a former flame. Tony Shalhoub and Margarita Levieva guest star. TV-14 V

Episode 13 of 22
Old 02-06-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Blacklist (S3E13) -- "Alistair Pitt" -- 2/4/16

It was great to Monk again on TV. But what was with that dog that couldn't get his tongue back in his mouth. It was very distracting.

It seems they are not shying away from having cases where it's just the FBI helping in Red's personal agenda. They at least used to portray these cases as having something to do with keeping others safe or fighting crime.
Old 02-06-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Shaloub was fun in that role. The case, meh.
Old 02-07-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The case was dumb but Shaloub was having fun with his role.
Old 02-08-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
It was great to Monk again on TV. But what was with that dog that couldn't get his tongue back in his mouth. It was very distracting.
My wife said that dog likely had dental issues, preventing it from pulling its tongue completely in.
http://www.canidae.com/blog/2010/07/...-syndrome.html

It seems they are not shying away from having cases where it's just the FBI helping in Red's personal agenda. They at least used to portray these cases as having something to do with keeping others safe or fighting crime.
Red has always had a hidden agenda for every case, even if it isn't shown at first. All season 1 cases were retroactively revealed to be concerning Berlin, while all the cases since Berlin have been about the Cabal. Also, in this case the FBI had a chance to take down two drug gangs, which is why the DEA was also involved.

That said, I think this is the first time where the case was actually just about something personal to Red, and not to an overall "bigger picture" plan he had. I was expecting Red to want Alistair's client list for some reason, but from what the episode showed, he apparently just wanted revenge for the battered woman he loves. However, I guess a later episode could reveal that he also took the client list.
Old 02-08-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I loved how casually Red shot both the husband and Shaloub's character. It's great when he just straight-up murders a dude.
Old 02-08-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
I loved how casually Red shot both the husband and Shaloub's character. It's great when he just straight-up murders a dude.
Red does not mess around. At best, he's going to let you know why he's killing you right before he does.
Old 02-08-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That said, I think this is the first time where the case was actually just about something personal to Red, and not to an overall "bigger picture" plan he had.
Agreed, that's part of it, but also that there was also no other interest for the FBI.
Old 02-08-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed, that's part of it, but also that there was also no other interest for the FBI.
Why wouldn't the FBI be interested in helping take down two mob families, and a facilitator of other mobs & gangs?
Old 02-08-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why wouldn't the FBI be interested in helping take down two mob families, and a facilitator of other mobs & gangs?
If not for Red's involvement I don't think it even makes their radar. Would have looked like a mob related shooting at wedding that the local police would handle.
Old 02-08-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If not for Red's involvement I don't think it even makes their radar....
That defines nearly every case; one of the basic premises for the blacklist Red has is that it's a list of criminals that often the FBI and other law enforcement agencies aren't even aware of.

Red's a CI. He brings them actionable intel, and they act upon it. That's how the show works. This case isn't unique in that regard, nor in it taking them outside their normal "radar."
Old 02-08-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That defines nearly every case; one of the basic premises for the blacklist Red has is that it's a list of criminals that often the FBI and other law enforcement agencies aren't even aware of.
Been a while since I watched the S1 and S2 episodes, but it seems that in many cases the FBI was well aware of the crimes, or specific criminal, but needed Red's help to put the pieces together. I guess this is one of those agree to disagree situations.
Old 02-08-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Been a while since I watched the S1 and S2 episodes, but it seems that in many cases the FBI was well aware of the crimes, or specific criminal, but needed Red's help to put the pieces together. I guess this is one of those agree to disagree situations.
S1E1 "Pilot"
We all know your Top Ten is little more than a publicity campaign. It's a popularity contest at best. I'm talking about the criminals who matter. The ones you can't find because you don't even know they exist. Zamani was a small fish. I'm Ahab. And if you want the whales on my list, you have to play by my rules.
S1E2 "The Freelancer"
Raymond: He's rivaled only by governments and terrorist organizations. And you've never heard of him.

Cooper: This guy have a name?

Raymond: They call him "the freelancer."
S1E5 "The Courier"
Have you ever wondered how criminals who know they can't trust one another are still able to conduct business with each other? They replace trust with fear and the threat of violence. The next target on the blacklist is a physical embodiment of both. He's known as the Courier, and his involvement in a transaction virtually guarantees success.
S1E12 "The Alchemist"
The next name on the blacklist. There's someone I think you should find. He's a man who protects the guilty by preying on the innocent. He's killed women, children, infants if need be-- whatever the particular job calls for...

And this blacklister-- does he have a name?

They call him the Alchemist.

Liz: Why do they call him the Alchemist?

Red: Because he relies upon science to transform one person into another.
These are just the ones I found where the dialogue more readily identifies that the FBI was not previously aware of the individual. I haven't checked all the season 1 episodes though.

There are some cases where the FBI is aware of a name or codename, but doesn't know what the person looks like, etc, while others they're completely unaware such a criminal even exists.

Again, this episode isn't unique in how the show has been structured.