Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who liked TFA much more on their 2nd viewing?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-15, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

******************************SPOILERS************************************

I saw TFA last Friday night and walked out of the theater 'sort of' liking it, but I was on the fence on how much. The first viewing felt rushed, and alot of the big dramatic moments just didn't work for me as they were intended to. I started to think, "Here we go with another Prequel Trilogy....."

I saw it a 2nd time Sunday and it was like night and day. I loved it from start to finish as this time the pacing was perfect. The dramatic moments
Spoiler:
of Han's death and the ending where Rey finds Luke really worked for me

Now when I say its a great movie I say that from a certain point of view. It's not Empire Strikes Back great, but it's a great SW movie that satisfied me after the crappy Prequels and sort of redeemed the series.

I've noticed this happening to many friends and co-workers as they had a much better experience the 2nd time. The only thing I can think of is that we obsess over this thing for 2 years (spoilers, trailers, interviews, speculation) and get so worried about this and that on the 1st viewing, that you honestly never get to enjoy it. So the 2nd viewing you know exactly what to expect and you can sit back and enjoy.

Last edited by coli; 12-24-15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-24-15, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Who liked TFA much more on their 2nd viewing?

Yay! We needed more star wars threads!
Old 12-24-15, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I saw TFA last Friday night and walked out of the theater 'sort of' liking it, but I was on the fence on how much. The first viewing felt rushed, and alot of the big dramatic moments just didn't work for me as they were intended to. I started to think, "Here we go with another Prequel Trilogy....."

I saw it a 2nd time Sunday and it was like night and day. I loved it from start to finish as this time the pacing was perfect. The dramatic moments of Han's death and the ending where Rey finds Luke really worked for me. Now when I say its a great movie I say that from a certain point of view. It's not Empire Strikes Back great, but it's a great SW movie that satisfied me after the crappy Prequels and sort of redeemed the series.

I've noticed this happening to many friends and co-workers as they had a much better experience the 2nd time. The only thing I can think of is that we obsess over this thing for 2 years (spoilers, trailers, interviews, speculation) and get so worried about this and that on the 1st viewing, that you honestly never get to enjoy it. So the 2nd viewing you know exactly what to expect and you can sit back and enjoy.
I had a similar experience with Mad Max Fury Road. Thought it was much better on repeat viewings. The first go around you just soak things in, and stuff can seem rushed.
Old 12-24-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I saw it for the second time yesterday and I enjoyed it even more.
Old 12-24-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

You might want to spoiler some of the OP.

And, yes, enjoyed it a bit more the second time.
Old 12-24-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Haven't seen it a second time yet, but I will and I fully believe that I will like it more at that time. My initial viewing left me with a very lukewarm response to the film.
Old 12-24-15, 09:49 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

seeing this a 2nd time Sunday. can't freggin wait!!
Old 12-24-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked it more the 2nd time.
Old 12-24-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll tell you when it happens. :-(
Old 12-24-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

This always happens with a "great" movie. The first time you're judging the movie against your expectations going in. The second time, you're judging it on what's actually on-screen.
Old 12-24-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Definitely liked it more the second time.
Old 12-24-15, 02:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Me too. The issues I have were still there, but it was easier to sit back and go with the flow. The theater was almost as packed this morning as it was on Thursday night.
Old 12-24-15, 04:25 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

This movie has resonated more with me with each viewing (3 so far). I'm catching more character detail, looks and dialog inflection between characters
Spoiler:
Han and Rey
in particular and
Spoiler:
Han's death hits harder the second time.

The first viewing was just overwhelming that I was watching a movie that I (after the prequels) never in a million years would happen.
Old 12-24-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was better for me the 2nd go around, and I loved it the first time. I think without being caught up in the fast pace & worrying about what was going to happen, I was able to just enjoy it & catch all the small things I missed. I didn't think it was possible for
Spoiler:
Han's death to hit me harder, but alas, it really broke me up the 2nd time. Also, I really liked Kylo the 1st time, but I think I got him and his story more the 2nd go around.
I think he's now the character I am most interested in seeing wtf they are going to do with him in the future movies. He's interesting.
Old 12-24-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well some may say seeing TFA a second time is really the 3rd time if you saw ANH

anyway, I justified that the PT movies were better having seen them a second time so take that for what it's worth

I was not overwhelmed the first viewing, I didn't go in with major expectations, I was not caught up in pace or worried about what would happen ... It was just a very ordinary and derivative movie

I will likely be seeing it again in the near future since I promised I would go with my dad (who took me to the originals in theater) but I am highly doubtful my opinion will change much
Old 12-25-15, 12:29 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I was spoiler free completely before seeing it the first time, not even trailers on TV, and I liked it quite a bit on first viewing. Did not like it nearly as much second time but do think it is a very fun film. Not the story I would have wanted to see or the direction I would want them to go, but I understand why they did. I just wish the story would have taken a breath. All those things happening in essentially real time is something Abrams does and the story would have worked better as an arc over a year or more. Also far from a SW fanboy. But I could see why people would like it better the second time especially if you spoiled yourself.
Old 12-25-15, 05:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
All those things happening in essentially real time is something Abrams does and the story would have worked better as an arc over a year or more.
None of the other Star Wars films take place over that much of an expanded period.
Old 12-25-15, 05:40 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
None of the other Star Wars films take place over that much of an expanded period.
No, but it does not fit well here in my view. It should be driven more by character and situation not coincidence. Yes, I know the force is "shaping" events. Do not misunderstand that I dislike the film in any way, still one of the most enjoyable movies this year. But not a movie I would watch over and over or stop every time I pass it on TV which I so for some films.