TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Al Jazeera America Network shutting down in April

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Al Jazeera America Network shutting down in April

http://deadline.com/2016/01/al-jazee...il-1201682113/

After a rocky and low rated run of two and a half years, Al Jazeera America is closing down on April 30. The “decision by Al Jazeera America’s board is driven by the fact that our business model is simply not sustainable in light of the economic challenges in the U.S. media marketplace,” said the news net’s CEO Al Anstey in a memo to staff today.

A source close to events says that the top tier people at AJAM have seen the writing on the wall since late last year when key execs fled amidst lawsuits and allegations of discrimination. Probably didn’t help that AJAM ended 2015 with a tiny tiny adults 25-43 demo primetime viewership of 7,000. While going off air in the spring, Anstey’s memo says AJAM plans to grow online to “bring new global content into America.” Staff were told today in a general meeting that they will be paid and receive benefits until the end of April.

Never a real player in the cable news universe Stateside, AJAM was born out of the $500 million purchase by its government of Qatar owners of the Al Gore created Current TV in January 2013. Despite early battles with the likes of Time Warner Cable and AT&T over carriage, AJAM debuted on August 20, 2013 in around 30 million U.S. homes. With the exception of stories like recent allegations that Denver Broncos QT Peyton Manning secretly used performance-enhancing drugs, AJAM never gained any traction – except for legal battles with the former VP, scandals, staff cuts and high profile exits.

For those unaware, this is the former Current TV network that Al Gore founded before it was sold to Al Jazeera.

About a year ago or so, they completely shut down their U.S. offices and moved it to Qatar.

This is the network that recently aired a documentary accusing Peyton Manning of the Broncos of using HGH.
Old 01-13-16, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Al Jazeera America Network shutting down in April

Manning story aside, they've actually been pretty on point compared to their US counterparts. Ah well, you can't make money with neutral news.
Old 01-13-16, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Their terrorist sounding name didn't help them either. ;-)

But seriously, a lot of people I unfortunately know, thought that Al Jazeera was Al Qaeda news network. For real. The owners of this channel should have taken into consideration the appeal of their name to the American public.
Old 01-14-16, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

But seriously, a lot of people I unfortunately know, thought that Al Jazeera was Al Qaeda news network. For real. The owners of this channel should have taken into consideration the appeal of their name to the American public.
Yeah, that is the #1 reason. No one who watches news (people who consume the most amount of television news tend to be older/conservative) will watch what they assume to be "Islamist news".
Old 01-14-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Hood

Reminds me of the "Two Guys from Kabul" restaurant from the Simpsons.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/md9aFoyOOAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think a lot of Americans first heard of Al Jazeera as the network that aired Osama bin Laden's videos so I am not surprised they couldn't make it with that name here.
Old 01-14-16, 11:43 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

I'm sure that's just devastating to all their viewers. - Peyton Manning
Old 01-14-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Al Jazeera America actually is more fair and balanced then FOX and MSNBC, but the problem is people already have a bias towards it. I know many family members/friends who won't even turn the channel on once because its Al Jazeera. They should have called it something different (even though people knew it was owned by Al Jazeera) and it may have fared better.

Most of the anchors are from the CNN (before the days of FOX and MSNBC), as it felt like you were watching CNN in the 80's/90's. The other problem is my provider (Comcast) never had it in HD, so I would forget about it as it was sitting next to all of the SD channels.

Last edited by coli; 01-14-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they expanded too aggressively to begin with. The name doesn't help, but I'm not sure how much demand there is for another 24 hour news channel, particularly one that focuses on international issues. I'd be curious to see how it's ratings compare to BBC World News, which has similar market reach with a much better/established brand image in the US.

Last edited by wmansir; 01-14-16 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good. End thread.
Old 01-14-16, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

A network founded by a pretentious blowhard and sold to human traffickers is folding? Boo-hoo