Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Angel from Hell (CBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Maggie Lawson, Jane Lynch -- 1/7/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel from Hell (CBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Maggie Lawson, Jane Lynch -- 1/7/16

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

JANE LYNCH STARS AS AN ECCENTRIC WOMAN CLAIMING TO BE A GUARDIAN ANGEL WHOSE JOB IT IS TO HELP AN AMBITIOUS YOUNG DOCTOR GET HER LIFE ON COURSE, ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF "ANGEL FROM HELL," THURSDAY, JAN. 7

Jane Lynch, Maggie Lawson, Kevin Pollak and Kyle Bornheimer Star

"Pilot" - Allison, a successful, driven doctor, runs into Amy, a larger than life, eccentric woman who claims to be her "guardian angel," and whose mission is to help Allison loosen up and see her life from a new perspective, on the series premiere of ANGEL FROM HELL, Thursday, Jan. 7 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

ANGEL FROM HELL is a single-camera comedy about Amy, a colorful, brassy woman who insinuates herself into the life of an organized and seemingly perfect young woman, Allison, claiming to be her "guardian angel." Allison is an intense, driven doctor who is sure that Amy is just an inebriated, outspoken nut, until every one of her warnings proves true. Cautioned by Amy not tell anyone about her, Allison can't discuss this over-the-top oddball with her father and business partner, Marv, or her younger brother, Brad, a sales rep who lives in a guest room over her garage. As Allison tries to push Amy away, Amy makes her final pitch: her sole mission is to provide Allison with helpful guidance that nudges her in the right direction in life - and it's her final chance to prove herself as an angel. With that, Allison agrees to this unlikely relationship because maybe a weird friend is exactly what she needs... and what if Amy really is her "guardian angel"?

REGULAR CAST:

Jane Lynch (Amy)
Maggie Lawson (Allison)
Kevin Pollak (Marv)
Kyle Bornheimer (Brad)

GUEST CAST:

David Denman (Evan)
Liza Lapira (Jill)
Andrea Rosen (Elise)
Peter Banifaz (Berry Guy)
B.J. Tanner (Kid)
Jud Williford (Wally Jarvis)
Kevin Christy (Neighbor)

WRITTEN BY: Creator and Executive Producer Tad Quill

DIRECTED BY: Executive Producer Don Scardino

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Tad Quill and Don Scardino

13 episode 1st season

Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VafeQzJtbWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-07-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Angel from Hell (CBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Maggie Lawson, Jane Lynch -- 1/7/16

I'll give this a chance because I like Jane Lynch. But Maggie Lawson is a show killer.
Old 01-07-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Angel from Hell (CBS) -- Series Thread -- S: Maggie Lawson, Jane Lynch -- 1/7/16

Lawson, seems familiar but I can't place her...
Old 01-07-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by whotony
Lawson, seems familiar but I can't place her...
She was a regular on Psych and was also on that cancelled ABC sitcom Back in the Game from a few years ago.
Old 01-07-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Back in the Game. Liked that one. Never watched Psych.
Old 01-07-16, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was bad and instantly forgettable.
Old 01-11-16, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the pilot was ok. I'll give it a few more episodes.
Old 01-11-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't laugh once.
Old 01-17-16, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

I did chuckle seeing Joey McIntyre from New Kids on the Block as the special guest and he was about to see "The Right Stuff"

Not many laughs, but I was amused. Lynch is coming across as more annoying playing Amy the Angel.

on the plus side, I do like Maggie Lawson and she looks really good in this.

For a 30 minute comedy, this is a mixed bag so far. Only saving grace so far is the lead actress being really hot.
Old 02-10-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

So this was already cancelled and expunged from the lineup.

My wife and I thought it had some good laughs in it. Is there a site or a way that the cancelled episodes usually make it out? We'd like to see them.
Old 02-10-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod
So this was already cancelled and expunged from the lineup.

My wife and I thought it had some good laughs in it. Is there a site or a way that the cancelled episodes usually make it out? We'd like to see them.
It will probably be posted on CBS All Access if I had to guess.
Old 02-10-16, 02:51 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Back in the Game. Liked that one.
I miss seeing those legs in shorts. I enjoyed that show too.
Old 02-10-16, 02:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I've seen worse. Does anyone in the know carew to comment if production costs make or break shows when ratings are low? In other words, I've seen worse (per my taste of course) that are still showing. Insight on what was considered when it was decided to cancel a show.

Rick
Old 02-10-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rduncan
I've seen worse. Does anyone in the know carew to comment if production costs make or break shows when ratings are low? In other words, I've seen worse (per my taste of course) that are still showing. Insight on what was considered when it was decided to cancel a show.

Rick
Production costs have nothing to do with it.

Here's the reasoning

Produced by CBS Television Studios, Angel From Hell opened Jan. 7 to a 1.6 rating among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic and 8 million total viewers. It matched the recent performance of Warner Bros. Television-produced veteran 2 Broke Girls in the slot. Subsequent episodes have not done as well, with Angel's fifth broadcast on Feb. 4 pulling 6.3 million total viewers — its lowest haul to date. Factoring in delayed viewing, the series has been averaging a modest 20 percent uptick.
Live numbers weren't great, but the delayed viewing numbers sucked. 20% increase from DVR/delayed viewing is really bad.
Old 02-10-16, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am crossing my fingers Maggie Lawson will finally get a show that is worthy of her talents, or has to resort to a backroom casting couch appearance to pay the bills.

win/win