Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Woo's The Crossing -- S: Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Ziyi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Has anyone here seen or heard of this movie?

It's broken up into 2 parts and was released in Asia over the last year or so. Part 2 came out earlier this year. It's similar to what was done with Red Cliff. This was John Woo's big comeback after taking several years off.

Trailer for Part 1:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xHqneqezpZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trailer for Part 2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fStNj2-rbe4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's basically been described as the Chinese Titanic. It's a mix of a period war drama/romance and disaster flick.

I'd like to see it. It looks interesting. I'm a sucker for these big budget Chinese period dramas. But there appears to be no DVD/BD release coming Stateside yet and the Taiwanese BD release of Part 1 is $36 on Yes Asia, which is way overpriced.
Old 12-01-15, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: John Woo's The Crossing -- S: Takeshi Kaneshiro, Zhang Ziyi

Hrm. Never even heard of it. Granted....I don't particularly care for Woo out of some of his older films and Red Cliff (that thing was insanely legendary in scope)
Old 12-01-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'd like to see it. It looks interesting. I'm a sucker for these big budget Chinese period dramas. But there appears to be no DVD/BD release coming Stateside yet and the Taiwanese BD release of Part 1 is $36 on Yes Asia, which is way overpriced.
JSDVD has the Taiwan Blu-ray for $22, which with the ~$10 minimum airmail to the US places it at about $32 shipped:
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/advanced_search...s&currency=USD

I think us importers got a bit spoiled by the DVD pricing in HK and Taiwan, which was usually significantly cheaper. Blu-rays seem to be much more niche and thus higher priced. For example, the R3 Taiwan DVD is only $10.
Old 12-01-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
JSDVD has the Taiwan Blu-ray for $22, which with the ~$10 minimum airmail to the US places it at about $32 shipped:
http://dvd.jsdvd.com/advanced_search...s&currency=USD

I think us importers got a bit spoiled by the DVD pricing in HK and Taiwan, which was usually significantly cheaper. Blu-rays seem to be much more niche and thus higher priced. For example, the R3 Taiwan DVD is only $10.
Still too expensive, but thanks for looking. The shipping kills it. And yes, BD's in HK are extremely expensive. I was there in June and went shopping for a few titles and the prices range between $20-30 per title. Even older catalog titles are in the high teens.

Guess I'll have to wait until a distributor like Well Go USA or Magnet release it here in the States. The most I'm willing to spend is between 12-15 bucks.
Old 12-01-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine a US release will combine the two films, similar to what happened with Red Cliff, so getting them at a budget price seems feasible.
Old 12-01-15, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having seen the bootlegged version, I can tell you this isn't worth $32. The stories are nice with a great cast, but I felt disappointed. The stories switches one after another and it felt very scattered. Either it was a very poor editing job or not enough background setup on each story buildup. It was definitely on par with Woo's technique, very little foreplay, straight into the hardcore steamy sex.
Old 12-02-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Blu-rays seem to be much more niche and thus higher priced.
Aren't VCDs still popular in Asia? If the home video market is OK with that type of PQ I can certainly understand why the average consumer over there would be reluctant to shell out for Blus.

Old 12-02-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
Aren't VCDs still popular in Asia?
I'm not sure how "popular" a format it is, but VCDs are still made and released. I think it's less and less common for a film or TV show to get a VCD release nowadays though.

Also, for TV shows, it's become popular to squeeze a bunch of episodes onto DVDs using highly compressed video (lower bitrates, less keyframes). These are referred to as X-DVD or HDVD, although they more-or-less conform to DVD spec and can be played in most DVD players. Sometimes you'll see separate "DVD" and "HDVD" releases, with the latter being cheaper and consisting of less discs:
http://www.yesasia.com/us/customer-s...on-answer.html
http://www.buyoyo.com/buyoyo/eng/Pro...65673&prtype=0

But yeah, the Asian markets seem more concerned about price than quality, so I don't think Blu-ray has caught on too much.