Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 12-08-15, 09:19 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Amazon just debuted their new Add-On Subscription service to Prime Streaming. You can now subscribe to premium services like Showtime, Starz, AcornTV, Shudder, DramaFever, ConTV, and many others. You can watch the videos through Amazon's app. And you can also use your Amazon account to sign-in on the individual stand-alone apps.

www.amazon.com/videosubscriptions

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WXYNP7ffWLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Amazon Brings Showtime, Starz and Other Video Services to Prime As Add-Ons

Amazon’s Prime members just got a new perk: Showtime and Starz, unbundled and cheap. The internet company launched a new initiative called “Streaming Partners Program” Tuesday that allows Prime members to add subscription programming from close to 20 partners for an added fee to their Prime video service.

Some of the add-on programming includes Showtime, Starz, the Lifetime Movie Club, AMC’s Shudder and SundanceNow subscription services, Comedy Central’s Standup+ Service, Acorn TV, Dramafever, the Dove Channel, IndieFlix and Ring TV Boxing. Consumers will be able to pick and choose these add-ons on an a la carte basis, and change their lineup month to month.

---------------

Add-on subscriptions are available through Amazon’s video app on Android, iOS, Kindle Fire, Roku, Fire TV and other supported devices, which the company touts as an easier way to consume subscription video services. Consumers can, however, also use their Amazon credentials to log into the stand-alone apps of participating services, which will be good news to anyone looking to stream any of this programming on Chromecast or Apple TV. Amazon is currently embroiled in a dispute with both companies, and has yet to extend Prime video support to their platforms.

At least in some cases, it’s also cheaper: Showtime will be available for just $8.99 a month, compared to the $10.99 a month a user pays when subscribing through Apple’s iTunes store or Google Play. However, Hulu is also reselling Showtime for $8.99 a month as part of its effort to build a similar a la carte bouquet on top of its existing subscription service.

Amazon has plans to add additional partners to the program in the future, which could include sports and at some point possibly even live programming.

READ MORE - http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...me-1201656131/
Old 12-08-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

So it looks like this applies to current shows, like a cable add-on subscription would? They're offering The Affair season 2 and Masters of Sex season 3, among others, in the Showtime package.

I wonder if this would be easier to sign up for and drop than a cable equivalent.
Old 12-08-15, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
I wonder if this would be easier to sign up for and drop than a cable equivalent.
Dealing with my cable company requires 10 minutes to get through the "Press 1 for English" labyrinth, followed by 30+ minutes of "Your call is important to us, please wait for the next customer service representative" never-ending hell.
Old 12-08-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

So it looks like this applies to current shows, like a cable add-on subscription would? They're offering The Affair season 2 and Masters of Sex season 3, among others, in the Showtime package.

Yes, this is the same as the Showtime stand alone streaming service. Just bundled with Amazon. Shows like Homeland/The Affair, etc are available to stream the very second they air on the TV channel.

And also, yes this would be MUCH easier to sign up for than cable. And more importantly, drop. You can simply manage your subscriptions online & turn it off & it will stop after the billing cycle. Rather than having to make a call to your cable company & have them try to talk you into retaining.

Now it's time for Amazon to offer a monthly streaming-only plan & separate from the $100/annual that includes shipping, music, and Kindle books.
Old 12-08-15, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I already subscribe to Starz and Showtime through Directv. I have 6 months of credits that run through next April keeping my cost to $6.99 to Starz and $7.99 for Showtime. So I'm good with them.

I also subscribe to DramaFever, mainly for my Mom who's into Korean dramas. We pay a $40 flat rate per year directly through them as a grandfathered rate. It's actually cheaper than this.

I'm intrigued by Shudder. Does anyone here subscribe to it? I like that it's a horror themed SVOD add-on and $4.99 isn't outrageous.

Most of the other content seems a little too niche and not really in my interests.
Old 12-08-15, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm intrigued by Shudder. Does anyone here subscribe to it? I like that it's a horror themed SVOD add-on and $4.99 isn't outrageous.
I've been a Shudder subscriber since it opened. And I'm pretty happy with it. It's geared towards the serious horror fan. Mainstream fans looking for Hollywood movies like Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream will probably be disappointed. There's a lot of foreign movies. Euro-horror from Argento, Bava, Fulci, Rollin, etc. Asian horror from Korean and Japan like Tale of Two Sisters and Audition. Some great stuff you won't find anywhere else.

Even though the catalog is small (around 300 movies), I'd say at least 90% are worth watching. They do a great job of picking interesting movies. There's very little filler.

My only gripes are that I wish they had more movies. They don't update very often. And some of the foreign movies are English dub. Although they seem to be getting better with that.

You should give it a try. I think it's a 2-week free trial, then they charge $4.99/month. Here's the site if you want to see which titles they offer:

https://www.shudder.com/
Old 12-08-15, 10:46 PM

I'd also recommend Acorn TV. They have a great library of British Mysteries and Drama shows. They also have some stuff from Australia and a few foreign language shows from Europe.

https://acorn.tv/browse/browseall
Old 12-09-15, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

How can you see the prices?
Old 12-09-15, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
How can you see the prices?
Click on the free trial button.
Old 12-09-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Click on the free trial button.
Thought about that but didn't want to activate the trial yet. Will it take me to a screen to verify the trial? I'm about to go out of town so I want to keep the trials for January.
Old 12-09-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Darn it blocked at work anyway Will have to wait until I get home tomorrow. Showtime and Starz seem promising.
Old 12-09-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Cable makes a ton of money from premium subscribers. That sound you hear are cable executives crying themselves to sleep tonight.
Old 12-09-15, 12:37 AM

Showtime and Starz are each $8.99/month with a 1-week free trial.

Everything else seems to be $4.99/month. A few are $3.99/month (DramaFever, Lifetime, Comedy Central).

Looks like everything has at least a 1-week free trial. A few are two weeks. Acorn TV has a 1-month free trial.
Old 12-09-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!!

One WEEK Free trial? Lame.

I have iTunes credits for 5 months of HBO + Showtime (although I may do a month of each separately to spread them out and alternate them over ten months). I can see doing Showtime and Starz but not on a regular basis. Subscribe, see a bunch of stuff that month, unsubscribe. I only use Hulu when a new season of Grey's Anatomy or Biggest Loser comes out (and freeze it like now when GA is in hiatus).
Old 12-09-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can understand Showtime but IMO, everything else listed should be regular no-additional-cost prime. If this is the route they are going I don't see much of a reason to keep prime. What are they going to add to prime this month? I see nothing new that is of any interest to me.
Old 12-09-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Easy
I can understand Showtime but IMO, everything else listed should be regular no-additional-cost prime. If this is the route they are going I don't see much of a reason to keep prime. What are they going to add to prime this month? I see nothing new that is of any interest to me.
Starz is also a premium subscription-based service like Showtime.

The $99 yearly fee is mainly for the shipping. The original shows/extra shows are just extras added as a courtesy.

This new content being introduced costs extra and can't just be given away for peanuts.
Old 12-09-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The $99 yearly fee is mainly for the shipping. The original shows/extra shows are just extras added as a courtesy.

This new content being introduced costs extra and can't just be given away for peanuts.
Yeah, I was going to mention Starz as being a premium channel with original content.

This is a different model. Prime and Netflix streaming deal in catalog content. I can see the point with a channel like Acorn that I presume deals in catalog content, but Showtime and Starz are offering current content like HBO Now is. That can't be rolled into subscription streaming.

Given the current trend of binge watching, these kinds of services make it easy to subscribe for a month, watch a year's worth of stuff, then cancel till next year. I only subscribe to HBO Now while GOT is on.
Old 12-09-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please, don't make me laugh. Sure, cable and satellite want you to believe that Starz, FX, AMC and others are premium channels, and they certainly charge premium prices, but the truth is they never have more than one, maybe two, shows that appeal to me at all so the premium label (and cost) just isn't justified. At least, not for me.

Is that a fact? I seem to recall them "giving away" the FX shows "Justified" and "The Americans" (among others) to prime subscribers to view at absolutely no cost... not even peanuts.

If it is indeed only about shipping, I don't ship enough to make the $99 annual cost a worthwhile investment.
Old 12-09-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, don't make me laugh. Sure, cable and satellite want you to believe that Starz, FX, AMC and others are premium channels, and they certainly charge premium prices, but the truth is they never have more than one, maybe two, shows that appeal to me at all so the premium label (and cost) just isn't justified. At least, not for me.

Is that a fact? I seem to recall them "giving away" the FX shows "Justified" and "The Americans" (among others) to prime subscribers to view at absolutely no cost... not even peanuts.

If it is indeed only about shipping, I don't ship enough to make the $99 annual cost a worthwhile investment.
FX and AMC are basic cable channels and not in the same ballpark as Showtime, Starz and HBO.
Old 12-09-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk God

You seem to have these confused.

FX, TNT and AMC are advertiser supported basic cable channels, not premium channels. They all have commercials on TV and movies are edited for time and content.

Starz is basically the same as HBO, they run uncut commercial free movies shortly after they are released on BD and some original shows. Outlander, which is on Starz, is one of their original shows. It's R rated content with graphic nudity, violence and sex that TNT or AMC can't show.

Regarding Amazon Prime, the original point of the service was the 2-day shipping. Shows like Bosch, Mozart in the Jungle, The Man in the High Castle along with other basic cable shows like Justified, Orphan Black etc. are all included as part of the service at no extra charge. It's supposed to be an extra incentive to subscribe to it. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. All this extra content that Amazon is offering (especially Showtime and Starz) don't have the same kind of deals as the others and thus costs more. Which is why they have the added on monthly fee to the yearly $99.
Old 12-10-15, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starz is great and easily worth the $8.99 to binge Outlander, Black Sails, Power, Ash vs. Evil Dead, etc.
Old 12-10-15, 07:16 AM

I can see the point with a channel like Acorn that I presume deals in catalog content
Acorn has been releasing new stuff on the streaming service before they put it on DVD.
Old 12-10-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
Starz is great and easily worth the $8.99 to binge Outlander, Black Sails, Power, Ash vs. Evil Dead, etc.
Yep, Black Sails is very underrated (I like it a lot) and most of us here know how wildly entertaining Ash vs. Evil Dead has been so far.

Starz might be a better pick than Showtime right now.
Old 12-10-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yep, Black Sails is very underrated (I like it a lot) and most of us here know how wildly entertaining Ash vs. Evil Dead has been so far.

Starz might be a better pick than Showtime right now.
Their movie selection is better
Old 12-10-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion
I have zero interest in those other shows but I'll definitely get it for a month so I can watch through Outlander.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.