Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Leftovers (S2E10) -- 75 Minute Finale -- "I Live Here Now" -- 12/6/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-15, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Leftovers (S2E10) -- 75 Minute Finale -- "I Live Here Now" -- 12/6/15

Kevin (Justin Theroux) comes clean to a skeptical John (Kevin Carroll) about his connection to Evie's disappearance, as Miracle faces an unexpected threat on the fourth anniversary of The Departure.

Written by Damon Lindelof & Tom Perrotta; directed by Mimi Leder.

Final episode of the season. A potential 3rd season is still unknown/TBD
Old 12-06-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Leftovers (S2E10) -- 75 Minute Finale -- "I Live Here Now" -- 12/6/15

Do the right thing HBO

Damon Lindelof: I don't know what the answer to the last part is. I can guess at what those things are, but no one has told me what the rules are. I know that HBO is really happy with the creative of the show; they've been immensely supportive of what we wanted to do, and they've been highly collaborative and pleased with the results. That said, all of us have to take a pragmatic look at the numbers. HBO is not Netflix or Amazon. The numbers of the show are known, and the truth of the matter is that the ratings are down from season 1. If the show was always an underperformer, the little engine that could, and the trajectory was flat, or up or down a little bit, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in now. The reality is, everybody felt that the show was ascending a bit, creatively and ratings-wise, towards the end of the season, and in the interim between the two seasons, we lost a lot of the audience coming into this year. That's the situation that we're in. The critical buzz, the critical response, and the fan response, has been much more positive this year than it was last year. And that matters; that's important. But I think what would be great is if there were some kind of bump in the finale ratings. We actually saw an uptick in the ratings for episode 9, which I was surprised by, considering we were up against "The Walking Dead" mid-season finale and an incredible football game that I was watching and rooting for the Broncos. It would be great if that trajectory continued. It would probably be bad if we lost viewership from episode 9 to the finale. Any case that can be made for a show that is picking up momentum would be huge. But the reality is, I'm talking to HBO. We're going to sit down before the holidays and get a sense of where everybody's head is at. I certainly want to make more episodes of "The Leftovers." That's kind of how things sit.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...LD2Wi3F2vKe.99
Old 12-06-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

So the big reveal is that a bunch of chain smoking hippies walk down a bridge. For real?
Old 12-06-15, 10:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

"MOTHERFUCKER!"

I loved this season, hope we get a season 3.

I think Jarden is located on a Hellmouth

So it ends similarly to season 1, with Kevin making his way though a Guilty Remanent mess to return to his family.

Loved the dog running the fuck out of town.
Old 12-06-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So how exactly did Kevin get to the lake with the cement block before the girls when it showed them leaving for there when he was just going into his house?

It might have been nice for Kevin to tell John where his daughter was after he finally saw her. Kevin couldn't have known John had already seen his daughter at that point.

So was running naked through the woods part of the GR initiation for the girls? Still one of the most perplexing things about this season. Also, just like Evie's mother I don't understand why she would join the GR.
Old 12-06-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop asking reasonable questions!
Old 12-06-15, 11:31 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
So how exactly did Kevin get to the lake with the cement block before the girls when it showed them leaving for there when he was just going into his house?
In the season premiere the quake happened around 3:00am so they didn't go straight there.
Old 12-06-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got caught up on episdoes 6-9 earlier today and then just watched the finale. Good finale despite the Guilty Remnant crap. I do want to know why those girls joined up. I kind wish there had been a brief flashback to when Mary previously woke up.
Old 12-07-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This might have been the single greatest season of television I've ever seen.
Old 12-07-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It might have been nice for Kevin to tell John where his daughter was after he finally saw her. Kevin couldn't have known John had already seen his daughter at that point.

So was running naked through the woods part of the GR initiation for the girls? Still one of the most perplexing things about this season. Also, just like Evie's mother I don't understand why she would join the GR.
Protip: Teenage girls do weird, stupid shit.
Old 12-07-15, 01:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Great finale

If HBO doesn't give this another season hopefully Netflix or somebody does
Old 12-07-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I'm out.
I decided to give this whole season a shot and it didn't work out.

Too many people doing stupid things for no real believable reason. Reverting back to Guilty Remnant for story lines is lame. It really feels like they're just making shit up as they go along and have no real end-game in place. Just a bunch of weird shit that's happening with whiny people walking around doing stupid things.

There are definitely some cool scenes and aspects (ie. the hotel thing a couple episodes back really had a David Lynch feel to it) but it's not adding up to anything.
Old 12-08-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Great finale. I'll be pretty satisfied if that is the end of the series.

I think you can assume they talked about it. We didn't need to see that conversation as we already knew that John had seen his daughter.
Old 12-08-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode and season. Thanks to Madonna for not allowing "Like a Prayer" for the karaoke scene. "Homeward Bound" was perfect.
Old 12-08-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm out.
I decided to give this whole season a shot and it didn't work out.
A little late to be giving up, don't you think?

I've enjoyed this season a lot more than the first. It actually felt like the plot went somewhere and some resolution was reached. I wouldn't mind a third season, but this finale was a decent ending if we don't get one.

A few unanswered questions:

-- Why were the girls running naked through the forest in the first episode?

-- What was Regina King's character referring to when she told the father that he would not "let it go." Judging from his reaction, it was much more than the dead cricket that she was talking about. (My take: she was referring to how he was molested, and it has led to rage issues throughout his life.)

-- As others asked, why did the girls join the Smokers? Apparently King's character knew, but I was scratching my head trying to come up with an answer.

-- There are probably some other unanswered weirdness I can't remember.

Last edited by funkyryno; 12-08-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I liked how Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" was on the wheel
Old 12-08-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
A little late to be giving up, don't you think?
Only if it's not renewed for another season.
Old 12-09-15, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

-- As others asked, why did the girls join the Smokers? Apparently King's character knew, but I was scratching my head trying to come up with an answer.
Teenage rebellion? Evie was probably pissed at her dad for letting what happened to him affect how he treated the whole family.
She was clearly the dominating one among those girls and probably pressured the others to join as well.
Old 12-10-15, 08:59 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I really loved Season 2, but thought the finale was so-so. I have to watch it again because this is the type of show where you may look at things differently a 2nd time. Hope its renewed for Season 3!
Old 12-10-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Loved the dog running the fuck out of town.
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!"

Originally Posted by Coral
Reverting back to Guilty Remnant for story lines is lame.
This was my one gripe with the season. The "GR big event" finale felt like a retread of the S1 finale. Otherwise, I really loved this season.

Originally Posted by pjflyer
for not allowing "Like a Prayer" for the karaoke scene.
I saw that on the wheel and thought, "oh, crap, I hope he doesn't have to sing Like A Prayer."

Originally Posted by JTH182
I liked how Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" was on the wheel
I guess "Wheel In The Sky" would be too on-the-nose.

This is what will bug me if we don't get a Season 3. I've pondered a few possibilities. Could John have been abusive to one or both of his children? Sexually abusive? A 'cycle of abuse' as it is known. Also, there were hints that maybe there was someone from Jarden who Departed. John's son said something about it, and we saw him scraping that "No Departed" sticker off his house. That could have been referring to Evie, but I got the sense it was more of a reference to the original Departure.
Old 12-10-15, 12:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

They're talking about John. He was "departed" while he was in prison.
Old 12-10-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Renewed for a third, final season

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-left...bo-1201664741/

Handjobs all around:

“It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta and the extraordinary talent behind The Leftovers for its third and final season,” said HBO’s Michael Lombardo. “This show has proven to be one of the most distinctive HBO series and we are extremely proud of its unrivaled originality, which has resulted in such a passionate following by our HBO viewers. We admire and fully support Damon’s artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season.”

“I have never, ever experienced the level of creative support and trust that I have received from HBO during the last two seasons of The Leftovers,” said Damon Lindelof. “Tom, myself and our incredible team of writers and producers put tremendous care into designing those seasons as novels unto themselves…with beginnings, middles and ends. As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model…and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring The Leftovers to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be.”

Last edited by RichC2; 12-10-15 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-10-15, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-10-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Yes!
Old 12-10-15, 05:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Woo! Superb 2nd season, glad we get a 3rd given the low ratings...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.