DVD Talk
Was Queen Always Considered "Rock" and "Cool" To Listen To? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Was Queen Always Considered "Rock" and "Cool" To Listen To?

Decker
01-28-16, 08:47 PM
Queen has come up a few times recently in the music thread and I keep wondering this : For those old enough to remember popular music in the 70s, was Queen the sort of band that fans of Led Zep, Pink Floyd and AC/DC would listen to without embarrassment? Now they're considered a great classic Rock band, but I seem to remember my friends in Junior High being pretty under-impressed with them back in the day (and booing a performer who broke out the Bass riff of "Another One Bites The Dust" during a school assembly).
I mean "Somebody To Love" is kind of breathtaking, but doesn't exactly rock. "You're My Best Friend" sounds like a Partridge Family song (c'mon, you know you can see Susan Dey singing "Ooooh you make me live, Oh-Oh-Oh"). "Bicycle Race" is just weird, and not in a "Tomorrow Never Knows" cool sort of way. It certainly isn't traditional 70s Classic Rock. If anything, a lot of their songs seem very, very Poppy.

I just wonder if Freddy's death and Wayne's World shook up our impression of the band to the point they we've convinced ourselves that they were far more revered than they actually were at the time, at least in Rock circles in the U.S. (I'm aware they were huge in Europe).

Nick Danger
01-28-16, 09:00 PM
In 1977 Queen played Atlanta. I wanted to go, but my parent's wouldn't let me. The review of the concert in the paper said that the arena was mostly empty. So they weren't extremely popular at that place and time.

TomOpus
01-28-16, 09:06 PM
I was a fan when I first heard Killer Queen. Never heard of them being considered not cool. They were cool with me and that's all that mattered.

Norm de Plume
01-28-16, 11:32 PM
I'm not a fan and don't know much of their music, but "Under Pressure" is simply an all-time classic, and "Hammer to Fall" is pretty awesome as well. I also like Mercury's intensity and voice.

Decker
01-28-16, 11:38 PM
No question "Under Pressure " is and always was mind-blowingly great. But so-called Rock Snobs could always like that song as a Bowie number and still be dismissive of Queen as a legitimate rock band.

Mercury was one of the all-time great lead singers live, something I never realized until Live Aid in 1985.

B5Erik
01-29-16, 12:20 AM
When Hot Space and The Works came out they lost their street cred. "Radio Ga Ga," really hurt their career in the U.S. - that wasn't true internationally, but in the U.S. they lost almost all of their Rock fans with that one (following the decline of Rock on The Game and then the Rock-less Hot Space).

So, yeah, there was a time when Queen wasn't cool. It took Wayne's World to revive their career here.

Ginwen
01-29-16, 01:38 AM
In 1977 Queen played Atlanta. I wanted to go, but my parent's wouldn't let me. The review of the concert in the paper said that the arena was mostly empty. So they weren't extremely popular at that place and time.

I saw them in 1977 (my first concert at 13) at the Forum in LA (after Day at the Races came out) and it was full. They were sort of nitch popular I think, but Bohemian Rhapsody was played quite a bit around me when it first came out, Somebody to Love was played a fair amount too.

Gunde
01-29-16, 08:29 AM
"Radio Ga Ga," really hurt their career in the U.S.
I think the video for "I Want to Break Free" was actually the reason. Even if Roger Taylor was a pretty gorgeous chick :lol:

Spiderbite
01-29-16, 09:01 AM
I was made fun of consistently throughout junior high and high school because I unabashedly named Queen my favorite band. I was called a "queer" and all that stuff because of Freddy Mercury (of which I had NO idea he was a homosexual...how did I miss that? :lol: Even if was, I didn't care because I loved the music so much). This was 1980 to 1991.

I was stunned to see some of my redneck macho fraternity brothers in 1992 singing along to Bohemian Rhapsody with the Wayne's World video on MTV. The song had always been a kind of secret that only myself and few others knew about (at least it felt that way). It almost made me hate the song after that.

So, to answer your question, in Alabama listening to Queen was never considered "cool" and you never heard them played on the radio. Very rarely you heard Another Bite The Dust or Crazy Little Thing Called Love but you never heard Bohemian Rhapsody. And you didn't hear We Are The Champions because many in my area felt it was a "gay anthem."

As far as people considering them rock, I have no idea since no one I knew listened to them and radio stations hardly played them.

RichC2
01-29-16, 09:09 AM
Yeah but Alabama always struck me as place where if your music didn't have that twang you craved the wang.

Josh-da-man
01-29-16, 09:27 AM
I cut my teeth on heavy metal in the 80s and Queen wasn't really a blip on my radar. I didn't hate them or anything, but by that time they seemed like more of a pop act. I did hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" on an oldies AM radio station once and it seemed really weird, but kind of fascinating.

Queen really hit the pop culture consciousness in the early 90s when Freddy Mercury died and "Bohemian Rhapsody" was featued in Wayne's World.

As far as their popularity in the 1970s and 80s, I always kind of got the impression that they were more popular in the UK and other parts of the world than in the US.

inri222
01-29-16, 09:43 AM
They weren't my thing but I do respect them. I was more into Zeppelin, Purple, and Sabbath.

GuessWho
01-29-16, 09:57 AM
Stone Cold Crazy is downright metal.

Hokeyboy
01-29-16, 10:20 AM
I know that the band blames their decline in the US on conservative morality and homophobia, but honestly: few 70s rock bands maintained into the 80s anyhow. Styles shifted and the quality of their music took a bit of a nosedive IMO (everything from the debut album to Jazz is in heavy rotation here, afterwards I pick and choose carefully).

So yes, in the mid to late 80s, Queen was "uncool" in the US. But you couldn't possibly escape "Another One Bites The Dust" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" around 1980/81.

CRM114
01-29-16, 10:21 AM
was Queen the sort of band that fans of Led Zep, Pink Floyd and AC/DC would listen to without embarrassment

Yes, although I wouldn't put AC/DC in that group. I don't remember them gaining any sort of mass popularity until 1978ish.

CRM114
01-29-16, 10:23 AM
No question "Under Pressure " is and always was mind-blowingly great. But so-called Rock Snobs could always like that song as a Bowie number and still be dismissive of Queen as a legitimate rock band.

Mercury was one of the all-time great lead singers live, something I never realized until Live Aid in 1985.

Meh, Queen was never ostracized from the classic rock world until "The Game" in 1980.

Phodg
01-29-16, 10:32 AM
I grew up in England. They were always huge in Europe.

hdnmickey
01-29-16, 10:42 AM

May and Deacon were pretty amazing as well.

Queen was always considered one of the best bands in the crowd I hung out with. We would play them often when goofing off, trying to cover our favorite songs. Songs from the entire career, even songs from The Game (have no idea why people dislike that album, so many great songs beyond the two hits).

Unlike many other who only like their earlier material, many of my favorite Queen tracks come from their last few albums. Hammer to Fall, One Vision, Who Wants to Live Forever, I Want It All, Innuendo, Headlong, The Show Must Go On, Let Me Live.

statcat
01-29-16, 12:07 PM
When Hot Space and The Works came out they lost their street cred. "Radio Ga Ga," really hurt their career in the U.S. - that wasn't true internationally, but in the U.S. they lost almost all of their Rock fans with that one (following the decline of Rock on The Game and then the Rock-less Hot Space).

A lot of their 80s work is downright awful and embarrassing in my opinion. It was funny to me how they use to write "No Synthesizers!" on their albums from Queen II to A Day at the Races and then later on embrace them fully. Hot Space is the low point of their career.

Mabuse
01-29-16, 12:16 PM
Growing up in the '80s in California I can say that for all intents and purposes Queen did not exist. You might hear We Will Rock You at a sporting event, but never on the radio. Their music fell outside the format. Rock stations were playing heavily commercial, blues-based hard rock like Poison and Motley Crew and G&R, and alternative rock radio was focused on things that were more punk and DIY, not polished studio music.

Wayne's World had an absolutely astonishing effect. It was like night and day. And sadly just as they were on this precipice of revived interest, the guy dies. It's really a shame.

hdnmickey
01-29-16, 12:40 PM
Funny how often Wayne's World is gets mentioned as bringing back Queen. Certainly true that it put them back on the radar for causal fans, or people that never really were fans at all.

But if I was to point at one thing that really brought them back it was that Live Aid performance. I was surprised how many people bought this album and started paying attention to them again based on that one performance. There was no official release of that Live Aid performance for many years, and this disc came as close as you could get:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_Magic

Queen really brought it that day at Live Aid and even non-fans took note.

Mike86
01-29-16, 12:54 PM
I can't really speak for the era during which they were originally around (with Mercury) but I've always enjoyed their hits more than anything. I'm sure they have good album cuts that aren't necessarily considered hits but they just were never a band I got very big into.

hdnmickey
01-29-16, 01:28 PM
I've also been surprised just how many bands, especially metal bands, cite them a significant influence. Many are more familiar with the covers of Queen songs than the original version by Queen. Stone Cold Crazy is a great example.

bluetoast
01-29-16, 01:50 PM
How about Rush. They seem pretty nerdy, I can only assume their fans were more "shunned" than that of Queens. Styx too.

Hokeyboy
01-29-16, 02:08 PM
Unlike Queen, Rush maintained a measure of commercial popularity from the 70s straight through the 80s and even into the early/mid 90s.

CRM114
01-29-16, 02:12 PM
Another thing worth mentioning. No one knew or cared that Freddie Mercury was gay back then. No one knew Rob Halford was gay either. And back then, people weren't all that open-minded.

How about Rush. They seem pretty nerdy, I can only assume their fans were more "shunned" than that of Queens. Styx too.

Fuck no. Rush was considered a kick ass heavy rock band. Their nerdiness seems to be a new construct based on the people that picked them up after they jumped the shark, post-Moving Pictures.

Styx is another matter.

Why So Blu?
01-29-16, 02:14 PM
Their early stuff is also downright progressive. Ogre Battle? Phenomenal song.

Spiderbite
01-29-16, 02:37 PM
Their early stuff is also downright progressive. Ogre Battle? Phenomenal song.

I don't know. I always felt that most of Queen I and Queen II were just Led Zeppelin rip-offs with a little extra style. They really didn't hit their stride until Sheer Heart Attack (their third album). Sheer Heart Attack has so many different music styles from song to song that it will make you question if you are listening to the same band after each song ends and the new one begins.

I love everything they ever did but I have to say my least favorite album of their is either The Works, The Miracle, or Innuendo. Probably The Works is the least listened to by me. I love Radio Ga Ga but most of the other songs are really uninteresting.

Both The Miracle and Innuendo sound like they are trying to hard and the awful lyrics on many of those songs from those two albums are embarrassing bad.

Hot Space gets shit on all the time but I personally love that album. Yeah, a lot of the lyrics suck on it but dig the funky horns on Staying Power. Dancer, Action This Day, and Put Out The Fire are all rocking. Body Language is a very sexy song and of course you have the one hit, Under Pressure with David Bowie. You couldn't escape that song on MTV when it was released. But I remember Bowie always getting more credit on that song than Queen when it was played. Like Queen was his backing band on that song or something.

Pointyskull
01-29-16, 02:51 PM
I was a fan when I first heard Killer Queen. Never heard of them being considered not cool. They were cool with me and that's all that mattered.

this

CRM114
01-29-16, 02:58 PM
Hot Space gets shit on all the time but I personally love that album. Yeah, a lot of the lyrics suck on it but dig the funky horns on Staying Power. Dancer, Action This Day, and Put Out The Fire are all rocking. Body Language is a very sexy song and of course you have the one hit, Under Pressure with David Bowie. You couldn't escape that song on MTV when it was released. But I remember Bowie always getting more credit on that song than Queen when it was played. Like Queen was his backing band on that song or something.

See, this is why the OP asked his question. The stuff after The Game is not hard rock like they played previously. I knew of no one that bought any Queen albums after The Game - even that album was shunned by the rock crowd and made successful by the new MTV market. (I liked Play The Game and Sail Away Sweet Sister and thats about it.)

Why So Blu?
01-29-16, 03:40 PM
My favorite Queen album is the "A Kind of Magic," because it's basically the Highlander soundtrack all in one.

Spiderbite
01-29-16, 03:42 PM
See, this is why the OP asked his question. The stuff after The Game is not hard rock like they played previously. I knew of no one that bought any Queen albums after The Game - even that album was shunned by the rock crowd and made successful by the new MTV market. (I liked Play The Game and Sail Away Sweet Sister and thats about it.)

I had several friends become Queen fans (or at least listened to them without laughing) after they realized they did the music for the cult movie Highlander of which appears on It's A Kind Of Magic.

There is some good stuff on that album and it is right between The Works and The Miracle.

But I do believe that album bombed just like the movie did. People seemed to discover that album years later once the movie caught an audience on video.

Spiderbite
01-29-16, 03:43 PM
My favorite Queen album is the "A Kind of Magic," because it's basically the Highlander soundtrack all in one.

Funny. I was typing my above response at the same time you posted this.

hdnmickey
01-29-16, 03:51 PM
I remember ending up with "A Kind of Magic" after going into a store and asking for the Highlander soundtrack album. It's missing a couple songs from the movie, but it is the only place you can get Highlander songs short of the bonus disc that came with one version of Highlander on DVD and hits packages that have a few of the singles.

I've always enjoyed potion of the Flash Gordon soundtrack as well. Beyond the famous title song (Ah-ahhhh!) the Battle Theme and The Hero are quite good. Great guitar work.

And I am a huge fan of Queen, Rush, and Styx. All 3 definitely have their ups and downs and are love them or hate them bands.

bunkaroo
01-29-16, 04:15 PM

I had several friends become Queen fans (or at least listened to them without laughing) after they realized they did the music for the cult movie Highlander of which appears on It's A Kind Of Magic.

There is some good stuff on that album and it is right between The Works and The Miracle.

But I do believe that album bombed just like the movie did. People seemed to discover that album years later once the movie caught an audience on video.

Same here. "Who Wants to Live Forever" is my all-time favorite of theirs.

DRG
01-29-16, 04:19 PM
As an 80s kid, I mainly knew them as the guys who did 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are the Champions' (which I knew from the medley video MTV played and Revenge of the Nerds for 'WATC'). I also remember 'Radio Ga Ga', and remember being embarrassed to admit I liked "I Want It All' (which came out when I was in my hair band/headbanger years).

I had never even heard of 'Under Pressure' until 'Ice Ice Baby', and had never heard of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' until Wayne's World. And even looking back, 'Under Pressure' didn't seem to make much of a blip on the US scene at original release... it peaked at #29 on the Hot 100, while 'Body Language' from the same album made it to #11. As much as people hate what Vanilla Ice did with 'Pressure', I guarantee he brought a slew of new fans to the song that may have never discovered it otherwise.

B5Erik
01-29-16, 04:42 PM
As an 80s kid, I mainly knew them as the guys who did 'We Will Rock You' and 'We Are the Champions' (which I knew from the medley video MTV played and Revenge of the Nerds for 'WATC'). I also remember 'Radio Ga Ga', and remember being embarrassed to admit I liked "I Want It All' (which came out when I was in my hair band/headbanger years).

I had never even heard of 'Under Pressure' until 'Ice Ice Baby', and had never heard of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' until Wayne's World. And even looking back, 'Under Pressure' didn't seem to make much of a blip on the US scene at original release... it peaked at #29 on the Hot 100, while 'Body Language' from the same album made it to #11. As much as people hate what Vanilla Ice did with 'Pressure', I guarantee he brought a slew of new fans to the song that may have never discovered it otherwise.
Under Pressure was HUGE on MTV.

Hokeyboy
01-29-16, 04:43 PM
I think I had the "One Vision" 45. In fact, I know I did, because there was no way in hell I was buying the "Iron Eagle" soundtrack. That was a great single.

"Iron Eagle"... mein leiber gott.

Phodg
01-29-16, 04:44 PM
No one knew Rob Halford was gay either.

Oh, they did. In England at least, everyone knew. But nobody talked about it. It was kind of funny, actually.

rw2516
01-29-16, 04:52 PM
I was 15 when Queen I was released, 22 when The Game was released. Prior to 1976 there were many bands who were known only to fans of album rock because they got no airplay. Aerosmith, Rush, REO, Styx, Kansas, Foghat and Queen. You discovered these bands because someone you knew had an album and turn you on. At this time Queen was considered hard rock.
Around 1976 things changed. I've read that the popularity of the Boston album caused it, I don't know. Anyway, a lot of bands suddenly faded away, while others suddenly had break through hits and became well known. Queen became bigger than most of them. They became A list. Probably because their albums mostly rocked but had a few pop tunes that became AM hits.
The height of their popularity among rock fans cumulated during News of the World and Jazz. Live Killers is a perfect time capsule of Queen at the height of their popularity among harder rock fans.
Then came The Game. Everybody I knew hated it. Everybody I knew loathed "Another One Bites The Dust". Our rock station played the parody "Another One Rides The Bus" instead.
A lot of rock fans dropped out at this point.

cungar
01-29-16, 06:07 PM
Yeah their artistic decline just happened to coincide with Freddie's outing. Just like Elton John.

I have to admit I was naive about Rob Halford. I had no idea until he came out. Just thought he was a leather dude like other macho metal guys.

Hokeyboy
01-29-16, 07:53 PM
Elton John's career didn't start to decline until well after his sexuality was common knowledge; he was going strong well into the late 90s. Every time I hear that sexuality was the reason for Queen's decline, I gotta shake my head. Their 80s output was simply not that great, and most big 70s rock acts were quietly withering away by the time of the Reagan era.

Hokeyboy
01-29-16, 07:54 PM
And Halford always seemed gay to me, even as an 80s kid/teen. The short hair and dog collar just reeked of the Blue Oyster Bar...

Supermallet
01-29-16, 08:33 PM
Yeah their artistic decline just happened to coincide with Freddie's outing. Just like Elton John.

I have to admit I was naive about Rob Halford. I had no idea until he came out. Just thought he was a leather dude like other macho metal guys.

Halford pretty much created the "leather look" for metal, and it's so funny to see so many hardcore metal guys wearing gay S&M outfits. :lol:

For that alone, Rob Halford will forever be one of my favorite rockers.

BobO'Link
01-29-16, 08:46 PM
I was 15 when Queen I was released, 22 when The Game was released. Prior to 1976 there were many bands who were known only to fans of album rock because they got no airplay. Aerosmith, Rush, REO, Styx, Kansas, Foghat and Queen. You discovered these bands because someone you knew had an album and turn you on. At this time Queen was considered hard rock.
I don't know where you were listening but around here (mid-south) *all* those bands *except* Queen received lots of airplay on the AOR/Classic Rock stations and were pretty well known. Queen was pretty much ignored and dismissed, much like Kiss, as being "teeny bopper" pop/rock. No one took them seriously.
Around 1976 things changed. I've read that the popularity of the Boston album caused it, I don't know. Anyway, a lot of bands suddenly faded away, while others suddenly had break through hits and became well known. Queen became bigger than most of them. They became A list. Probably because their albums mostly rocked but had a few pop tunes that became AM hits.
The height of their popularity among rock fans cumulated during News of the World and Jazz. Live Killers is a perfect time capsule of Queen at the height of their popularity among harder rock fans.
It wasn't until Jazz that anyone I knew began to give them the time of day and a occasional listen. Partly because that's the first album I know of that received a modicum of airplay in this area. Before that you had to listen to AM or Pop radio to hear them. That's the first album of theirs I owned because of "Fat Bottomed Girls" and discovered it was a generally excellent release. Still, no one else I knew listened to the group other than what came on the AOR format stations (mainly "Fat Bottomed Girls" and occasionally "Bicycle Race").
Then came The Game. Everybody I knew hated it. Everybody I knew loathed "Another One Bites The Dust". Our rock station played the parody "Another One Rides The Bus" instead.
A lot of rock fans dropped out at this point.
Just as soon as AOR stations began to play their stuff they released The Game and tanked. A *few* tracks from A Day at the Races and Night at the Opera would receive occasional airplay but The Game pretty much killed what little momentum they'd gained on the AOR stations here.
...Every time I hear that sexuality was the reason for Queen's decline, I gotta shake my head. Their 80s output was simply not that great, and most big 70s rock acts were quietly withering away by the time of the Reagan era.
Yep. I don't know if anyone in this area knew or even cared about Mercury's sexuality. If the music's good, it's good. Their 80s output was horrid stuff and even the pop stations quickly dropped them.

I can't remember the last time I heard a Queen song on the radio. It's been at least 20 years (I listen to a AOR/Classic Rock station at work which has a playlist spanning ~1968-2015).

To answer the OP: The group I ran with never considered them to be "Rock" and they most certainly were *not* "Cool" to listen to. To this day I don't truly consider them to be a "Rock" band although I do now own a few of their albums which receive occasional listens.

Eddie W
01-29-16, 09:06 PM
In my early teen circles, I remember Queen being one of THE bands around '77/78. News of The World was massive & everywhere. Then Jazz came out & was similarly buzzed about. But in no small part because it contained a fold out poster of a bunch of naked chicks on bicycles. That neatly folded back into the gatefold cover after 'use' where your mom would never think to look.

Then we forgot about them until Wayne's World came out.

arminius
01-29-16, 11:30 PM
They weren't my thing but I do respect them. I was more into Zeppelin, Purple, and Sabbath.

Same here. I can appreciate their musicianship and song writing but they just did not interest me. The Stooges, Purple, Sabbath, Ten Years After were much preferred.

Spiderbite
01-29-16, 11:37 PM
Mentioning the poster in Jazz, my Dad destroyed my copy of it and burned the poster. He wanted to go to the record store and have the guy arrested for selling it to me but luckily we had moved to a different city by this time and he couldn't.

He also destroyed my LP of It's A Kind Of Magic because of the lyrics to the song Gimme The Prize (Kurgan's Theme).

water from the sprinklers. It also left a man's decapitated body lying on the floor next to his own severed head...a head which at this time has no name.

I know his name.

Here I am!
I'm the master of your destiny (Ha-ha!)
I am the one, the only one
I am the god of Kingdom Come
Gimme the prize!
Just gimme the prize!
Give me your kings,
Let me squeeze them in my hands
Your puny princes,
Your so-called leaders of your land

I'll eat them whole before I'm done
The battle's fought and the game is won
Gimme the prize!
Just gimme the prize! (The prize.)

Now you die

I have something to say...it's better to burn out than to fade away!

There can be only one!

Move over!
I said move over!
Hey, hey, hey! Clear the way
There's no escape from my authority (Didn't I tell you?)
Gimme the prize just gimme the prize
Just gimme the prize

There can be only one.

My Dad and Mom thought they were singing about Satan. They also destroyed my copy of Night At The Opera because of the Beelzebub reference in Bohemian Rhapsody. Which in turn made them destroy all my other Queen albums. Luckily I had tape backups of all my LPs.

I always thought my parents definitively contributed to Queen's bottom line. I had to rebuy so many of their albums and cassettes over the years. This was around 1986 or 1987. They had destroyed all of my Queen stuff twice before in the earlier 80's when all the devil worshiping scare was going around. Don't even get me started on all the KISS stuff they destroyed. And Def Leppard.

What's funny is I never got into the really heavy 80's metal that a parent could have seriously thought was Satanic. I just liked good production and catchy hooks which early KISS and Queen have in spades. If my Dad has known that Mercury was a homosexual at that time, I probably would have been sent away to some type of "camp."

Decker
01-30-16, 12:34 AM
Shit spiderbite, your parents were some hard-core Falwell conservatives. They must have bought that Moral Majority party line Hook, Line & Sinker. That's just seriously nutty.

Supermallet
01-30-16, 02:03 AM
I find it funny that even now someone wouldn't consider Queen a "real" rock band.

Spiderbite
01-30-16, 08:50 AM
Shit spiderbite, your parents were some hard-core Falwell conservatives. They must have bought that Moral Majority party line Hook, Line & Sinker. That's just seriously nutty.

My parents (my Dad especially...I think I Mom just went along because she didn't want to anger him) would go through periods of this the entire time I was growing up.

Some stuff would be okay (say a James Bond movie called Octopussy) but a Def Leppard album would be satanic or sinful.

Early Beatles okay. Late Beatles bad.

It was hard to keep up with the attitude of the day at my house sometimes.

I think more of it had to do with what my Dad liked. He loved James Bond so it was okay. He hated modern day rock music so it was bad. Disney World bad. Disney animated movies okay.

It was certainly strange and I think my Dad would even admit today that he went off the deep end several times when I was growing up.

printerati
01-30-16, 09:08 AM
I was made fun of consistently throughout junior high and high school because I unabashedly named Queen my favorite band. I was called a "queer" and all that stuff because of Freddy Mercury (of which I had NO idea he was a homosexual...how did I miss that? :lol: Even if was, I didn't care because I loved the music so much). This was 1980 to 1991.

Alabama. -ohbfrank-

BobO'Link
01-30-16, 11:23 AM
I find it funny that even now someone wouldn't consider Queen a "real" rock band.
While they have superb musicianship and good songwriting skills they are, IMHO, more a "Pop Rock" band, which *is* "Rock" in the truest sense of the word. When I say "Rock" I mean "Hard Rock" which, again IMHO, Queen is not.

Spiderbite
01-30-16, 11:29 AM
While they have superb musicianship and good songwriting skills they are, IMHO, more a "Pop Rock" band, which *is* "Rock" in the truest sense of the word. When I say "Rock" I mean "Hard Rock" which, again IMHO, Queen is not.

I would have considered them hard rock up until "Jazz." And even Jazz and the albums that followed have some "hard rockers." But they have such a variable sound from song to song that I can see why some people wouldn't consider them "hard rock." They almost defy classification if you as me.

hdnmickey
01-30-16, 11:41 AM
Given how much people were very recently praising Bowie for changing up his sound, it's humorous to see people railing on Queen for doing so. Especially since one of their better songs is actually with Bowie, and a prime example of them changing things up on almost every album.

Supermallet
01-30-16, 01:00 PM

I guess you haven't heard their first six albums then. Queen rocked as hard as anybody, but they also did more than hard rock. Did Kiss become not hard rockers when they released Dynasty? Were The Rolling Stones not hard rockers because they released "Angie"?

BobO'Link
01-30-16, 02:06 PM
I guess you haven't heard their first six albums then.
Yes, I have. I own copies of them and enjoy most of it.
Queen rocked as hard as anybody, but they also did more than hard rock.
No, they really didn't, but they *are* a musically diverse group, which is why I own their output up to "The Game." If I were to place a more distinctive label on them it'd be more Art and/or Glam Rock than Hard Rock.
Did Kiss become not hard rockers when they released Dynasty?
Kiss has *always* been "teeny bopper" rock. They were never taken seriously or played by any AOR or "Hard Rock" station I've ever listened to.
Were The Rolling Stones not hard rockers because they released "Angie"?
Not applicable. Almost *all* "hard" rock acts have released ballads or softer material, some of it quite good, but still not "hard rock" songs in spite of the groups material in general being hard rock. Classifying a band as hard rock is primarily based on song plays on AOR and/or Hard Rock stations. A venue which didn't play, at least around here, material from Queen *or* Kiss.

Damfino
01-30-16, 02:11 PM
I saw them in 1977 (my first concert at 13) at the Forum in LA (after Day at the Races came out) and it was full. They were sort of nitch popular I think, but Bohemian Rhapsody was played quite a bit around me when it first came out, Somebody to Love was played a fair amount too.

After reading this thread, I guess Queen's appeal might have been slightly regional. I was still in LA at the time, so I do remember this show, I didn't go, but some friends of mine did.

To answer the OP, yes Queen was that big in the 70s. At least in California.

hdnmickey
01-30-16, 02:54 PM
Not applicable. Almost *all* "hard" rock acts have released ballads or softer material, some of it quite good, but still not "hard rock" songs in spite of the groups material in general being hard rock. Classifying a band as hard rock is primarily based on song plays on AOR and/or Hard Rock stations. A venue which didn't play, at least around here, material from Queen *or* Kiss.

Sorry your area is different, because both Queen and Kiss get played on the AOR/Hard Rock stations here. Always have, probably always will until the stations cease to exist. That includes most of the tracks on this Queen compilation disc and other album tracks from the both Queen and Kiss' first few albums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Rocks

Hokeyboy
01-30-16, 08:46 PM
The day Brighton Rock is not hard rock is the day mankind flies to the moon in a vehicle powered by cabbage farts.

morriscroy
01-31-16, 04:13 AM
My parents (my Dad especially...I think I Mom just went along because she didn't want to anger him) would go through periods of this the entire time I was growing up.

Some stuff would be okay (say a James Bond movie called Octopussy) but a Def Leppard album would be satanic or sinful.

Early Beatles okay. Late Beatles bad.

It was hard to keep up with the attitude of the day at my house sometimes.

I think more of it had to do with what my Dad liked. He loved James Bond so it was okay. He hated modern day rock music so it was bad. Disney World bad. Disney animated movies okay.

It was certainly strange and I think my Dad would even admit today that he went off the deep end several times when I was growing up.

(Without going heavily into politics/religion).

In practice, I've found that various older extended family members who subscribed to similar attitudes/philosophies, were largely using it as a lazy shorthand to rationalize and justify their own personal opinions and tastes.

Whether they actually truly believed anything an outside "authority" actually said (whether it was Reagan, Falwell, Carter, Thatcher, their local pastor, etc ...), was a completely different matter.

Quite a few of them when I visited them on their deadbeds shortly before they passed away, eventually admitted most of the "moral majority" stuff was just an easy way to control us "out of control" kids when we were growing up. They knew it was largely BS all along. :)

Paff
01-31-16, 04:28 AM
Another thing to consider is the era. Rock did not switch from the Beatles-esque sounds of the 60s to the harder rock sounds of the 70s on January 1 1970. There's a transition phase that takes several years. So even if songs like You're My Best Friend are pretty mellow and poppy, and bands like Iggy and the Stooges, MC5, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, et al were experimenting with sounds that we associate with "heavy metal" nowadays, Queen was still a rocking band for their time. So yeah, Queen was always considered "rock".

And the poster who said that music fans of the time didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay, yes on that too. Back then, people couldn't imagine that anyone into rock could possibly be gay. Seems ludicrous now, but it was true. Even in the 90s, I was having an argument with a co-worker. There was a discussion back then of a radio station that was going to dedicate their airtime 100% to gay/lesbian artists. He said "they won't have a lot to pick from, and sure as hell won't be any hard rock on there". I asked him what he thought the gay kids in his high school were into, and he said, "oh, stuff like music, band, drama". You should have seen the look on his face when he put two and two together...

jgorow
02-01-16, 11:13 PM
I always thought queen rocked hard and that freddie mercury had an incredible stage presence, in adition to the great voice, when he took to the stage he always knew how to work an audience and "own" the stage, he was in his element, the true definition of "rock star". but, what really amazed my friends and i, growing up in the 70s was brian may's guitar sound, the sound he got out of his guitar, most people actually thought was coming from a synthesizer. if you look at the back covers of all of the queen albums before "the game", it said right on the album cover "no synths!!". they never used a synthesizer until the album "the game"

Supermallet
02-02-16, 12:19 AM
Yes, I have. I own copies of them and enjoy most of it.

So why deny what your ears are hearing?

No, they really didn't, but they *are* a musically diverse group, which is why I own their output up to "The Game." If I were to place a more distinctive label on them it'd be more Art and/or Glam Rock than Hard Rock.

Okay, maybe they didn't rock as hard as The Stooges or King Diamond, but neither of those artists are hard rock either. It's telling that Metallica covered "Stone Cold Crazy" and Trent Reznor used to listen to Queen II on the NIN tour bus.

Kiss has *always* been "teeny bopper" rock. They were never taken seriously or played by any AOR or "Hard Rock" station I've ever listened to.

There's really nothing about Kiss that makes them more "teeny bopper" than most other hard rock acts. And songs like "Love Gun", "Black Diamond", and "Rock Bottom" (among many, many, many others) is evidence that they were in fact hard rockers.

I'm basing it on how the music sounds. I don't care what the radio in your area did or didn't play.

statcat
02-02-16, 01:29 AM
I see every person in this thread writing that Freddie was homosexual. He was bisexual. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he didn't start seeing men until the later 70s? I know he left most of his money to Mary Austin who he considered the love of his life.

Why So Blu?
02-02-16, 03:27 AM
There's really nothing about Kiss that makes them more "teeny bopper" than most other hard rock acts. And songs like "Love Gun", "Black Diamond", and "Rock Bottom" (among many, many, many others) is evidence that they were in fact hard rockers.

Yup. Hell, you can even watch their Winterland performance of 1975 and that show features songs form their first two albums and they're hard as fuck. Got To Choose and Parasite sound phenomenal.

EddieMoney
02-02-16, 09:05 AM
Anyone who says Queen is not hard rock is doing hard drugs.

wendersfan
02-02-16, 09:24 AM
Queen were never a cool band.

cungar
02-02-16, 11:18 AM
Given how much people were very recently praising Bowie for changing up his sound, it's humorous to see people railing on Queen for doing so. Especially since one of their better songs is actually with Bowie, and a prime example of them changing things up on almost every album.

Changing things up does not always equal getting better.

hdnmickey
02-02-16, 02:05 PM
Changing things up does not always equal getting better.

But "better" in that regard is always going to be different for each person. That goes for both Bowie and Queen (and KISS and very other band that does anything other than put out more of the same).

Supermallet
02-02-16, 05:50 PM
Not applicable. Almost *all* "hard" rock acts have released ballads or softer material, some of it quite good, but still not "hard rock" songs in spite of the groups material in general being hard rock.

Oh, I also wanted to address this. AC/DC has never released a ballad or softer song, so that means they're the only hard rock band to ever had existed.

Or, more reasonably, a band can have more than one dimension to them and still be hard rock. Your delineations that Queen and Kiss aren't hard rock but other bands are despite doing songs that clearly aren't hard rock is both arbitrary and silly.

SatoshiNak
02-02-16, 06:37 PM
I never did get into Queen although they had a couple songs I thought were great, Bicycle and songs like Queen Killer just killed it for me - that and then I had an ex girlfriend that loved the band and would play those songs to death...I always thought May was a great guitarist and Mercury a great vocalist. As a kid in the 70s I remember after News of the World came out you'd go into U-Totem's and see posters of that album and Star Wars next to each other, I always thought that was odd but I guess the band had gotten pretty big during that time with We Will Rock You and We Are the champions getting so big.

Josh-da-man
02-02-16, 10:24 PM
Oh, I also wanted to address this. AC/DC has never released a ballad or softer song, so that means they're the only hard rock band to ever had existed.

TdC0QtR_Kwc

rbrown498
02-02-16, 11:10 PM
I first heard "Bohemian Rhapsody" on the radio when it was first released. I was in junior high, and I had never heard anything like it. I bought the single (hey, this was in my pre-able-to-get-an-afterschool-job days when money was really scarce) and played it nonstop. In fact, I pretty much wore it out and ended up buying a second copy of the single. My best friend and I became what had to be the two biggest Queen fans in Mississippi. I was absolutely floored when a classmate casually mentioned that his uncle was the head of the worldwide Queen fan club in London. I finally got enough money to buy A Night at the Opera, and my best friend and I listened to it over and over, discussing the lyrics, picking out melodies (him on his guitar and me on the piano), and generally obsessing over all things Queen. We bought the issue of Creem magazine (remember THAT?) that had a cover article promising a track-by-track analysis of A Day at the Races. We raced to see who could buy all of their back catalog first (he won, as I never bought a copy of their first album on vinyl). After talking my dad into taking me to the record store for my birthday to get Sheer Heart Attack, he took one look at the album cover and asked why I was "listening to those queers." After explaining that all of them were either married or had girlfriends, I never had another thought that any of them could POSSIBLY be gay...until Freddie died. I took A Night at the Opera to school to listen to in band study hall, and it tended to appear on any turntable that I happened to be near.

So, yeah, they were popular in the Deep South, of all places, as Spiderbite has mentioned. Other bands that were popular with my peers and me at the time? Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, and Head East.

statcat
02-03-16, 12:31 AM
TdC0QtR_Kwc

also Love Song

JPxbKgOnho8

morriscroy
02-03-16, 10:07 AM
Or, more reasonably, a band can have more than one dimension to them and still be hard rock. Your delineations that Queen and Kiss aren't hard rock but other bands are despite doing songs that clearly aren't hard rock is both arbitrary and silly.

(More generally).

Over the years I've noticed this type of hand wringing with precise/arbitrary categorizations of musical styles, seems to be very popular among individuals who are really hardcore into less popular forms of punk rock and metal.

It's hilarious watching metal guys debate face-to-face in person offline, over what is the difference between thrash metal vs power metal, etc .... or death metal vs black metal, etc ..... :)

Hokeyboy
02-03-16, 11:16 AM
Look is Queen a hard rock band? NO QUESTION. To refute that is gleeful ignorance or just trying to be nudgenik.

But is Queen also more than a hard rock band? Certainly. They dabbled in pop, dance, prog, proto-metal, folk, dance hall, funk, new wave, Broadway-styled showtunes, etc. Queen was probably one of THE most stylistically versatile bands to ever come down the pike.

TerryW
02-03-16, 01:45 PM
I loved "Killer Queen" and bought the single back in 1974 (I was 7). I wasn't even aware of the band I just heard it on the radio and wanted to own it. The next time I was interested was when I heard "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions." A friend of mine down the street was a fan and owned the News Of The World record so I would hang out over there and listen to it non-stop. He tried playing other albums like Queen II but I didn't like it very much (it has since become one of my favorites of theirs). Jazz I missed somehow.

In 1979, I remember when Queen released the advanced single, "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" to radio and I loved it. I bought The Game as soon as it came out and played it to death. Loved every song. Still do. I also bought the Greatest Hits record that came out in 1981 with the new track. "Under Pressure."

The next song that was on the air was "Body Language." I absolutely hated this song. It also didn't help that the video was banned from MTV. After that was the song/video for 'Radio Ga Ga." I didn't hate it but didn't love it either. Next, was their appearance at Live Aid in 1985. Brilliant performance. In 1986, we heard One Vision which was back to form.

In 1989, "I Want It All" was released from The Miracle. I bought this CD immediately and had it in non-stop rotation in my car. Loved 99% of it. Next was Headlong from Innuendo (1991). Another great track. Also bought the CD and played it to death. The title track being perhaps the best thing they've ever recorded.

When Freddie died I was devastated. In 1992, I watched the tribute concert on MTV with delight and shed many tears. I wasn't real thrilled with the Made In Heaven release from 1995 but the final tribute single, "No-One But You (Only The Good Die Young)" was fantastic as the last Queen song and very emotional.

Starting in the early 1990's I began to finally listen to all of their albums in their entirety. The band is so good at crafting records. How the songs flow into one another is wonderful. I was more surprised once I started listening to the albums from the 1980's because of the mostly bad singles that were released to promote them.

Like every other band, Queen tried to incorporate their sound with what was going on trend-wise. Hot Space was a very dance-oriented record yet still has some great songs like "Staying Power," "Back Chat," "Action This Day," "Put Out The Fire," "Life Is Real," "Las Palabras de Amor" and "Under Pressure."

The Works was a more traditional rock record with nearly every track being a standout even the B-Side, "I Go Crazy" is phenomenal.

A Kind Of Magic was mostly a soundtrack to Highlander with greats as "One Vision," "Friends Will Be Friends," "Who Wants To Live Forever," "Gimme The Prize" and "Princes Of The Universe."

The Miracle starts off with two great tracks that run together, "Party/Khashoggi's Ship." The only two weak songs for me are "Rain Must Fall" and "My Baby Does Me," yet there's still wonderful music there.

Innuendo has the very strong opening title track and closing number, "The Show Must Go On." Otherwise the album is a bit uneven but I still listen to it often.

I don't think bands should be categorized. Rock is pretty vague. Michael Jackson's "Beat It" has a great guitar solo by Eddie Van Halen.

I never really thought about whether Queen was cool or not. My friends and I liked them. That was good enough for me.

Mikael79
02-03-16, 04:04 PM

No wonder your parents hated Queen - they blamed them for you being in junior high and high school for 11 years!! :)

Spiderbite
02-03-16, 04:14 PM
No wonder your parents hated Queen - they blamed them for you being in junior high and high school for 11 years!! :)

Haha. Yeah. I guess that does look funny the way I typed it.

Nobody made fun of me in elementary school because nobody really knew who Queen was. Everyone was into Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Van Halen, etc. Man, all those buttons on blue jean jackets!

hdnmickey
02-03-16, 04:26 PM
In 1989, "I Want It All" was released from The Miracle. I bought this CD immediately and had it in non-stop rotation in my car. Loved 99% of it. Next was Headlong from Innuendo (1991). Another great track. Also bought the CD and played it to death. The title track being perhaps the best thing they've ever recorded.

Glad to see at least one other person appreciate that era.

Hokeyboy
02-03-16, 04:31 PM
A Kind Of Magic was mostly a soundtrack to Highlander with greats as "One Vision," "Friends Will Be Friends," "Who Wants To Live Forever," "Gimme The Prize" and "Princes Of The Universe."
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/hokeyboy/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsebbhgdi8.jpeg

Spiderbite
02-03-16, 05:04 PM
Glad to see at least one other person appreciate that era.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed The Miracle and Innuendo but those two albums have some truly bad songs. I still like them because I was a Queen fanatic at the time, but I had to convince myself that the albums were better than they actually were to keep up my fandom.

Some of the the songs either sounded like they were trying to hard to gain...well...I don't know what. And then other songs' lyrics were just plain out horrible. Both of the albums were a letdown for me after It's a Kind Of Magic which I always thought was strong.

Supermallet
02-03-16, 08:36 PM
Innuendo is one of their better latter day albums. The Miracle has some great songs and some serious crap. A Kind of Magic is pretty consistent, but with an absolutely awful album cover. The Works is so bad, don't even get me started. Queen's worst record by far.

Perkinsun Dzees
02-04-16, 05:35 AM
I bought News of the World when it first came out and played it repeatedly, so yeah, back then Queen was considered super cool. Then they went commercial big time with "Bicycle" and "Fat Bottomed Girls" which got tons of airplay, but were still considered pretty hip at the time.

Then the punk and new wave movements hit and they bit the dust in terms of popularity among me and my friends. They were now basically relics of the past, churning out popular MTV videos, but part of the boring, mainstream music scene and no longer even remotely interesting to our hipster circle.

Never cared for "Under Pressure" when it first came out (probably overhyped at the time), but have come to really appreciate it in recent years.

And the poster who said that music fans of the time didn't know Freddie Mercury was gay, yes on that too. Back then, people couldn't imagine that anyone into rock could possibly be gay. Seems ludicrous now, but it was true. Even in the 90s, I was having an argument with a co-worker.

Eh, Tom Robinson was openly gay (at the time, at least) and rocked as hard as The Clash in the late 70s/early 80s. Of course, most Queen fans in the U.S. probably never even heard of TR, so yeah it's quite possible that they remained in the dark about Freddie's sexual preferences.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0