Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Phantasm Blu-ray Release (2016)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-15-15, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Phantasm director talks J.J. Abrams' 4K restoration: 'The Tall Man's balls are a lot more shiny'
BY CLARK COLLIS • @CLARKCOLLIS

Phantasm
Posted December 14 2015 — 7:23 PM EST

Earlier this year, EW’s Anthony Breznican broke the news that director J.J. Abrams had given Gwendoline Christie’s character in Star Wars: The Force Awakens the name of Captain Phasma as a tribute to the 1979 horror film Phantasm. Well, it turns out Abrams is showing his love for the cult classic — in which Angus Scrimm’s character The Tall Man kills victims with flying spheres — in a more practical fashion too. In fact, the director’s company Bad Robot has overseen a 4K restoration of writer-director Don Coscarelli’s fright flick. “It’s really exciting, obviously,” says Coscarelli, whose other directing credits include 2002’s Bubba Ho-Tep and three Phantasm sequels. “I have to say, ‘Hat’s off to J.J.’ Star Wars isn’t the only ’70s franchise he’s rejuvenating this year!”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did J.J. Abrams get involved in this restoration project?
DON COSCARELLI: He’s a longtime fan of Phantasm. He saw the movie when he was a kid and it stuck with him. I first met him about 15 years ago. He was doing Felicity, and he called me out of the blue, and told me he was a fan. Then, I introduced him to Angus Scrimm, and he put him into the Alias TV series in a recurring role. [The restoration] came about because he wanted to show Phantasm at Bad Robot. I told him, “Well, the prints are really bad.” He generously offered to help create a restoration. Obviously that’s an offer we couldn’t refuse. [Laughs.]

J.J. had a tremendous amount of enthusiasm for making the film look as great as it could possibly look. You know, it was a movie made in the ’70s. Obviously a lot of the lab work and all those kinds of things wasn’t up to the level and sophistication [of today]. This is a meticulous 4K restoration from the original camera negative, which we went back and scanned, and, maybe even more exciting, a brand new 5.1 audio soundtrack. It really sounds great.

I think, for those longtime fans, it’s going to blow their minds. Because, for me, it’s like watching a different movie. It’s like I’ve been watching it with sunglasses for all of these years. It’s pretty amazing. I wonder how we were able to build such a devoted fanbase with all those old murky VHS tapes and even the standard-def DVDs that they’ve been watching over and over all these years. We had this screening out in Austin at that Butt-Numb-A-Thon festival, and there were a lot of fanboys and geeks, and they were as enthusiastic about it as I was. It was down at the Alamo Drafthouse, in Austin, on Saturday night. The owner of the Alamo, Tim League, is one of the best showmen working in movie exhibition these days. He actually commissioned two chrome sphere drones and he had them buzzing around the theater over the audience’s head at the screening. [Laughs] It was amazing!

So, is the restoration completely finished?
It was a little bit of a work in progress, what we showed. It’s going to be finished in the next month or so. Of course, the little downside is that I had to stop work on the fifth and final Phantasm — Phantasm: Ravager (which is being directed by David Hartman). But both of those movies are now pretty much done. We’ll looking for a first- or second-quarter release for both of them.

Do you have plans to show the restoration in theaters?
That’s definitely part of it, especially after this screening. It plays so beautifully up on the big screen. So, yeah, we’ve been talking to a number of people.

That aside, will there be a Blu-ray and DVD release of the restored film?
Oh, yeah, absolutely. The beautiful part about it nowadays is that fans have home theaters which are almost as good as real theaters. With the technology, they can see it in this beautiful — I mean, I guess you can say that the Tall Man’s balls are a lot more shiny. [Laughs.] I don’t know if you can put that in, but it’s true!

Don, I think I have my headline! What did you think when you heard J.J. had named a character in the new Star Wars film named after Phantasm?
Oh, I think it’s fantastic. We’ve always shared a bizarre [connection]. The first film came out not long after [Star Wars] and we have some little characters in Phantasm, these little dwarf creatures, with similar-ish costumes to characters in Star Wars, even though we had started shooting the original Phantasm before Star Wars came out. At the time we were thinking, Should we change the color of those wardbrobes? We were like, “Nah, nah, it’s a sci-fi movie, it’ll come, it’ll go, whatever. And of course it’s eternal!”

Maybe people would have liked the Star Wars prequels better if some characters had gotten their brains drilled out with silver balls.
Well, exactly.

You can see images from the restoration of Phantasm above and below.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/14...rams-star-wars
Old 12-15-15, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Phantasm Blu-ray Release (2016)

Awesome news!!! I really hope I get to see this on the big screen, and absolutely day one for the Blu-ray!!!
Old 12-15-15, 08:11 AM

BOY!!!

Can't wait to see this!
Old 12-15-15, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Great news, and it's about time!

I wonder if I can cut another slot in the foam of my Phantasm Sphere set?
Old 12-15-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Lens flare joke!
Old 12-15-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm wondering if we'll get the other sequels. Scream Factory released Phantasm II quite a while ago but its the only one available on Blu-ray to date.
Old 12-15-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Phinally!

I hope we get all of the films on BD in 2016. I'm a big fan of the entire series.
Old 12-15-15, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm wondering if we'll get the other sequels. Scream Factory released Phantasm II quite a while ago but its the only one available on Blu-ray to date.
Yes, hopefully 3 and 4 will show up around the time 5 gets released!
Old 12-16-15, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

yes.
Old 12-17-15, 11:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just sold all my SD Phantasms on eBay for a hefty price. I'll buy this one on BD because it was the best of all of them.
Old 12-17-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sparks
Just sold all my SD Phantasms on eBay for a hefty price. I'll buy this one on BD because it was the best of all of them.
Was the DVD of the first film valuable or something?
Old 12-18-15, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Was the DVD of the first film valuable or something?
My mistake, I sold the first three for $60. It was all the sealed Disney Treasure Tins that I sold for $2500.
Old 12-18-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news. This has been on top of my blu-ray wish list since the beginning.
Old 12-18-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

It was all the sealed Disney Treasure Tins that I sold for $2500.
Jeez. How many were there? Had no idea they were that wanted.
Old 12-18-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I remember spending a fair bit on a laser disc box set back in the day (might have been limited).
Old 12-18-15, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I remember spending a fair bit on a laser disc box set back in the day (might have been limited).

It was nothing to spend $35 on a CLV LD and over $75 for a CAV. Now, we bitch because TT wants $30 for a BD...go figure.

Those Disney tins, undented and sealed go for a pretty penny, as I can attest to!
Old 12-18-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Back in the day, I didn't have a life so I could easily justify $75 for a movie and a $1500 large n loud Elite LD player.

But I will get this release.
Old 12-18-15, 05:20 PM

I remember standing in Ken Cranes with a bunch of LDs looking at two TVs, one showing a new DVD and a LD of the same movie. I turned to the guy next to me and said, "It'll never catch on, it's only a click or two up in clarity!"

Last edited by sparks; 12-18-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was nothing to spend $35 on a CLV LD and over $75 for a CAV. Now, we bitch because TT wants $30 for a BD...go figure.
But not everybody bought those. And with $5-$15 BD's being so easy to find, it's like saying that $70-$150 for should have been the norm for an LD.
Old 12-18-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The 5.1 remix sounds great and all, just don't omit the mono, OK?!
Old 12-18-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The 5.1 remix sounds great and all, just don't omit the mono, OK?!
What's a mono?
Old 12-18-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I remember standing in Ken Cranes with a bunch of LDs looking at two TVs, one showing a new DVD and a LD of the same movie. I turned to the guy next to me and said, "It'll never catch on, it's only a click or two up in clarity!"
I remember what turned out to be the last days of laser discs, where the discussion was how the DVD image was compromised by compression vs the "purer" image of the LD, -I'm over-simplifying, but there were those discussions. The inescapable fact was the DVD image was better and a cheaper package with a larger capacity. But I remember loving those large box sets that a special edition LD set came in and I still have them sitting around though I can no longer play them.
Old 12-18-15, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
But not everybody bought those. And with $5-$15 BD's being so easy to find, it's like saying that $70-$150 for should have been the norm for an LD.
Then obviously you didn't collect LDs. The only thing that saved me was eBay and used LDs at Lazer Blazer in West L.A.
Old 12-18-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember what turned out to be the last days of laser discs, where the discussion was how the DVD image was compromised by compression vs the "purer" image of the LD, -I'm over-simplifying, but there were those discussions. The inescapable fact was the DVD image was better and a cheaper package with a larger capacity. But I remember loving those large box sets that a special edition LD set came in and I still have them sitting around though I can no longer play them.
The same bullshit "warmer" sound of vinyl over CD. People love their formats.
Old 12-18-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

I remember what turned out to be the last days of laser discs, where the discussion was how the DVD image was compromised by compression vs the "purer" image of the LD, -I'm over-simplifying, but there were those discussions. The inescapable fact was the DVD image was better and a cheaper package with a larger capacity.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The same bullshit "warmer" sound of vinyl over CD. People love their formats.
Have you taken a look at any of those first wave of DVDs from 1997 recently? They look dreadful. The DVD format did get much better eventually, but the titles released during the first year or two had serious quality issues that, in some respects, did make them inferior to Laserdisc. That early MPEG-2 coding was nightmarish, and several major studios (including Disney, Fox and even Criterion) didn't support anamorphic enhancement.

Blu-ray had similar problems during its launch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.