Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

.800 COM - Do thay have a refer-a-friend scheme? I'm a new customer.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

.800 COM - Do thay have a refer-a-friend scheme? I'm a new customer.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-00, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one interested in refering me if they do indeed have such a scheme.

If not, does any one know of a coupon for use for first time buyers.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-00, 07:31 AM

I dont think they have a refer a friend thingy but if you check their website I think their 20 off 100 coupon still exists.
Old 09-23-00, 09:05 AM

just be carefull when buying DVDs from them. I just bought RPM and Army of Darkness DC from them which their website lists has DD 5.1 sound, both versions I received have 2.0 sound. So, I now own 2 very boring movies which I may never even open. (Note: this may be corrected by the time you read this as I have just e-mailed them to bitch at them)

I would have thought they would be the most accurate since they are also a home audio store. And the fact that they are one of the only websites who correctly lists Desperado (El Mariachi version) as having 5.1 sound.

Old 09-23-00, 06:39 PM

quote:<HR>(Note: this may be corrected by the time you read this as I have just e-mailed them to bitch at them)
[/B]<HR>

The bitching probably isn't necessary. They generally get high marks for their customer service...
Old 09-23-00, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Moving to On Line Store forum
Old 09-23-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mitchell_the_CSR:
just be carefull when buying DVDs from them. I just bought RPM and Army of Darkness DC from them which their website lists has DD 5.1 sound, both versions I received have 2.0 sound. So, I now own 2 very boring movies which I may never even open. <HR>

Wow, you only watch movies if they have DD 5.1? I feel sorry for you...

Old 09-23-00, 06:56 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LBPound23:
Wow, you only watch movies if they have DD 5.1? I feel sorry for you...

<HR>

Obviously someone who dosen't have a Home theater system. .....but I think my point wasn't properly noted. I am happy to get 2.0 movies, but I refuse to pay over $7-8 on them. The movies I purchased were noted as having 5.1 sound in the item description, hence I paid top dollar for something that should have been cheaper.
Old 09-23-00, 08:31 PM

I just bought RPM and Army of Darkness DC from them which their website lists has DD 5.1 sound, both versions I received have 2.0 sound. So, I now own 2 very boring movies which I may never even open...<HR>

I know great sound can help make a poor movie a little more enjoyable, but the movie itself is still poor (or "very boring"). Hopefully you don't buy a movie just for the sound. There are plenty of great movies with great sound.

Wow, you only watch movies if they have DD 5.1? I feel sorry for you...<HR>

Obviously someone who dosen't have a Home theater system...<HR>

Actually he probably has one and has had it for a while. On the other hand, you may have just purchased or are still getting off on listening to the great sound. And that's ok, we've all gone through that phase, where when a friend comes over we pop in the best looking/best sounding DVD and rock the house. It's just that some of us get past it and get back to the movies. Which in my opinion is more important than the sound. I'd rather watch a great movie with poor sound, than a crappy movie in 5.1!
Old 09-23-00, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally I would rather watch a great movie with great sound. But that's just me.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-23-00, 09:40 PM

I have had my 5.1 system for 2 years now, I still like sound the best so you can throw your theory out the window. It makes the crappy movies a whole lot better. And considering the majority of movies are crap, the 5.1 takes some of the heat off of it. Imagine Godzilla, Twister, and Dantes Peak without 5.1 sound. I Hated all 3 the first time I watched them on VHS, but on DVD its much different. The bottom line is great sound can make a bad movie quite good.

Also, improving the video alone would never in a million years allow DVD to put VHS out of business.

Any movie that does not have 5.1 or better sound is a ripoff if the stores have the nerve to charge regular prices. Which is my main point which nobody here has the brains to figure out. 800.com is selling the 2 movies I mentioned as having 5.1 sound which they do not have, that is called false advertising. How would you like to buy a new 900Mhz computer only to get home and find out it is 600Mhz. Sure, it still may be a great computer but its not what you paid for. Those same DVDs at a lesser price and noted correctly would be fine. There are 3 parts to a DVD movie that I look for: Content, Sound, and Visuals. Without the latter 2 you might as well save yourself some bucks and buy it on VHS.

and this comment:
"I'd rather watch a great movie with poor sound, than a crappy movie in 5.1!"

I totally agree, but the problem is there just aren't that many great movies. Also note the movies I talked about (RPM and Army of Darkness). Both of which are very crappy movies which 5.1 would have helped a lot. We all watch crappy movies, why not watch them in the highest quality possible. Isn't that what DVD is all about?

Old 09-23-00, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my 5.1 system for 2 years now, I still like sound the best so you can throw your theory out the window. It makes the crappy movies a whole lot better. And considering the majority of movies are crap, the 5.1 takes some of the heat off of it. Imagine Godzilla, Twister, and Dantes Peak without 5.1 sound. I Hated all 3 the first time I watched them on VHS, but on DVD its much different. The bottom line is great sound can make a bad movie quite good.

Also, improving the video alone would never in a million years allow DVD to put VHS out of business.

Any movie that does not have 5.1 or better sound is a ripoff if the stores have the nerve to charge regular prices. Which is my main point which nobody here has the brains to figure out. 800.com is selling the 2 movies I mentioned as having 5.1 sound which they do not have, that is called false advertising. How would you like to buy a new 900Mhz computer only to get home and find out it is 600Mhz. Sure, it still may be a great computer but its not what you paid for. Those same DVDs at a lesser price and noted correctly would be fine. There are 3 parts to a DVD movie that I look for: Content, Sound, and Visuals. Without the latter 2 you might as well save yourself some bucks and buy it on VHS.

and this comment:
"I'd rather watch a great movie with poor sound, than a crappy movie in 5.1!"

I totally agree, but the problem is there just aren't that many great movies. Also note the movies I talked about (RPM and Army of Darkness). Both of which are very crappy movies which 5.1 would have helped a lot. We all watch crappy movies, why not watch them in the highest quality possible. Isn't that what DVD is all about?

<HR>

While I know this is now steadily proceeding off the original topic, I just can't really agree that DD 5.1 makes a bad movie better. After I see a movie, I say "that was very well made" or "that sucked". I don't say, "well I didn't care for the movie, but it sounded great." Sure a nice sound mix won't hurt a movie, but no matter of good technology can make a poor story better (isn't that Pixar's motto? )

Also, your point about clearer picture not being enough to convert VHS fans to DVD. I got started with DVD more based on picture quality than sound. In fact, the video quality (OAR) and extras were the two most important factors in getting onto the DVD craze. So your assumption is not entirely correct.

Old 09-23-00, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mitchell_the_CSR,
I think you will find yourself in the minority on this issue. If you feel that way fine. Personally I don't think what you said makes any sense. I am sorry, but no matter how goodthe sound is, if the film is bad then it's just plain bad.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 09-23-00, 11:40 PM

While I know this is now steadily proceeding off the original topic, I just can't really agree that DD 5.1 makes a bad movie better. After I see a movie, I say "that was very well made" or "that sucked". I don't say, "well I didn't care for the movie, but it sounded great." Sure a nice sound mix won't hurt a movie, but no matter of good technology can make a poor story better (isn't that Pixar's motto? )
<HR>

This is where we differ. House on Haunted Hill is the first that comes to my mind. Sounded great, movie sucked. Wouldn't be worth watching on VHS. Its Watchable on DVD though.

Also, your point about clearer picture not being enough to convert VHS fans to DVD. I got started with DVD more based on picture quality than sound. In fact, the video quality (OAR) and extras were the two most important factors in getting onto the DVD craze. So your assumption is not entirely correct.

<HR>

Nor is your assumtion that I only watch a movie if it has 5.1 sound. I was mearly stating that if a online store says a movie has 5.1 sound, i expect it to when I receive it. I personally bought my DVD player for the same reasons, not knowing anything about sound. But its the sound that keeps me purchasing movies on DVD than VHS now that I know the difference.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
Mitchell_the_CSR,
I think you will find yourself in the minority on this issue. If you feel that way fine. Personally I don't think what you said makes any sense. I am sorry, but no matter how goodthe sound is, if the film is bad then it's just plain bad.

<HR>

What doesn't make sense? All I really said is 5.1 sounds better than 2.0. Basicly, if given the choice between a crappy movie with crappy sound and a crappy movie with great sound, i choose the crappy with great sound. I along with you would rather have a great movie with great sound. Theres not that many movies out there without 5.1 sound so this isn't much to talk about. If you have a different opinion than me thats fine, my beef is with false advertising on 800.coms website. If they would have said they were 2.0s', then I would have passed them up for that price.
Old 09-24-00, 01:40 AM

Mitchell, I too like 5.1. I make sure I look at that before I buy it. If the movie is priced pretty high I won't buy it if it is in mono or 2.0. I think the only movies I own out of my 67 that are not 5.1 are a Scooby Doo one and the Shining.
Old 09-24-00, 01:57 AM

Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone. Almost every single DVD is 5.1 anyway, I'm guessing thats how 800.com screwed up. They assumed just because Army of darkness and RPM were recently released, that they would have 5.1 sound. I am up around 70 DVDs, I have some 2.0s. My Criterions Robocop and Silence of the Lambs, Vacation, The Burbs, Beyond The Mat and Prince of Darkness. But I knew they were 2.0 in advance before I purchased them, hence I waited until I could get them dirt cheap.