David Bowie *RIP* 1947-2016 [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : David Bowie *RIP* 1947-2016

Pages : [1] 2

devilshalo
01-11-16, 01:58 AM
Legendary Artist David Bowie Dies at 69
by Mike Barnes, THR Staff 1/10/2016 10:42pm PST

David Bowie has died after a battle with cancer, his representative confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

"David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family after a courageous 18 month battle with cancer. While many of you will share in this loss, we ask that you respect the family’s privacy during their time of grief," read a statement posted on the artist's official social media accounts.

The influential singer-songwriter and producer, who dabbled in glam rock, art rock, soul, hard rock, dance pop, punk and electronica during his eclectic 40-plus-year career, died after a battle with cancer.

Bowie’s artistic breakthrough came with 1972’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, an album that fostered the notion of rock star as space alien. Fusing British mod with Japanese kabuki styles and rock with theater, Bowie created the flamboyant, androgynous alter ego Ziggy Stardust.

Three years later, Bowie achieved his first major American crossover success with the No. 1 single “Fame” off the Top 10 album Young Americans, then followed with the 1976 avant-garde art-rock LP Station to Station, which made it to No. 3 on the charts and featured Top 10 hit “Golden Years.”

Other memorable songs included 1983’s “Let’s Dance” — his only other No. 1 U.S. hit — “Space Oddity,” “Heroes,” “Changes,” “Under Pressure,” “China Girl,” “Modern Love,” “Rebel, Rebel,” “All the Young Dudes,” “Panic in Detroit,” “Fashion,” “Life on Mars” “Suffragette City” and a 1977 Christmas medley with Bing Crosby.

SEE MORE Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2015
With his different-colored eyes (the result of a schoolyard fight) and needlelike frame, Bowie was a natural to segue from music into curious movie roles, and he starred as an alien seeking help for his dying planet in Nicolas Roeg’s surreal The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). Critics later applauded his three-month Broadway stint as the misshapen lead in 1980’s The Elephant Man.

Bowie also starred in Marlene Dietrich’s last film, Just a Gigolo (1978), portrayed a World War II prisoner of war in Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence (1983), and played Pontius Pilate in Martin Scorsese’s The Last Temptation of Christ (1988). And in another groundbreaking move, Bowie, who always embraced technology, became the first rock star to morph into an Internet Service Provider with the launch in September 1998 of BowieNet.

Born David Jones in London on Jan. 8, 1947, Bowie changed his name in 1966 after The Monkees’ Davy Jones achieved stardom. He played saxophone and started a mime company, and after stints in several bands, he signed with Mercury Records, which in 1969 released his album Man of Words, Man of Music, which featured “Space Oddity,” a poignant song about an astronaut, Major Tom, spiraling out of control.

Alan Smithee
01-11-16, 02:07 AM
Someone might want to fix the subject line as he was born in 1947, not 1962. I just saw a random post on Facebook from someone saying "rip david bowie" and I thought it was either a joke or they meant something else.

joe_b
01-11-16, 02:08 AM
Damn. :(

EinCB
01-11-16, 02:08 AM
R.I.P. I should get around to listening to Black Star.

Daytripper
01-11-16, 02:09 AM
Just saw this everywhere online and came here immediately. I'm just at a loss. And I'm just so sad. I hate hearing this before going to bed. R.I.P. Mr. Bowie. You were such a huge talent and there will never ever be another like you.

Giantrobo
01-11-16, 02:19 AM
Is this real?

Throwing Copper
01-11-16, 02:20 AM
I just saw this on social media and also thought it was a sick joke. Was it known (publicly) that he was in very poor health? I don't remember seeing/reading about it before now.

Kind of in shock.

Alan Smithee
01-11-16, 02:21 AM
From the hoard:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p5ZR7qQSUQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And for those with shorter attention spans:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KvprsBL4Hr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mondo Kane
01-11-16, 02:31 AM
Did we just lose The Tall Man AND The Man Who Fell To Earth?

Perkinsun Dzees
01-11-16, 02:33 AM
RIP

There'll be no dancing in the street tonight :sad:

Ginwen
01-11-16, 02:36 AM
Bummer :(

LorenzoL
01-11-16, 02:37 AM
Very sad. :rip:

faust69
01-11-16, 02:48 AM
RIP to one of the greatest musicians who ever lived.

atxbomber
01-11-16, 03:06 AM
Damn, fucking cancer

Franchot
01-11-16, 03:13 AM
I just saw this on social media and also thought it was a sick joke. Was it known (publicly) that he was in very poor health? I don't remember seeing/reading about it before now.

Kind of in shock.

I'm shocked as well. Very unexpected.

He did have emergency heart surgery for a blocked artery about ten years ago when he was on tour. And he was a heavy smoker. He's been bit of a recluse for the last few years so maybe he was battling some type of cancer that the public didn't know about.

I saw him on tour during his Ziggy Stardust days when that album was all the rage. I didn't care much for his "disco" phase and lost interest in his work when he joined up with Tin Machine.

The last thing I saw him in was an episode of "Extras" and he was great in that.

Josh-da-man
01-11-16, 03:31 AM
Damn, we've lost Lemmy and Bowie within days of each other.

These are hitting me hard...

The Black
01-11-16, 04:57 AM
Damn, we've lost Lemmy and Bowie within days of each other.

These are hitting me hard...

Exactly the same feeling, will miss these 2 great artists.
I'm very glad I got to see Lemmy perform many times, sadly David Bowie shall remain unseen for me.

Lt Ripley
01-11-16, 05:18 AM
Is this real?

Had the same reaction reading the thread title.

auto
01-11-16, 06:52 AM
This just hit me like a ton of bricks. What a monumental loss.

Why So Blu?
01-11-16, 06:56 AM
Had to wake up for a piss break and my feed blew up. Can't go to sleep now. Looks like it's time to get Blackstar. I saw that he had been battling cancer for 18 months. I'll probably watch my CC BD of Man Who Fell to Earth now.

P.S. somebody fix the headline. It's 1947 not 1962.

dex14
01-11-16, 06:59 AM
What a kick in the dick upon waking up.

Fuck.

stvn1974
01-11-16, 07:07 AM
One of the few people that "genius" actually applies to. RIP

Hazel Motes
01-11-16, 07:22 AM
if anyone doesn't feel like crying right now I'd steer clear of the Heroes music video.

bluetoast
01-11-16, 07:26 AM
Awful news. Listened to Blackstar on Saturday. From Uncle Arthur to Blackstar, he will be deeply missed.

Throwing Copper
01-11-16, 07:48 AM
I'm sure we've all had at least a family member or friend who has died from cancer. I hate to sound this way, but I'm getting really tired of all the money and fund raising events we throw at this with still no "cure."

It is just really hard for me to believe with all the research, money, medical geniuses out there, that there is still not much progress, other than having people and their families break the fucking bank just to stay "alive" a little while longer, all while feeling like shit.

Rant over. Tired of this shit.

RIP - David Bowie. :(

astrochimp
01-11-16, 07:50 AM

Fuck.

Seriously.

Heard it in my car on the way to work. Felt like I'd been shot.

:rip: David Bowie <== Can't even believe I'm typing that :(

Ash Ketchum
01-11-16, 08:02 AM
The print edition of today's New York Times has a piece in its Arts, Briefly section entitled, "Saluting David Bowie at Carnegie Hall," that opens this way:

It's a good time to be David Bowie. He just celebrated his 69th birthday, released an album, "Blackstar," and has a show, "Lazarus," running Off Broadway. Now he is to be honored at Carnegie Hall with a concert featuring the Roots, Cyndi Lauper and the Mountain Goats.

This piece is not on the Times website.

inri222
01-11-16, 08:29 AM
One of the few people that "genius" actually applies to. RIP

:up:

JasonF
01-11-16, 08:30 AM
I'm just speechless. What a monumental loss.

B.A.
01-11-16, 08:37 AM

Fuck.

My exact thoughts when I read the news a few hours ago.

I remember delving into much of his early catalog when I was in college and realizing how influential he was on those came along after.

B.A.
01-11-16, 08:38 AM
http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/2541357/original/?width=500&version=2541357

B.A.
01-11-16, 08:40 AM
If anyone is interested - his last album, "Blackstar", was released a few days ago, and it is available for streaming on Amazon Prime Music.

Jaymole
01-11-16, 08:40 AM
Very sad news...an incredible talent.

Why So Blu?
01-11-16, 08:45 AM
if anyone is interested - his last album, "blackbird", was released a few days ago, and it is available for streaming on amazon prime music.

blackstar

Geofferson
01-11-16, 08:46 AM
Well, damn. :( I too didn't realize he was in such poor health. Looking forward to giving Blackbird a listen.

inri222
01-11-16, 08:49 AM
This really fucking sucks. Haven't felt an impact this strong from someone famous dying since Joe Strummer.

Lt Ripley
01-11-16, 08:52 AM
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

CRM114
01-11-16, 08:55 AM
No words. Huge loss. The world is worse today.

rexinnih
01-11-16, 09:10 AM
Shocked and still in denial. Huge Bowie fan who helped turn me on to music period. Such a legacy to have. RIP Bowie.

cungar
01-11-16, 09:17 AM
Ever since I saw it on my Phone at 4 AM all I hear in my head is "I'm a Blackstar, I'm a Blackstar".

auto
01-11-16, 09:24 AM
Where the fuck did Monday go?

CRM114
01-11-16, 09:25 AM
Ever since I saw it on my Phone at 4 AM all I hear in my head is "I'm a Blackstar, I'm a Blackstar".

Right? What a swan song. The guy was a genius until the end.

B.A.
01-11-16, 09:29 AM
blackstarMy bad, thanks.

hdnmickey
01-11-16, 10:00 AM
Very few get to go out like Bowie did with Blackstar. A true legend.

Love that gif above that shows just how drastically he re-invented himself over the years and still had success is pretty much every era. I always have a hard time deciding which I like the best.

GoVegan
01-11-16, 10:06 AM
What horrible news to start the day. I'm glad I finally got to see him for the first time on his last tour.

Nick Danger
01-11-16, 10:09 AM
Wow. I didn't expect that. :(

dex14
01-11-16, 10:18 AM
The print edition of today's New York Times has a piece in its Arts, Briefly section entitled, "Saluting David Bowie at Carnegie Hall," that opens this way:

This piece is not on the Times website.

Tickets for this go onsale this morning: http://www.musicof.org/

GuessWho
01-11-16, 10:24 AM
Tickets for this go onsale this morning: http://www.musicof.org/with this new addition:

The unexpected death of David Bowie has made this tribute to him into a memorial concert. While the series has had the surprise appearances and performances of the honoree several times in the past, this one will certainly become a poignant honor of his music by his friends, peers, and fans. We are all deeply saddened at this news, the timing of our public on-sale bizarre in its timing, and the show is taking on many more emotions. RIP David and may gods love be with you...

Supermallet
01-11-16, 10:36 AM
Bowie was my favorite musician. I am completely devastated by this loss. No one could do what Bowie did as well as he did it. A true genius. RIP.

Ringmaster
01-11-16, 10:37 AM
I thought he was one of those guys that was going to live forever. Fuck Cancer. :rip:

The video for "Where Are We Now?" brought tears to my eyes.

Decker
01-11-16, 10:44 AM
Shocking and incredibly sad news.
I just got my daughter into Bowie in the past few months and she's really digging his music now. It's timeless and brilliant.

wishbone
01-11-16, 10:49 AM
I didn't believe it when I read it online. His music and legacy will always be with us.

hdnmickey
01-11-16, 10:56 AM
All this reminded me that I was going to search out the two Tin Machine albums. Really hard to find, but worth the effort.

cdollaz
01-11-16, 11:09 AM
They really kept his illness under wraps. The timing of the new album is curious. I wonder if he was planning it before his diagnosis or if it was his parting gift to the world knowing time was short.

Either way, it sucks and is a total shocker.

slop101
01-11-16, 11:12 AM
Geniuses are usually assholes, but Bowie was one of the rare true geniuses that was also a kind and sweet person, a class act all the way.

His run of albums through the '70s is unparalleled.

cungar
01-11-16, 11:14 AM
They really kept his illness under wraps. The timing of the new album is curious. I wonder if he was planning it before his diagnosis or if it was his parting gift to the world knowing time was short.

Either way, it sucks and is a total shocker.

He was diagnosed 18 months ago so he almost certainly knew it was probably his last.

CRM114
01-11-16, 11:17 AM
Given the title, I'm sure he knew it was his farewell.

It explains his total lack of interest in a tour despite his greatest critical success in years.

story
01-11-16, 11:20 AM
My wife is a huge David Bowie fan. I read this sad news here last night just before bed, decided to tell her in the morning before she opened social media. She just plain lost it.

When we first met ten years ago, Bowie's music was one of the first things she made sure to tell me was special to her. Not just the music, tbough, but what the man stood for, his influence on so many creative people, and she has loved Labyrinth since she was a little girl, too. She didn't have an easy childhood or teen years and, as many young people use music as part of their "escape," Bowie was a big part of hers. We're going to show Labyrinth to our oldest daughter this weekend.

The man transcended and reinvented himself with integrity and grace throughout his life. My prayer is that last night, he did the same, one last time. "Check ignition and may God's love be with you... two... one... liftoff..."

Pointyskull
01-11-16, 11:30 AM
Given the title, I'm sure he knew it was his farewell.

Check out the video for 'Lazarus'.
It's a beautiful, Bowie-cool farewell from a man who knew he was dying...

mndtrp
01-11-16, 11:38 AM
Not many artists change their sound and image with (almost) every release, let alone have success. His influence and iconic status was legendary, and his music will carry it all on.

Mabuse
01-11-16, 11:38 AM
Geniuses are usually assholes, but Bowie was one of the rare true geniuses that was also a kind and sweet person, a class act all the way.

His run of albums through the '70s is unparalleled.

Well said and so true. So many rock stars are always brooding because smiling wouldn't be cool or something. Bowie could smile from ear to ear and still come off looking cool.

cungar
01-11-16, 11:44 AM

I heard a heart wrenching interview on British Radio this morning where he talked about his fear of death and leaving his daughter behind. It was hard to listen to at this point.

CRM114

Ugh, it'll be tough.

Glad I work in an office of cool people. We are spanning the decades of Bowie music today. On now, Up The Hill Backwards.

hdnmickey
Well said and so true. So many rock stars are always brooding because smiling wouldn't be cool or something. Bowie could smile from ear to ear and still come off looking cool.

It helps that he was extremely good looking. Many of those stars that never smile look worse when they do so.

JasonF
01-11-16, 11:59 AM
I saw a note on Twitter. It was actually posted yesterday, before Bowie died. It simply read: If you're ever sad, think about the fact that the Earth is billions of years old and you're alive at the same time as David Bowie.

Think about it. Thousands of years of civilization, hundreds of thousands of years of human beings, billions of years of life on Earth. We only get to experience the most miniscule slice of it. And your miniscule slice overlapped with David Bowie.

Leonardo DaVinci never experienced David Bowie. George Washington never experienced David Bowie. Genghis Khan carved out one of the largest empires the world has ever known but he never got to experience David Bowie.

And the people of the future -- the kids being born today, or next week, or next year, or a thousand years from now -- they will get to experience David Bowie, but not the way we did. They won't get to see him reinvent himself, and reinvent music, time and again. They won't get to wonder what he will do next. They won't get to hear a new Bowie album and listen to something entirely unlike what he had done before.

In many ways, the natural order of the universe is for there to be no David Bowie. What an immense privilege to have been herre for the brief period when that wasn't the case.

Ky-Fi
01-11-16, 12:22 PM
One of my favorites as well. And unlike a lot of other artists with a theatrical, flamboyant image, when you strip all that away with Bowie you actually have an incredibly skilled, subtle, creative, brilliant songwriter underneath.

Jaymole
01-11-16, 12:31 PM
Just wanted to post the video of my favorite Bowie song. I've been listening to his music all morning at work.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6VrqCBsbeuc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

islandclaws
01-11-16, 12:36 PM
Few deaths have hit me like this one. When I discovered Bowie, it was like hearing music for the first time. His sounds, his styles, his acting, his candor... I am with everyone else in that he really seemed to be immortal. And in some ways, I suppose, he is. He went out with a bang - Blackstar is fantastic - and he leaves an immeasurable body of work. Such a loss.

Talkin2Phil
01-11-16, 12:38 PM
Here are the opening lines of Lazarus:

Look up here, I’m in heaven
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
Everybody knows me now

I have so much respect that he and his loved ones kept his dying of cancer private. Always changing, now he is giving his persona of his afterlife, amazing.

cungar
01-11-16, 12:48 PM
My first memory of his music hitting me hard was at my high school dances in 1979. John I'm Only Dancing and TVC15 were played constantly at our dances. I remember wondering what TVC15 meant. Thinking it was some kind of code. My brother had the Diamond Dogs album and that cover always tripped me out. Especially when we were rolling joints on the open sleeve.

Why So Blu?
01-11-16, 12:58 PM
Here are the opening lines of Lazarus:

Look up here, I’m in heaven
I’ve got scars that can’t be seen
I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen
Everybody knows me now

I have so much respect that he and his loved ones kept his dying of cancer private. Always changing, now he is giving his persona of his afterlife, amazing.

Even his son was actively posting on Twitter right up until it was announced.

nando820
01-11-16, 01:17 PM
RIP to one of the greatest musicians who ever lived.
I used to listen to "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust" over and over while i was in college, and even when I started writing songs I remember trying (unsuccessful) to sing like he did.
Extremely sad news
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-oQO-kGU2lA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

majorjoe23
01-11-16, 01:19 PM
This sucks. The "major" in my username was inspired by "Space Oddity." At my 10-year college reunion a bunch of the organizers assumed I was in the military, due to an email that's similar to my username.

No, I'm just a David Bowie fan.

atxbomber
01-11-16, 01:26 PM
I saw a note on Twitter. It was actually posted yesterday, before Bowie died. It simply read: If you're ever sad, think about the fact that the Earth is billions of years old and you're alive at the same time as David Bowie.

Think about it. Thousands of years of civilization, hundreds of thousands of years of human beings, billions of years of life on Earth. We only get to experience the most miniscule slice of it. And your miniscule slice overlapped with David Bowie.

Leonardo DaVinci never experienced David Bowie. George Washington never experienced David Bowie. Genghis Khan carved out one of the largest empires the world has ever known but he never got to experience David Bowie.

And the people of the future -- the kids being born today, or next week, or next year, or a thousand years from now -- they will get to experience David Bowie, but not the way we did. They won't get to see him reinvent himself, and reinvent music, time and again. They won't get to wonder what he will do next. They won't get to hear a new Bowie album and listen to something entirely unlike what he had done before.

In many ways, the natural order of the universe is for there to be no David Bowie. What an immense privilege to have been herre for the brief period when that wasn't the case.

love this post

Drexl
01-11-16, 01:32 PM
Wow, I just found out. This is terrible news. RIP.

x22swFn52Ng

dom56
01-11-16, 01:43 PM
Music world lost a legend. RIP David Bowie. :(

dave94
01-11-16, 02:20 PM
Some touching and heartbreaking posts on Iman's Twitter.

@The_Real_IMAN

onebyone
01-11-16, 02:37 PM
When I found this out at work last nigt, I just straight dropped my phone. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. The Lazarus video should've prepared us I guess, but it still felt like a right hook. Definitely one of the all time greats.

PhantomStranger
01-11-16, 02:44 PM
Rest in peace, Ziggy Stardust. He made interesting music for several decades but I still rank The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars as one of the five best Rock albums ever made.

B5Erik
01-11-16, 02:56 PM
I've never been a big Bowie fan, but I like some of his songs and can recognize and respect his immense talent and huge impact on popular music. Very sad to see him gone too soon.

Sadly both Mick Ronson and Trevor Bolder are gone as well. Spiders From Mars apparently don't have long lives, unfortunately.

VHS?
01-11-16, 03:07 PM
Another legend that cannot and never will be replaced.
Not many artists are in my 'this sucks and really saddens me' list, but along RJD is David Bowie.
So many great albums and songs. I have to think at least every generation knows his music.

My Daughter told me this morning when she woke me up to get them off to school. One of her favorite movies is Labyrinth. She watches it constantly even to this day at 16yrs old. I've had her listen to his music and it's nice to see a kid in this day and age appreciate good music.

I was amazed that he was able to kept this illness a secret. I had no idea he was in bad health.

CRM114
01-11-16, 03:08 PM
OK, my favorite Bowie song right now.

Songs Of The Silent Age

A6dN57MNLqg

B5Erik
01-11-16, 03:13 PM
Bowie, Dio, Jon Lord, Eric Carr, Trevor Bolder, Lemmy... Cancer is a bitch.

I can relate to how Bowie fans feel today. I'm still not over Ronnie James Dio's death almost 6 years ago. :(

CRM114
01-11-16, 03:13 PM
Another legend that cannot and never will be replaced.
Not many artists are in my 'this sucks and really saddens me' list, but along RJD is David Bowie.
So many great albums and songs. I have to think at least every generation knows his music.

My Daughter told me this morning when she woke me up to get them off to school. One of her favorite movies is Labyrinth. She watches it constantly even to this day at 16yrs old. I've had her listen to his music and it's nice to see a kid in this day and age appreciate good music.

I was amazed that he was able to kept this illness a secret. I had no idea he was in bad health.

It blows when the artist seemingly has more to offer.

Lennon
Jerry
Bowie

These guys have real effects on ordinary people.

slop101
01-11-16, 03:16 PM
Sadly both Mick Ronson and Trevor Bolder are gone as well. Spiders From Mars apparently don't have long lives, unfortunately.
And also Stevie Ray Vaughn, not a SFM, but lead guitar on the Let's Dance album. And while still alive, put those guitarists together with guys like Fripp, Belew, among others, and I'd say Bowie had the best taste in guitarist, and knew exactly who's style to match to the style of music he created.

slop101
01-11-16, 03:21 PM
It blows when the artist seemingly has more to offer.

Lennon
Jerry
Bowie

These guys have real effects on ordinary people.I think the biggest loss, "gone too soon" as far as not quite peaking and still so much left to offer was Otis Redding. And of course Hendrix.

CRM114
01-11-16, 03:40 PM
Usually, you wouldn't put a 69 year old rock star on the "more to offer" list but Bowie had an aesthetic that only got better with age and he never sold out (except for the Let's Dance period which he did by design).

Giantrobo
01-11-16, 03:45 PM
Man, Bowie was one of the first music artists I ever LOVED. I mean damn, he was the first artists I became a fan off. I started loving him when i was a kid back in the late 70's. Everything about him, his visual style, music, voice, etc just "Clicked" with me even at that young age.

I'm speechless...

slop101
01-11-16, 03:48 PM
Maybe I just have cool friends, but for all the time I've been on facebook, there hasn't been a single event that has gotten as many posts on my personal FB feed as Bowie's passing has.

Spiderbite
01-11-16, 04:12 PM
I never was a fan so I am curious what 3 albums are must-listens of his?

I have heard all the singles but I am more of an album person. What are the must three albums I should Spotify?

islandclaws
01-11-16, 04:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust, Low, "Heroes"... but those are just my preferences. You really can't go wrong with any of his albums.

Dan
01-11-16, 04:27 PM
Even his son was actively posting on Twitter right up until it was announced.

Yeah. In the last year or so, he's shared a few random Dad memories/photos from years ago, but never with any hint that something bigger was going on. It must've been so hard for all of them.

Damn.

mbrunet
01-11-16, 04:37 PM

I have heard all the singles but I am more of an album person. What are the must three albums I should Spotify?

Bowie's passing brings this long-time lurker and huge Bowie fan out of hiding. Bowie's prodigious quality output, and his ability to change styles from album to album, means that you'll probably get a lot of different answers to this question because his music can appeal to so many different tastes. From my perspective, I'd recommend these three:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972) - Relatively early (still 5 albums in) Bowie after his folk period. You've probably heard most of it without realizing it.

Heroes (1977) - My favorite of his "Berlin trilogy" (along with Low and Lodger). Probably not many songs that you've heard beyond the title song, but since you're an album person, this has a lot of great deep cuts.

Heathen (2002) - My favorite of Bowie's "recent" albums, although the two most recent (the Next Day and Blackstar) are great as well.

There are a lot of terrific Bowie albums before, in between, and after the ones above. Hopefully these or others will be the "gateway" to discovering an amazing artist.

grundle
01-11-16, 04:40 PM
R. I. P.

Mike86
01-11-16, 04:45 PM
Truthfully I know who he was and that he was hugely influential but I'm not terribly familiar with most of his music. Still though I recognize that its a pretty big loss for the industry as a whole. RIP..

slop101
01-11-16, 04:52 PM
The last picture taken of Bowie, on his birthday, 1/08/16, two days before his passing.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10271477_1024918967574342_4198690073135029269_n.jpg?oh=edd6ab05ddc7fe1e4a806420223e247b&oe=5705BC90

TomOpus
01-11-16, 04:55 PM
Maybe I just have cool friends, but for all the time I've been on facebook, there hasn't been a single event that has gotten as many posts on my personal FB feed as Bowie's passing has.

I will add Twitter and Instagram to FB. It's all blowing up Bowie.

Hokeyboy
01-11-16, 05:02 PM
I have entirely too many emotions and not enough words right now.

But I will share one of my favorite collaborations, between him and Adrian Belew, from 1990, <em>Pretty Pink Rose</em>. Cheesy video, but such a great tune:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/neU4oYqVg9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

stvn1974
01-11-16, 05:04 PM
With Lou Reed and Bowie gone that just leaves Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen left in my top 5. And they aren't exactly spring chickens.

auto
01-11-16, 05:12 PM
Funny you mention Dylan. As I've reflected on this throughout the day, I've thought several times that only Dylan's passing will match the sadness I feel over Bowie's. Just a rough day.

auto
01-11-16, 05:12 PM
The last picture taken of Bowie, on his birthday, 1/08/16, two days before his passing.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10271477_1024918967574342_4198690073135029269_n.jpg?oh=edd6ab05ddc7fe1e4a806420223e247b&oe=5705BC90

I love this.

cungar
01-11-16, 05:18 PM

I'd go for Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Alladin Sane if you want to dip your toes into what I think are his prime years. Heroes and Low are genius but definitely a more experimental vibe.

JANK
01-11-16, 05:24 PM
A true rock star, starman, hunky dory, a lad insane, heroe, space oddity, heathen, spaceboy, world stealer, martian, lodger, scary monster, diamond dog, thin white duke, fallen to earth type of guy. What's the deal?

I will miss him dearly. RIP.

rbrown498
01-11-16, 05:40 PM
Funny you mention Dylan. As I've reflected on this throughout the day, I've thought several times that only Dylan's passing will match the sadness I feel over Bowie's. Just a rough day.

The only musician's death that has come close to affecting me this much was Freddie Mercury's...and the only one that I can think of that may be worse will be Joni Mitchell's.

Of all of his videos, this is the one that moves me the most. It's not my favorite song of his (although I like it a lot), but the video's images have haunted me since the first time that I saw it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8S227FFNwl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bunkaroo
01-11-16, 05:56 PM

Not singling you out, but I am fascinated by how people are more inclined to want to check out an artist's music right after they die. Look at Ace of Spades re-entering the charts.

I have much respect for Bowie and everything he's done to influence music, but I don't own anything by him and today's bad news won't change that for me.

Same goes for Motorhead. Lemmy seemed like a cool guy but I never could stand Motorhead. I'm not suddenly going to be able to tolerate his vocals now that he's unfortunately passed on.

inri222
01-11-16, 06:37 PM
About a month ago

http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article6984147.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/David-Bowie.jpg

Sonic
01-11-16, 06:59 PM
Wow shocking.

RIP! A legend!

PhantomStranger
01-11-16, 07:37 PM
I'd go for Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Alladin Sane if you want to dip your toes into what I think are his prime years. Heroes and Low are genius but definitely a more experimental vibe.
I'd recommend those three as well if you've never heard Bowie before and have mainstream music tastes. Bowie was a musical chameleon that kept changing his style with each album. His catalog is so diverse that it's very tough pointing out which album a person may prefer without knowing their tastes.

SatoshiNak
01-11-16, 07:44 PM
Growing up, my mom was a big fan of Bowie and I've been a fan of his since I was a kid. I remember the Let's Dance album is what introduced me to one of my all time favorite guitarists, Stevie Ray Vaughan. What a great musician that gave us such great songs, he will truly be missed.

Greg MacGuffin
01-11-16, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I love almost everything the guy did, but those three are good choices. If you like heavier rock music, you might want to try his album, The Man Who Sold the World, which has a riff-heavy, almost metal sound to it.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610V%2B0qBQrL.jpg

Decker
01-11-16, 08:03 PM
Has there ever been a video release of the Serious Moonlight concert they showed eons ago on HBO? I remember being blown away by that show.

mbrunet
01-11-16, 08:08 PM
Has there ever been a video release of the Serious Moonlight concert they showed eons ago on HBO? I remember being blown away by that show.

Yup. It was released on DVD in 2006 - looks like it's out of print now, but can still be found for okay prices online. Plus, it has the "Richochet" doc about the Asia leg of that tour.

B5Erik
01-11-16, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I love almost everything the guy did, but those three are good choices. If you like heavier rock music, you might want to try his album, The Man Who Sold the World, which has a riff-heavy, almost metal sound to it.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610V%2B0qBQrL.jpg
I definitely resemble that remark (liking heavier rock music).

So I'm sampling The Man Who Sold the World right now. Up to Black Country Rock now. Pretty impressive. Not 100% my cup of tea, but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Like I said before, I've always had a TON of respect for Bowie and admiration for the fact that he was a true artist (painting with music, so to speak). I don't know if I'll find any albums that I'd want to buy, but then again, maybe I will. I'm definitely giving him a listen today.

DJariya
01-11-16, 09:14 PM
I'm not really a Bowie fan (don't own any of his albums), but I'm very familiar with many of his hits and his work. Let's Dance was a cool little 80's tune. I know he was extremely influential to 70's and 80's pop music. RIP Sucks that cancer takes another one away before their time.

printerati
01-11-16, 09:46 PM

I see someone's been inverting Noel Gallagher quotes. ;)

Do you ever look at the sky and think, I'm glad I'm alive? After I heard System of a Down, I thought, I'm actually alive to hear the shittiest band of all time. Which is quite something when you think about it. Of all the bands that have gone before and all the bands that'll be in the future, I was around when the worst was around.

ntnon
01-11-16, 09:56 PM
I didn't believe it when I read it online. His music and legacy will always be with us.

Likewise. Very sad today, but he'll live on in the great body of work he produced.

Jippy
01-11-16, 10:51 PM
I love this.

What a beautiful and brave way to go out.

I've been a serious fan of music since I was 8 or 9 years old, starting with film scores and classical music. When I finally bothered to start listening to the radio and following some of the new artists of the time, I had a friend in 7th grade that introduced me to Bowie. From that point on, Bowie was always present. I respected him as an artist and got to know the radio hits of the time, but never got into collecting the albums. Then, in college, Rykodisc announced their campaign to reissue the whole Bowie catalog. I bought every title and became immersed. I remember with each batch of releases wondering "What in the hell was I doing when this came out? How did I miss this?" Then, the trilogy landed. Think back to when you heard "Station to Station", "Low" and "Heroes" for the first time. It was an epiphany. I had no idea music could do that. How it could transport you to those distant places and create moods and sensations like that for the listener. While today's news was heartbreaking, I stop and remember this amazing body of work that he has left for us all. Not just music, but fashion, art, ideas, truth. We will not see the likes of an artist like David Bowie again. RIP, Starman.

auto
01-11-16, 11:04 PM
David's death came as a complete surprise, as did nearly everything else about him. I feel a huge gap now.

We knew each other for over 40 years, in a friendship that was always tinged by echoes of Pete and Dud. Over the last few years - with him living in New York and me in London - our connection was by email. We signed off with invented names: some of his were mr showbiz, milton keynes, rhoda borrocks and the duke of ear.

About a year ago we started talking about Outside - the last album we worked on together. We both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that.

I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'.

I realise now he was saying goodbye.

That last part makes me tear up again. It just seems like he handled the whole thing so gracefully.

cdollaz
01-11-16, 11:05 PM
I think this is probably the most significant musical death in my lifetime so far. I was born in 1970, so I was too young for Elvis and Lennon to register that much. By the time Michael Jackson died, he was a punchline that was more pitied than remembered as a legend.

off the top of my head, the only living musicians whose deaths seem like they will be as big a deal as Bowie's are Jagger, McCartney and Dylan.

JasonF
01-11-16, 11:17 PM
I think this is probably the most significant musical death in my lifetime so far. I was born in 1970, so I was too young for Elvis and Lennon to register that much. By the time Michael Jackson died, he was a punchline that was more pitied than remembered as a legend.

off the top of my head, the only living musicians whose deaths seem like they will be as big a deal as Bowie's are Jagger, McCartney and Dylan.

I'm just a little bit younger than you and I agree. George Harrison was up there for me, but I recognize that, as brilliant and talented and wonderful as George was, he didn't have the impact that Bowie did.

Springsteen's death will probably hit me hard too. Hope it's not for many years to come.

Decker
01-11-16, 11:42 PM
Question :who should perform at the Grammys next month for the inevitable Bowie tribute? I figure they'll probably use somebody young who was inspired by Bowie like Sam Smith and pair him with a contemporary friend of Bowie. Maybe Elton John?

bluetoast
01-12-16, 12:09 AM
They'll probably get multiple big names. Just like with Joe Stummer.

Boba Fett
01-12-16, 12:33 AM
Question :who should perform at the Grammys next month for the inevitable Bowie tribute? I figure they'll probably use somebody young who was inspired by Bowie like Sam Smith and pair him with a contemporary friend of Bowie. Maybe Elton John?

Please keep Sam Smith far away from anything related to Bowie.

Josh-da-man
01-12-16, 12:48 AM

My Dave Grohl-sense is tingling.

Decker
01-12-16, 01:17 AM

Fine by me, but you just know they'll feel they have to put someone young up there to let the viewers know he inspired artists they listen to, rather than just have the rock icons who knew him pay tribute, Maybe there's a big-name modern artist who would be a better choice. I don't know.

slop101
01-12-16, 01:46 AM
Then, the trilogy landed. Think back to when you heard "Station to Station", "Low" and "Heroes" for the first time.Wait, I thought the trilogy was Low, Heroes and Lodger, and that StS was separate from that.

Drexl
01-12-16, 05:38 AM
Fine by me, but you just know they'll feel they have to put someone young up there to let the viewers know he inspired artists they listen to, rather than just have the rock icons who knew him pay tribute, Maybe there's a big-name modern artist who would be a better choice. I don't know.

Is Arcade Fire young enough?

rw2516
01-12-16, 06:39 AM

In a perfect world, Ian Hunter

B.A.
01-12-16, 09:16 AM
NYT: David Bowie Allowed His Art to Deliver a Final Message (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/arts/music/david-bowie-allowed-his-art-to-deliver-a-final-message.html?_r=0)

B.A.
01-12-16, 09:17 AM
Just another dad at Duncan's college graduation in 1995:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12548999_10153964245674274_2348272427216958147_n.jpg?oh=403b5047e2df688c846e184bffa38812&oe=573FC8A9

Lt Ripley
01-12-16, 09:32 AM
<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8nKb2JC7Qn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dex14
01-12-16, 10:29 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PvGmsKQt9cU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CRM114
01-12-16, 10:41 AM

The only one in this league for me was Jerry Garcia and that impacted my emotions way less (but still a lot) than Bowie.

John Lennon - I was 13. I still remember the atmosphere - the music from Double Fantasy playing bittersweetly, the vigils, but I was yet to fully understand what Lennon WAS.

I fully know what Bowie WAS and he was a giant.

CRM114
01-12-16, 10:43 AM

Well, it could be anyone. Anyone that has colored their hair, wore crazy costumes or crazy makeup, or wrote experimental music was (in)directly influenced by Bowie whether they know it or not. From the horrific pop landscape of the Grammys - Lady Gaga?

My god, I thought the same thing. :lol: At least Lady Gaga is fucked in the head and a bizarre person.

My Dave Grohl-sense is tingling.

My god, no. Please.

Pointyskull
01-12-16, 10:48 AM
There have only been two other musician/icon deaths that have rattled my world - Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone.

This one, however, is different. Very different. With the other two I felt that two major forces in the shaping of musical tastes/styles were gone - yet the sense of loss was nowhere near what I feel now.

This one has really shaken me, but when I step back and see what Bowie's vision was for Blackstar I have to smile a little. Even in death the guy was performing/transforming.

If it wasn't so completely depressing it would be ridiculously beautiful. But that will come in time.

CRM114
01-12-16, 10:55 AM
I listened to a bunch of David Bowie albums last night and put one on that for whatever reason, I don't listen to too often - Diamond Dogs. What a fucking GREAT album. For me, it seemed like an apt record for the occasion.

GuessWho
01-12-16, 11:00 AM
off the top of my head, the only living musicians whose deaths seem like they will be as big a deal as Bowie's are Jagger, McCartney and Dylan.Madonna will be a big deal.

inri222
01-12-16, 11:17 AM
Robert Plant
Roger Waters

CRM114
01-12-16, 11:27 AM
Bowie had 25 albums and was still creating relevant material until 2016. Zeppelin ended in '79. Pink Floyd ended thereabouts as well. I don't think they measure up to Bowie as far as singular influence.

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 11:31 AM
Other than a lot of people not liking her and her music, Gaga would be a good choice for a tribute show.

inri222
01-12-16, 11:31 AM
Bowie had 25 albums and was still creating relevant material until 2016. Zeppelin ended in '79. Pink Floyd ended thereabouts as well. I don't think they measure up to Bowie as far as singular influence.

I'm well aware and that still won't diminished the impact of someone like Plant or Waters.

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 11:35 AM

So you throw out everything they did as solo artists?

I also don't think the point was to say they were equal. Just others that will have an significant impact when they pass. And I happen to agree with him, although I would include Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Ray Davies, and Clapton.

inri222
01-12-16, 11:37 AM

I also don't think the point was to say they were equal. Just others that will have an significant impact when they pass. And I happen to agree with him, although I would include Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Ray Davies, and Clapton.

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 11:39 AM
And Pete Townsend.

Poink
01-12-16, 11:39 AM
This really smashed me way more than I could have ever imagined. Like everyone else, just didn't see it coming at all. It was almost surreal; I was up late Sunday night, and around 1:30 a.m before bed a friend on Facebook posted a video of Space Oddity, without any commentary. I thought nothing of it, since in my circles that's a completely normal thing. Closed up my Macbook with that tab open and drifted off to sleep. Woke up, refreshed my feed, and the innocuous video transformed into dozens of tributes. Completely stopped me right in my tracks. Bowie would have had it no other way.

bluetoast
01-12-16, 11:40 AM
Joe Strummer was a big one too. He was still releasing good music with the Mescaleros, and even though the R&R Hall of Fame is sometimes seen as a joke, The Clash was about to be inducted, which would have brought all the members together even if just to accept an award.

Strummer was even joking about doing a performance (of The Police's Every Little Thing She Does is Magic :lol:) with the band.

CRM114
01-12-16, 11:48 AM

Significant? Yes, of course.

Perhaps I'm reflecting my personal feelings too much. I listened to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin well before I started to appreciate Bowie. I just think Bowie meant a lot more socially as well as musically.

I could care less if I ever hear another Robert Plant solo song. Roger Waters? While interesting, not too memorable.

Decker
01-12-16, 11:53 AM
I just noticed that my 14 year old daughter put up a Ziggy Stardust picture as the cover photo for her Twitter feed. I'm a proud papa.

Pointyskull
01-12-16, 11:56 AM
Unrelated side note but weird coincidence:
This morning I was watching the most recent The Simpsons (from this past Sunday) and there was a Bowie reference.

Principal Skinner was mentioning someone who had a cat with two different colored eyes, and it was named...Bowie.

CRM114
01-12-16, 12:01 PM
I just noticed that my 14 year old daughter put up a Ziggy Stardust picture as the cover photo for her Twitter feed. I'm a proud papa.

My 17 year old was commenting last night that she couldn't believe the kids at her school had no idea who David Bowie was....

It's not like she listens to Bowie on her own (yet) but she is well aware of him and she too posted tribute stuff on her social media.

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 12:12 PM
Perhaps I'm reflecting my personal feelings too much. I listened to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin well before I started to appreciate Bowie. I just think Bowie meant a lot more socially as well as musically.

Of course there are going to be differences in just how many other types of projects a musician took on during their lifetime. Painter? Actor? Political Activist?

I totally agree that you are reflecting your personal feelings too much. We all will do that. While I'm agreeing he was a big deal, I don't like Bowie nearly as much as many others here. I haven't even seen the Man Who Fell to Earth. The only acting of his I can remember in any detail is Labyrinth, every time I watch it. The soundtrack is pretty awesome too.

slop101
01-12-16, 01:38 PM
I'm digging all the stories people had of Bowie that are being shared right now. My favorite so far is from Adrian Belew:

In 1978 I did my first tour of Europe as "stunt" guitarist and singer for Frank Zappa's band. The night we played in Cologne, Germany unbeknownst to me Brian Eno was in the audience. Brian knew David Bowie was looking for a new guitarist for his upcoming tour. He called David after seeing our show and told David he should come see the guitarist for Frank's band.

The next night we performed in Berlin. There was a part of the show where Frank took an extended guitar solo and most of the band members, including myself, left the stage for a few minutes. As I walked to the back of the stage I looked over at the monitor mixing board and saw David Bowie and Iggy Pop standing there.
Wow! I couldn't believe it!

So I walked over to David Bowie, shook his hand and said, "I love what you've done, thank you for all the music". And he said, "Great, how would you like to be in my band?" I motioned back towards Frank and said, "Well, I'm kind of playing with that guy." David laughed and said, "Yes, I know, but when Frank's tour ends my tour starts two weeks later. Shall we talk about it over dinner?"

David said he would meet me back at our hotel and sure enough when I arrived back at the hotel David Bowie and his assistant Coco Schwab were sitting on a couch in the lobby. As I walked past them they whispered to me, "Get into the elevator, go up to your room, come back down in a few minutes, and meet us outside. we have a car waiting."
It was like something out of a spy film.

When I came back down and went outside there was a black limousine waiting. The driver opened the door and I got in the back with David and Coco. David immediately launched into all this plans for his upcoming tour, the songs we would play, the staging, and so on, and how much he loved my guitar playing! It was so exciting! He said they were taking me to one of his favorite restaurants in Berlin.

How many restaurants are there in Berlin? 25,000?

We arrived at the restaurant, went in the front door, and who should be sitting at the very first table but Frank Zappa and the rest of the band! So the three of us sat down with Frank and the band. David, trying to be cordial, motioned to me and said, "Quite a guitar player you have here Frank."
And Frank said, "Fuck you Captain Tom."
(note: Frank had demoted David from Major Tom to Captain Tom.)
David persisted, "Oh come on now Frank, surely we can be gentleman about this?"
Frank said, "Fuck you Captain Tom."
By this point I was paralyzed. David said, "So you really have nothing to say?" Frank said. "Fuck you Captain Tom."

David and Coco and I got up and went back out the front door. Getting in the limo David said in his wonderfully British way, "I thought that went rather nicely!"

(watch for the postscript tomorrow)

CRM114
01-12-16, 01:47 PM
:lol: Classic.

I was just listening to "Stage" last night in which Belew is the guitar player. I was thinking what a great run Belew had going from Zappa's band to Bowie's band and then to King Crimson with Fripp, Bruford, and Levin. Talk about towering figures. I suppose Belew and Fripp met via Bowie.

Wonder why Zappa was so upset?

By the way, where was that from? I'd like to read the postscript.

cdollaz
01-12-16, 01:49 PM
I listened to a bunch of David Bowie albums last night and put one on that for whatever reason, I don't listen to too often - Diamond Dogs. What a fucking GREAT album. For me, it seemed like an apt record for the occasion.

I am pulling stuff to listen to in the car and have been choosing the less obvious:

Bowie At The Beeb Disc 3. The live disc.
The 50th birthday bash concert, with all of the guest stars
Stage
Black Tie, White Noise

cungar
01-12-16, 01:52 PM
:lol: Classic.

I was just listening to "Stage" last night in which Belew is the guitar player. I was thinking what a great run Belew had going from Zappa's band to Bowie's band and then to King Crimson with Fripp, Bruford, and Levin. Talk about towering figures. I suppose Belew and Fripp met via Bowie.

Wonder why Zappa was so upset?

By the way, where was that from? I'd like to read the postscript.

Zappa was being Zappa. Ever seen an interview with him? He was a cantankerous lout much of the time. Zappa thought of "his" musicians as valuable commodities. Until he felt like replacing them.

Like all geniuses and perfectionists he had his quirks.

CRM114
01-12-16, 02:01 PM
Sure, I just don't know why Frank would care what Belew did after the tour ended.

I am pulling stuff to listen to in the car and have been choosing the less obvious:

Bowie At The Beeb Disc 3. The live disc.
The 50th birthday bash concert, with all of the guest stars
Stage
Black Tie, White Noise

I listened to Stage last night too. (Well, not Side 1) The version of "Heroes" on it is fantastic.

slop101
01-12-16, 02:44 PM
By the way, where was that from? I'd like to read the postscript.From Belew's facebook page - postscript should be up tomorrow.

inri222
01-12-16, 02:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYexU0BWEAAyE-d.jpg

Jippy
01-12-16, 02:48 PM
Sure, I just don't know why Frank would care what Belew did after the tour ended.

I listened to Stage last night too. (Well, not Side 1) The version of "Heroes" on it is fantastic.

Agreed. I started listening to the entire discography in chronological order this morning. I'm on "Hunky Dory" right now. So many great memories are wrapped up in this music.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
01-12-16, 03:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYexU0BWEAAyE-d.jpg

Fake.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/photo-of-hawkwind-and-lemmy-lemmy-hawkwind-era-posed-with-his-french-picture-id86116376

inri222
01-12-16, 04:07 PM
Bastards!!!

Why So Blu?
01-12-16, 04:17 PM
:lol:

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 04:28 PM
Surprised there isn't a real pic of Bowie and Lemmy together. They had to have crossed paths eventually given they both were part of the larger music scene during many of the same years.

rw2516
01-12-16, 04:35 PM

Strictly talking newsworthy, not what they may have meant to people

Keith Richards
Alice Cooper
Clapton
Fogerty
Grace Slick
Ozzy
Ringo

Plant and Page have been mentioned. As important as they are, from a headline standpoint, there deaths will require a "member of Led Zeppelin" clarification. They never became equal to or bigger than the band itself. Daltry and Townshend are the same way.

Drexl
01-12-16, 04:58 PM
One that will hit me really hard is Bono, but he's not nearly as old as the others mentioned so far.

hdnmickey
01-12-16, 04:59 PM
Forgot Ozzy earlier. Of all the names mentioned recently, that is the one that would hit me personally the most. So much there as both a member of Sabbath and all the solo artist.

rw2516
01-12-16, 05:21 PM

Never gotten the dislike for Diamond Dogs. I guess you can't please all people all the time. Not as good as Ziggy or Aladdin Sane but to me still sounds like he's in the same place musically. The last album of his I like. The rockers sound like Ziggy rockers and the prog/orchestral stuff sounds like "Aladdin Sane" or "Time". Does suffer from Mick Ronson absence.
I was disappointed with David Live when released. It wasn't what I wanted to hear. I imagine people who went to Diamond Dogs Tour shows were disappointed also. Often wondered if the dislike of Diamond Dogs was bleed over from disappointment with the tour and live album.
Nowadays I like David Live, but nowadays I'm not a 16 year old kid expecting a Ziggy live album. I've got the Ziggy soundtrack and Santa Monica to feed my Ziggy live fix and enjoy David Live for what it is.
Diamond Dogs is to Bowie what Presence is to Led Zeppelin.
Over the weekend I listened to "Who By The Numbers". Ashamed to admit I'd never listened to it. Couldn't believe how good it was. Sounded just like Who's Next or Quadrophenia.

Jason
01-12-16, 06:31 PM
Fake.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/photo-of-hawkwind-and-lemmy-lemmy-hawkwind-era-posed-with-his-french-picture-id86116376

So, Lemmy didn't meet Bowie, but he met Hillary Clinton instead?

Supermallet
01-12-16, 08:13 PM
If you want the most successful Bowie disciple to do the Grammy tribute, you get Madonna.

Unrelated, I have probably 90% of everything commercially released with Bowie's name on it (not including albums he produced for other artists), and I've put them all together chronologically in a playlist and am playing through it now. It's already fairly emotional and I'm only on Space Oddity (I skipped the Deram album).

Ky-Fi
01-12-16, 08:36 PM
Probably my favorite song of his. I love the perfect, minimalist song structure, too--no solo, no middle eight, just keeps going back to that perfect riff/progression:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nbDbQc3QdXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can listen to that song 100 times in a row without getting sick of it.

miller_time22
01-12-16, 09:02 PM
Any opinions on his album "Toy"? Like many, I've been revisiting his work. I'm pretty well versed in the vast majority of his back catalog already but downloaded this a few years ago when it leaked and never really gave it its proper due. So, I've been listening to it again with fresh ears and finding it pretty interesting. Blackstar is great and a most fitting swan song, but I have also liked having this hidden gem there to dig into almost as a "new to me" album and it provides a nice balance.

Supermallet
01-12-16, 09:20 PM
Probably my favorite song of his. I love the perfect, minimalist song structure, too--no solo, no middle eight, just keeps going back to that perfect riff/progression:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nbDbQc3QdXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can listen to that song 100 times in a row without getting sick of it.

One of my favorites of his as well! A perfect pseudo-Velvet Underground pop song.

Here's my favorite cover of his, from the Station to Station sessions (only released on the Sound and Vision box set and a few other compilations):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xDCvS0D5Yb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the original Moroder-produced version of "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" is one of my favorite songs by anyone:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YWX_MFNOL_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Canis Firebrand
01-12-16, 10:07 PM
If you have XM/Sirius, they repurposed channel 30 The Loft into a David Bowie tribute channel for the next few days. Listening to it now.

Mabuse
01-12-16, 10:45 PM
Bowie At The Beeb Disc 3. The live discGreat disc.

dom56
01-13-16, 01:31 AM
Watch my 50th Anniversary Ziggy Stardust DVD tonight. Good concert film my only complaint is D.A. Pennebaker sloppy editing and too many shots of screaming and crying girls.

CRM114
01-13-16, 09:45 AM
QgPUxjQOk-w

More from Adrian Belew on the Lodger recording session. Belew and the band were in a different room on a different floor than Bowie and Eno. Bowie and Eno could see the band with a one way camera. Then Bowie had Belew play along with tracks without telling him the key or any other instructions. So the guitar work you hear on Lodger was Belew playing along with music he never heard before or rehearsed. Apparently, Bowie and Eno wanted it to sound "accidental".

CRM114
01-13-16, 11:47 AM
My daughter is NAMED after an Elvis Costello song so I believe Elvis' death with have a profound effect on me. May he live forever.

slop101
01-13-16, 11:59 AM
The only solo artist who's passing would have an effect as big a Bowie's might be Springsteen.

Ky-Fi
01-13-16, 12:37 PM
Joe Strummer had a big effect on me, both because of his music and his young age---he had a LOT more music in him. On the plus side, though, he seemed to be in a pretty good place in his life both personally and musically, and he passed peacefully in his sleep.

Stuart Adamson of Big Country was a big deal for me. The first 3 BC albums are some of my favorite music ever recorded, and played a huge role in my musically formative years. Also, he was quite young and died under massively depressing circumstances.

Ky-Fi
01-13-16, 12:40 PM
My daughter is NAMED after an Elvis Costello song so I believe Elvis' death with have a profound effect on me. May he live forever.

You named your daughter Oliver?

hdnmickey
01-13-16, 12:53 PM
The only solo artist who's passing would have an effect as big a Bowie's might be Springsteen.

Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but It always amazes me when people go on about guys like Bruce being a solo artist when clearly there was an established group that put out the vast majority of material and toured together.

wishbone
01-13-16, 12:54 PM
You named your daughter Oliver?Sulky Girl, duh.

inri222
01-13-16, 12:58 PM
Joe Strummer had a big effect on me, both because of his music and his young age---he had a LOT more music in him.

I kick myself in the ass for not going to see him in 2002 (7 months before his death) with the Mescaleros when they played in Brooklyn 5 nights in a row.
I was extremely busy at the time and said to myself "I'll just can catch him next year." Who would've known.

slop101
01-13-16, 01:15 PM
Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but It always amazes me when people go on about guys like Bruce being a solo artist when clearly there was an established group that put out the vast majority of material and toured together.Lets see Bruce put out and album and tour without E Street (which has happened), compared to E St putting out an album and touring without Bruce, which has yet to happen, for obvious reasons.

CRM114
01-13-16, 01:18 PM
Alison, one L. :)

I only dislike 2 artists: Bruce Springsteen and U2. I can't listen to either one. I "get" Bruce but for some reason, I find him extremely irritating. U2 was tolerable until The Joshua Tree. Personal preference.

cungar
01-13-16, 01:22 PM
What I guessed. I thought Veronica sounded too old fashioned.

Ky-Fi
01-13-16, 01:30 PM

I kick myself in the ass for not going to see him in 2002 (7 months before his death) with the Mescaleros when they played in Brooklyn 5 nights in a row.
I was extremely busy at the time and said to myself "I'll just can catch him next year." Who would've known.

I never saw The Clash, but I did see Joe twice. The second time was in '99 with the Rock Art and X-Ray tour. He alternated a Clash hit with a new song the whole night. Hearing him play Safe European Home and Bankrobber were my highlights. I always use that show as an example whenever I or one of my friends is on the fence about seeing an older artist--you never know when it will be your last chance. I passed on Big Country once, and then never did end up seeing them live with Adamson.

My first time seeing Joe was completely awesome. It was '90 or '91, and I had tickets for The Pogues in Boston. About 5 days before the show, it was announced that Shane McGowan was out for health reasons (alcohol), and replacing him would be Joe Strummer! He had just produced the Pogues album, and he sang lead the whole concert---even did Irish versions of I Fought the Law and London Calling. It was great just because I had no idea I'd be seeing that when I got the tickets.

inri222
01-13-16, 01:55 PM
Lets see Bruce put out and album and tour without E Street (which has happened), compared to E St putting out an album and touring without Bruce, which has yet to happen, for obvious reasons.

People have a natural tendency to relate with the frontman and forget about everyone else.

hdnmickey
01-13-16, 02:00 PM
People have a natural tendency to relate with the frontman and forget about everyone else.

It's even worse when that front man is basically the name of the band. The band not doing much without the front man doesn't eliminate the fact that the material they are saying is worthy is a band rather than a true solo artist.

slop101
01-13-16, 03:05 PM
It's even worse when that front man is basically the name of the band. The band not doing much without the front man doesn't eliminate the fact that the material they are saying is worthy is band rather than a true solo artist.Again, not to get too far off on a tangent, but I'd say Bruce is more similar to Bowie where he wrote and led his band, rather than being a pure band collaboration (which is what you're trying to imply). Only difference being that Bruce kept a mostly consistent band, while Bowie mixed it up every few albums.

CRM114
01-13-16, 03:38 PM
I saw The Clash as that egregious opening act gig for The Who. Supposedly, the beginning of the end.

hdnmickey
01-13-16, 04:11 PM
Again, not to get too far off on a tangent, but I'd say Bruce is more similar to Bowie where he wrote and led his band, rather than being a pure band collaboration (which is what you're trying to imply). Only difference being that Bruce kept a mostly consistent band, while Bowie mixed it up every few albums.

And interesting comment given how much credit people have been giving Bowie's band mates for the output.

rw2516
01-13-16, 04:56 PM
I define band from a economic standpoint. Does Bruce get paid and then he pays the band? That would make them hired help. Can Bruce unilaterally fire someone? That makes them hired help.
In a band all members are financially equal in anything credited to the band. Some members may get more from writing royalties or producing credit, but for playing it's all equal. Ownership of the band name is usually equal. There are countless court cases over use of a band's name between ex and current members. A lot of times an ex member gets a settlement to relinquish all claims to the name, otherwise they may be entitled a share of future recordings and performances even though they are no longer members.
Sometimes band incorporate. If a member leaves or is fired he is still entitled to his share of future profits of the band/corporation.. Been court cases and settlement payouts over this also.

hdnmickey
01-13-16, 05:00 PM
I define band from a economic standpoint...

In a band all members are financially equal in anything credited to the band

That certainly will be true in some cases (but not all), but I at least was speaking of output and the input the whole band had on that output.

nando820
01-13-16, 05:20 PM
Watch my 50th Anniversary Ziggy Stardust DVD tonight. Good concert film my only complaint is D.A. Pennebaker sloppy editing and too many shots of screaming and crying girls.

Oh man which release is that? i only have the plain Vinyl release of Ziggy Stardust. Been looking for a deluxe release for the longest

dom56
01-13-16, 08:03 PM
Oh man which release is that? i only have the plain Vinyl release of Ziggy Stardust. Been looking for a deluxe release for the longest

Made a typo should have been 30th instead 50th of the DVD concert. Look like it temporary sold out now at Amazon.

Supermallet
01-13-16, 08:15 PM
QgPUxjQOk-w

More from Adrian Belew on the Lodger recording session. Belew and the band were in a different room on a different floor than Bowie and Eno. Bowie and Eno could see the band with a one way camera. Then Bowie had Belew play along with tracks without telling him the key or any other instructions. So the guitar work you hear on Lodger was Belew playing along with music he never heard before or rehearsed. Apparently, Bowie and Eno wanted it to sound "accidental".

All the Berlin albums had things like that. Eno has long been into the idea of utilizing sort of a Zen Buddhist approach to music-making, taking disparate ideas and mashing them together, utilizing mistakes and accidents, anything to push the artist out of their typical thinking about making music. He and Bowie used Eno's Oblique Strategies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblique_Strategies) cards on multiple occasions when making choices for those three albums. The most obvious example of this is on "Sense of Doubt", where one pulled a card that read "Accentuate the similarities" and the other "Highlight the differences", and they began playing without telling what the cards said. Next time you listen to the song, listen to it with those particular cards in mind and you should be able to see the interplay between the two coming together.

Bowie and Eno also had musicians round robin instruments on certain songs on Lodger, most to instruments they were unfamiliar with. Lodger's actually a really interesting album, it has all sorts of hidden intricacies. "Fantastic Voyage" and "Boys Keep Swinging" have same chord changes, structure, and key. "Move On" uses the riff from "All The Young Dudes" played backwards. "Red Money" takes the music from Iggy Pop's "Sister Midnight" and adds new lyrics. And the three singles from the album were released in the reverse order of how they appear in the album tracklist.

Also, it's a terrific, still underrated album that a lot of people seem to think is a bit of a dip between "Heroes" and Scary Monsters, but may actually be my favorite of that whole period.

Pointyskull
01-13-16, 09:43 PM
http://usuncut.com/news/westboro-baptist-bowie/

Anytime I can donate to a cause that is against what those Westboro nuts want I'm in. And doing so in Bowie's name is a plus.

CMON DVDTALKERS...

astrochimp
01-13-16, 10:03 PM
Did anyone make a better pop song than Modern Love in the 80's?

5BvYub2c7Yw

Why So Blu?
01-13-16, 10:57 PM
In retrospect - I think to a couple of weeks ago where I made mention that after listening and watching the Blackstar video/song - that I was not impressed by it.

Now I get it. It was Bowie's "exit" album. Now I need to buy it, so that I can properly digest the subject matter, because in CONTEXT it will all make sense after the fact. :(

slop101
01-14-16, 02:13 AM
Ugh. Fucking gutted

David Bowie Planned Post-'Blackstar' Album, 'Thought He Had Few More Months'

"His energy was still incredible for a man who had cancer," longtime Bowie producer Tony Visconti says. "He never showed any fear"

About a week before his death, with Blackstar nearing release, David Bowie called his longtime friend and producer Tony Visconti via FaceTime, and told him he wanted to make one more album. In what turned out to have been the final weeks of his life, Bowie wrote and demo-ed five fresh songs, and was anxious to return to the studio one last time. Bowie had known since November that his cancer was terminal, according to Visconti, but if their final conversation was any indication, he had no idea he had so little time left. "At that late stage, he was planning the follow-up to Blackstar," says Visconti, that album's producer, in an interview conducted Wednesday for a Bowie memorial package in the next issue of Rolling Stone.

"And I was thrilled," Visconti continues, "and I thought, and he thought, that he'd have a few months, at least. Obviously, if he's excited about doing his next album, he must've thought he had a few more months. So the end must've been very rapid. I'm not privy to it. I don't know exactly, but he must've taken ill very quickly after that phone call." Visconti has been working with Bowie on and off since 1969's Space Oddity, producing numerous key albums, among them 1970's The Man Who Sold the World, 1977's Low, 1980's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps), and 2013's surprise comeback The Next Day.

Visconti first learned of Bowie's illness a year ago, when he showed up for Blackstar recording sessions in New York. "He just came fresh from a chemo session, and he had no eyebrows, and he had no hair on his head," says Visconti, "and there was no way he could keep it a secret from the band. But he told me privately, and I really got choked up when we sat face to face talking about it."

Around the middle of 2015, however, Bowie's prognosis seemed to improve. "He was optimistic because he was doing the chemo and it was working," says Visconti, "and at one point in the middle of last year, he was in remission. I was thrilled. And he was a bit apprehensive. He said, 'Well, don't celebrate too quickly. For now I'm in remission, and we'll see how it goes.' And he continued the chemotherapy. So I thought he was going to make it. And in November, it just suddenly came back. It had spread all over his body, so there's no recovering from that."

Bowie had already finished Blackstar by November. But even before then, Visconti noticed the tone of some of the lyrics and told him, "You canny bastard. You're writing a farewell album." Bowie simply laughed in response. "He was so brave and courageous," says Visconti. "And his energy was still incredible for a man who had cancer. He never showed any fear. He was just all business about making the album."

As far as Visconti knows, rumors of additional health problems between Bowie’s 2004 heart attack and his cancer diagnosis 18 months ago are false. "When I met up with him in 2008 or 2009," he says, "he actually had some weight on him. He was robust. His cheeks were rosy red. He wasn't sick. He was on medicine for his heart. But it was normal, like a lot of people in their 50s or 60s are on heart medication, and live very long lives. So he was coping with it very, very well." In the time between the heart attack and the 2013 release of The Next Day, Bowie even took boxing lessons.

When Visconti learned of Bowie's death, the producer was on the road with Holy Holy, a Bowie tribute project that includes former Spiders from Mars drummer Mick "Woody" Woodmansey. "We deliberated whether we should continue the tour because we were all knocked sideways," Visconti says. "Monday was the worst day of my life. I gotta say. But we talked about it and said, 'We’re musicians, this is what we do. David would like it.' We played for the first time since his death last night to a very, very enthusiastic Toronto audience. There were people crying, but there were people smiling and clapping and jumping around. Listen, it was a wonderful experience to be able to acknowledge him, to celebrate his life."

Supermallet
01-14-16, 04:19 AM
Ugh. Fucking gutted

My thoughts exactly. Fuck.

Josh-da-man
01-14-16, 05:47 AM
Maybe we'll get to hear the demos of those five songs someday.

mickey65
01-14-16, 08:44 AM
I'm sure we've all had at least a family member or friend who has died from cancer. I hate to sound this way, but I'm getting really tired of all the money and fund raising events we throw at this with still no "cure."

It is just really hard for me to believe with all the research, money, medical geniuses out there, that there is still not much progress, other than having people and their families break the fucking bank just to stay "alive" a little while longer, all while feeling like shit.

Rant over. Tired of this shit.

RIP - David Bowie. :(

I totally agree. My step-dad died of cancer this past November...

mickey65
01-14-16, 08:46 AM
What I guessed. I thought Veronica sounded too old fashioned.

That's my sister's name...and that song is her ring-tone on my phone!

dex14
01-14-16, 12:50 PM
THANK YOU

The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.

They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.

We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.

However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.

Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone’s celebration of his life as they see fit.

slop101
01-14-16, 12:58 PM
The only bright side I see to this, is the treasure trove of album re-issues, lost tracks and demos that I'm sure will start coming out soon.

inri222
01-14-16, 01:47 PM
<iframe width="720" height="405" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XZGiVzIr8Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RichC2
01-14-16, 02:03 PM
Ugh. Fucking gutted

Sounds like he hit his final stride a week out, many cancer patients seem to hit that last minute bounce back before it all falls apart.

Damfino
01-14-16, 03:39 PM
The only other two times a musician's death has affected me this much were Kurt Cobain and John Lennon.

I'm old enough to have been a Bowie fan since Ziggy Stardust too, so that's 40+ years.

JasonF
01-14-16, 04:30 PM
Joe Strummer had a big effect on me, both because of his music and his young age---he had a LOT more music in him. On the plus side, though, he seemed to be in a pretty good place in his life both personally and musically, and he passed peacefully in his sleep.

I still feel like crying when I think about Joe Strummer. The Clash was amazing and his post-Clash work is equally incredible. I can listen to Burnin' Streets over and over and not get even a little bit tired of it. All of Streetcore, for that matter.

Ky-Fi
01-14-16, 07:05 PM
I still feel like crying when I think about Joe Strummer. The Clash was amazing and his post-Clash work is equally incredible. I can listen to Burnin' Streets over and over and not get even a little bit tired of it. All of Streetcore, for that matter.

Yep. This early solo album was criminally ignored, too:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Hget4-n6PY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bluetoast
01-14-16, 08:07 PM

I was listening to Johnny Appleseed for the first time last year, and in some way it felt like rediscovering Joe Strummer.

Poink
01-14-16, 10:51 PM
Been taking advantage of a Google Play invite a family member sent me to dig through the Bowie catalog.

Listening to Lodger for the first time. I always slept on it due to its reputation of being the "lesser" of the Berlin Trilogy like Supermallet mentioned, but I should have known better! This might be my favorite Bowie album, period. Some of it sounds like he's fronting Wire. "Red Money" beats Talking Heads at their own game (years before they even sounded like that). HOT DAMN. Thanks for nothing, rock critics!

Anyways, the 80s era is kind of the unknown for me. What's the take on good albums to look for? I was born in '81, so while I existed, I really don't recall anything. Wasn't until I was closer to 10 that Bowie was on my radar, and that was via Space Oddity, Ziggy, etc.

Supermallet
01-15-16, 12:14 AM
Glad you're loving Lodger! It really feels like an album from another universe sometimes.

As for the '80s, Let's Dance is stellar. Tonight is an acquired taste (that I have acquired), and Never Let Me Down is his worst album. It's really, really bad. Check out "Day In, Day Out", "Time Will Crawl", and the title track from NLMD for the three good to okay songs on it.

Tin Machine was '89, and it was the start of his artistic resurgence, but it's not my favorite of his.

creekdipper
01-15-16, 01:02 AM
And the original Moroder-produced version of "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)" is one of my favorite songs by anyone:

Do you get the same vibe from Shriekback's "This Big Hush" featured in Manhunter? IMO, very closely-related brothers (or cousins, at least) with their cinematic, atmospheric, seductive styles.

Wonder if there were many people who didn't care for his music but liked his acting? A little surprised that Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence hasn't been mentioned (or mentioned more).

Here's a filmography. Bowie was surprisingly active in both leading roles & cameos:

1967 The Image The Boy Short film
1968 Theatre 625 Unidentified Television series Season 5, Episode 22, "The Pistol Shot"; lost episode
1969 The Virgin Soldiers Soldier (uncredited) Feature film Appears briefly as a soldier being escorted out from behind a bar
1970 Pierrot in Turquoise or The Looking Glass Murders Cloud Television film
1976 The Man Who Fell to Earth Thomas Jerome Newton Feature film Saturn Award for Best Actor
1978 Just a Gigolo Paul Ambrosius von Przygodski Feature film https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/74/9c/55/749c55197f9a5e5b55575566051d35a3.jpg
1981 Christiane F. (Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo) Himself Feature film Cameo, performing at a concert in the film
1982 The Snowman Older James Television film (animated/ live action) Appears in introduction of re-released version
Baal Baal Television film
1983 Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence Maj. Jack 'Strafer' Celliers Feature film http://data.whicdn.com/images/113327468/large.jpg
The Hunger John Feature film Unrelated to 1999-2000 television series The Hunger in which he also appeared http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/hunger5.jpg
Yellowbeard The Shark (uncredited) Feature film
1984 Jazzin' for Blue Jean Screamin' Lord Byron / Vic Short film Promotional film for his single "Blue Jean"
1985 Into the Night Colin Morris Feature film http://docfilms.uchicago.edu/dev/images/2014/fall/2014-10-30-2.jpg
1986 Labyrinth Jareth the Goblin King Feature film
Absolute Beginners Vendice Partners Feature film
1988 The Last Temptation of Christ Pontius Pilate Feature film http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/91264/91264_full.jpg
1991 Dream On Sir Roland Moorecock Television series Guest appearance on Season 2, Episode 1, "The Second Greatest Story Ever Told"
The Linguini Incident Monte Feature film
1992 Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me Phillip Jeffries Feature film
1996 Basquiat Andy Warhol Feature film http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1500000/Basquiat-david-bowie-1533034-852-480.jpg
1998 Gunslinger's Revenge ("Il mio West) Jack Sikora Feature film https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0e/0f/d9/0e0fd93fe1012b9af783d4332204f86e.jpg
1999 Everybody Loves Sunshine Bernie Feature film
Omikron: The Nomad Soul Boz / The Dreamers Video game Voice only
1999–2000 The Hunger The Host / Julian Priest Television series Season 2, multiple episodes; unrelated to 1983 film The Hunger in which he also appeared
2000 Mr. Rice's Secret William Rice Feature film
2001 Zoolander Himself Feature film Cameo; nominated for MTV Movie Award
2006 Extras Himself Television series Guest appearance, Series 2, Episode 2, "David Bowie"
The Prestige Nikola Tesla Feature film https://timeentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/david-bowie.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
2007 Arthur and the Invisibles Emperor Maltazard Feature film (animated/ live action) Voice only (English version)
SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis Lord Royal Highness (L.R.H) Television film (animated) Voice only; based on animated TV series SpongeBob SquarePants
2008 August Cyrus Ogilvie Feature film
2009 Bandslam Himself Feature film Cameo
As subject of documentary or video

Supermallet
01-15-16, 01:34 AM
I've seen many of his acting roles. Just a brilliant performer all around. His performance as Andy Warhol in Basquiat was dead on.

Nth Power
01-15-16, 02:19 AM
oh shit, I didn't even know David Bowie died until today.
RIP.

CRM114
01-15-16, 09:39 AM
oh shit, I didn't even know David Bowie died until today.
RIP.

:whofart:

inri222
01-15-16, 09:59 AM
I've seen many of his acting roles. Just a brilliant performer all around. His performance as Andy Warhol in Basquiat was dead on.

http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/t/w/i/twin-peaks-1992-12-g.jpg

CRM114
01-15-16, 10:01 AM

creekdipper
01-15-16, 08:46 PM
I must have missed the episode when Sonny Crockett joined forces with Coop.

cdollaz
01-15-16, 10:45 PM
I must have missed the episode when Sonny Crockett joined forces with Coop.

It was one of those "blue rose" cases.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1302725/400full.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsyWNVLiP45dn8qnnuNXat6b7COxFdd0sMFs1VFcCqtQfGtpvq1OJNYZub

stvn1974
01-15-16, 11:26 PM
I wonder if Bowie filmed anything for the new Twin Peaks series?

Paff
01-16-16, 01:46 AM
Throw me into the "never bought any Bowie albums but could appreciate his genius" camp. Actually, I'd been meaning to check out his stuff for a while; I've recently been buying a lot of 70s records (and I do mean RECORDS) and discovering great music once you get past the overplayed "hits". I'm talking about artists like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Sparks, and The Sweet among many others.

When a Bowie song came on the radio, I rarely changed the station. With the exception of songs from Let's Dance. I was around when that album was big, and had those songs drilled into my head ad nauseum. I was reading a review of Bowie's discography, possibly in Trouser Press, where they said that Let's Dance was the first time Bowie made a record in the style of current music; usually he was looking very far forward, or very far back. Even without a full knowledge of his music, I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

Anyway, in the upcoming weeks and months, I plan to pick up some of the more storied records of his (and I know there's a record store in the area I'm gonna be tomorrow that had a copy of Pin Ups the last time I was there....didn't buy it then, 'cause I knew it was all covers and I want to hear his writing. But if it's still there tomorrow, it'll probably be coming home with me).

creekdipper
01-16-16, 05:52 AM
I'm a little torn about the reactions to deaths of pop icons. I was in several FYE stores taking advantage of overlapping sales combined with Holiday Cash coupons, and there was a lot of Bowie classics in heavy rotation. Even though I always regarded Bowie as an acquired taste, it reminded me of how well the "hits" flow when juxtaposed and how timeless they seem (for the most part).

I understand the impulse to recognize deaths that impact people beyond friends & family with tributes (24-hour music marathons, etc.)...TMC often interrupts their regularly-scheduled programming to have special tribute days devoted to beloved actors...but then there is the commercial side taking advantage of sudden increased interest & demand (happened with Robin Williams last year).

For instance, I had a friend call wondering if I had an extra copy of the "Best of Bowie" DVD set that has a lot of rare live performances & clips. I told him he could borrow it (he & his wife are big Bowie fans) and was thinking that I might just give it to them since I had originally bought it from them. He mentioned that they had called around to several stores but couldn't find any copies. I looked online for them to see if I could find a cheap copy...and noticed that copies that had been selling on Ebay for $11.99 on Jan. 11-12 were going for >$60 on Jan. 13. And the prices were some Bowie movies (Man Who Fell To Earth, Mr. Lawrence) had zoomed.

It's capitalism, but just seems ghoulish. It's possible that the items are scarce, but more likely that people have just jacked up prices until demand goes down (given the number of copies available just before his death). I told my friend that he probably should just borrow our copy and then wait a month or so for prices to return to normal (or I could give him our copy and then replace it later).

I noticed the same thing with some Bowie CD's on Amazon...lot of "temporarily out of stock" notices with corresponding price jumps from secondary sellers.

slop101
01-16-16, 10:42 AM
^ Agreed.

Although, on the other side, there are retailers, like Rough Trade Records (http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/1089), who for the entire month of January are donating all their profits from Bowie purchases to Cancer Research UK.
An unbelievable gesture, given that he has a new album out, along with the influx of purchases that are coming on the back of his death.

hdnmickey
01-16-16, 02:38 PM
EW often gets a bad rap here, but their article on Bowie this week is quite good. It includes a small sidebar article by Nolan about working with him on The Prestige.

melvin
01-16-16, 05:43 PM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/529f398ee4b0ee6848fe2724/55cb9e85e4b0a13f76699b0a/56952ee12399a39a99db9ebf/1452617449164/ziggy.jpg?format=750w

melvin
01-16-16, 05:51 PM
There are a few comics on Berkley's Facebook page and on his store that really say it all. Don't know how to keep the sizes manageable or if posting someone else's work is okay.

slop101
01-18-16, 11:12 AM
Letter from Bowie's doctor:

Dear David,

Oh no, don’t say it’s true – whilst realization of your death was sinking in during those grey, cold January days of 2016, many of us went on with our day jobs. At the beginning of that week I had a discussion with a hospital patient, facing the end of her life. We discussed your death and your music, and it got us talking about numerous weighty subjects, that are not always straightforward to discuss with someone facing their own demise. In fact, your story became a way for us to communicate very openly about death, something many doctors and nurses struggle to introduce as a topic of conversation. But before I delve further into the aforementioned exchange, I’d like to get a few other things off my chest, and I hope you don’t find them a saddening bore.

Thank you for the Eighties when your ChangesOneBowie album provided us with hours of joyful listening, in particular on a trip from Darmstadt to Cologne and back. My friends and I will probably always associate Diamond Dogs, Rebel Rebel, China Girl and Golden Years with that particular time in our lives. Needless to say, we had a great time in Köln.

Thank you for Berlin, especially early on, when your songs provided some of the musical backdrop to what was happening in East and West Germany. I still have ‘Helden’ on vinyl and played it again when I heard you had died (you’ll be pleased to hear that Helden will also feature in our next Analogue Music Club in the Pilot pub in Penarth later this month). Some may associate David Hasselhoff with the fall of the wall and reunification; but many Germans probably wish that time had taken a cigarette and put it in Mr Hasselhoff’s mouth around that time, rather than hear “I’ve been looking for freedom” endlessly on the radio. For me that time in our history is sound tracked by ‘Heroes’.

Thanks also on behalf of my friend Ifan, who went to one of your gigs in Cardiff. His sister Haf was on the doors that night and I heard a rumour that Ifan managed to sneak in for free (he says sorry!). You gave him and his mate a wave from the stage which will remain in his memory forever.

Thank you for Lazarus and Blackstar. I am a palliative care doctor, and what you have done in the time surrounding your death has had a profound effect on me and many people I work with. Your album is strewn with references, hints and allusions. As always, you don’t make interpretation all that easy, but perhaps that isn’t the point. I have often heard how meticulous you were in your life. For me, the fact that your gentle death at home coincided so closely with the release of your album, with its good-bye message, in my mind is unlikely to be coincidence. All of this was carefully planned, to become a work of death art. The video of Lazarus is very deep and many of the scenes will mean different things to us all; for me it is about dealing with the past when you are faced with inevitable death.

Your death at home. Many people I talk to as part of my job think that death predominantly happens in hospitals, in very clinical settings, but I presume you chose home and planned this in some detail. This is one of our aims in palliative care, and your ability to achieve this may mean that others will see it as an option they would like fulfilled. The photos that emerged of you some days after your death, were said to be from the last weeks of your life. I do not know whether this is correct, but I am certain that many of us would like to carry off a sharp suit in the same way that you did in those photos. You looked great, as always, and it seemed in direct defiance of all the scary monsters that the last weeks of life can be associated with.

For your symptom control needs, you will presumably have had palliative care professionals advise on pain, nausea, vomiting, breathlessness, and I can imagine they did this well. I envisage that they also discussed any emotional anguish you may have had.

For your advance care planning (i.e. planning heath and care decisions prior to things getting worse and before becoming unable to express them), I am certain you will have had a lot of ideas, expectations, prior decisions and stipulations. These may have been set out clearly in writing, near your bed at home, so that everyone who met you was clear on what you wanted, regardless of your ability to communicate. It is an area not just palliative care professionals, but in fact all healthcare workers want to provide and improve, so that it is less likely that any sudden health incidents will automatically result in a blue-light ambulance emergency room admission. Especially when people become unable to speak for themselves.

And I doubt that anyone will have given you Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in the last hours/days of your life, or even considered it. Regrettably, some patients who have not actively opted out of this treatment still receive it, by default. It involves physical, sometimes bone-breaking chest compressions, electric shocks, injections and insertion of airways and is only successful in 1-2% of patients whose cancer has spread to other organs in their body. It is very likely that you asked your medical team to issue you with a Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation order. I can only imagine what it must have been like to discuss this, but you were once again a hero, or a ‘Held’, even at this most challenging time of your life. And the professionals who saw you will have had good knowledge and skill in the provision of palliative and end-of-life care. Sadly, this essential part of training is not always available for junior healthcare professionals, including doctors and nurses, and is sometimes overlooked or under-prioritized by those who plan their education. I think if you were ever to return (as Lazarus did), you would be a firm advocate for good palliative care training being available everywhere.

So back to the conversation I had with the lady who had recently received the news that she had advanced cancer that had spread, and that she would probably not live much longer than a year or so. She talked about you and loved your music, but for some reason was not impressed by your Ziggy Stardust outfit (she was not sure whether you were a boy or a girl). She too, had memories of places and events for which you provided an idiosyncratic soundtrack. And then we talked about a good death, the dying moments and what these typically look like. And we talked about palliative care and how it can help. She told me about her mother’s and her father’s death, and that she wanted to be at home when things progressed, not in a hospital or emergency room, but that she’d happily transfer to the local hospice should her symptoms be too challenging to treat at home.

We both wondered who may have been around you when you took your last breath and whether anyone was holding your hand. I believe this was an aspect of the vision she had of her own dying moments that was of utmost importance to her, and you gave her a way of expressing this most personal longing to me, a relative stranger.

Thank you.

Mabuse
01-18-16, 11:49 AM
What is that? Seems more like fan tribute.

slop101
01-18-16, 12:11 PM
Yeah, the doctor that treated him during his cancer was also a fan. Why is that hard to understand?

lopper
01-18-16, 12:43 PM
Don't think that's from his actual Dr.

slop101
01-18-16, 01:02 PM
Ah. Weird wording on the article source confused me. Those cheeky Brits.

GuessWho
01-18-16, 01:38 PM
As someone who works in palliative care/hospice care, this article has been making the rounds in my office all morning. the doctor here is using Bowie as an entry point into the second half of the blog, a description of PC/HC.

CRM114
01-19-16, 10:04 AM
Throw me into the "never bought any Bowie albums but could appreciate his genius" camp. Actually, I'd been meaning to check out his stuff for a while; I've recently been buying a lot of 70s records (and I do mean RECORDS) and discovering great music once you get past the overplayed "hits". I'm talking about artists like The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, The Kinks, Sparks, and The Sweet among many others.

When a Bowie song came on the radio, I rarely changed the station. With the exception of songs from Let's Dance. I was around when that album was big, and had those songs drilled into my head ad nauseum. I was reading a review of Bowie's discography, possibly in Trouser Press, where they said that Let's Dance was the first time Bowie made a record in the style of current music; usually he was looking very far forward, or very far back. Even without a full knowledge of his music, I think that's a pretty accurate assessment.

Anyway, in the upcoming weeks and months, I plan to pick up some of the more storied records of his (and I know there's a record store in the area I'm gonna be tomorrow that had a copy of Pin Ups the last time I was there....didn't buy it then, 'cause I knew it was all covers and I want to hear his writing. But if it's still there tomorrow, it'll probably be coming home with me).

Good luck on those Bowie records. The prices are through the roof, glad I already had most of them.

I was never big on Let's Dance at the time either. But listening to it now, it was pretty cool to have that style of music and then hearing a Texas blue guitarist playing like Hendrix in the background.

slop101
01-19-16, 11:15 AM
BTW, looks like Bowie's Ziggy-era drummer, Dale Griffin, just passed away at age 67. He was also drummer for Mott the Hoople.

cungar
01-19-16, 11:27 AM
BTW, looks like Bowie's Ziggy-era drummer, Dale Griffin, just passed away at age 67. He was also drummer for Mott the Hoople.

Dale Griffin never played for Bowie. Woody Woodmansey was the drummer in the Spiders from Mars band. Griffin was Mott's drummer through their entire career.

rexinnih
01-19-16, 01:02 PM
In NYC for business and had to stop by outside his apt to pay my respects. Nice little fan memorial outside.

creekdipper
01-19-16, 01:48 PM
^ Agreed.

Although, on the other side, there are retailers, like Rough Trade Records (http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/1089), who for the entire month of January are donating all their profits from Bowie purchases to Cancer Research UK.
An unbelievable gesture, given that he has a new album out, along with the influx of purchases that are coming on the back of his death.

That is indeed an extremely generous gesture...especially, as you point out, with the increase in current sales of back catalog.

slop101
01-19-16, 04:14 PM
Amazon seems to be out of stock on almost every Bowie CD (not including 3rd party sellers), and there's no real deals to be found - they're charging full price for everything.

dom56
01-19-16, 04:36 PM

Wow, that pretty sad. A big Hoople fan. I tell you the musicians are dropping like fly. I hope Alice Cooper and Ozzy make it to the year.

slop101
01-21-16, 05:05 PM
This is hilarious.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NrtXFTw2ico" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Supermallet
01-21-16, 10:20 PM
His Iggy Pop was perfect.

The Antipodean
01-24-16, 10:27 PM
I am pleased to see there might be more in the vaults at some point (although posthumous releases do tend to turn into scraping the barrel, and truthfully, Blackstar was SUCH a perfect note to end his career on):

http://www.avclub.com/article/theres-more-david-bowie-music-set-release-2017-231185

According to a Newsweek article examining the fate of the Bowie archives—including a long discussion of the fate of the numerous mementos of his career that Bowie collected in his later years—there are at least a few more compilations of the man’s work that are set for release, with the first one expected for a 2017 release.

Supermallet
01-25-16, 02:33 PM
Anything they release now will be a footnote to Blackstar. I say release it, I'll get them.

hdnmickey
02-02-16, 07:58 PM
Gaga is doing the Bowie tribute at the Gammys

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/arts/music/lady-gaga-will-pay-tribute-to-david-bowie-at-the-grammys.html?_r=0

Love it. But I imagine this will make many others sick.

astrochimp
02-02-16, 08:07 PM
Gaga is doing the Bowie tribute at the Gammys

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/arts/music/lady-gaga-will-pay-tribute-to-david-bowie-at-the-grammys.html?_r=0

Love it. But I imagine this will make many others sick.

I'm good with that.

auto
02-02-16, 08:19 PM
The news reports seem to be muddy around these future releases. The sure don't seem to be suggesting a lost or new album.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0