Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What film (or films) made Marlon Brando so wealthy?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-09-15, 10:54 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

We all know the late period Brando who owned an island and was really fat and barely ever worked and gave interviews even less. What movie made him so rich? I don't think it was the Godfather.
Old 12-09-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts
Re: What film (or films) made Marlon Brando so wealthy?

Old 12-09-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Brando became hugely sought after in the wake of The Godfather and was one of the highest paid actor of the 70's, with Superman notoriously being the biggest payday.

He actually bought the island well before his 70's comeback. Mutiny on the Bounty was filmed near the island and he decided to buy it after falling in love with the area.

edit: I'll also add that the island was turned into a resort, so he made money off of it.
Old 12-09-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Millions for Marlon Brando

A guide to what the actor made on films like ''The Godfather,'' ''Superman,'' and others

http://www.ew.com/article/2004/07/02...-marlon-brando
Old 12-09-15, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3.7 million for those few minutes in Superman in 70's $'s was huge at the time.
Old 12-09-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thing I can't figure out, is why the filmmakers thought it was so important to have Marlon Brando in Superman they'd pay him all that money. Isn't the audience for Superman: The Movie going to be people interested in Superman, not some old fart mumbling during the first ten minutes? I've read some old movie reviews from '79, and I assure you, they don't spend much time talking about Brando.
Old 12-09-15, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cuz he's super as fuck popular? That's why he was in Superman?

Even better question: At what point did he become very lazy in his method of work? I'm not saying the guy didn't act great. He did. But... some of the stories I've heard of him suggesting lazier approaches to the work he'd be doing are crazy.

<iframe width="520" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BvELw4_pdXQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
At what point did he become very lazy in his method of work?
Last great role where he still cared : Last Tango in Paris (1972)

First role where he stopped caring : The Missouri Breaks (1976)

There were some good ones in his "I don't give a rat's ass phase" such as A Dry White Season.
Old 12-09-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Thing I can't figure out, is why the filmmakers thought it was so important to have Marlon Brando in Superman they'd pay him all that money. Isn't the audience for Superman: The Movie going to be people interested in Superman, not some old fart mumbling during the first ten minutes? I've read some old movie reviews from '79, and I assure you, they don't spend much time talking about Brando.
Superhero films didn't have much of a track record back then. They needed a big star attached.
Old 12-09-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Superhero films didn't have much of a track record back then. They needed a big star attached.
Now that I think about , I had forgotten about the cheesy Superman 1950s TV. I suppose it does make sense to get an actor known for more mature work to head up the Superman movie as a way of announcing, "This is going to be more sophisticated."
Old 12-09-15, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that I think about , I had forgotten about the cheesy Superman 1950s TV. I suppose it does make sense to get an actor known for more mature work to head up the Superman movie as a way of announcing, "This is going to be more sophisticated."
Which Batman Begins did. It adds more value to an audience seeing someone like that in a film of this kind.
Old 12-09-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah, the Salkinds felt the movie would be taken more seriously if it had a substantial supporting cast. And hiring Brando for that kind of money got an awful lot of publicity at the time. It was a big story. And let's not forget that another big star from the 1950s is in the film, Brando's co-star from TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON, Glenn Ford! And the two both play Superman's father. And Gene Hackman, already a highly regarded actor at the time, played the villain.
Old 12-09-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by watson503
$3.7 million for those few minutes in Superman in 70's $'s was huge at the time.
Plus it was just a week's worth of filming, if memory serves. People forget Chris Reeve got THIRD billing in that movie.
Old 12-09-15, 05:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts

how much did he make for The Score?
Old 12-10-15, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Brando eventually back out of the James Woods priest role in Scary Movie. A million dollars for a couple days work. I remember Woods having a go at Brando for this on the Tonight Show when he was promoting the film. I'm kind of glad he backed out as that would have been a worse film to retire on than Welcome To Mooseport.
Old 12-10-15, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
The equivalent today would be shoehorning Ben Affleck and Jessie Eisenberg into a Superman movie.
Old 12-12-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Seems hard to imagine now, but in 1979 comic books were literally for children and the concept of a big budget Superman film was a huge risk. Getting Brando in the movie gave it legitimacy
Old 12-13-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by watson503
That amount is big at anytime for little work.
Didn't Bruce Willis want $7 million or something for 5 days work on Expendables 3?
Hence him not being in it or "out of the picture" to quote Ford.