Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supergirl (S1E10) -- "Childish Things" -- 1/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Supergirl (S1E10) -- "Childish Things" -- 1/18/16

KARA DOES HER BEST TO SUPPORT WINN WHEN HIS FATHER, THE SUPERVILLAIN TOYMAN, BREAKS OUT OF PRISON, ON "SUPERGIRL," MONDAY, JAN. 18

"Childish Things" - Kara does her best to support Winn when his father, the supervillain Toyman, breaks out of prison and seeks out his son for unknown reasons. Also, Cat offers Lucy a job at CatCo and Alex asks Hank to use his powers to help uncover Maxwell Lord's plans, on SUPERGIRL, Monday, Jan. 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Henry Czerny guest stars as Winslow Schott, Sr., aka Toyman.

REGULAR CAST:

Melissa Benoist (Kara Danvers/Supergirl)
Calista Flockhart (Cat Grant)
Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers)
Mehcad Brooks (James Olsen)
David Harewood (Hank Henshaw)
Jeremy Jordan (Winslow "Winn" Schott)
RECURRING CAST:

Peter Facinelli (Maxwell Lord)
Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Lucy Lane)
Tristin Mays (Paulina)
GUEST CAST:

Chris Jai Alex (Guard #1)
David Salsa (Guard #2)
Henry Czerny (Winslow Schott, Sr./Toyman)
Isaac Keys (Guard #3)
Bruno Amato (Security Guard)
Kavita Patil (Doctor)
Scott Alan Smith (Chester Dunholtz)
Emma Caulfield (Agent Cameron Chase)
Hope Lauren (Comatose Woman)

STORY BY: Yahlin Chang

TELEPLAY BY: Anna Musky-Goldwyn and James DeWille

BASED ON: The Characters Appearing in the DC Comics

DIRECTED BY: Jamie Babbit

Episode 10 of 20
Old 01-18-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Supergirl (S1E10) -- "Childish Things" -- 1/18/16

So is everyone on this show an alien or related to one?
Old 01-18-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Tricky Max.
Old 01-18-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Thought Toyman was a villain that they could have gone a little more broad with. Instead, he was kind of dull. Henry Czerny seemed like an odd choice.
Old 01-18-16, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thought Toyman was a villain that they could have gone a little more broad with. Instead, he was kind of dull. Henry Czerny seemed like an odd choice.

It took me awhile to place him, but I'll always remember him as Conrad Grayson.
Old 01-19-16, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I was disappointed, -I, too, thought they could have gone a little "bigger" with Toyman's "persona". I mean, not "Trickster" on "The Flash" bigger, but something more colorful than a standard villain on just about any other series. I also thought the solution to the bombs was about as sketchy as what they pulled in the "Trickster" episode of "The Flash".

Last edited by DWilson; 01-19-16 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-19-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Couldn't watch this one due to a local dispute between CBS and DirectTV. Yay,
Old 01-19-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I was disappointed, -I, too, thought they could have gone a little "bigger" with Toyman's "persona". I mean, not "Trickster" on "The Flash" bigger, but something more colorful than a standard villain on just about any other series. I also thought the solution to the bombs was about as sketchy as what they pulled in the "Trickster" episode of "The Flash".
My only exposure to the Toyman prior to last night was with Challenge of the Super Friends. I did a little looking afterwards, and I guess he's a villain who has been a little all over the place in terms of interpretation.

It's funny, but I was also thinking that he didn't need to be as big as Mark Hamill, but I expected a little more. It certainly felt like a character they could have had a little more fun with. Given his association with a series regular, I assume they just didn't want that though. If they did then why hire Czerny. Whatever his strengths as an actor are, big and broad don't seem to be in his normal bag of tricks.
Old 01-19-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I missed a line. Why couldn't she just fly up out of the quicksand?
Old 01-19-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Yeah that was kinda stupid. Not very SUPER to not be able to fly out of 3 feet of quicksand. This is a being who can supposedly move buildings and fly at supersonic speeds. If people can pull themselves out of quicksand using the power of their arms, we are supposed to believe that a superpowered hero cannot generate enough upward force to escape sand??
Old 01-19-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

So Winn went for it with Kara. I wonder if he did it on purpose or was spurred on by the moment. He even dropped the 'L' bomb on her. That is hard to figure out since we really haven't gotten the in-depth characterization on Winn that we've gotten for Kara or even her sister.

Despite having been around decades as one of Superman's villains, Toyman has never really had much of an iconic look and DC has endlessly attempted to remake the character. I would say most people today know the villain from Superman: The Animated Series. He was usually portrayed as an overweight guy wearing an ugly suit of some kind. That got eliminated in the kinder, gentler PC world we live in today.

http://www.supermansupersite.com/toyman.html

Old 01-19-16, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Plot sand!

If the sand was so strong she would have just taken the entire box with her
Old 01-19-16, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't see anything PC being the issue here. Unless "not very visually interesting and kind of ridiculous looking" qualifies as PC.
Old 01-19-16, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I don't see anything PC being the issue here. Unless "not very visually interesting and kind of ridiculous looking" qualifies as PC.
It was a common trope back in the day for comic book villains to be overweight, which was often shown as a moral failing on their part and confirmed their moral turpitude. It made for a definite contrast with all the perfectly fit superheroes and their outstanding moral values.

That trope fell out of favor over the years as society became far more sensitive about applying character judgments to physical attributes. That is the definition of political correctness. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-19-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It's not like they replaced him with a super svelte design:

Sometimes the definition of political correctness seems to be "Change?!?!"

Though his Challenge of the Superfriends" design was much thinner.
Old 01-19-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

"Smallville" version

Old 01-19-16, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
It took me awhile to place him, but I'll always remember him as Conrad Grayson.
I always remember him from CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER when Harrison Ford tells him, "You're going to jail!"

And Supergirl...can't you USE THE FREAKIN' DOOR sometimes? Always crashing through the ceiling for no reason.
Old 01-19-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Or just carry the whole box she was in?

J'onn must be ridiculously expensive from a VFX point of view.
Old 01-19-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this Toyman or his look. They could have dressed him up a little more but I understand why they didn't give him a cheesy suit. I actually enjoyed the sand trap more than some of the gimmicks we've seen recently from other toy-based characters.
Old 01-20-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Or just carry the whole box she was in?

I was wondering why she didn't just smash the side of the box with her strength myself. While a clever trap (for some toy maker) it didn't make much sense at all given all the solutions mentioned here already I liked seeing the early brutality with Toyman in prison, but disappointed they didn't do much with him.

I still hate the throwaway lines about being a woman like with Alex and Lord's dinner. I thought Alex was also annoyingly pushy with Hank given how she protected Kara so much before.

Liked Winn making a move and going somewhere with that relationship, including his little speeches. First time I've liked that character all series.
Old 01-20-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I don't know how expensive he is, but for this viewer, he's the best thing about this show.

I'm only familiar with Martian Manhunter from the few things I read about him here when he appeared on Smallville. This version is way better. I don't see any reason (even by comic book standards) why being from Mars would give him these powers on Earth, but I'll take it. Especially since they write Supergirl as a somewhat weakened Kryptonian at this point. Flying, walking through solid objects, erasing memory, shape shifting. More please.

I'd almost say they need a Martian Manhunter show except that I learned my lesson with Hawk on Spencer: For Hire... Some characters are just better as secondary characters.

Last edited by MikahC; 01-20-16 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Typos fix
Old 01-20-16, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking of the Manhunter, I don't get why he had to wipe that guy's entire mind. Or why he even switched to his Hank form either in that scene.
Old 01-20-16, 02:26 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I don't know how expensive he is, but for this viewer, he's the best thing about this show.

I'm only familiar with Martian Manhunter from the few things I read about him here when he appeared on Smallville. This version is way better. I don't see any reason (even by comic book standards) why being from Mars would give him these powers on Earth, but I'll take it. Especially they write Supergirl as a somewhat weakened Kryptonian at this point. Flying, walking through solid objects, erasing memory, shape shifting. More please.

I'd almost say they need a Martian Manhunter show except that I learned my lesson with Hawk on Spencer: For Hire... Some characters are just better as secondary characters.
All Martians had these powers, even on Mars. The origin of MM was he was originally pulled through both time and space- so by the time he arrived on Earth, the Martian race was already extinct for a millenia. At least that's one of his origins anyways.
Old 01-20-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
It was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad.

Yeah, I actually got a tad bit excited that they would bring in an established villain, and they totally blew it.

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Yeah that was kinda stupid. Not very SUPER to not be able to fly out of 3 feet of quicksand. This is a being who can supposedly move buildings and fly at supersonic speeds. If people can pull themselves out of quicksand using the power of their arms, we are supposed to believe that a superpowered hero cannot generate enough upward force to escape sand??
It's really no worse than the way they handle Flash's powers. I really wonder how many people that are already on the fence about watching a superhero show bail when the pull shit like quicksand or pulling bombs into a big void in the sky.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 01-20-16 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-20-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't think MM needed to mind wipe the guy either but I think the writers were gung-ho about giving him some sort of serious emotional arc.

MM can also turn invisible and phase through walls. There was little need for him to impersonate Maxwell Lord. Martian Manhunter is the quintessential team player that works better with a full ensemble of other heroes than he does on his own. DC would make him the de facto Justice League team leader whenever Batman or Superman weren't around.

I will be very disappointed if they don't drop an Oreo reference on us very soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.